ADVERTISEMENT

Post game quotes & notes from RU official site:

Abro1975

Hall of Famer
Nov 21, 2009
http://www.scarletknights.com/news/2017/12/16/mens-basketball-rutgers-overcomes-13-point-deficit-to-rock-no-15-seton-hall-at-the-rac.aspx

Post-Game Notes

Rutgers defeated a nationally-ranked team for the first time since topping No. 4 Wisconsin, 67-62, on Jan. 11, 2015. In each of Rutgers' last two wins over ranked opponents, they have erased double-digit point deficits – 14 against Wisconsin and 13 against Seton Hall.
Rutgers defeated a nationally-ranked Seton Hall squad for the second time ever, with the first coming at the Rock, 70-64, over the No. 22 Pirates on Feb. 4, 2001.
The game's attendance was 8,318, signaling the largest crowd at the RAC since February 23, 2002 for a 66-60 Rutgers win over Seton Hall. It was the first capacity crowd at the RAC since Ohio State on Feb. 8, 2015.
In the final 6:06 after calling a timeout to stop a 9-0 SHU run, Rutgers defense held the Pirates to: 0-8 FG shooting, 2-2 FT shooting and forced 4 turnovers, ending the game on a 17-2 run.
The Rutgers win snaps a four-game Seton Hall winning streak in the Garden State Hardwood Classic dating back to a 56-51 Rutgers win at Seton Hall on March 8, 2013. The Pirates now leads the all-time series 39-30 dating back to 1916.
Corey Sanders was awarded the Joe Calabrese Game MVP with 22 points on 9-of-16 shooting and four rebounds. Sanders' 22 was his career high in three games against Seton Hall, while averaging 17.7 points per game over those three contests.
Rutgers improves to 18-1 in non-conference home games under Steve Pikiell.
Deshawn Freeman recorded a double-double (12 points, 16 rebounds), his second consecutive double-double, fifth of the season and 15th of his career. His 16 rebounds tie a career-high and mark the eighth time he's led the Scarlet Knights on the boards this season.
Rutgers grabbed 19 offensive rebounds, including 12 in the second half (+16 scoring differential), as the Scarlet Knights continue to lead the NCAA in offensive rebounding with 16.2 per contest.
The win marked the eighth time this season at least four Scarlet Knights have scored in double-figures in a game.
Double-figure season/career marks: Geo Baker (10th/10th), Sanders (10th/54th), Freeman (11th/35th).
Mike Williams scored five points and is now six points away from joining the 1,000-Point Club (994).
Eugene Omoruyi finished one rebound shy of a double-double (10 points, nine rebounds), with his nine rebounds going down as a new career high for the sophomore.
The Scarlet Knights played the fourth of five straight contests at the RAC against metro opponents, and the final game of a 4-of-7 stretch featuring ranked/receiving votes opponents.
The lead only changed hands one time in this game, at the 2:22 mark in the second half. Seton Hall led for 34:21 and by as many as 13 with 8:15 left in the first half.
The Scarlet Knights' eight turnovers were the second lowest mark of the season.
Rutgers forced Seton Hall to commit a season-high 18 turnovers and limited Angel Delgado to single digit points (5) for just the second time this season.

Post-Game Quotes

Rutgers Head Coach Steve Pikiell

Opening Statement: First, as always, I want to thank the fans. The environment was awesome. I respect Seton Hall tremendously. They are well coached, have good players, and I knew it would be one of those games. I'm really proud of our guys. We weren't making shots, weren't making free throws, but we just hung in there. That's what we've done and we figured out a way to win. But I'm really thankful for the community, the students, the cheerleaders and the dance team, what an environment. It was awesome. And I'm proud of these guys. They've worked so hard. Mike [Williams] has been through four of these games. They've been tough, and to have them experience the joy of winning against a really good team that I have a tremendous amount of respect for is a good thing."

On what the win can do for the program: "Just this environment. If we can keep it like that, it's a real tough place to play. We've been in games, plugging away and have been close, and I thought we had tremendous poise down the stretch. Corey [Sanders] and Mike [Williams] with some rebounds and [Deshawn Freeman], we grabbed every big rebound down the stretch. I thought our defense was really good. You know, the last six minutes of the game, I thought we had a good game plan and they executed it. That's a good positive against a really good basketball team with a lot of experience and a lot of weapons. It's a very good day for Rutgers nation.

On being the underdog: "Our guys here heard a lot of things and no one gave us a lot of chances in this game, but even though we were playing a really good team, I thought if we could just keep plugging away in a great environment like this, I thought we were getting good looks even though we weren't making. These guys fought through it and figured out a way to win. We talk about that a lot. If the ball is not going in, you still have to figure out a way to win. They played with good swagger and great intensity, and these three guys made plays down the stretch."

On what he said to the team down nine in the second half: "I was actually pretty calm. I'm not usually, but we were getting great looks. Our defense keeps us around which allows us to string together some shots, which we did. We did a really good job down the stretch. I thought guys were active. Eugene's dunk off the rim and everyone kind of made a big play and we made some big free throws, so it was an exciting environment. I enjoyed coaching in it today. It was a lot of fun."

On if it was a signature win: "It was a good win at home here. It was a great environment and, again, these guys just did a real good job of staying the course and they were poised down the stretch. I'm excited, but we could play better, too. We have potential to be better."

On the Environment: "I think the first game I coached here, there were 1,800 fans. So I would say this was the most fans to watch a game here at the RAC since 2002. To have a place like that, it's a credit to these guys. They made this a game. These are the guys who believed in us a year ago and stayed the course. It's a credit to Seton Hall's program, too, who are a ranked team, and it's a credit to our fans that came out. It was unbelievable."

Rutgers Junior Guard Corey Sanders

On holding the trophy: "I can't even put it into words. Really. We just came out and did what we wanted to do, which was win. We executed our game plan, which is the reason why we got that win. It just feels good to bring it back home to our fans."

Rutgers Senior Guard Mike Williams

On the win: "I don't have words to describe this feeling. Like you said, the last three years, [a win against Seton Hall] has eluded me, so for me to get it in front of our fans, it was the best feeling in the world. I'm just thankful for this moment."

Seton Hall Head Coach Kevin Willard

On final six minutes of the game: "I thought turnovers really hurt us. We had some tough turnovers that led to them getting some easy buckets, and getting momentum. I thought we did a good job when the score got 54-54, in that range, of running offense and not turning it over. I thought we turned it over in the last six minutes and that gave them some easy buckets. That gave them momentum and (Corey) Sanders hit some tough shots."

Explanation for Rutgers shooting 23 more free throws: "I don't know, I didn't have a whistle."

On losing 13-point lead in the first half: "We were still up 10 at half on the road. We missed two free throws when we were up 13. I thought that was big to be perfectly honest with you. We didn't get there a lot, but we didn't shoot them good again. We were up 10 at half and thought we didn't have the same intensity to start the game (in starting the second half)."

Thoughts on playing the bench: "I have a lot of confidence in the bench. I'll going to them. You can't play five guys for 40 minutes."

On New Jersey basketball: "It's is great that the interest is back in both programs. It helps both programs to be honest. It was a great atmosphere and at home last year was great too. The more interest that it gets, it shows more and more people how good both these programs can be."

On Corey Sanders: "Corey played fantastic. For the amount of minutes that he played, he really didn't do anything beside go one-on-one to be honest with you. He hit some really tough shots. We were really worried about him and (Geo) Baker going one-on-one, and give the kid credit, he really made some tough shots. Again, I thought us turning it over and giving him some easy buckets got him going."

On lessons learned: "We've played, this was the first time I thought our schedule kind of, I wouldn't say wear us down, but I knew all along this was probably going to be the toughest game we play all year. Coming off the games we played, going into finals, playing at a tough place against a good, well-coached team, I knew this would be our toughest test. I give Rutgers credit, they played well, they beat us. We're 9-2, we're still a really good basketball team. I'm not going to the drawing board and doing anything crazy. We've played one of the toughest schedules in college basketball. We haven't been home in forever. I'm not worried about it. To be honest with you, the biggest thing I'm looking forward to is a few days off for these guys."

On lessons learned: "We just have to take care of the basketball on the road. And I think being a bit more ball-secure on the road. You can maybe get away with turnovers for touchdowns at home. But we were in control of the game and played well defensively, but had bad turnovers. You can't give teams who are struggling at home momentum, and I thought that's what we did."

On tempo of the game: "I was happy with our pace in the first half. In the second half, obviously offense rebounds stopped us from getting out. I've always been a big Deshawn Freeman fan. I thought their guards got a couple big ones. It just slows you down. I've always said the best transition defense is offensive rebounding because it gets your guys back towards the basket instead of out running. I thought their offensive rebounds in the second half stopped us from getting out and going."

On Khadeen Carrington: "I think (Khadeen) has played really well. Playing 34 minutes at the point guard spot and trying to guard Corey (Sanders) is tough. But I think he has been playing terrific. He had a tough shooting night. He had some good looks and some good looks on the break that he usually makes."

On Desi Rodriguez: "Des picked up his third (foul), they went small and then he picked up his fourth. So then we shuffled him. Whenever I shuffle him in and out, he doesn't do good with that. I should probably just keep him in there. Myles (Powell) gave us a good lift and I think we went on a 9-0 run with him in there."

On the loss: "I view it as a loss on the road."

On the New Jersey rivalry: "These games have always come down to this kind of stuff. There's been head butts, there's been guys in the stands and flagrant fouls. The intensity is great. I think Corey (Sanders) being here, Deshawn (Freeman) being here for as long as they have, and our guys being here for a long time, I think that adds to it. Having guys who have been around and played in the game makes a difference.

for a year-and-a-half, I've been impressed with the rebounding of this team and how hard they play when they are over-matched against a more talented team...

but, it's the mental toughness that is really showing up this year............ many times this team could have let this game get out of reach... but they kept pulling it back from 8-10-12 point to pull even......

very impressive....

Reactions: DECKRU
http://www.scarletknights.com/news/2017/12/16/mens-basketball-rutgers-overcomes-13-point-deficit-to-rock-no-15-seton-hall-at-the-rac.aspx

Post-Game Notes

Rutgers defeated a nationally-ranked team for the first time since topping No. 4 Wisconsin, 67-62, on Jan. 11, 2015. In each of Rutgers' last two wins over ranked opponents, they have erased double-digit point deficits – 14 against Wisconsin and 13 against Seton Hall.
Rutgers defeated a nationally-ranked Seton Hall squad for the second time ever, with the first coming at the Rock, 70-64, over the No. 22 Pirates on Feb. 4, 2001.
The game's attendance was 8,318, signaling the largest crowd at the RAC since February 23, 2002 for a 66-60 Rutgers win over Seton Hall. It was the first capacity crowd at the RAC since Ohio State on Feb. 8, 2015.
In the final 6:06 after calling a timeout to stop a 9-0 SHU run, Rutgers defense held the Pirates to: 0-8 FG shooting, 2-2 FT shooting and forced 4 turnovers, ending the game on a 17-2 run.
The Rutgers win snaps a four-game Seton Hall winning streak in the Garden State Hardwood Classic dating back to a 56-51 Rutgers win at Seton Hall on March 8, 2013. The Pirates now leads the all-time series 39-30 dating back to 1916.
Corey Sanders was awarded the Joe Calabrese Game MVP with 22 points on 9-of-16 shooting and four rebounds. Sanders' 22 was his career high in three games against Seton Hall, while averaging 17.7 points per game over those three contests.
Rutgers improves to 18-1 in non-conference home games under Steve Pikiell.
Deshawn Freeman recorded a double-double (12 points, 16 rebounds), his second consecutive double-double, fifth of the season and 15th of his career. His 16 rebounds tie a career-high and mark the eighth time he's led the Scarlet Knights on the boards this season.
Rutgers grabbed 19 offensive rebounds, including 12 in the second half (+16 scoring differential), as the Scarlet Knights continue to lead the NCAA in offensive rebounding with 16.2 per contest.
The win marked the eighth time this season at least four Scarlet Knights have scored in double-figures in a game.
Double-figure season/career marks: Geo Baker (10th/10th), Sanders (10th/54th), Freeman (11th/35th).
Mike Williams scored five points and is now six points away from joining the 1,000-Point Club (994).
Eugene Omoruyi finished one rebound shy of a double-double (10 points, nine rebounds), with his nine rebounds going down as a new career high for the sophomore.
The Scarlet Knights played the fourth of five straight contests at the RAC against metro opponents, and the final game of a 4-of-7 stretch featuring ranked/receiving votes opponents.
The lead only changed hands one time in this game, at the 2:22 mark in the second half. Seton Hall led for 34:21 and by as many as 13 with 8:15 left in the first half.
The Scarlet Knights' eight turnovers were the second lowest mark of the season.
Rutgers forced Seton Hall to commit a season-high 18 turnovers and limited Angel Delgado to single digit points (5) for just the second time this season.

Post-Game Quotes

Rutgers Head Coach Steve Pikiell

Opening Statement: First, as always, I want to thank the fans. The environment was awesome. I respect Seton Hall tremendously. They are well coached, have good players, and I knew it would be one of those games. I'm really proud of our guys. We weren't making shots, weren't making free throws, but we just hung in there. That's what we've done and we figured out a way to win. But I'm really thankful for the community, the students, the cheerleaders and the dance team, what an environment. It was awesome. And I'm proud of these guys. They've worked so hard. Mike [Williams] has been through four of these games. They've been tough, and to have them experience the joy of winning against a really good team that I have a tremendous amount of respect for is a good thing."

On what the win can do for the program: "Just this environment. If we can keep it like that, it's a real tough place to play. We've been in games, plugging away and have been close, and I thought we had tremendous poise down the stretch. Corey [Sanders] and Mike [Williams] with some rebounds and [Deshawn Freeman], we grabbed every big rebound down the stretch. I thought our defense was really good. You know, the last six minutes of the game, I thought we had a good game plan and they executed it. That's a good positive against a really good basketball team with a lot of experience and a lot of weapons. It's a very good day for Rutgers nation.

On being the underdog: "Our guys here heard a lot of things and no one gave us a lot of chances in this game, but even though we were playing a really good team, I thought if we could just keep plugging away in a great environment like this, I thought we were getting good looks even though we weren't making. These guys fought through it and figured out a way to win. We talk about that a lot. If the ball is not going in, you still have to figure out a way to win. They played with good swagger and great intensity, and these three guys made plays down the stretch."

On what he said to the team down nine in the second half: "I was actually pretty calm. I'm not usually, but we were getting great looks. Our defense keeps us around which allows us to string together some shots, which we did. We did a really good job down the stretch. I thought guys were active. Eugene's dunk off the rim and everyone kind of made a big play and we made some big free throws, so it was an exciting environment. I enjoyed coaching in it today. It was a lot of fun."

On if it was a signature win: "It was a good win at home here. It was a great environment and, again, these guys just did a real good job of staying the course and they were poised down the stretch. I'm excited, but we could play better, too. We have potential to be better."

On the Environment: "I think the first game I coached here, there were 1,800 fans. So I would say this was the most fans to watch a game here at the RAC since 2002. To have a place like that, it's a credit to these guys. They made this a game. These are the guys who believed in us a year ago and stayed the course. It's a credit to Seton Hall's program, too, who are a ranked team, and it's a credit to our fans that came out. It was unbelievable."

Rutgers Junior Guard Corey Sanders

On holding the trophy: "I can't even put it into words. Really. We just came out and did what we wanted to do, which was win. We executed our game plan, which is the reason why we got that win. It just feels good to bring it back home to our fans."

Rutgers Senior Guard Mike Williams

On the win: "I don't have words to describe this feeling. Like you said, the last three years, [a win against Seton Hall] has eluded me, so for me to get it in front of our fans, it was the best feeling in the world. I'm just thankful for this moment."

Seton Hall Head Coach Kevin Willard

On final six minutes of the game: "I thought turnovers really hurt us. We had some tough turnovers that led to them getting some easy buckets, and getting momentum. I thought we did a good job when the score got 54-54, in that range, of running offense and not turning it over. I thought we turned it over in the last six minutes and that gave them some easy buckets. That gave them momentum and (Corey) Sanders hit some tough shots."

Explanation for Rutgers shooting 23 more free throws: "I don't know, I didn't have a whistle."

On losing 13-point lead in the first half: "We were still up 10 at half on the road. We missed two free throws when we were up 13. I thought that was big to be perfectly honest with you. We didn't get there a lot, but we didn't shoot them good again. We were up 10 at half and thought we didn't have the same intensity to start the game (in starting the second half)."

Thoughts on playing the bench: "I have a lot of confidence in the bench. I'll going to them. You can't play five guys for 40 minutes."

On New Jersey basketball: "It's is great that the interest is back in both programs. It helps both programs to be honest. It was a great atmosphere and at home last year was great too. The more interest that it gets, it shows more and more people how good both these programs can be."

On Corey Sanders: "Corey played fantastic. For the amount of minutes that he played, he really didn't do anything beside go one-on-one to be honest with you. He hit some really tough shots. We were really worried about him and (Geo) Baker going one-on-one, and give the kid credit, he really made some tough shots. Again, I thought us turning it over and giving him some easy buckets got him going."

On lessons learned: "We've played, this was the first time I thought our schedule kind of, I wouldn't say wear us down, but I knew all along this was probably going to be the toughest game we play all year. Coming off the games we played, going into finals, playing at a tough place against a good, well-coached team, I knew this would be our toughest test. I give Rutgers credit, they played well, they beat us. We're 9-2, we're still a really good basketball team. I'm not going to the drawing board and doing anything crazy. We've played one of the toughest schedules in college basketball. We haven't been home in forever. I'm not worried about it. To be honest with you, the biggest thing I'm looking forward to is a few days off for these guys."

On lessons learned: "We just have to take care of the basketball on the road. And I think being a bit more ball-secure on the road. You can maybe get away with turnovers for touchdowns at home. But we were in control of the game and played well defensively, but had bad turnovers. You can't give teams who are struggling at home momentum, and I thought that's what we did."

On tempo of the game: "I was happy with our pace in the first half. In the second half, obviously offense rebounds stopped us from getting out. I've always been a big Deshawn Freeman fan. I thought their guards got a couple big ones. It just slows you down. I've always said the best transition defense is offensive rebounding because it gets your guys back towards the basket instead of out running. I thought their offensive rebounds in the second half stopped us from getting out and going."

On Khadeen Carrington: "I think (Khadeen) has played really well. Playing 34 minutes at the point guard spot and trying to guard Corey (Sanders) is tough. But I think he has been playing terrific. He had a tough shooting night. He had some good looks and some good looks on the break that he usually makes."

On Desi Rodriguez: "Des picked up his third (foul), they went small and then he picked up his fourth. So then we shuffled him. Whenever I shuffle him in and out, he doesn't do good with that. I should probably just keep him in there. Myles (Powell) gave us a good lift and I think we went on a 9-0 run with him in there."

On the loss: "I view it as a loss on the road."

On the New Jersey rivalry: "These games have always come down to this kind of stuff. There's been head butts, there's been guys in the stands and flagrant fouls. The intensity is great. I think Corey (Sanders) being here, Deshawn (Freeman) being here for as long as they have, and our guys being here for a long time, I think that adds to it. Having guys who have been around and played in the game makes a difference.

That's the way to hurt Rutgers revenue

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT