ADVERTISEMENT

Potential Grad Transfer Thread

The question.....is freshman 2017 Doucore a significant upgrade over Sa, Doorson, Diallo? If not, there is ZERO rush.

I disagree the "the question." I think you ask the wrong question. RU absolutely needs another big man, to replace some of Gettys' minutes and contributions. I think the questions the coaches will be asking themselves (and there are more than 1 question):

1) Can Doucore qualify, to begin with.

2) Are there advantages to having him in the program starting this Summer, as opposed to starting next Summer. Advantages could include starting the weight and conditioning program, familiarizing him with the defense and offense, getting college practice time, getting him actual experience in games during 2017-2018 (after which Freeman AND Sa both graduate). Disadvantages could include taking up a roster spot for a player more useful, especially a potential Grad transfer, starting his clock 1 year earlier.

3) Is Doucore able to contribute off the bench ... he does not have to be an UPGRADE over Sa, Doorson and Diallo - just a complimentary piece. And frankly, depending on available spots, maybe you get him into the program and red-shirt him ... there are advantages there also.

4) If there has to be a choice between a grad transfer post player, or reclassifying Doucore to '17, which is better for the team in 2017-2018, or for the program longer term?

Those are the questions, not is Doucore an UPGRADE over Sa, Doorson and Diallo.

Besides, until we know who may or may not be transferring, it is all moot. If Diallo transfers, for example, that might increase the importance of Doucore. If Laurent transfers, that might mean a WF is more important to bring in than reclassify Doucore, if there are limited slots.

I really hope I am wrong here, but I think you and others are making a mistake assuming there is even more than a snall probability of getting a useful 5 in the grad transfer market.

It was the perfect scenario with CJ. For every CJ there are 20 Frank Russells in my mind. How many programs could use a post graduate 5? A ton! We were fortunate that he came to market late and overperformed.

Reactions: bac2therac
I disagree the "the question." I think you ask the wrong question. RU absolutely needs another big man, to replace some of Gettys' minutes and contributions. I think the questions the coaches will be asking themselves (and there are more than 1 question):

1) Can Doucore qualify, to begin with.

2) Are there advantages to having him in the program starting this Summer, as opposed to starting next Summer. Advantages could include starting the weight and conditioning program, familiarizing him with the defense and offense, getting college practice time, getting him actual experience in games during 2017-2018 (after which Freeman AND Sa both graduate). Disadvantages could include taking up a roster spot for a player more useful, especially a potential Grad transfer, starting his clock 1 year earlier.

3) Is Doucore able to contribute off the bench ... he does not have to be an UPGRADE over Sa, Doorson and Diallo - just a complimentary piece. And frankly, depending on available spots, maybe you get him into the program and red-shirt him ... there are advantages there also.

4) If there has to be a choice between a grad transfer post player, or reclassifying Doucore to '17, which is better for the team in 2017-2018, or for the program longer term?

Those are the questions, not is Doucore an UPGRADE over Sa, Doorson and Diallo.

Besides, until we know who may or may not be transferring, it is all moot. If Diallo transfers, for example, that might increase the importance of Doucore. If Laurent transfers, that might mean a WF is more important to bring in than reclassify Doucore, if there are limited slots.

Good points, Jelly, but I think perhaps the most important factor is simply getting Doucore SIGNED now, instead of giving him another year to be recruited by the Big Boys and possibly decommit. He could theoretically sign in the spring signing period next month.

Good points, Jelly, but I think perhaps the most important factor is simply getting Doucore SIGNED now, instead of giving him another year to be recruited by the Big Boys and possibly decommit. He could theoretically sign in the spring signing period next month.
So true!! If RU can get him signed now, just do it.

Reactions: RickB113
Great article. I feel for the mid-major coaches, but those quotes where coaches suggest they have considered slowing a player's academic track so they can't graduate early is laughable. Shows this is all business at the end of the day.

Slow playing their track could also be a really positive adjustment to their academics. The student athlete work load is so tough - much tougher than many people really give them credit for. Spacing out the workload would make that more managebable.

It makes sense only if the scholarship to the transfer point guard coming to Rutgers is rescinded .Don't need 2 new point guards that can't shoot.
Not going to rescind a scholarship from Mensah after he committed. It makes sense if one of the guards on the current roster leaves which is always a possibility.

I don't think Samuel from Penn State could help us at all. His numbers at PSU were not impressive at all.I would rather have Mensah.

I really hope I am wrong here, but I think you and others are making a mistake assuming there is even more than a snall probability of getting a useful 5 in the grad transfer market.

It was the perfect scenario with CJ. For every CJ there are 20 Frank Russells in my mind. How many programs could use a post graduate 5? A ton! We were fortunate that he came to market late and overperformed.

Overperformance is often a coaching issue, at least in large part. I trust in Young and Pike's ability to develop young big man talent.

We need an influx of talent as soon as we can get it. I don't think the question is whether he'd be an improvement over three very mediocre players, but if he's an improvement over whoever else could fill the spot (assuming there is one), and I am very skeptical that could be filled more competently than with someone of Mamadou's obvious talent.

Not going to rescind a scholarship from Mensah after he committed. It makes sense if one of the guards on the current roster leaves which is always a possibility.

Also we are currently working with basically three scholarship guards (Issa doesn't really count), which is insane. There's a reason we've emphasized the point.

And they'll all be either juniors or seniors. We need guards now.

Last edited:
Samuel has some ability and can defend both guard positions, but I don't think he's the right fit for a one year rental in the backcourt....if we are taking a guard as a 5th, the player has to offer something significantly different vs what we have....The 2018 season still requires a guard on the roster other than Baker and Sanders and a 5th, would not solve that issue.

I would not be shocked to see Samuel at an Iona-type of program, they feast on 5th year transfers, JUCO's etc and it's not far from home for him.

Samuel has some ability and can defend both guard positions, but I don't think he's the right fit for a one year rental in the backcourt....if we are taking a guard as a 5th, the player has to offer something significantly different vs what we have....The 2018 season still requires a guard on the roster other than Baker and Sanders and a 5th, would not solve that issue.

I would not be shocked to see Samuel at an Iona-type of program, they feast on 5th year transfers, JUCO's etc and it's not far from home for him.
Good point. I assume every transfer is going to Iona unless I hear otherwise.

Reactions: Rokodesh
If Doucoure reclassified, he would probably add 4 pts and 4 rebounds a game with those numbers having high potential for increasing, especially rebounding.

Many teams use two forwards. Him and Freeman could be on the court at the same time together.

Reactions: Nermil
another one...Cal's Kameron Rooks will graduate and transfer

That is the 5th year center people are looking for.

My take either
A. he gets scooped up by other schools
B. he ends up at a RU type school and is not an upgrade to Diallo/Doorson/Sa

You can't teach 7 foot, but his numbers, especially blocks, are pedestrian.

That is the 5th year center people are looking for.

My take either
A. he gets scooped up by other schools
B. he ends up at a RU type school and is not an upgrade to Diallo/Doorson/Sa

You can't teach 7 foot, but his numbers, especially blocks, are pedestrian.

17.1 minutes and almost 5 and 5?You take him in a heartbeat. Blocks do not win you games. His numbers were very similar to Gettys.

With 24 minutes, he is a 7 and 5 kid. Good luck to him. I do not know if coaches from the banks are after him.

I believe he is. He would be an upgrade to some players on the current roster.

I have no idea as I have never seen Ducore play.

There is no doubt that all 3 need to improve and we probably need 3 bodies to man the position as i don't see any of them being a 20 MPG guy. Sa is they guy with the upside in my eyes. I hope the staff can get him to realize his potential.

I have no idea as I have never seen Ducore play.

There is no doubt that all 3 need to improve and we probably need 3 bodies to man the position as i don't see any of them being a 20 MPG guy. Sa is they guy with the upside in my eyes. I hope the staff can get him to realize his potential.

He is physically ready, and can rebound better than SA,or Diallo today. I hate to say that, but just believe it to be true.

If you have to switch three players, none of them are good enough to do what Pikiell needs to do next year. Just reality. In a sense, sure, fouls can be spread out, you can show different looks. BUt as far as the player that is really needed, it is a risk.

The guy we had the most minutes at the 5 this year gave us an offensive weapon, did a good job on the glass, and was a very good teammate and a guy you want in the program. However you lost some with his defense.

I'd like to think (probably hope) that this year's collection of 5 might help the team in different ways. In the end maybe you are right and the 3 we have just won't cut for the 30-40 minutes we will need at the 5.

I have been talking to the Bob Hurley Sr. of Serbia. Coaches at the top Serbian Sports High School in Belgrade. There is no shortage of players in that small country, and they all seem to be able to shoot. Hoping to get one of his top kids over to Rutgers. But a lot of them prefer to go from high school to the Pros.

Geno Thorpe, 6'4" SG, averaged 9 points for Penn State as a sophomore, transferred to USF, where he led the Bulls with 15 points per game. Also shot 37% from 3, 84% from the line. He is going to graduate and transfer.

Geno Thorpe, 6'4" SG, averaged 9 points for Penn State as a sophomore, transferred to USF, where he led the Bulls with 15 points per game. Also shot 37% from 3, 84% from the line. He is going to graduate and transfer.

Also was USF's best defensive player and gave Bishop Daniels fits a few years ago.

Thorpe was the only USF player to average in double figures at 15.2 ppg. He did have very good 3 point and free throw statistics. He also had 129 assists in 28 games for a nice 4.6 assists per game and is 6'4" tall. Perhaps he is someone to consider.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT