ADVERTISEMENT

Princeton Open Thread

I was wondering same thing ...pretty sure he wasn’t suspended like Aguilar and Correnti were so not sure why no sign of him yesterday or today..it a long schedule and injuries will happen and I wasn’t impressed with either 149 guys yesterday ...maybe that could be an option as well ...Angelo did nothing and Santos seemed gassed after early flurries of action ...149 might be a struggle for RU this year
Thought the same. Didn't want to be a Debbie downer this early in the season, but 149 is a problem spot. If Lipari could bulk up to this spot by middle of the season I think he could easily take the starting job here.

Let’s theoritize. How about Kanniard go to 157 and MVB go to 149? That would be powerful if my boy Mickie could make it and still be strong!
I don’t think that’s gonna happen ...he was really strong yesterday ..two tech falls and near major which was in reach til some sloppiness ...if 157 is where he wants to be and he continues with what he showed yesterday then I say stay strong at 157 and the talent will match the strength ...why suck weight if not needed to ..been down that road already ...

Let’s theoritize. How about Kanniard go to 157 and MVB go to 149? That would be powerful if my boy Mickie could make it and still be strong!
Can Mike make 149? Either Lipari up or Mike down(don't know about that) would be an optimal lineup.

That would be great although I think Vanbrill does not want to be focused on weight cutting.Let him stay put at the weight if he continues to perform optimally.

It is still early in the season, so we should not base all of our early indications of yesterday's matches as a reflection of the entire season.

Aguilar squeaks one out against Princeton backup...final agains their starter ..Glory ...don’t think it’s gonna be pretty

Also the prize pupil of DeFelipis. Guy lives in the room.

Yes he does. Donnie DeFelipis one of the more underrated club coaches in the state. Yale Street does not get enough credit for what it produces.

My son is a member ;)

Great place for him to be. I was an Elite guy, owned by Sebastian Rivera’s dad, Steve. Many great clubs in the state, and Yale Street belongs in that conversation.
Who has come through Yale St that they should be considered with Elite, Apex, Edge, Shore Thing, Scorpions, etc.?
Poz drops a 5-3 dec to Jake Logan (Lehigh) on a late takedown.

Logan finished last year ranked #7 at 182 (Poz #12) and was a 2x NY state champ
1 school year difference between the 2. Poz needs to win a match like this to take the next step and be a multiple time AA here. Hopefully, he does this year and when he gets here.

I was wondering same thing ...pretty sure he wasn’t suspended like Aguilar and Correnti were so not sure why no sign of him yesterday or today..it a long schedule and injuries will happen and I wasn’t impressed with either 149 guys yesterday ...maybe that could be an option as well ...Angelo did nothing and Santos seemed gassed after early flurries of action ...149 might be a struggle for RU this year
Angelo did nothing? He edged out a top freshman in OT in the most exciting match of the day (and a match with great sportsmanship between the two wrestlers). $$$$

Aguilar gets teched in the 2nd by Glory 15-0. Finishes 2nd.

I mean it was expected. Glory is just on another level right now. No shame in getting teched to Glory.

Just watched the match. Aguilar got in deep on two shots but overpowered by Glory, who looked great. Glory looked huge compared to Aguilar and per previous post got mauled on bottom. Good tournament for Aguilar. Already looks a lot stronger and more comfortable than last year.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Angelo did nothing? He edged out a top freshman in OT in the most exciting match of the day (and a match with great sportsmanship between the two wrestlers). $$$$
The best match of the day was Janzer manhandling a national champ tho it was a division two champ ...nonetheless ...that was easily most exciting match ....just because Angelo had to go into overtime didn’t make it exciting ..they both did basically nothing so it went to overtime ....

Reactions: koleszar
Kanniard got beat by Gary Dinmore 6-1
Poz tied for 7/8 , Got beat by Bonino 13-6

I took one photo at the Princeton Open today. You know how when you see something that stands out, you just have to get the photo. Devon Britton was wrestling and these two guys were the coaches in his corner. Love the camaraderie. How cool is this ? (Devon won the match btw)

P_20191103_115456+(2).jpg

at 125? Respectfully Bill, there is one contender at 125. Spencer Lee. Glory will be a contender for 2/3 depending on his draw.

Rivera can beat Lee. He may not but he is capable. Has to keep the match on their feet/get an early takedown and wear him out. Freshman to sophomore year is a huge development year. If Glory has used his resources, NJRTC coaches, well he has the talent to beat anyone. Unfortunately Lee is a bad matchup for him as he likes to scramble on his feet/allow people in on his legs and counter which is a no no against Lee.

Reactions: Leonard23
Rivera can beat Lee. He may not but he is capable. Has to keep the match on their feet/get an early takedown and wear him out. Freshman to sophomore year is a huge development year. If Glory has used his resources, NJRTC coaches, well he has the talent to beat anyone. Unfortunately Lee is a bad matchup for him as he likes to scramble on his feet/allow people in on his legs and counter which is a no no against Lee.
Rivera actually beat Lee twice last year before falling to jack Mueler so he didn’t get a crack at lee at nationals... Piccicinni also caught lee last year so he’s not unbeatable.. although he really does turn it on at nationals

Rivera actually beat Lee twice last year before falling to jack Mueler so he didn’t get a crack at lee at nationals... Piccicinni also caught lee last year so he’s not unbeatable.. although he really does turn it on at nationals
Mueller and Pic will be in the mix too, but I expect a Suriano/Lee rematch in the finals.
Lol..Suriano is at 133 not125 ..won NC at 133 so doubt he is gonna go down
You can laugh all you want but 57 kilos is a shade over 125 and the trials are 2 weeks after NCAAs.

Cornell is going to be a tough team in a few years. They cleaned up the upper weight scene in NJ last year earning commits from Foca, Cardenas, and Fernandes. All 3 won their weight class yesterday unattached.

Reactions: 61RayStreet
Leave MVB where he is at. Aside from blowing the major yesterday is the best he has looked in several years. I don't mention the competition because I saw him wrestle down to his competition last year and I think the weight but was a huge issue. I suggested Lipari consider 149 as he’s a gamer. I know he would be small at 149, but much different then say a 157lber going 165.

As for Suriano, I'm focusing my attention on the new blood. I would prefer Aguilar, Robinson and Alvarez step it up this year and start thinking of the future. In my mind, Suriano isn't here right now and I'm going to go on the assumption that he's onto the next stage in his life until I actually see him back in class.

Leonard, confused by the pot shot at Yale Street. I know where you are coming from, but Lex was simply giving a nice gesture so don’t think your comment was really that necessary. We all know the history of Edge (THE club) and Apex north in Mahwah definitely has had some blue chippers come out. Yale is relatively new club growing out of the ashes of local Brawl House, but Donnie connects with some kids better. My son just didn't fit at Apex but really works well with Donnie and has some great drill partners... a few kids you will hear about down the line.

Cornell is going to be a tough team in a few years. They cleaned up the upper weight scene in NJ last year earning commits from Foca, Cardenas, and Fernandes. All 3 won their weight class yesterday unattached.

I was thinking the same thing last night. As a Voorhees grad, can't wait to see Fernandez compete "officially" for Cornell. (Wish it was for Rutgers, but to each their own).

I was thinking the same thing last night. As a Voorhees grad, can't wait to see Fernandez compete "officially" for Cornell. (Wish it was for Rutgers, but to each their own).

Not sure how old you are, but a few decades ago , RU had a terrific Heavyweight who was also a terrific Football player for RU.. Lee Getz, of Voorhees HS.

I just wanted to stimulate discussion on the topic of who goes where. I would love to see Peter Lipari find a spot somewhere. I think 149 is a little big for him but he is a competitor so I would not doubt he could pull it off.

I just wanted to stimulate discussion on the topic of who goes where. I would love to see Peter Lipari find a spot somewhere. I think 149 is a little big for him but he is a competitor so I would not doubt he could pull it off.

So what happens if Lipari finishes higher than Aragona at the Open tournaments (Journeyman, Navy and Southern Scuffle) ? At the media day Coach G said he wouldn't be having anymore wrestltoffs but would use his observations on who was wrestling better in the big moments. That pertained to all the weight classes where there were multiple guys that were close (197 also comes to mind). If the wrestlers are close in their finishes, then that makes the decision for Goodale even tougher. A good problem for the coach to have, I guess, as injuries usually pop up during the season. Of course once the Big10 Tournament comes, Goodale has to make a firm choice.

Anyone notice Ryan Anderson at the Quad ? He struggled, not sure when he reported for practice or if he was even working out over the summer, but he really should try to get down to 141. He looked a bit 'puffy' in the mid section.

Edit just reported - Mineo just posted that Santos is out for the year. Feel bad for the kid, just when he's getting his shot.

So what happens if Lipari finishes higher than Aragona at the Open tournaments (Journeyman, Navy and Southern Scuffle) ? At the media day Coach G said he wouldn't be having anymore wrestltoffs but would use his observations on who was wrestling better in the big moments. That pertained to all the weight classes where there were multiple guys that were close (197 also comes to mind). If the wrestlers are close in their finishes, then that makes the decision for Goodale even tougher. A good problem for the coach to have, I guess, as injuries usually pop up during the season. Of course once the Big10 Tournament comes, Goodale has to make a firm choice.

Anyone notice Ryan Anderson at the Quad ? He struggled, not sure when he reported for practice or if he was even working out over the summer, but he really should try to get down to 141. He looked a bit 'puffy' in the mid section.

Edit just reported - Mineo just posted that Santos is out for the year. Feel bad for the kid, just when he's getting his shot.

You don’t pull the redshirt of a blue chip prospect who was the 6th overall ranked kid in the country to sit him in March. That is not a cut on Peter at all but the reality of the decision the coaches made with input from the Aragona unit I’m sure. This is a tough one because Lipari is more than capable of handling himself but the staff went with JoJo. If he’s healthy and not wrestling in late January that is a failed decision on the coaching staff. JoJo and Alvarez are not losing their spots if healthy. If they do, I question the decision making (hint: I trust Goody and Donny 100%).

You don’t pull the redshirt of a blue chip prospect who was the 6th overall ranked kid in the country to sit him in March. That is not a cut on Peter at all but the reality of the decision the coaches made with input from the Aragona unit I’m sure. This is a tough one because Lipari is more than capable of handling himself but the staff went with JoJo. If he’s healthy and not wrestling in late January that is a failed decision on the coaching staff. JoJo and Alvarez are not losing their spots if healthy. If they do, I question the decision making (hint: I trust Goody and Donny 100%).

I don't think it would be a 'failed decision' on the coaching staff, Coach G said at the Presser that some of the true Freshmen, didn't even want to wait til Jan to pull their RS.. IF, Lipari winds up earning the Big10 Tournament spot, then I would say the failed decision would be on Aragona. Same with Alvarez and Turley should they wind up not wrestling due to others beating them out . It is good they have the confidence though, that they will be the last guy standing for those spots.

Not sure how old you are, but a few decades ago , RU had a terrific Heavyweight who was also a terrific Football player for RU.. Lee Getz, of Voorhees HS.

@Abro - I graduated in '90. Lee was before my time, but went to school with his 2 younger brothers. Charlie, the youngest, was in my class. Both of them good wrestlers in their own right.

Reactions: Abro1975
I don't think it would be a 'failed decision' on the coaching staff, Coach G said at the Presser that some of the true Freshmen, didn't even want to wait til Jan to pull their RS.. IF, Lipari winds up earning the Big10 Tournament spot, then I would say the failed decision would be on Aragona. Same with Alvarez and Turley should they wind up not wrestling due to others beating them out . It is good they have the confidence though, that they will be the last guy standing for those spots.

No I disagree 100%. If you pull the redshirt of Aragona in the first quad in November against Div 2 programs and waste an entire year of a blue chip wrestler that is a bad decision by the coaching staff. That is not even debatable in my book unless that wrestler is a complete miss of a prospect.

The adults in the room take the heat not an 18 year old kid. We are now a top 20 B1G program. These are decisions that the coaching staff will own.

Reactions: Leonard23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT