ADVERTISEMENT

Princeton Open Thread

Santos is out for the year? Damn, that sucks. 149 is a huge issue right now.

And to be clear. Coaches say a lot of things at pressers that are talking points or intended for the audience. There are lots of things that happen behind closed doors that will not be said at a presser. I know that for a fact.

As I said, Lipari is an absolute gamer and I want to see him on the mat. This is the tough part of growing into a top program. Some solid national level wrestlers maybe left out. The Penn States, Iowa’s and okie states deal with these issues on a regular basis.

Reactions: Abro1975
No I disagree 100%. If you pull the redshirt of Aragona in the first quad in November against Div 2 programs and waste an entire year of a blue chip wrestler that is a bad decision by the coaching staff. That is not even debatable in my book unless that wrestler is a complete miss of a prospect.

The adults in the room take the heat not an 18 year old kid. We are now a top 20 B1G program. These are decisions that the coaching staff will own.

I would normally agree w you...BUT , If you listen to the Press Conference closely at Media Day, Coach G said they give the kid advice and input, BUT ultimately it is the Kids the decision on if and when their Red shirt gets pulled.
I'm not sure I believe that 100 per cent, but that is what was said.

To me the biggest head scratcher was Turley RS being pulled. Why so soon?

I would normally agree w you...BUT , If you listen to the Press Conference closely at Media Day, Coach G said they give the kid advice and input, BUT ultimately it is the Kids the decision on if and when their Red shirt gets pulled.

I heard the presser. I also heard him comment on some other things where I know for a fact what he was saying was what was needed to be said and nothing more.

We move on and agree to disagree. Goodale and Donny are adults who run a major program. These are big boy decisions that sit on their shoulders.

As for Turley, kid was a great get but he’s not Aragona. And unlike 141 where we clearly have a capable returning starter, 165 we do not and the staff must feel he’s by far the best option.

Goodale has always been transparent.. not sure why he would lie about that... Goodale also usually likes to RS his freshman so I’d have to believe the kids that are going this year all wanted to wrestle now, which might not be a bad thing.

I just wanted to stimulate discussion on the topic of who goes where. I would love to see Peter Lipari find a spot somewhere. I think 149 is a little big for him but he is a competitor so I would not doubt he could pull it off.
I think he lost to aragona in 2ot, does he get another shot

I think he lost to aragona in 2ot, does he get another shot

Lipari should definitely get another shot.Goodale along with the coaching staff will continue to re-evaluate based on overall results. Aragona is the starter now and will have to continue to earn the spot as the season progresses.

Not to beat this to death, but if Aragona is on the bench come January and isn’t wrestling in the B1G tournament, then a huge fail has taken place within the staff. Again, JoJo is a blue chip top 10 recruit. I’m sorry but those guys need to be handled very wisely.

My gut tells me that unless he completely craps the bed or is injured, JoJo is your starter from here on out.

Leonard, confused by the pot shot at Yale Street. I know where you are coming from, but Lex was simply giving a nice gesture so don’t think your comment was really that necessary. We all know the history of Edge (THE club) and Apex north in Mahwah definitely has had some blue chippers come out. Yale is relatively new club growing out of the ashes of local Brawl House, but Donnie connects with some kids better. My son just didn't fit at Apex but really works well with Donnie and has some great drill partners... a few kids you will hear about down the line.
Wasn't a pot shot. I was asking an honest question because I don't know much about the club or those that go to it so I was surprised to see it mentioned like that.

Not to beat this to death, but if Aragona is on the bench come January and isn’t wrestling in the B1G tournament, then a huge fail has taken place within the staff. Again, JoJo is a blue chip top 10 recruit. I’m sorry but those guys need to be handled very wisely.

My gut tells me that unless he completely craps the bed or is injured, JoJo is your starter from here on out.
IMO if a healthy Jojo doesn’t qualify for nationals, let alone start, then it would be a huge fail for burning the RS.

Wasn't a pot shot. I was asking an honest question because I don't know much about the club or those that go to it so I was surprised to see it mentioned like that.

Fair enough. Always liked you as a poster so wasn’t trying to make a big thing of this. Just partial and protective of my guys at Yale!

Reactions: Leonard23
I have to put my faith that Coach Goodale/Donnie P. have an idea where their wrestlers will be at the end of the year (In regards to making the big dance).

There are no guarantees that wrestlers will remain injury free their whole careers and leaving the red shirt open for another year is a good option.

The good news is the freshman starting gives RU more excitement than I originally thought for the season.

Reactions: RU in IM
I was hoping Lehigh's (ex RU) 125 Brandon Paetzal entered. He is ranked anywhere from 16-20 depending on the ranking service, and would have been a great indicator on Aguilar's progress if they had faced at the PU Open. There might be a chance these 2 meet up this Sunday at Journeyman Tourney, as hearing Lehigh is sending there team, along with Arizona St and Oklahoma. Hoping Cornell goes as well.

I was hoping Lehigh's (ex RU) 125 Brandon Paetzal entered. He is ranked anywhere from 16-20 depending on the ranking service, and would have been a great indicator on Aguilar's progress if they had faced at the PU Open. There might be a chance these 2 meet up this Sunday at Journeyman Tourney, as hearing Lehigh is sending there team, along with Arizona St and Oklahoma. Hoping Cornell goes as well.
Iowa state’s Mackall is ranked around 13th... dang we coulda used these guys..

Fresno match should be a better indicator of who on this team is legit.

After this weekend, I’m optimistic that Grello, Colluci, and one of Pagano/Correnti qualify for the tournament. Aragona, Janzer, and MVB can definitely do it as well. I think Aguilar has an outside shot, everyone else would be quite a surprise. I don’t think Alvarez and Turley are quite ready yet, and we haven’t seen Vulakh or Kannaird. Until I see him wrestle, I’m just gonna assume Glasgow isn’t really on the team this year.

I guess that sets the over/under at 6. Would be really cool if we hit that number.

s.
Fresno match should be a better indicator of who on this team is legit.

After this weekend, I’m optimistic that Grello, Colluci, and one of Pagano/Correnti qualify for the tournament. Aragona, Janzer, and MVB can definitely do it as well. I think Aguilar has an outside shot, everyone else would be quite a surprise. I don’t think Alvarez and Turley are quite ready yet, and we haven’t seen Vulakh or Kannaird. Until I see him wrestle, I’m just gonna assume Glasgow isn’t really on the team this year.

I guess that sets the over/under at 6. Would be really cool if we hit that number.

Like i said in an earlier post....the betting line would be 6.5 imo....Vegas doesn't like pushes
123, 133, 157 & 165 are the weights where the jury is out at the beginning of the season.
IMO, I think Alvarez qualifies. He will use this as a learning experience.
Looking forward to Journeyman College Classic
I was very impressed with Janzer who I never saw wrestle before.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT