ADVERTISEMENT

Putting together a roster….with only one basketball

Scarlet Shack

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2004
Guys

Lot being said for putting together a roster …and slotting players into minutes and number of shot attempts

So before we say things like “we need another center like cliff “…let’s undersrand what we think we are at with the know pieces . To figure what we need to add to it to finish the Peter

First …let’s make an assumption that we can play 10% faster next year (and that’s a pretty big leap of faith ) and from 60 shot attempts to 66….so how are the shots getting divided ???

As a background , if you take the players we had and prorated the number of shots per 28 minutes (a full staring roll worth of minutes ) this last season here is the number of shot attempts per 28 min played

Jwill 10.78
Gavin 10.30
Hyatt 9.64
Simpson 9.58
Mag 9.21
Cliff 8.27 (of course lower with more FT)
Noah 8.00
Jmike 6.87
AWill 6.00
Oskar 5.81
Wolf 5.57

When you look the number per 28 attempts …there is a general reflection on who can get shots up based on the skills of having ability to create and score in different ways , and those who were limited , got less shots up

So when we go to finish building a roster …what do we expect the pieces we currrnky have to shoot attempts and what’s left for additions ?

One guess (and my guess ) is something like this …before we discuss the center spot and remaining minutes …

Dylan 28 minutes -13 attempts
Airous 28 minutes -12 attemots
Jwill 26 minutes -9 attempts
Tyson 26 minutes -9 attempts
Zach 20 minutes -6 attentions
Jmike 14 minute - 4 attempts

That’s 142 minutes (18 more for one more non center and 40 more from the center spot )…and by my count , we are up to 53 shot attempts out of 66….

So not too many shot attempts and minutes to order , unless you are telling me we recruit over one those four for minutes okayed

So …when I go to finish out the roster , what I see is this

1.) I think we need to find a center that isn’t gojng to demand to be the center of the offense. This is not a dig on cliff . But the reality is , if cliff came back or cliff replacment is expecting 10 shots a game in 28 minutes , that’s means it’s someone else from the top 4 is not shooting; less for Dylan , Ace , Jwill and Tyson . Do we really want that ???? Plus we have a guy in Somerville who can be skilled and score from the five and will demand (and deserve ) shots in his role to develop . Think we need to think from the portal more Myles Johnson type from the portal than a cliff Omouyri type …as a counter balance to keep the touches in the hands who we have that we expect to score but help us defend and rebound (and if we want run , get that rebound and get the outlet to a guard so we can goooooooo).

2.) we really need those last 18 minute not from the center spot to be more glue guy wing that does the dirty work and doesn’t need a lot of touches …as much as getting another bonfide scorer from the wing sounds good…unless the guy is that good to take minutes and touches from Jwill and Tyson, another wing sensing the ball will cause shots to go up from this person and less from “the top four. “

Instead , Think we also need another swingman who can guard the bigger physical guards (like domask )….a better shooting version of austin Williams , but doesn’t need a million touches. Does caleb have a younger brother ??? LOL. Maybe Dortch and grant are ready for this role ? Or one of them ? That’s a solution to.

In short …I think we have acquired the guys who will shoot it, and need to roll the dice they are the guys to fix the offense. I just don’t see the touches left for another major scorer unless one of the top four is playing and shooting less

We Need role players at the five (I actually think Reuben C would be the perfect complement to what Latham provides and can develop into something better for later playing with this years talent). and a physical wing player to finish it out …..

Is it really your thesis that you don’t want Cliff getting 10 shots at guaranteed EFG% higher than almost the whole roster would have?

Guys

Lot being said for putting together a roster …and slotting players into minutes and number of shot attempts

So before we say things like “we need another center like cliff “…let’s undersrand what we think we are at with the know pieces . To figure what we need to add to it to finish the Peter

First …let’s make an assumption that we can play 10% faster next year (and that’s a pretty big leap of faith ) and from 60 shot attempts to 66….so how are the shots getting divided ???

As a background , if you take the players we had and prorated the number of shots per 28 minutes (a full staring roll worth of minutes ) this last season here is the number of shot attempts per 28 min played

Jwill 10.78
Gavin 10.30
Hyatt 9.64
Simpson 9.58
Mag 9.21
Noah 8.00
Jmike 6.87
AWill 6.00
Oskar 5.81
Wolf 5.57

When you look the number per 28 attempts …there is a general reflection on who can get shots up based on the skills of having ability to create and score in different ways , and those who were limited , got less shots up

So when we go to finish building a roster …what do we expect the pieces we currrnky have to shoot attempts and what’s left for additions ?

One guess (and my guess ) is something like this …before we discuss the center spot and remaining minutes …

That’s 142 minutes (18 more for one more non center and 40 more from the center spot )…and by my count , we are up to 53 shot attempts out of 66….

So not too many shot attempts and minutes to order , unless you are telling me we recruit over one those four for minutes okayed

1.) I think we need to find a center that isn’t gojng to demand to be the center of the offense. This is not a dig on cliff . But the reality is , if cliff came back or cliff replacment is expecting 10 shots a game in 28 minutes , that’s means it’s someone else from the top 4 is not shooting; less for Dylan , Ace , Jwill and Tyson . Do we really want that ???? Plus we have a guy in Somerville who can be skilled and score from the five and will demand (and deserve ) shots in his role to develop . Think we need to think from the portal more Myles Johnson type from the portal than a cliff Omouyri type …as a counter balance to keep the touches in the hands who we have that we expect to score but help us defend and rebound (and if we want run , get that rebound and get the outlet to a guard so we can goooooooo).

2.) we really need those last 18 minute not from the center spot to be more glue guy wing that does the dirty work and doesn’t need a lot of touches …as much as getting another bonfide scorer from the wing sounds good…unless the guy is that good to take minutes and touches from Jwill and Tyson, another wing sensing the ball will cause shots to go up from this person and less from “the top four. “

Instead , Think we also need another swingman who can guard the bigger physical guards (like domask )….a better shooting version of austin Williams , but doesn’t need a million touches. Does caleb have a younger brother ??? LOL. Maybe Dortch and grant are ready for this role ? Or one of them ? That’s a solution to.

In short …I think we have acquired the guys who will shoot it, and need to roll the dice they are the guys to fix the offense. I just don’t see the touches left for another major scorer unless one of the top four is playing and shooting less

We Need role players at the five (I actually think Reuben C would be the perfect complement to what Latham provides and can develop into something better for later playing with this years talent). and a physical wing player to finish it out …..
when did Mike Tyson commit? I must've missed that

Guys

Jwill 10.78
Gavin 10.30
Hyatt 9.64
Simpson 9.58
Mag 9.21
Noah 8.00
Jmike 6.87
AWill 6.00
Oskar 5.81
Wolf 5.57

I think focus next year and going forward needs to be on making shots, not taking them. We need a 5 who can defend, has good hands and can rebound.

People saying we don’t need big men must not have watched the national title game with two 7 footers

Reactions: Kbee3
I likely misunderstand what ‘finish the Peter’ means, but it sure sounds crude. Can someone please explain !

I think the opposite of the premise of this thread.

If Cliff returned he would not be the “center of our offense”. Cliff has never really been the center of our offense.

Next year - Cliff would have gotten his shots but they would have been dunks/alley oops off pick and rolls or easy put backs from rebounds. We would not be feeding Cliff in the post with Dylan and Ace and a supporting cast that can shoot.

Cliff is the exact type of center who would thrive in our offense next year imo.

If Cliff returned he would not be the “center of our offense”. Cliff has never really been the center of our offense.

Next year - Cliff would have gotten his shots but they would have been dunks/alley oops off pick and rolls or easy put backs from rebounds. We would not be feeding Cliff in the post with Dylan and Ace and a supporting cast that can shoot.

Cliff is the exact type of center who would thrive in our offense next year imo.
going into every season 'we have a supporting cast that can shoot' . never works out that way.

With Oskar off to Europe , Pike has 3 ships to give. A center , a rebounding 4 bruiser that cleans the glass and another 3 point shooter. Lots of bigs out there Ballo, Williams , Key , Jackson , Chenuyl would all fit the bill . Think by Game 5-6 , Lathan starts dominating and slides into starting lineup. More important to get another shooter , Dylan and Ace , Acuff and Martini will get their fair share of shots but Dylan and ACE will have defenses overplaying them as well opening up shots for another 3 point shooter.
We also need a rebounder which was an Achilles Heel the last 2 years especially last year. Gobble up offensive rebounds for put backs but absolutely control the defensive glass. We get those 3 , we are set for an amazing season.

Absolutely agree with the take on Cliff but we desperately need 3pt knock down shooters. Outside of maybe Martini we don’t have one on the current roster. Still time left with the portal so not overly concerned yet.

Reactions: S_Janowski
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT