ADVERTISEMENT

Question about targeting

miker183

All Conference
Sep 14, 2014
I was at the game yesterday, but was sitting near the opposite 30 yard line.

From where I sat, it certainly looked like targeting, but have seen others say no.
Curious what most fans saw.

One thing I'm certain of though, if they take targeting seriously, it should have been reviewed. That was a huge play in the game.

For my part two things stuck out, forcible contact with the head and a defenseless player.

The hit put the Ohio State player out for the remainder of the game. He was on the sideline with his helmet off.

The one play I know of where penalty was considered had defender coming in low and going lower. No launching etc

The hit on Monangai looked like he launched himself at the head of a defenseless receiver. The only difference was he lead with the facemask area instead of the crown. I guess that means it's not targeting? 🤷

It looked like he pulled up at the last minute and it could be argued he was going for the ball as it was a toss up.

As others mentioned in the game thread I was wondering if offensive players can be charged with targeting. Their rb on the 4th down conversion they got by two inches clearly and intentionally lowered his head and initiated helmet to helmet contact on the tackler, and it did affect our player, allowing the rb additional lean forward more. I think he did it again on the very next carry after they reviewed the spot.

The hit on Monangai looked like he launched himself at the head of a defenseless receiver. The only difference was he lead with the facemask area instead of the crown. I guess that means it's not targeting? 🤷

I looked at that, but the rule talks about contact with the head; words to the effect of helmet, shoulder, forearm or fist.
I'm not sure the face mask vindicated the non-call.

Think it was the Wisky game where they called down in a TV timeout. Yesterday there was an injury for about 5 minutes, and it played on the scoreboard quite a bit, and yet it piqued no one's interest. LOL

The thing about this rule is that it is applied consistently inconsistent.

The monangai hit was less a targeting penalty than it was a defenseless player. How many times have we been burned by the defenseless player call. This play wasn’t even reviewed according to the broadcaster.

I think the way to overcome the horribly inconsistent calls this is to move the replay to one central location. One group of officials assigned to reviews. And stop with the theater of rolling out the 13 inch monitor onto the field.

Reactions: RCBeta79
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT