ADVERTISEMENT

RAC renovation

Wow! I am surprised that they are talking about playing all games away from the RAC for a season. You only need to do that if you are making major renovations to the seating bowl or the building structure (e.g., roof line) that will take more than 9 months to complete. I think either type of major renovation would diminish what makes the RAC unique.

I assumed most of the work would be adding amenities in additions that extend beyond the current building footprint, and renovating the concourses. All of that can be done by closing off areas, while still allowing games to be played. Addition of luxury suites (depending on where they are located) and expansion of the Sec 118 area, should be able to be done in off-season, if well planned.

I haven't seen any recent plans or concepts, so I'll withhold further judgment on building changes until we see more details.

However, every attempt should be made to figure out how to keep the games at the RAC during construction. Any other location would adversely affect large portions of the season-ticket base.

Almost all season-ticket holders currently drive to attend games at the RAC. If fans have to drive to Newark or Trenton, it will be a much longer drive for those fans coming from the opposite direction. And while mass transit is an option, it is also a slower option for most, since you have to add the time to drive to/from your home station, and also waits of up to an hour for the next train after the game ends. For a significant portion of fans, this would make attending a season of weeknight games after work virtually impossible.

If it is necessary to play games elsewhere, it would also be necessary to schedule home games on weekends (and that introduces other complexities like arena availability and conflicts with youth sports). Either way, Pat Hobbs should be prepared for a season-ticket holder revolt similar to the one he saw when he forced season-ticket holders to buy a home football game at Yankee Stadium.

A much better solution would be to figure out how to stage the renovations so games can still be played at home. This is how just about every other arena manages their renovations and expansions.
Exactly.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Would be amazing to be associated with Cincy/ houston basketball particularly the latter
It’s bigger than basketball man
Again, those are teams that are the second and third fiddle in their states, and will never have a chance of coming close to overtaking the top dogs.
I ask again, wof Duke, Carolina, Kentucky, Kansas, etc. any of those teams with any of those I caught it when he was ever do this? The Rac is not on that level, but it is an awesome HomeCourt advantage and is certainly revered throughout college basketball. Again in my opinion it would be a huge mistake to be doing this

The major renovation at Indiana's Assembly Hall took more than a year. The Hoosiers continued to play at the venue. As you would expect, RU has conferred with its conference mate regarding its expansion.

https://cpf.iu.edu/capital-projects/projects/major-renovation/assembly-hall-renovation.html

https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...sembly-hall-simon-skjodt-renovation/82469304/
This is in Arena with twice a capacity of Rutors, and they still managed to play there during the renovation. It can be done and in my opinion will be done the way Indiana did it

It’s bigger than basketball man
Again, those are teams that are the second and third fiddle in their states, and will never have a chance of coming close to overtaking the top dogs.
I ask again, wof Duke, Carolina, Kentucky, Kansas, etc. any of those teams with any of those I caught it when he was ever do this? The Rac is not on that level, but it is an awesome HomeCourt advantage and is certainly revered throughout college basketball. Again in my opinion it would be a huge mistake to be doing this

In fairness Rutgers, and about 90% of colleges, also don't have a chance of coming close to matching the support those schools have.

Reactions: pigmasty83
This should fit the criteria for everyone complaining about what big time programs do. UCLA, you know the school with 11 national titles and a billion Final Fours, all americans, etc closed the fabled Pauley Pavilion for renovations and the Bruins played their games off campus.

Reactions: mikemarc1
This should fit the criteria for everyone complaining about what big time programs do. UCLA, you know the school with 11 national titles and a billion Final Fours, all americans, etc closed the fabled Pauley Pavilion for renovations and the Bruins played their games off campus.

Modernizing a historic sports venue presents a unique challenge—the need to upgrade a structure without losing its essential character.

https://www.nbbj.com/work/pauley-pavilion-renovation-and-expansion

That is a little dramatic. Everyone wants the facelift/enhancements without ruining the acoustics.

Some of us are bringing up another option and discussing it. Who said everything will be ruined? Can’t we discuss the issue?
All this board does is discuss other options. No one is ever happy and everyone is always worried. I was exaggerating in my initial post and being dramatic to make a point.

Just a point about the extent of the renovations. When Richie interviewed Hobbs a few months ago, Hobbs said that when they renovate the RAC, they want the concourse to form a completed circle around the court (like in most arenas). He also acknowledged the need for more bathrooms.

I don't know how/if the above impacts the length of time needed to complete all renovations -- which will also presumably include an expanded Section 118, plus luxury suites at center court and probably in the glass offices above the current lobby -- but thought I would mention.

In fairness Rutgers, and about 90% of colleges, also don't have a chance of coming close to matching the support those schools have.
Yeah this is probably the closest comparison to Jersey Mike's in terms of age and needed modifications. Improved entry, more concession stands and bathrooms, and adding luxury boxes.
I was thinking the renovation of Cal’s arena. Seems like RU. Did Cincy still play in their arena while it was being renovated?

Just a point about the extent of the renovations. When Richie interviewed Hobbs a few months ago, Hobbs said that when they renovate the RAC, they want the concourse to form a completed circle around the court (like in most arenas). He also acknowledged the need for more bathrooms.

I don't know how/if the above impacts the length of time needed to complete all renovations -- which will also presumably include an expanded Section 118, plus luxury suites at center court and probably in the glass offices above the current lobby -- but thought I would mention.
Concourse alone would be a huge improvement.

All this board does is discuss other options. No one is ever happy and everyone is always worried. I was exaggerating in my initial post and being dramatic to make a point.
Post #204 above shows that Indiana played an entire basketball season in their home arena while the arena was under the same kind of construction as ours, PLUS, they replaced seats (which we won’t do). All I am saying is it’s doable to play at the RAC. And I also believe that playing the season at the RAC is the safer, more reasonable choice.

I am happy. I am not worried. I am not panicked. I am just saying playing the season at home is viable option, and the Indiana post with three links to the project proves that. Whatever Rutgers leadership does, I sincerely hope it works out well, no matter what their decision is.

Go Knights!

Last edited:
Post #204 above shows that Indiana played an entire basketball season in their home arena while the arena was under the same kind of construction as ours, PLUS, they replaced seats. All I am saying is it’s doable. And I also believe that playing the season at the RAC is the safer, more reasonable choice.

I am happy. I am not worried. I am not panicked. I am just saying playing the season at home is viable option, and the Indiana post with three links to the project proves that. Whatever Rutgers leadership does, I sincerely hope it works out well, no matter what their decision is.

Go Knights!
I probably wasn’t talking about you either

I remain hopeful that we will not have to be displaced for a year.

However….if it needs to be done, there seems to be a fair amount of concern about current season ticket holders from south Jersey making games at the Rock, and folks in the north making it to Trenton/Princeton.
I wonder what that number would be compared to the number of current season ticket holders who wouldn’t be able to get a seat in every game at the Barn?
Assuming some amount of STHs won’t be able to make every game in either scenario…? Both would be negative attendance numbers but how
Much more negative would the numbers be if we had games at the barn?

If we are kicked out for a year, and I really don’t want that….
We should seriously explore a rotational or lottery system at the Barn, at least for weekday games (when commute is tougher). Then do something for those who are interested but not their turn for weekday game like viewing party for example at Scott Hall or something. Create a special season where many of us have not had the opportunity to watch a game at the Barn and then consolation prize as a nostalgic trip down memory lane going inside an academic building and getting to watch a game.
Not to mention the better access to George Street, Easton and the new buildings in college ave/train station pregame.

It would be a special season.

I’m equidistant from Newark and Princeton, so…me dual igual …there but I’d give up the chance to watch every game in person for a season for the chance to watch 1/2 at the barn.

Or maybe a hybrid approach. All week day games at Barn (Better for athletes and commuters) and weekend games elsewhere (ie The Rock). Only have to rotate some of your weekday games.

Not sure who else feels that way.

More suburban anti-Newark rhetoric, got it. Here's the deal: no one would be happy about being out of the RAC for a year, but if you're telling me Trenton and Jadwin are better options than the Pru Center, you're insane. If you want to be pissed and not make the best out of the situation, be my guest.
Hey Softee. What did I post that triggered your ignorant “ surburban anti Newark rhetoric , got it “ comment?
Taking something out of context to further one's argument
RUPete = RUStrawMan
Pete seems to have his own agenda and becomes blinded by the light because any differing thought than what he believes becomes an issue to him. See above. 😂

Hey Softee. What did I post that triggered your ignorant “ surburban anti Newark rhetoric , got it “ comment?

Pete seems to have his own agenda and becomes blinded by the light because any differing thought than what he believes becomes an issue to him. See above. 😂
Try reading the entire thread next time and figure out to behave correctly. Only one triggered individual here and it ain’t me. I’m not afraid of big, bad Newark.

Try reading the entire thread next time and figure out to behave correctly. Only one triggered individual here and it ain’t me. I’m not afraid of big, bad Newark.
Ok Softee. For your sake and those of others including myself - I hope our cars dont break down in Newark or the surrounding areas or you don’t get harassed at Newark Penn Station or 🤮 from the stench at Newark Penn Station or enjoy paying $30 to park or dealing with traffic at 5:30- 6pm trying to make a 630 game at the Rock. I don’t worry about these things in the suburbs or in Piscataway.
By the way, are you the director of tourism for Newark ? Have no idea why you re so vested in this topic.
Learn to respect opinions of others even if you disagree !

By the way, 9 people shot in Newark earlier tonight !

Last edited:
Reactions: bac2therac
Agree would like to play in Trenton. Play up the home angle.

Also thought instead of playing a ridiculous tournament like the one we’re in next season with a bunch of ridiculous opponents there should be an NJ only preseason tournament in Trenton. Make it a NJ basketball day, each year (like Greg created for football) and build some other events around it.
NJ Basketball Tourney a no brainer. So many teams to make even an 8 team tourney. They could play a round up north, a round in Trenton, and a round in AC.

Reactions: RUsojo
I don't think that is possible due to the media contracts with NY based radio station. From a media standpoint, Trenton is part of the Philadelphia media market even though the federal government considers it part of the NYC/NorthJersey metro area. It becomes a legal thing.
OK, if true that certainly a factor and thanks for the insights !

NJ Basketball Tourney a no brainer. So many teams to make even an 8 team tourney. They could play a round up north, a round in Trenton, and a round in AC.
and we could play for a Giant Taylor Ham/Pork Roll Trophy! How Jersey would that be ?!?!

Post #204 above shows that Indiana played an entire basketball season in their home arena while the arena was under the same kind of construction as ours, PLUS, they replaced seats (which we won’t do). All I am saying is it’s doable to play at the RAC. And I also believe that playing the season at the RAC is the safer, more reasonable choice.

Go Knights!
There are probably financial savings from doing it with the building closed. Figure you can get it one quicker with less concern for safety if you dont have to keep the building open. Given labor costs especically in NJ, shaving weeks or months off the project could be a big money saver.

I can't believe the number of complaints on here about RAC renovations finally becoming reality.
It's actually pretty pathetic, but they're only speaking for themselves. I can't wait for the much-needed and lonnnng overdue improvements.

Maybe in the minority but 118 was a symbol of what has held RU back for years and I’m glad they are getting more dollars than they were before. Great move, enjoyed the vibe in the new area.
Agree
Moved to that area and love it

Agree
Moved to that area and love it
Two of you in the pathetic looking half empty airport bar vs hundreds of the most loyal fans in the RAC. Gotcha! Your comfort is of the utmost importance. I wouldn’t mess with the footprint and home court advantage. That’s just me.

Last edited:
There are probably financial savings from doing it with the building closed. Figure you can get it one quicker with less concern for safety if you dont have to keep the building open. Given labor costs especically in NJ, shaving weeks or months off the project could be a big money saver.
First, welcome back, derleider. Keep posting!

Absolutely. There are pros and cons to both approaches. The slightly lower construction cost if the RAC is closed is offset to some level of the cost to rent another facility, plus the cost of some fans and students who will choose to not go to home games at a facility that is not convenient.

And where the hell have you been?!? Had to check that someone hadn't bumped a thread from 2011

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT