ADVERTISEMENT

RAC renovation

You don't take something great (The Rac), and play away for a year. When has Kansas played away from AFH? When has Duke played away from CIS? Carolina not playing in the Dean Dome? Kentucky away from Rupp?

There's ways to figure this out without having to play somewhere else for a year. I trust Hobbs will eventually figure that out, or at least hope he will

Taking something out of context to further one's argument
RUPete = RUStrawMan
StrawMan=Beltway Blabber. Make a stupid argument, get called out. Simple. Bottom line, is that you have no facts about any of this and yet you're making all these angry assumptions.

Nova already plays a few games / year at Wachovia.

Cincy and Houston, while two good programs, are not who I want to be associated with. They're 2nd/3rd fiddle in their own states, and will never be considered anything more

Why is Villanova playing 3 games there relevant? It's about getting fans and students there and both venues are 30 minutes from the schools on campus arenas.

Cincy has had a couple of down years but has always been a perennial tournament team and was the #2 seed the year they renovated.

How can you not want to be associated with Houston?? The last three tournament finishes were Sweet 16, Final 4, Elite 8. And they'll likely be in the top 5 in the preseason rankings this year. That would be incredible if Rutgers gets to Houston's level.

I'm not even saying I prefer this over multiple phases/years and staying in the RAC, like Dayton did, but it's not small time thinking to do it this way.

Reactions: tico brown
No that’s not what’s going on in here. Discussion has been reasonable imo.

A facelift doesn’t require a year away from the RAC.

I personally am fine with a year away from the RAC. I don’t necessarily think we need so much done that would require a year away but I’m fine if they do it.

We don't even know the plans yet. We are going on what RU72 and PiscatawayMike have heard. And while I trust them, we don't know the extent of the plans and some people are freaking out. The discussion has been mostly reasonable, but I find it funny that people who've been advocating for this for a long time are now bristling at the fact that they may have to attend a different arena for a year, depending on the extent of construction.

StrawMan=Beltway Blabber. Make a stupid argument, get called out. Simple. Bottom line, is that you have no facts about any of this and yet you're making all these angry assumptions.
Angry? It's a message board, I'm stating my opinions as I have zero interest in going anywhere but the Rac for home games for reasons I've already stated

Having worked in the industry and been a part of many relocations, builds, expansions, etc., I can unequivocally tell you this should be the last thing we're considering

Losing home court advantage (one of the best in college bball), pausing momentum after 2 straight NCAA's, pissing off fans, adversely affecting attendance, losing season ticket holders (a fair share won't renew when team returns to the Rac), alienating students (future season ticket holders/donors), just to name a few of the reasons it's a bad idea

Cincy and Houston, while two good programs, are not who I want to be associated with. They're 2nd/3rd fiddle in their own states, and will never be considered anything more
This comment is ignorant of... just about any sense of basketball history. Both programs are far more historically rich than Rutgers. We would kill to be Cincinnati or Houston.

Reactions: Gudenham
Why is Villanova playing 3 games there relevant? It's about getting fans and students there and both venues are 30 minutes from the schools on campus arenas.

Cincy has had a couple of down years but has always been a perennial tournament team and was the #2 seed the year they renovated.

How can you not want to be associated with Houston?? The last three tournament finishes were Sweet 16, Final 4, Elite 8. And they'll likely be in the top 5 in the preseason rankings this year. That would be incredible if Rutgers gets to Houston's level.

I'm not even saying I prefer this over multiple phases/years and staying in the RAC, like Dayton did, but it's not small time thinking to do it this way.
Perception matters.
Cincy will always be 2nd fiddle to the Bucks. Houston 3rd/4th fiddle to UT, A & M, Tech.

Nova was already playing there a few times/year, especially big weekend games. Much easier sell to fan base when you're already used to going (still didn't agree w/them doing it, and advised them against it, but understood rationale as it's not apples to apples w/Rutgers situation)

This comment is ignorant of... just about any sense of basketball history. Both programs are far more historically rich than Rutgers. We would kill to be Cincinnati or Houston.
Both programs are 2nd/3rd fiddle in their own states
Ohio State isn't doing this
Texas/A & M isn't doing it
Shit, A & M knocked down portions of their stadium in the off season and rebuilt (WPK has more knowledge on the logistics, but it absolutely can be done w/adequate planning/foresight)

Both programs are 2nd/3rd fiddle in their own states
Ohio State isn't doing this
Texas/A & M isn't doing it
Shit, A & M knocked down portions of their stadium in the off season and rebuilt (WPK has more knowledge on the logistics, but it absolutely can be done w/adequate planning/foresight)
Great let's get some oil billionaires on board with Rutgers basketball and let's go.

PS: Houston is the premier basketball program in the state of Texas. More Final Fours than anyone else. Texas, A&M, and Tech are football schools. Baylor too, though obviously they have the recent basketball title.

You can take the northeast corridor rail line and walk to Prudential Center. Or Drive to Prudential Center and park in a nearby lot. Newark is a much better location than any other because it can handle the volume.
Newark doesn’t exactly handle the volume well. Getting out of the parking lots post game is a nightmare.

Great let's get some oil billionaires on board with Rutgers basketball and let's go.

PS: Houston is the premier basketball program in the state of Texas. More Final Fours than anyone else. Texas, A&M, and Tech are football schools. Baylor too, though obviously they have the recent basketball title.
It doesn't take billions to renovate an 8k seat bball arenas
Pro tip - Nobody gives a shit about Cougar High in Texas, let alone nationally.
It's Horns/Aggies, then the rest

Angry? It's a message board, I'm stating my opinions as I have zero interest in going anywhere but the Rac for home games for reasons I've already stated

Having worked in the industry and been a part of many relocations, builds, expansions, etc., I can unequivocally tell you this should be the last thing we're considering

Losing home court advantage (one of the best in college bball), pausing momentum after 2 straight NCAA's, pissing off fans, adversely affecting attendance, losing season ticket holders (a fair share won't renew when team returns to the Rac), alienating students (future season ticket holders/donors), just to name a few of the reasons it's a bad idea
My guess is that they are trying to avoid the season away from the RAC scenario and weighing the costs, pros/cons. I know inside info has been thrown out on this board, but none of us know that a final decision has been made about how this will move forward.

From what I read, we still have much more fundraising to do on our end before either of these projects move forward.

My guess is that they are trying to avoid the season away from the RAC scenario and weighing the costs, pros/cons. I know inside info has been thrown out on this board, but none of us know that a final decision has been made about how this will move forward.

From what I read, we still have much more fundraising to do on our end before either of these projects move forward.
Truthfully, I'd be shocked if they actually decided to move forward w/this idea.

It's short sighed on so many levels, and after the initial optics Hobbs had w/the Schiano hire, I don't think he'd want the potential backlash of this on his plate

Truthfully, I'd be shocked if they actually decided to move forward w/this idea.

It's short sighed on so many levels, and after the initial optics Hobbs had w/the Schiano hire, I don't think he'd want the potential backlash of this on his plate
On a very practical level, it's a logistical pain in the ass to have gameday operations off campus for each game.

Well, I think they have their answer then!
This to a certain extent
Hobbs is savvy - though the board represents ~1 % of fans, in light of the Schiano situation / Alley mishap, he could very well be testing the waters here
Smart move on his part if so

Losing home court advantage (one of the best in college bball), pausing momentum after 2 straight NCAA's...
Add in recruiting. 17-18-year-old high school kids aren't exactly thinking long-term. One season of playing all games off campus is a big deal in recruiting. Practice facility, games, dorms all in close proximity is a nice feature for recruiting.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Add in recruiting. 17-18-year-old high school kids aren't exactly thinking long-term. One season of playing all games off campus is a big deal in recruiting. Practice facility, games, dorms all in close proximity is a nice feature for recruiting.
And logistical issues as well
You know why Bama doesn't change their Uni's?
B/c you don't mess w/certain things
This situation is one of those things, where you tinker/adjust (e.g. much needed facelift/expansion/re-do), but be smart about it, even if it takes longer and cost more $$, as that will more than offset the aforementioned pitfalls of not playing at the Rac

Would B1G throw us a bone and schedule the majority of our home games on the weekend? That would give students and fans a better chance to get to games

It is my understanding that Rutgers would be away from the RAC for a year. Also,there would be some form of a luxury box. Would you rather play at Jadwin or Newark during that off season?
The Barn.

Newark doesn’t exactly handle the volume well. Getting out of the parking lots post game is a nightmare.
Newark ain’t that bad. Especially if you’ve been to Gainesville the Rose Bowl, and Miami. With I78 and I280 nearby, things are pretty smooth. And if you don’t want to deal with traffic, park at Secaucus Junction, Metro Park or Trenton and take the train in.

Villanova did it the year they won the national title. I think I remember some of them saying they felt better prepared for the tournament because of it. While not on the same level as Villanova, Cincinnati and Houston did it too.
Hardly comparable.

Villanova plays a good portion of their games (and most of their big games) at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia. So moving all the games to one of their existing home courts, during renovation of the other, is not the same.

Cinci's renovations were extensive, complete with an new seating area and roof replacement. And they moved to an arena 7 miles from their home court. (Prudential Center in Newark is more than 20 miles, straight-line distance, and almost 30 miles driving distance, from the RAC).

Houston essentially demolished and rebuilt their arena, and they played their games in an arena 1 mile away. Fans could walk from one arena to the other, if they wanted to.

My assumption here is that the renovations to the RAC will be on the concourses and exterior to the existing building footprint, mostly in terms of amenities. Maybe additional seating is added at the end-courts, and limited changes to the side-court seating.

If they are going to make major renovations to the side-court seating, which require more than 9 months, then they will probably end up changing what makes the RAC unique. At that point they might as well just build a new arena.

I'm not sure what this has to do with any future renovations but there’s scaffolding of some kind hanging in both sides of the RAC.
I took these photos yesterday at Steve's basketball camp. Any idea what this is all about?

Never mind- I just saw that the scaffolding is inside. That could be anything.

Jadwin and The Barn (lol) would mean there would be season ticket holders left out in the lurch. Trenton has approximately the same capacity as the RAC. Newark would be good

I am sure the powers to be aren't taking any of this lightly. There are so many moving parts and there are so many things that can't be controlled.

The economy, financial markets, war in Ukraine, NIL, on court future performance and countless others. 5 years ago our program was an absolute joke. I believe one man is responsible for the turnaround. Is this whole thing contingent on one person?

I realize the state appears to be funding so the financial risk isn't Rutgers. If they F up throwing a season away they risk killing the momentum the program has and that becomes a financial cost to Rutgers.

Premium seating brings in way more money. A 20 person suite can easily bring in $5,000. At $20/ticket, you'd need space for 250 seats to replace that revenue
NY Giants had a long waiting list. They had enormous pricing power. That is now gone. there no longer is a fear of not renewing season tickets and making sure seats are kept in the family.

Would be amazing to be associated with Cincy/ houston basketball particularly the latter

I still don't get these people that are making a big stink about one year away if it makes our building better in the long term.

First people complained there wasn't enough bathrooms or concessions. Now on to the next complaint.
It’s not a complaint at all. It’s a viable option. And it’s a viable option that would be beneficial to many in a number of significant ways. When did it become a bad thing to discuss options?

Reactions: bac2therac
The only thing for certain is that the analysis you describe should be done and may already have been done. If they have to move for a season, you're not going to make everyone happy. But a modern arena with a train stop right there makes the most sense in that scenario.
Exactly.

Hardly comparable.

Villanova plays a good portion of their games (and most of their big games) at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia. So moving all the games to one of their existing home courts, during renovation of the other, is not the same.

Cinci's renovations were extensive, complete with an new seating area and roof replacement. And they moved to an arena 7 miles from their home court. (Prudential Center in Newark is more than 20 miles, straight-line distance, and almost 30 miles driving distance, from the RAC).

Houston essentially demolished and rebuilt their arena, and they played their games in an arena 1 mile away. Fans could walk from one arena to the other, if they wanted to.

My assumption here is that the renovations to the RAC will be on the concourses and exterior to the existing building footprint, mostly in terms of amenities. Maybe additional seating is added at the end-courts, and limited changes to the side-court seating.

If they are going to make major renovations to the side-court seating, which require more than 9 months, then they will probably end up changing what makes the RAC unique. At that point they might as well just build a new arena.

I don't really get why this matters. Both arenas are the same distance from the on campus venues. It's also much easier for NYC alumni to get to the Prudential Center than Jersey Mike's. It's never ideal to have to play away from your home court but, if it's necessary, the Prudential Center is just as good of an option for Rutgers as the Wells Fargo Center is for Villanova.

As far as comparing to Cinci and Houston's renovations, we don't know what the plan is Jersey Mike's but I would have to imagine it would need to be pretty extensive to move all the winter sports team's for a year.

For years, fans on this board: "THE RAC NEEDS A FACELIFT!"

The RAC is about to get a facelift. The fans now: "HOW DARE THEY GIVE THE RAC A FACELIFT. IT WILL RUIN EVERYTHING."
That is a little dramatic. Everyone wants the facelift/enhancements without ruining the acoustics.

Some of us are bringing up another option and discussing it. Who said everything will be ruined? Can’t we discuss the issue?

Reactions: bac2therac
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT