ADVERTISEMENT

RAC renovation

Because every arena must be built like Prudential Center, Barclays Center, and all the recent arenas with bars, suites, food courts, and other crap.
To expand on this, look at the arenas at Penn State, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Miami, etc. They are built like mini Barclays Center or legit NBA arenas with their bells and whistles. There will never be another RAC, Assembly Hall in IU, etc where it’s only basketball with unique architecture that would make a place loud or whatever. Even Monmouth and NJIT are built more modern than like the RAC.

So Paul Mulcahy will play his last year at some random arena. Cliff may be making a decision on what to do with his career. Do you think Caleb would have stayed this year at Rutgers if he knew he'd playing at the Rock? If NIL becomes more "mainstream" how do we attract and retain players with whatever undesirable solution ends up.

I fear we are taking success for granted. Ask Seton Hall. in this pro sports area, what is the demand for luxury amenities? How is their home court advantage.

If we put up a bunch of 5-15 seasons we go back to not filling a 8,000 seat arena and there is virtually no demand for luxury amenities.

So Paul Mulcahy will play his last year at some random arena. Cliff may be making a decision on what to do with his career. Do you think Caleb would have stayed this year at Rutgers if he knew he'd playing at the Rock? If NIL becomes more "mainstream" how do we attract and retain players with whatever undesirable solution ends up.

I fear we are taking success for granted. Ask Seton Hall. in this pro sports area, what is the demand for luxury amenities? How is their home court advantage.

If we put up a bunch of 5-15 seasons we go back to no filling a 8,000 seat arena and their is virtually no demand for luxury amenities.
I think the days of building multipurpose gyms with just bleacher seats like the RAC are over. Admin is going to want to build these luxury amenities for more revenue. The next NEW arena WONT BE the size of the Prudential Center but might be closer to the U of Miami, Pitt’s, or even Monmouth arenas.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
I think the days of building multipurpose gyms with just bleacher seats like the RAC are over. Admin is going to want to build these luxury amenities for more revenue. The next NEW arena WONT BE the size of the Prudential Center but might be closer to the U of Miami, Pitt’s, or even Monmouth arenas.
If the demand isn't there building it won't create it. I am also not convinced luxury amenities increase revenue. Increasing SASF fees certainly do.

The way I look at it I sit in the luxury amenity location.....my seat is 5 rows from the court. I don't know what else I could ask for.

Why not build a brand new arena and have the Architects and engineers, engineer loudness in to the design? Anything is possible.
Not possible, Rac's acoustics cannot be duplicated in modern day due to building codes

There's a few old barns in college bball you don't mess with, specifically:
CIS
AFH

Though the Rac isn't on that level (due to not having a microcosm of Duke/KU success), it's a great place to watch a game, and building new (whether in downtown NB or somewhere else) would be crazy

To expand on this, look at the arenas at Penn State, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Miami, etc. They are built like mini Barclays Center or legit NBA arenas with their bells and whistles. There will never be another RAC, Assembly Hall in IU, etc where it’s only basketball with unique architecture that would make a place loud or whatever. Even Monmouth and NJIT are built more modern than like the RAC.
The Bryce Jordan at State Penn is the worst of those listed. An absolute morgue. Hardly “multi-purpose” as it’s basically good enough for Thon and that’s it.

At least the ones at tOSU and Wisky have hockey.

And while many know I am the most pro-hockey guy here, I do not want the it at the expense of the RAC.

BUT….if a new place is built someday it would be short sighted to not at least consider the future.

Last edited:
Are the renderings seen a few years ago still valid? Can anyone post?

How about leave the RAC alone and figure out a solution to get parking deck connected to the RAC. So silly the walk from the parking deck to the RAC. Have to make a decision to take the long way or the short way that has you walking with the traffic. Both ways aren’t covered
You are kidding right?? If not what an idiotic plan - good to know that you are not making any RU decisions.

If we put up a bunch of 5-15 seasons we go back to not filling a 8,000 seat arena and there is virtually no demand for luxury amenities.

Great point.. again careful what you wish for

Attention Rutgers admin:

DO. NOT. GET. RID. OF. THE. RAC.

Not everything needs to be a sterile new arena. I sincerely hope they are not that stupid. What makes Fenway park and Wrigley such attractions? Cameron indoor arena? On and on?

The RAC is so unique. Improve the amenities, add some luxury seats but the sound better not change at all. That's what makes it a hornets nest. Embrace it and let the visitors be uncomfortable because of it. Nothing else matters. We are 10 points better in the current RAC. Can't say the same if we're playing in some corporate sponsor massive arena that never gets filled and is quiet.

Did you read my post Colorado fan?

apparently not.

*instead of being paranoid , get in tune on where the team will play when The RAC renovations force them out for a season.
I'm not being paranoid. I didn't say it to insult you. I was just asking if you were comparing the attendance for both. The RAC has fewer seats than the Prudential Center, and how that would translate from the RAC to Newark if Rutgers played there. I know SHU doesn't open up the upper deck for some games.

Pipe down.

I'm not being paranoid. I didn't say it to insult you. I was just asking if you were comparing the attendance for both. The RAC has fewer seats than the Prudential Center, and how that would translate from the RAC to Newark if Rutgers played there. I know SHU doesn't open up the upper deck for some games.

Pipe down.
When the RAC closes for renovations in 2023-2024, RU MBB will prob play most home games in Newark

How will actual attendance be for the RU home games in Newark?

100 mil is not that much in NJ for construction.
The difficulty in attracting donor support has caused delays in starting construction and equally important the costs for completing projects.

The difficulty in attracting donor support has caused delays in starting construction and equally important the costs for completing projects.
Rutgers fans are notoriously cheap. Want to win but don't want to pay for it. Instead they'll complain about playing off campus for a year.

If you're gonna talk the talk, y'all should walk the walk.

Why not build a brand new arena and have the Architects and engineers, engineer loudness in to the design? Anything is possible.
We know the RAC is louder than many arenas due to the pitch of the seats etc

Any new arena would be not as loud since we can not rebuild in the same way

it depends then on how important that is

For the millionth time. Nobody is tearing down the trapezoid..they are making changes to the inside.
I was responding to Brotherskinney
Who suggested we build a new arena
And giving him input on that

I am well aware of the state money and RU money going into renovations to the RAC, and not a new arena

I hope the powers that be have the incite to order materials ahead of time before starting any renovations to the RAC. In the construction business I am in some materials have jumped from 8 week lead times to 20 weeks with no signs of letting up. If they don’t take this into consideration you will see say a 12 month project turn into 18 months or more. Don’t want to lose 2 seasons due to construction material delays.

I hope the powers that be have the incite to order materials ahead of time before starting any renovations to the RAC. In the construction business I am in some materials have jumped from 8 week lead times to 20 weeks with no signs of letting up. If they don’t take this into consideration you will see say a 12 month project turn into 18 months or more. Don’t want to lose 2 seasons due to construction material delays.
There always are construction delays in big projects caused by weather ,ordering materials and having enough workers available when needed.Your comments are spot on with the need to carefully plan ordering materials to meet target dates for completing the RAC renovation.

We know the RAC is louder than many arenas due to the pitch of the seats etc

Any new arena would be not as loud since we can not rebuild in the same way

it depends then on how important that is
It is possible to build loudness into the design the same way it is possible to soften sound in an enclosed space by design.
the engineers can add hard fill panels to amplify the sounds inside the arena. Anything is possible. The RAC is outdated and was built on the cheap. If we want to compete I. The BIG we need to have state of the art facilities. The RAC ain’t cutting it.

It is possible to build loudness into the design the same way it is possible to soften sound in an enclosed space by design.
the engineers can add hard fill panels to amplify the sounds inside the arena. Anything is possible. The RAC is outdated and was built on the cheap. If we want to compete I. The BIG we need to have state of the art facilities. The RAC ain’t cutting it.
Renovating the RAC can resolve concerns that it is “outdated and built on the cheap.”

We have one of the best home court advantages in the country. Let’s keep it that way, and just make the place better and more modern.

I would have to see the finished product RAC before passing judgement

As you can see we are not heading towards a new RAC so let's hope they surprise you with the improvements

There always are construction delays in big projects caused by weather ,ordering materials and having enough workers available when needed.Your comments are spot on with the need to carefully plan ordering materials to meet target dates for completing the RAC renovation.
What you are talking about are normal delays. COVID brought on some crazy delays for materials I still can’t get a handle of.

I guess I’d love to know the numbers. I went to a game at Maryland and the arena couldn’t be more impressive. Suites were beautiful but mostly empty. I’d love to know what that generates per season.
Doesn't matter if the suites are empty if they're sold -- conservatively, you can easily generate an extra $1-1.5 million or so per year with 10 suites. Suites also help bring in additional sponsorship dollars to pay for even bigger things.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT