ADVERTISEMENT

Randy Edsall dumps New Jersey Recruit .

The 6-foot-2, 210-pound senior linebacker from Raritan High School had just been honored with a 2016 Mini Max Award for his football excellence, strong academics and devotion to community service, which includes roles in teen suicide prevention, breast cancer awareness and fundraisers for families in crisis.

----

Dick move. The linebackers coach just visited him on Thursday. Three days later, Edsall drops the bomb. Kid committed in June 2016 and had no other offers.

Tough, some will say. But loyalty is a two way street.

Stranger still, Yukon's class is 10 commits, all 2 stars except one 3 star:
https://connecticut.rivals.com/commitments/football/2017

The 6-foot-2, 210-pound senior linebacker from Raritan High School had just been honored with a 2016 Mini Max Award for his football excellence, strong academics and devotion to community service, which includes roles in teen suicide prevention, breast cancer awareness and fundraisers for families in crisis.

----

Dick move. The linebackers coach just visited him on Thursday. Three days later, Edsall drops the bomb. Kid committed in June 2016 and had no other offers.

Randy Edsall's move made Ryan miss a Monmouth last minute offer by a day or two. And while crushing the kid he refer to him on the phone as Ry as if he's a friend

Reactions: cicero grimes
What an ugly world. On the other hand, you can see why so many kids continued to leave the door open and let themselves be recruited by other schools even after they've verballed to a program: You just never know.

Reactions: JQRU91 and MozRU
Terrible move on their part. If your an Alabama or a Ohio state you can get away with this BS. However if your trying to build a program it better to honor the scholarship and keep in the good standing with the area schools. You know every coach in the area going to be telling their kids be careful of UConn because it might happen to you.

Anyone who watched Edsall publicly throw his DBs under the bus after the Tim Brown catch has been rooting for his professional failure. Reading stories like this makes one hope he develops a chronic anal fissure problem.

I'm thinking about 2 alternatives

* Preferred walk-on at RU. He was never offered previously so the school isn't reneging on a scholie. If he works out give him a scholie in 2018.

* He was offered by Cornell. Go there and get a great education. I'm sure he could get need based financial aid. Question is would it be enough.

All a question of the family's finances

I hope Ryan uses this as motivation. Not a bad thing to have a "chip on your shoulder". If the kid's character is what they say it is, he'll be fine. Best of luck to him.

Reactions: Bilderberg_News
BTW the Raine Foundation has done a tremendous amount of good here in NJ. The family deserves our support. Edsall is and always will be an asshole.

Good life lesson for this guy... These trials are unfortunate but can be character building.
Going forward I hope my old HS (Raritan HS) steers kids away from UConn.

Its horrid. The kid who seemingly understood what the word "commitment" meant gets screwed by it. Maybe all these other visits after committing are not a bad thing to make sure you have a plan B.

This is why I don't freak out when kids decommit . Kids are supposed to be Loyal but schools pull scholarships and coaches leave for better opportunies. God forbid Jonathan Taylor wants to run behind one of the best lines in the nation. With that being said, if we think the kid can play at all, we should offer him. No jersey kid should commit to Uconn if they have other options. The coaches should steer them elsewhere.

----

WOW - this will be key chapter in the book "How to be a Classless Prick" by Randy Edsall

June of 2016 - Dickens committed to UConn
- all-state player - three-year starter - on state title team in 2015
- has a 3.9 grade-point average
- competes on the wrestling team and is actively involved in several charities,

January 1, 2017 - Sunday -[thumb2] - Edsall called on New Year’s Day to assure Dickens the school still wanted him and his scholarship was safe

January 12, 2017 - Thursday - [thumb2] - UConn linebackers coach Jon Wholley met with Dickens at Raritan to talk about signing day
and his upcoming visit to UConn on Jan. 20, - Dickens’ 18th birthday :cool2:.

January 15, 2017 - Sunday night. - :thumbsdown: - UConn coach Randy Edsall calls to tell Dickens the school no longer had a scholarship for him [poop].

A lousy way to treat people ... made even more lousy by the timing - and - all of what turned out to be false assurances that all was just fine

High School coaches remember this kind of crap - and when a kid chats with their HS coach about various schools - some of those coaches will be blunt about Colleges coaches who do things of this magnitude - they will say -" be very careful - because that guy has no integrity - will tell you one thing, make promises and do another - he does not keep his word - the guy is a coach who will NOT have your back - if you are totally head-over-heels about the school OK - check it out - but I have warned you, I would never send my son there - the Coach is a dirt bag and not worthy of your trust." words like that from your HS Coach have an impact .... and they also have an impact on other HS coaches who have observed the whole story!

WOW - this will be key chapter in the book "How to be a Classless Prick" by Randy Edsall

January 1, 2017 - Sunday -[thumb2] - Edsall called on New Year’s Day to assure Dickens the school still wanted him and his scholarship was safe

January 12, 2017 - Thursday - [thumb2] - UConn linebackers coach Jon Wholley met with Dickens at Raritan to talk about signing day

January 15, 2017 - Sunday night. - :thumbsdown: - UConn coach Randy Edsall calls to tell Dickens the school no longer had a scholarship for him [poop].

A lousy way to treat people ... made even more lousy by the timing - and - all of what turned out to be false assurances that all was just fine

High School coaches remember this kind of crap - and when a kid chats with their HS coach about various schools - some of those coaches will be blunt about Colleges coaches who do things of this magnitude - they will say -" be very careful - because that guy has no integrity - will tell you one thing, make promises and do another - he does not keep his word - the guy is a coach who will NOT have your back - if you are totally head-over-heels about the school OK - check it out - but I have warned you, I would never send my son there - the Coach is a dirt bag and not worthy of your trust." words like that from your HS Coach have an impact .... and they also have an impact on other HS coaches who have observed the whole story!
randy-edsall_400x400.jpg
Randy_Edsall.jpg

The biggest issue is the timing, he was

I have less of an issue with a new coach not honoring the previous staff's commitment, but they should be honest upfront. It is just good business.

Edsall is a goon but I don't have a huge problem with this. It's overly generous for a new coach to keep a kid he doesn't think fits in the plans just because.

It's like a kid decommitting after their coach leaves and a new one is brought in who they might not like.

It's a marriage on both sides.

He only has FCS offers, Uconn was the only FBS offer, which is why he took it.

Hopefully it will work out with URI.

Edsall is a goon but I don't have a huge problem with this. It's overly generous for a new coach to keep a kid he doesn't think fits in the plans just because.

It's like a kid decommitting after their coach leaves and a new one is brought in who they might not like.

Than be upfront about it, the assistant coach met with him on the 12th to talk about signing day, three days later they pull the plug on the kid.

Did you read the article?

You honestly don't have a problem with this? Read this part again:

UConn fired Diaco in late December and hired Edsall — who had previously served as head coach of the Huskies from 1999 to 2010 — on Dec. 30. Dickens worried about his scholarship offer, but Edsall called on New Year’s Day to assure Dickens the school still wanted him and his scholarship was safe, his parents said.

UConn linebackers coach Jon Wholley even met with Dickens at Raritan Thursday to talk about signing day and his upcoming visit to UConn on Jan. 20, Dickens’ 18th birthday.

Three days later, the scholarship was gone.

Ryan Dickens needs to find away to afford Cornell. Summer jobs, winter break jobs, beg, borrow, steal... whatever.

He'll be far better off in life graduating form Cornell.

Ryan, get your tail to Cornell and you'll have the last laugh and look back when you 60yrd old with a cigar and a drink in your hand.

(But now that early decision has past, the Cornell option is probably gone)

Needs based scholarship will cover a lot plus his grades should be good enough for some Academic scholarships as well. That should take care of most of it. I know that Princeton and Harvard cover full cost now as long as you are accepted. I am not sure if Cornell does the same or not.

I wish that we could take him but looking into him he's probably an FCS player.

Not a fan of Edsall but the move is common with all new coaching staffs. They re evaluate the commits and send out new offers based on their specific needs.

UConn fired Diaco in late December and hired Edsall — who had previously served as head coach of the Huskies from 1999 to 2010 — on Dec. 30. Dickens worried about his scholarship offer, but Edsall called on New Year’s Day to assure Dickens the school still wanted him and his scholarship was safe, his parents said.

UConn linebackers coach Jon Wholley even met with Dickens at Raritan Thursday to talk about signing day and his upcoming visit to UConn on Jan. 20, Dickens’ 18th birthday.

I was more responding to new coaches pulling offers, but yea, if that is how it went down, it's a dick move.

Don't know the whole story. Im sure the coaches used the meeting as a evaluation session. We don't know what was said regarding the scholarship. Most of the time these kids tell half truths to make themselves look better.

Reactions: RUaMoose
The biggest issue is the timing, he was

I have less of an issue with a new coach not honoring the previous staff's commitment, but they should be honest upfront. It is just good business.

Yes a new coach - brought in to fix what may be viewed as a mess, deserves to be able to make his own plans - but there has to be some consideration for the integrity of the institution.... and some consideration of the locality & commitment shown by the kid.

It is actually more than just 'good business' it is the measure of the man - you can tell the truth to a recruit ... or ... you can be encouraging - but ambiguous / vague or simply say that you are not in a position to provide a firm answer
- but to flat out lie to a 17 year old kid & then turn around and pull the rug out from under them - Well it makes it clear what kind of principles Randy Edsall has.

It would be one thing if Edsall had been honest with the kid on day one and said - "we are going to be moving to a whole new chapter - we are assessing everything and will have a very clear picture in 2 weeks time"
BUT NO ....
- (1.) He flat out lied when told the kid - don't worry - "we want you - your scholarship is safe" - essentially saying - rest assured that all is good - keep wearing your UCONN shirts to school
- (2.) He then had a coach visit the kid - schmooze him - pump him up - tell him all about how wonderful his visit to UCONN will be ...

THEN - roughly 72 hours later - call and basically says " Uh ... yeah .... even though we have made all of these promises and assurances, uh ...We decided don't want you - so good luck ... and good luck putting together those well thought out college plans in the next 15 days ..."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT