ADVERTISEMENT

Rapid Reaction — Ohio State Pt. 2

Random observations outside of the abomination that was the game itself:

1. The coaching staff gave Oskar extended hugs when he came out at the end. I think he's gone

2. He started JMike, Gavin, and Jeremiah second half. He ALWAYS plays his starters to start the second half (except today given the nonsense of starting Noah/Austin/Oskar).

I think the freshmen have both jumped Derek in the pecking order. Wouldn't surprise me if he decides to transfer to a low/mid major.

Well, it's been another "stellar" Rutgers weekend of sports. -The women lost in the 1st round of the B1G tourney, men's lacrosse lost to Princeton, and men's basketball gets shellacked at home.

Oh well, onward and upward. (One can only hope.) -But Pike and Co. better be hitting that portal in the off-season, and I mean hitting it HARD.

Reactions: King of S

1. The coaching staff gave Oskar extended hugs when he came out at the end. I think he's gone

2. He started JMike, Gavin, and Jeremiah second half. He ALWAYS plays his starters to start the second half (except today given the nonsense of starting Noah/Austin/Oskar).

I think the freshmen have both jumped Derek in the pecking order. Wouldn't surprise me if he decides to transfer to a low/mid major.
3. Why the hell was Larry Johnson there?

3. Mag got an hug obligatory from Pike during senior daythat is it. He is gone

15-55 FGs — 27%

4-18 on threes — 22%

17-28 on free throws — 61%

These stats tell the entire story of the game. And the fact that this has happened in multiple games tells the story of the entire season.

Awful, awful offense. Period.
It’s the story of the season. Love the kids but they were overmatched this season.

15-55 FGs — 27%

4-18 on threes — 22%

17-28 on free throws — 61%

These stats tell the entire story of the game. And the fact that this has happened in multiple games tells the story of the entire season.

Awful, awful offense. Period.
You are being far too kind.From the first game of the season against Princeton to the last against Ohio State Rutgers offense was mediocre at best.The roster had too many players that are poor shooters.The coaching staff showed very little evidence in player development or knowing how to run a half court offense.As Warner Wolf used to say lets look at the video tape.The players can't make layups,foul shots ,3 pointers or close in jump shots.There needs to be changes in the roster and teaching half court offense and positioning for rebounds.A 15-16 record is unacceptable as a prelude to next season with Bailey and Harper on the court.

Just some what ifs as my final thoughts:
What if PM, Spencer. Ndongo had been on this team?
What if Mag, Ogbole were healthy all year?
What if JWill were available from day 1?
Well, that was the intent. It would’ve been nice if even a half or quarter of those things happened. Just wasn’t our year.

Reactions: Scangg
Pike needs to get sharp elbows this offseason. He got lied to and manipulated by Paul and Spencer. Mag also held the program hostage late last offseason and failed to follow through by playing the year out. We can’t go through this again.

Pike needs to get sharp elbows this offseason. He got lied to and manipulated by Paul and Spencer. Mag also held the program hostage late last offseason and failed to follow through by playing the year out. We can’t go through this again.
Agree. Completely different world now.

Unfortunately this is what all coaches are going to have to deal with.

Any good player is going to be to make decisions on their watch.

The notion that Cam and Paul were intentionally lying to manipulate Pike to screw him over is ridiculous

The notion that Cam and Paul were intentionally lying to manipulate Pike to screw him over is ridiculous

That’s not what I said. You’re going to intent. I’m talking about what actually happened. Pike gave them plenty of time and space — and they still left. So, stop being scared about bad news. Set a real deadline and if guys aren’t committed to staying, go find a replacement.

That’s not what I said. You’re going to intent. I’m talking about what actually happened. Pike gave them plenty of time and space — and they still left. So, stop being scared about bad news. Set a real deadline and if guys aren’t committed to staying, go find a replacement.
So now you go from lying and manipulation to he just gave them space and they left. Those are two extremely different takes

I didn’t interpret his post that way. Even Pike has said that he can’t wait around for NBA evals/decisions this offseason. There is a deadline now for declaring in or out on the portal now, correct? That should help.

Reactions: bitnez
So now you go from lying and manipulation to he just gave them space and they left. Those are two extremely different takes

1. They told him they coming back. Pike said that this year.

2. They jumped into the portal as grads, which was late in the game, and asked for time and space, which Pike gave them.

3. They left.

That’s what happened. If you don’t think #2 is manipulation we’ll disagree. But #1 happened and they were lies.

I didn’t interpret his post that way. Even Pike has said that he can’t wait around for NBA evals/decisions this offseason. There is a deadline now for declaring in or out on the portal now, correct? That should help.

This.

1. They told him they coming back. Pike said that this year.

2. They jumped into the portal as grads, which was late in the game, and asked for time and space, which Pike gave them.

3. They left.

That’s what happened. If you don’t think #2 is manipulation we’ll disagree. But #1 happened and they were lies.
One and two could be considered less than truthful. Honestly, I don’t blame Cam for jumping at that opportunity. Still don’t understand Paul’s thinking but it is a beautiful part of the country.

Well for those that sat there best I can say - it's over; highlight of the day was a very emotional Cliff; for those that didn't sit there - good move. Nice to see Bo and interesting to see LJ at the game. He's ok at MSG right - it's Oak they won't allow in. Wasn't long ago they gave everybody a nice Thank You Seniors Tee Shirt; guess this time they had to give us something. Seeing the scoreboard say 26% FG is laughable. And of course it's not. If I listen to pre-season coach speak (will score into the 80's) or buy into what is said on the scrimmages - then that's my fault (again).

Remember, defense was the problem…sometimes our shots will go in…

Well for those that sat there best I can say - it's over; highlight of the day was a very emotional Cliff; for those that didn't sit there - good move. Nice to see Bo and interesting to see LJ at the game. He's ok at MSG right - it's Oak they won't allow in. Wasn't long ago they gave everybody a nice Thank You Seniors Tee Shirt; guess this time they had to give us something. Seeing the scoreboard say 26% FG is laughable. And of course it's not. If I listen to pre-season coach speak (will score into the 80's) or buy into what is said on the scrimmages - then that's my fault (again).
It was a very good senior day ceremony. Anyone know what the LJ connection was to have him in attendance? Great to relive that 4-point play again!

I don’t ever want to see a Rutgers preseason practice highlight reel that only shows the made shots. I want to see the 66% of the shots that are bricks and missed layups too. Stop making us believe they can score

Well, it's been another "stellar" Rutgers weekend of sports. -The women lost in the 1st round of the B1G tourney, men's lacrosse lost to Princeton, and men's basketball gets shellacked at home.

Oh well, onward and upward. (One can only hope.) -But Pike and Co. better be hitting that portal in the off-season, and I mean hitting it HARD.
Not all bad for RU sports. Wrestling had a great weekend at the B10 tournament.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Not all bad for RU sports. Wrestling had a great weekend at the B10 tournament.
Yeah, and let’s look at the big picture. Generally lax is off to a good start as is baseball and softball. Crappy year in MBB, but I still like where we are going. Football is in a solid spot now too. That other poster needs to chill.

This was bad coaching. NF got way too many minutes. It was a 2 pt game at the half and Pike just gave it away. Our inability to keep the man in front of them was glaring. Can’t put Cliff at risk by letting your guy blow by you like a turnstile

This was bad coaching. NF got way too many minutes. It was a 2 pt game at the half and Pike just gave it away. Our inability to keep the man in front of them was glaring. Can’t put Cliff at risk by letting your guy blow by you like a turnstile
Really? We sucked all the way through. Pike was looking for any kind of spark. Everyone was bad today. Everyone.

Reactions: RUskoolie
What does Pikiell do if a player tells Pikiell he is committed but then a month later enters the portal?

That’s what he said to Carino today. Said he learned his lesson and he won’t do it again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT