ADVERTISEMENT

Rapid Reaction — Ohio State Pt. 2

This was bad coaching. NF got way too many minutes. It was a 2 pt game at the half and Pike just gave it away. Our inability to keep the man in front of them was glaring. Can’t put Cliff at risk by letting your guy blow by you like a turnstile
What does that have to do with the offense shooting bricks for most of the game.?

15-55 FGs — 27%

4-18 on threes — 22%

17-28 on free throws — 61%

These stats tell the entire story of the game. And the fact that this has happened in multiple games tells the story of the entire season.

Awful, awful offense. Period.
The above stats tell the entire story of the year - let alone todays game.

As well as the prolonged never ending scoring droughts that this squad endures every game.

Reactions: RUJMM78
Pike needs to get sharp elbows this offseason. He got lied to and manipulated by Paul and Spencer. Mag also held the program hostage late last offseason and failed to follow through by playing the year out. We can’t go through this again.
He’s making a hell of a lot of $ and he’s the adult in the room. No sympathy if his players are punkin him. Roster management is a part of why he commands a high salary.

He’s making a hell of a lot of $ and he’s the adult in the room. No sympathy if his players are punkin him. Roster management is a part of why he commands a high salary.

I agree 100%. That’s my point.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
You need reasonable rules and agreements. Not really any way to manage when grad transfers can do what they want whenever.
The schools can decide at anytime to make players employees and not just students. That would solve every problem related to transfers and agreements. Make no mistake whatsoever the schools have had all the power all along.

You need reasonable rules and agreements. Not really any way to manage when grad transfers can do what they want whenever.

Pike has always been a stand-up player-first coach. He has been consistently patient with guys deciding what to do. My entire point was not that Pike needs to prevent guys from leaving — because he can’t — but he needs commitments from guys much sooner. If guys are unsure he needs to go get someone in the portal who is.

And I just watched his post-game presser, and that’s exactly what he said.

Pike has always been a stand-up player-first coach. He has been consistently patient with guys deciding what to do. My entire point was not that Pike needs to prevent guys from leaving — because he can’t — but he needs commitments from guys much sooner. If guys are unsure he needs to go get someone in the portal who is.

And I just watched his post-game presser, and that’s exactly what he said.
It’s not a commitment unless it’s binding is my point.

Cam leaving last minute completely blindsided him and set us back a year. We are a tourney team with him.

F Cooley and F Hurley too.

Reactions: Loyal-Son

Agree but I don’t think a written contract would hold up. But that’s where this is headed in the next 12-36 months

The trouble is and has always been coaches coming and going. Goose meet Gander….

And players also getting, “the talk”

So it’s got be just as a fair for players and that’s before the NIL, money conversation.

Yeah, and let’s look at the big picture. Generally lax is off to a good start as is baseball and softball. Crappy year in MBB, but I still like where we are going. Football is in a solid spot now too. That other poster needs to chill.
If you were referring to me regarding the "chill" part, from a big picture perspective I agree that things appear to be headed in the right direction. -I like where football is right now and hope the trajectory continues on the upswing, men's wrestling is a definite positive, the men's baseball team seems to be hitting on all cylinders right now. men's basketball recruiting is literally the best it's ever been in terms of this incoming class, and so on.

But all that said, I think you'd have to also agree that the results of this particular weekend are not what we were hoping for, and I would have liked to have had the departing MBB's seniors be able to have a better memory of their last game in Scarlet, as well.

The schools can decide at anytime to make players employees and not just students. That would solve every problem related to transfers and agreements. Make no mistake whatsoever the schools have had all the power all along.
Why? As an employee are you not free to leave anytime you want? As long as booster can top any offer and transferring is available, this is the state of things

Well, it's been another "stellar" Rutgers weekend of sports. -The women lost in the 1st round of the B1G tourney, men's lacrosse lost to Princeton, and men's basketball gets shellacked at home.

Oh well, onward and upward. (One can only hope.) -But Pike and Co. better be hitting that portal in the off-season, and I mean hitting it HARD.
Except wrestler Dylan Shawver won a B1G Championship at 133lbs.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Every coach in college basketball has the same challenges with players and commitments. The bottom line is we finished 13th out of 14 when every team has the same rules. Just more excuses.

Really? We sucked all the way through. Pike was looking for any kind of spark. Everyone was bad today. Everyone.
We were down by 2 at half. I’m not saying we win but to lose by 22. NF should not be out there for extensive minutes. He is no help in O or D.

What does that have to do with the offense shooting bricks for most of the game.?
Maybe some D would help. Same as last game. Competitive for a stretch and then all 4 wheels came off at the same time.

And we gave Pike an extension? Happens every time. The guy is way overrated. These clowns are his players and they suck and quit. onward to spring football

Once again the coaching staff was out coached and embarrassed at home by an interim head coach.

15-55 FGs — 27%

4-18 on threes — 22%

17-28 on free throws — 61%

These stats tell the entire story of the game. And the fact that this has happened in multiple games tells the story of the entire season.

Awful, awful offense. Period.
This was one of the more disappointing season I can remember. Lots of hype before the season about high-flying fast offensive team. Something was so wrong here. How can you have a team where literally nobody can shoot well on a regular basis. Most games the entire team shoots poorly. These are D-1 basketball players and they can't finish at the rim, hit 3's, or even hit free throws. It's hard to comprehend. Guys become worse shooters when the come to RU...consistently get worse in all phases of offense. Part of it is our offensive flow...don't get easy looks in the paint and don't get easy looks from 3. We don't move well without the ball, don't work screens well, etc etc etc. But even when we are wide open we miss...and it's not just one guy or even a couple guys...it's the whole team. Something is broken. It broke in game one and stayed broke through today. The stats in OP post say it all....but watching it all year adds the painful color to the story. I hope we don't break Dylan and Ace....hoping they change the offensive culture here and we can then sustain something after they leave.

Except wrestler Dylan Shawver won a B1G Championship at 133lbs.
Outstanding for him and the RU program! -And I did mention in my earlier post that men's wrestling was, and is, a definite positive, and love that Dylan notched that championship,

This was one of the more disappointing season I can remember. Lots of hype before the season about high-flying fast offensive team. Something was so wrong here. How can you have a team where literally nobody can shoot well on a regular basis. Most games the entire team shoots poorly. These are D-1 basketball players and they can't finish at the rim, hit 3's, or even hit free throws. It's hard to comprehend. Guys become worse shooters when the come to RU...consistently get worse in all phases of offense. Part of it is our offensive flow...don't get easy looks in the paint and don't get easy looks from 3. We don't move well without the ball, don't work screens well, etc etc etc. But even when we are wide open we miss...and it's not just one guy or even a couple guys...it's the whole team. Something is broken. It broke in game one and stayed broke through today. The stats in OP post say it all....but watching it all year adds the painful color to the story. I hope we don't break Dylan and Ace....hoping they change the offensive culture here and we can then sustain something after they leave.

Portal world. Sometimes you’ll get a great mix and other times it won’t work. Also, Pike never recovered from Cam and Paul walking. It forced Noah and/or Derek to run point (and they shouldn’t), and put too much early pressure on Gavin, which wouldn’t have been needed with Cam here. When JWill became eligible, it solved the PG issue for a handful of games and then Mag or his body decided he was done. The team tanked again without him.

I mean Cam completely blind sided Pike and Paul strung him along for 3 months and then transferred like a month before school started.
Cam’s value exploded after the portal closed, as a number of big programs whiffed on players they were chasing in the portal. UConn likely wouldn’t have been after Cam if he had been in the portal earlier. He was just named First Team Big East and is playing on a team a lot of people believe is the favorite to win the National Championship, and now he is even on a few draft boards. He couldn’t have made a better decision.

Reactions: RUskoolie
Cam’s value exploded after the portal closed, as a number of big programs whiffed on players they were chasing in the portal. UConn likely wouldn’t have been after Cam if he had been in the portal earlier. He was just named First Team Big East and is playing on a team a lot of people believe is the favorite to win the National Championship, and now he is even on a few draft boards. He couldn’t have made a better decision.
I'm sure Cam thought he was coming back when he said he was. Things change. Sucks for us, but I think it's unfair to try to frame it that he lied and manipulated Pike. That's not how it went down

I'm sure Cam thought he was coming back when he said he was. Things change. Sucks for us, but I think it's unfair to try to frame it that he lied and manipulated Pike. That's not how it went down

Yeah I can’t subscribe to this. With the comments from his parents about the way he was coached and rumblings from his circle how he was used last season, he was looking for an off ramp. And there’s another factor here that people are ignoring. It’s not easy to transfer into a school like Rutgers, be there only one year, and graduate. The administration needs to work over time to make that happen. I know because my mom did such things for 25+ years at RU. So, yes, I think Cam played the good soldier until he and the family knew that he had the degree locked up. He needed that degree to leave because remember he left as a grad transfer — not a portal guy.

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops
Spot on comments where fans were told that the offense was going to be far better and turned out to be far worse.Roster full of poor shooters resulted in long scoring droughts and the inability to match baskets even for a couple minutes against opponents that had a pulse on offense.

Got to love your viewpoint.

So the guy stabbed PIke in the back in order to get a big pay-day. It is highly unlikely he would ever have gotten such recognition if he stayed at RU, so that makes it a big win for him in your book - and many others as well.

You can also make a great decision for yourself. Transfer your affections to St. John's and their morally bankrupt coach - who would also do anything for money or prestige. He is the darling of the big-time basketball media.

I am sure Cam is thrilled with how things have turned out. That doesn't mean I will ever respect him again, but my opinion accounts for nothing on issues like these. To be honest, I don't really disrespect him that much, as I realize it was his influencers who got him to realize that money comes first.

Got to love your viewpoint.

So the guy stabbed PIke in the back in order to get a big pay-day. It is highly unlikely he would ever have gotten such recognition if he stayed at RU, so that makes it a big win for him in your book - and many others as well.

You can also make a great decision for yourself. Transfer your affections to St. John's and their morally bankrupt coach - who would also do anything for money or prestige. He is the darling of the big-time basketball media.

I am sure Cam is thrilled with how things have turned out. That doesn't mean I will ever respect him again, but my opinion accounts for nothing on issues like these. To be honest, I don't really disrespect him that much, as I realize it was his influencers who got him to realize that money comes first.
Money didn’t necessarily come first. His future came first, and going to UConn was much better for his future as a basketball player, both this year, and in the coming years as a professional basketball player. Kids from all walks of life go to college to prepare themselves for the future, and his one year at UConn was much better for his future than spending another year at Rutgers.

Money didn’t necessarily come first. His future came first, and going to UConn was much better for his future as a basketball player, both this year, and in the coming years as a professional basketball player. Kids from all walks of life go to college to prepare themselves for the future, and his one year at UConn was much better for his future than spending another year at Rutgers.

He didn't leave to go to UConn. He left, then he ended up at UConn. Those are two very different things.

When he left, UConn wasn't even a glimmer in his eye - and there's plenty to be said about the circumstances of his departure. That it ultimately ended up to his benefit is secondary to the manner in which he left.

He didn't leave to go to UConn. He left, then he ended up at UConn. Those are two very different things.

When he left, UConn wasn't even a glimmer in his eye - and there's plenty to be said about the circumstances of his departure. That it ultimately ended up to his benefit is secondary to the manner in which he left.
He knew there were a number high major teams who needed a shooting guard when he went into the portal.

Yeah I can’t subscribe to this. With the comments from his parents about the way he was coached and rumblings from his circle how he was used last season, he was looking for an off ramp. And there’s another factor here that people are ignoring. It’s not easy to transfer into a school like Rutgers, be there only one year, and graduate. The administration needs to work over time to make that happen. I know because my mom did such things for 25+ years at RU. So, yes, I think Cam played the good soldier until he and the family knew that he had the degree locked up. He needed that degree to leave because remember he left as a grad transfer — not a portal guy.

This is 100% accurate and the main reason his departure left me with distaste. There is no getting around that he played us. If he wasn’t planning to shop around, there was no reason he would need an undergraduate degree by May. There’s no question he made the best choice for himself though, and I have no problem with the fact that he chose to do it, just the way it went down.

He knew there were a number high major teams who needed a shooting guard when he went into the portal.

He knew that one program flashed cash, and that there were probably more. If all the talk about his reasons for leaving Rutgers were true, he'd have been in the portal much sooner - he left so late that someone had to have convinced him away from Rutgers.

Given the timing that he left, it was pretty much a middle finger to the staff and his former teammates. That it ended up working out well for him doesn't really change that.

Reactions: kcg88
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT