ADVERTISEMENT

Realistic expectations…

qb room invalidates this but glad you and @yesrutgers01 agree that 8 should be expectation

I find it odd that so many get so triggered on here so easily when making any expectations of Greg that any normal program would have
QB room is def. shaky, but I'm hoping all the reports re. Surace are accurate - if not, we could be in trouble

Why anyone on this board would accept mediocrity and consistent low-level bowls, when the potential of this program is so much greater, is beyond me

If we were Indiana, Purdue, Minnesota, NW, etc. I'd get it
Thankfully we're not though

football wins and losses are really hard to figure, unless one team clearly outclasses the other

the Michigan state game turned on two plays, for example...., do we figure that again?...can't just figure it

other games, we got killed by 2 or 3 pick sixes, that completely turned games around, and we lost
You are correct about Michigan State game, but can't read too much into that game played in a constant rain and with wind. IMO, RU was the "better" team and better coached team, but the team played poorly that day. One could also say that about the Maryland game, which, as a fan, still bugs me, but 1 or 2 WTF games are to be expected in a 12 game season, unless the team you are rooting for is in the national championship hunt. Maybe a way to look at it is RU won a WTF game and lost a WTF game. Onward, upward (hopefully).

C'mon now. Head coach flew the coop. Just about every starter gone. Washington travels 3,000 miles to an earlier time zone. And Rutgers doesn't have "any sort of chance"?
No chance and Washington will win by at least two touchdowns. Save this post.

QB room is def. shaky, but I'm hoping all the reports re. Surace are accurate - if not, we could be in trouble

Why anyone on this board would accept mediocrity and consistent low-level bowls, when the potential of this program is so much greater, is beyond me

You nailed it

I find it odd that so many get so triggered on here so easily when making any expectations of Greg that any normal program would have
I've been following college football for like 60 years and I don't know anyone who ever thought Rutgers football was a normal program.

I do want to be clear…2023 was the trigger for me. Greg has good coaches now. You could see the “execution” this year and we finally looked like we belonged. Also have Mich one of their hardest games- and forget the score, we went manomano with OSU. And that was with weak QB/WR/TE play and no kick return game.
I am finally on board with 2.0
I am not putting 8 games as expectation this year but I do want to say bowl game again and starting 2025 - 8 wins the norm
agree with this

I can't give top marks due to qb room but I'm more in line with your thinking here

Reactions: Rutgers NJ

you miss the point though in that Surace isn't even on campus yet and we've a ton of talent coming back for their last year this year. We'll waste that if the qb isn't up to snuff and we've got a golden opportunity here; this year sets up for us! Many are happy with AK and I absolutely think he's a upgrade but for a BIG program, there were better to get and we didn't. Greg has not managed this room well at all and that is unacceptable for a BIG program.

We shouldn't be in this situation and Gav will be gone come Fall as he's not starting and he'll get that confirmation for the spring portal. Those discussions have already had some measure, in one way or another, of surfacing between the Gav camp and Greg. Anyone who thinks the Gav camp isn't preparing all options is nuts

If AK does well, and I think he will, this team will absolutely reach 8 imho

you miss the point though in that Surace isn't even on campus yet and we've a ton of talent coming back for their last year this year. We'll waste that if the qb isn't up to snuff and we've got a golden opportunity here; this year sets up for us! Many are happy with AK and I absolutely think he's a upgrade but for a BIG program, there were better to get and we didn't. Greg has not managed this room well at all and that is unacceptable for a BIG program.

We shouldn't be in this situation and Gav will be gone come Fall as he's not starting and he'll get that confirmation for the spring portal. Those discussions have already had some measure, in one way or another, of surfacing between the Gav camp and Greg. Anyone who thinks the Gav camp isn't preparing all options is nuts

If AK does well, and I think he will, this team will absolutely reach 8 imho
I get it but I'm trying to be optimistic, 100 % agree with you in that Greg def screwed the pooch in regard to his convervative play calling and lackluster QB's

Reactions: RUTGERS95
I get it but I'm trying to be optimistic, 100 % agree with you in that Greg def screwed the pooch in regard to his convervative play calling and lackluster QB's
Sometimes make me ask the chicken or egg question-

If Greg opened it up regardless of results- would we have found GW actually playing better or be more dynamic
Or was the lame play calling 100% because Greg did not trust ANY QB on the roster in 2023?

Or was it that he could have had Mike Teel and he was going to get his 6 wins with defense no matter who was back there

Realistic expectations would be 6-6, if you’re being honest with yourself. Just because we don’t play UM, PSU, and OSU, people engage in magical thinking that we can go 2-1 against the PAC replacements.

I think the following is a reasonable explanation:

Wins: Howard, Akron, Minnesota, Illinois, Michigan State, Maryland
Losses: VaTech, Washington, Nebraska, Wisconsin, UCLA, USC

Reactions: RULegacy
We can have down years but I expect 8 wins this year (I'll include the bowl game) and 8 moving forward
No reason why this can't be accomplished

8 this year should be possible but may also be somewhat of a stretch. Next year, 8 wins will be likely.

Not too long ago, RU being compared to Pur, Minn and NW would have been a compliment. My how things have changed with the resources to have a proper staff, having a program builder whose learned much at stints with Bucs, Pats and OSU prior to his second stint, upgrade in depth and talent, tangible on field success with six win and a bowl victory.

There is proof of concept of RU football playing in the BIG. Tons of HS talent in a 200 mile radius of Piscataway and tons of RU coaching relationship up and down the eastern seaboard (Midwest, Canada and South included) to identify HS talent and seasoned college players looking to make moves and looking at RU as a viable option to win and get them prepped for a possible NFL opportunity.

I definitely agree that RU fandom should not settle for mediocrity anymore.

GO RU

Reactions: yesrutgers01
So, I went back to check- found DJ’s normal 12 wins but couldn’t find those you said stated 10 wins or anyone that said we have an easy schedule.

Just unacceptable the pessimists who enter the season not thinking we can win all of our games.
uhOOzoi.gif

You're right, the most I saw was 8 wins, and usually that was based on something happening (better QB play, etc.).

If Greg opened it up regardless of results- would we have found GW actually playing better or be more dynamic
Or was the lame play calling 100% because Greg did not trust ANY QB on the roster in 2023?

Or was it that he could have had Mike Teel and he was going to get his 6 wins with defense no matter who was back there
even teel was limited with half field reads; most don't know this

I think it's evident that the limitations was the qb but the whole situation just reeks. No qb brought in last year, this year we went down on the list of available qbs and next year, thus far, appears we going with developing the incoming kids. If Greg doesn't do a 180 here, this is going to be the programs downfall. We have a good team with talent, qb is holding us back too much

Just unacceptable the pessimists who enter the season not thinking we can win all of our games.
uhOOzoi.gif

You're right, the most I saw was 8 wins, and usually that was based on something happening (better QB play, etc.).
Shhhh- I’m the ass for checking and not an ass for just lying and getting called out on it.

And the whole football team hates me for it…😳

Shhhh- I’m the ass for checking and not an ass for just lying and getting called out on it.

And the whole football team hates me for it…😳
so next time you're looking in the mirror just ask yourself, 'why am I such a disliked ass' lollololololol

Realistic expectations would be 6-6, if you’re being honest with yourself. Just because we don’t play UM, PSU, and OSU, people engage in magical thinking that we can go 2-1 against the PAC replacements.

I think the following is a reasonable explanation:

Wins: Howard, Akron, Minnesota, Illinois, Michigan State, Maryland
Losses: VaTech, Washington, Nebraska, Wisconsin, UCLA, USC
We are not losing to UCLA at home. Save this post.

Reactions: Knight Shift

Not sure honestly
It's more PTSD of conservative / questionable offenses post 2008
If GS was new I'd assume he was doing it due to lack of talent
But he has a history of playing not to lose

Not too long ago, RU being compared to Pur, Minn and NW would have been a compliment. My how things have changed with the resources to have a proper staff, having a program builder whose learned much at stints with Bucs, Pats and OSU prior to his second stint, upgrade in depth and talent, tangible on field success with six win and a bowl victory.

There is proof of concept of RU football playing in the BIG. Tons of HS talent in a 200 mile radius of Piscataway and tons of RU coaching relationship up and down the eastern seaboard (Midwest, Canada and South included) to identify HS talent and seasoned college players looking to make moves and looking at RU as a viable option to win and get them prepped for a possible NFL opportunity.

I definitely agree that RU fandom should not settle for mediocrity anymore.

GO RU
Exactly
Nobody expects us to be Mich, OSU, USC or PSU
But I truly believe we can get to the level of Wiscy, Iowa and Sparty, with the occasional 10-2 type season

What a difference a year makes!!!
Last spring the discussion was if we could win 3-5 games. Now we're talking about how competitive we can be against a team that was in the NC game. There are still posters that will contend that GS isn't/wasn't the right man for the job but they seem to have, as the Beatles would say, "vanished in the haze."
Just because people on a message board are talking about it doesn't make it a reality. I think if the team wins 8 or more next year, you've got a point. But there is no solid evidence that they'll be substantially better than this year. I am one who has said Schiano would get us to low bowls, but his ceiling is very low. I think many are in that camp. I want us to be Wisconsin-level, but I don't see it. We're more like Purdue or Northwestern.

Reactions: RULegacy
Not sure honestly
It's more PTSD of conservative / questionable offenses post 2008
If GS was new I'd assume he was doing it due to lack of talent
But he has a history of playing not to lose
Maybe the fans needed to see the 6 win result season. There were many fans really to fire Schiano even before the season started. Yes, there is a balance of how conservative you should play but I still believe it was due to Wimsatt abilities.

Here is also something many miss. What Rutgers has more than anywhere else, is location location location. We do have a huge market here but as we know- hey have so many other things to do and professional teams to keep them occupied. And, we also know- so many fair weather- those people that want to talk about their team at the so called water cooler.
When Rutgers is in a 15-22 funk- we are left with only the diehards. And that includes HS Coaches and handlers.
We had 2023- and you could start to see a little of the interest coming back...follow it up in 2024 with a bowl again, you see a little more- if that leads to 8 wins and at least one of those against one of the "elite" teams in 25 with a high profile bowl- you will see people and then business what to jump on the train again.

I don't know if there is another school that could make as big of a jump as we can with just a little success.

I actually think linebacker should be one of our stronger positions.
Toure and Powell are very good.
Walker and Djabome have interesting potential.
And maybe Winowich gets a shot there.
Winowich will be a RB. He played more like a DE in HS. This class has a couple other LBs that have potential.

Maybe the fans needed to see the 6 win result season. There were many fans really to fire Schiano even before the season started. Yes, there is a balance of how conservative you should play but I still believe it was due to Wimsatt abilities.
I hope so
Would love to be wrong here and have GS open up the offense

Here is also something many miss. What Rutgers has more than anywhere else, is location location location. We do have a huge market here but as we know- hey have so many other things to do and professional teams to keep them occupied. And, we also know- so many fair weather- those people that want to talk about their team at the so called water cooler.
When Rutgers is in a 15-22 funk- we are left with only the diehards. And that includes HS Coaches and handlers.
We had 2023- and you could start to see a little of the interest coming back...follow it up in 2024 with a bowl again, you see a little more- if that leads to 8 wins and at least one of those against one of the "elite" teams in 25 with a high profile bowl- you will see people and then business what to jump on the train again.

I don't know if there is another school that could make as big of a jump as we can with just a little success.

It’s important for us to show consistency. If we can do that, this thing is going to take off like a Roman Candle.

You know I have been saying this for years, right?

Ask @BoogieKnight, he’ll tell ya. 😎

Some success here just because of where we are is magnified much bigger than some other places with similar OR even greater results.

agree and have had these discussons for years but the issues is simple, RU doesn't, as a collective approach, look at football as the one thing that can galvanize state support and funds. Until that changes, its going to be sporadic

we need a uniform approach to our own border that doesn't exist

The 12 team playoff is going to utterly dominate the college football landscape like nothing we have seen to date, if you are not in that discussion you will simply not exist to the average college football fan. The overwhelming media play in this area and throughout the nation will be focused almost exclusively on teams competing for those slots. It will be a media frenzy. 8 wins will certainly get the posters on this board totally psyched, but it will do absolutely nothing to bring in the casual fans in the metropolitan area, it will not even be noticed by most people who have no connection to Rutgers football. 8 wins still only gets you a minor bowl and to move the needle for the very reasons mentioned in your first paragraph you have to be in the playoff discussion. It is a new world, it is all about fielding a playoff contending team, just like the pros.

The 12 team playoff is going to utterly dominate the college football landscape like nothing we have seen to date, if you are not in that discussion you will simply not exist to the average college football fan. The overwhelming media play in this area and throughout the nation will be focused almost exclusively on teams competing for those slots. It will be a media frenzy. 8 wins will certainly get the posters on this board totally psyched, but it will do absolutely nothing to bring in the casual fans in the metropolitan area, it will not even be noticed by most people who have no connection to Rutgers football. 8 wins still only gets you a minor bowl and to move the needle for the very reasons mentioned in your first paragraph you have to be in the playoff discussion. It is a new world, it is all about fielding a playoff contending team, just like the pros.
Those 12 teams will be brining in about 200 HS kids each year...Is there a huge difference between player 150 and player 280?
And in this area, while it is true that the majority are more about gambling more than anything else and a whole lot that are pure front runners. But within an hour from SHI, how many football fans are there? Let's say, o, maybe 2-3 mil? get even less than 1% of them that would like to watch a good un competitive football game for less than $300 per person.

We don't need to convert a whole lot of people. And if we keep churning out some good players to the NFL- IP has had Rutgers mentioned too many times to remember.

Those 12 teams will be brining in about 200 HS kids each year...Is there a huge difference between player 150 and player 280?
And in this area, while it is true that the majority are more about gambling more than anything else and a whole lot that are pure front runners. But within an hour from SHI, how many football fans are there? Let's say, o, maybe 2-3 mil? get even less than 1% of them that would like to watch a good un competitive football game for less than $300 per person.

We don't need to convert a whole lot of people. And if we keep churning out some good players to the NFL- IP has had Rutgers mentioned too many times to remember.
Have you lived in this area long? There are plenty of pro football fans to fill Met Life when the Jets and Giants are winning, do you notice how many fans sell their tickets or don't show up if they are even playing .500 ball? Football fans in the NY Metro Area only care about the playoffs, this is a pro "town", the P4 in general, and the B1G along with the SEC in particular, are viewed as pro leagues by more and more fans and that will only grow exponentially once we begin the 12 team playoff era. And we all know that if it is as big as most expect there will be pressure to go to 16 teams at some point in the next 4 or 5 years. The days of little Rutgers winning 7-9 games and some casual football fans in Elizabeth giving a damn are over, it is produce playoff competitive teams or risk irrelevance.

Have you lived in this area long? There are plenty of pro football fans to fill Met Life when the Jets and Giants are winning, do you notice how many fans sell their tickets or don't show up if they are even playing .500 ball? Football fans in the NY Metro Area only care about the playoffs, this is a pro "town", the P4 in general, and the B1G along with the SEC in particular, are viewed as pro leagues by more and more fans and that will only grow exponentially once we begin the 12 team playoff era. And we all know that if it is as big as most expect there will be pressure to go to 16 teams at some point in the next 4 or 5 years. The days of little Rutgers winning 7-9 games and some casual football fans in Elizabeth giving a damn are over, it is produce playoff competitive teams or risk irrelevance.
THis is kind of a funny take, only beacuse this thing you are referencing never happened. Please show me a time when RU won 7 games and casual fans in the area cared. They cared once, in 2006, when RU was a legitimate contender for half the season, and was in contention for a BCS bowl on the last day of the season, if I recall correctly. That popularity spilled over to the next few seasons, but they weren't there to watch a 7 win team, and I don't thin there were many casual fans, unless they got free tickets from their kids' organizations.

THis is kind of a funny take, only beacuse this thing you are referencing never happened. Please show me a time when RU won 7 games and casual fans in the area cared. They cared once, in 2006, when RU was a legitimate contender for half the season, and was in contention for a BCS bowl on the last day of the season, if I recall correctly. That popularity spilled over to the next few seasons, but they weren't there to watch a 7 win team, and I don't thin there were many casual fans, unless they got free tickets from their kids' organizations.
May have even missed that first year in the B1G as well- Those Mich/PSU games were insane when it came to the crowd.
I don't recall many empty stadiums in 07 and 08 either

May have even missed that first year in the B1G as well- Those Mich/PSU games were insane when it came to the crowd.
I don't recall many empty stadiums in 07 and 08 either
I clearly referenced 07 and 08 in my post. Those first years of the Big 10 weren't full because RU won a few games. The opponents were a novelty.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT