ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

Forget Knox already. You don’t think Cornell will do the same for Knox as they did for Cerchio if it came down to it?

And BTW, no school has milked the reputation of the conference it belongs to like Cornell has. Carl Sagan was a long time ago folks.

Last edited:
Forget Knox already. You don’t think Cornell will do the same for Knox as they did for Circhio if it came down to it?

And BTW, no school has milked the reputation of the conference it belongs to like Cornell has. Carl Sagan was a long time ago folks.
There are other reasons why a prospect might choose Cornell over Rutgers. Just look at final X. Cornell had 4 alumni in the finals.

There are other reasons why a prospect might choose Cornell over Rutgers. Just look at final X. Cornell had 4 alumni in the finals.
Of course there is. But that has little to do with my point that Knox isn’t coming here or that Cornell has milked the most out of their Ivy label.

Reactions: UnderHooks
What makes you say that?
It’s hilarious that after literal day 1 of Knox recruiting period that some people are already writing off Rutgers chances, and the same people will get their torches and pitchforks ready to blame Goodale if he were to go elsewhere.

Reactions: Leonard23
Ivy or not, Cornell is a better program than we are. That doesn’t mean we can’t land a top prospect that they’re also after.

Reactions: UnderHooks
It’s hilarious that after literal day 1 of Knox recruiting period that some people are already writing off Rutgers chances, and the same people will get their torches and pitchforks ready to blame Goodale if he were to go elsewhere.
I’m definitely writing off Goodales chances.

The real question is whether Knox’s parents want to pay up for Cornell? They aren’t getting any financial aid.

Reactions: SCNJ
The real question is whether Knox’s parents want to pay up for Cornell? They aren’t getting any financial aid.
Where is this coming from? The father does well in sales and from Rhino. He pays good money to people to coach his kid and scout his opponents but he’s going to cry poor house when it comes to choices in education or collegiate wrestling opportunity? Come on.

Where is this coming from? The father does well in sales and from Rhino. He pays good money to people to coach his kid and scout his opponents but he’s going to cry poor house when it comes to choices in education or collegiate wrestling opportunity? Come on.
I would be surprised if the old financial aid trick for Ivy , division 2, and division 3 athletes has gone away!

I don’t think anyone is calling Knox poor but a 4 years at Cornell is going to run him over 300k. Not sure where the Ivy’s stand on NIL but he would get a full ride from Rutgers plus whatever NIL money they come up with. In this era of college sports a big part of choosing a school is money.

Also worth noting that unlike a lot of the other top non public wrestlers in the state, Knox is at SJV which is a different culture than the prep schools up north. I’m sure Knox could have gone to Delbarton, Blair, BC, etc but he stayed local. He’s the best NJ wrestler since Suriano and Ashnault who both ultimately ended up here although through different avenues.

These days the only kids that go Ivy are either rich and pay full boat or poor and get financial aid. From what I understand, Knox will not qualify for financial aid. With schools like Iowa offering schollies plus serious six-figure NIL deals there is little chance Knox is going to pass that up to write a big check to Cornell. Not to mention SJV is NOT an institution of high quality education.

Reactions: SCNJ
I don’t think anyone is calling Knox poor but a 4 years at Cornell is going to run him over 300k. Not sure where the Ivy’s stand on NIL but he would get a full ride from Rutgers plus whatever NIL money they come up with. In this era of college sports a big part of choosing a school is money.

Also worth noting that unlike a lot of the other top non public wrestlers in the state, Knox is at SJV which is a different culture than the prep schools up north. I’m sure Knox could have gone to Delbarton, Blair, BC, etc but he stayed local. He’s the best NJ wrestler since Suriano and Ashnault who both ultimately ended up here although through different avenues.
The guy makes over $1M/ year. Maybe he would choose to send his son to his second choice in schools because of cost, but I highly doubt that. Also none of the people familiar with his thinking that I have spoken with seemed to see Rutgers in his aspirations. Maybe that will change, I know he’s very interested in his brand so perhaps he could be convinced starting locally is the best way to build it, but every indication I have seen outside of the people on this board is that he is a very long shot, at best. I can see if my buddy who knows father will inquire again. His desire was Penn previously and we know they’ll drop their standards if they like a kid enough. He also gets privates from McKenna and lizak. Until shown otherwise, my assumption is RU remains a long shot, but as I said, will see maybe thinking has changed.

Last edited:
Just heard some rumors that he was big Iowa fan growing up and he’s a Ivey lean.. its not set in stone or anything but would be surprised if he goes anywhere else.
Just heard some rumors that he was big Iowa fan growing up and he’s a Ivey lean.. its not set in stone or anything but would be surprised if he goes anywhere else.
The guy makes over $1M/ year. Maybe he would choose to send his son to his second choice in schools because of cost, but I highly doubt that. Also none of the people familiar with his thinking that I have spoken with seemed to see Rutgers in his aspirations. Maybe that will change, I know he’s very interested in his brand so perhaps he could be convinced starting locally is the best way to build it, but every indication I have seen outside of the people on this board is that he is a very long shot, at best. I can see if my buddy who knows father will inquire again. His desire was Penn previously and we know they’ll drop their standards if they like a kid enough. He also gets privates from McKenna and lizak. Until shown otherwise, my assumption is RU remains a long shot, but as I said, will see maybe thinking has changed.
Why are you tripling down on rumors? I doubt Iowa is as strong a contender as you say, and you're way off on Rutgers and will leave it at that.

Knox gets privates from two former Rutgers wrestlers and Shawver. He was at the RTC practice on June 15. Mike Grey might have called him but he was at the APC that morning.
I'm hearing Knox wants to stay home. Until I hear otherwise looks like Knox is coming to Rutgers.

Knox gets privates from two former Rutgers wrestlers and Shawver. He was at the RTC practice on June 15. Mike Grey might have called him but he was at the APC that morning.
I'm hearing Knox wants to stay home. Until I hear otherwise looks like Knox is coming to Rutgers.
Yeah that’s wonderful. So he’s coming here then? I’m sorry, am I wrong for believing RU isn’t where he’s going to end up based on what I was told from people who know him? I’d like to see him here as much as you do.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Leonard23
Who are the former wrestlers?

That’s great. I hope the former wrestlers are Ashnault and Perrotti. The careers of Mason and Brewer didn’t work out well at Rutgers.

That’s great. I hope the former wrestlers are Ashnault and Perrotti. The careers of Mason and Brewer didn’t work out well at Rutgers.
Mason did worst when he was at Minnesota.. only was a NQ.. here he picked up a lot of big wins and was as high as third seed at nationals, I believe. Just wasn’t able to convert it to AA. Idr brewer tbh.. was he before Goodale’s era?

Yeah that’s wonderful. So he’s coming here then? I’m sorry, am I wrong for believing RU isn’t where he’s going to end up based on what I was told from people who know him? I’d like to see him here as much as you do.
Rutgers or Princeton I'm hearing

Everyone jumping off a cliff because Mike Grey dialed Knox’s phone number faster than any other coaches at the stroke of midnight on day 1.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT