ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

Didn’t he and his father bash Rutgers during the recruiting process more or less saying Rutgers was beneath them? Probably shouldn’t have burned some bridges, oops
He bashed us hard.. no way he’s ever coming here.. doesn’t seem he can beat Davis for the spot now if they burn his RS.. PSU just recruited a bunch of stud lightweights so doubt we will ever see Howard start again if not this year…nothing wrong with being a room guy..

Would be a little surprised if he transfers.. would means he’s close to 100% healthy n thinks he can compete.. most likely situation is prolly retire or just work out in the room with the guys there..

Reactions: njsportsphan
He bashed us hard.. no way he’s ever coming here.. doesn’t seem he can beat Davis for the spot now if they burn his RS.. PSU just recruited a bunch of stud lightweights so doubt we will ever see Howard start again if not this year…nothing wrong with being a room guy..

Would be a little surprised if he transfers.. would means he’s close to 100% healthy n thinks he can compete.. most likely situation is prolly retire or just work out in the room with the guys there..
I think he's better in freestyle. Could the longer term play be to stay there either way and workout w nlwc?

I think that we'll see more PSU kids in the portal. Not that we need him (or want him), but I could see Robert Howard hitting the portal. His college career really took a turn with the injuries. He's probably going to graduate soon and has like 3 or 4 years of eligibility left.
Deluca committed to Iowa not PSU… he will be fine at Iowa they are basically lightweight U. PSU tho will have a huge logjam in the mid-upper weight soon though… as they say Cael always has a plan but they just seem to get a never ending stream of talent…

These kids come there, being the best their whole hs career so everyone thinks they will win the starting job there… that’s their mentality but the math and timeline won’t add up for all… so I agree we will be seeing some of those guys hit the portal or just get used to being a room guy which might not be bad at all if ur training wit the best…

Could have been talking about Henkel. They got a handful of guys around his weight that are young getting ready to step in

Could have been talking about Henkel. They got a handful of guys around his weight that are young getting ready to step in
Levi Haines, Mesenbrink, Facundo, Duke, Sealy, Cunningham, Henckel I’m sure I’m missing someone else too.. Ryder, Mirasola twins... how they going fit all that in the middle-upper weights…

Reactions: Peteras9144
I think he's better in freestyle. Could the longer term play be to stay there either way and workout w nlwc?
They say FS is more fun to watch then folkstyle but idk y.. can’t get into it.. maybe bc there’s no emotional attachment or team sport element to it idk much prefer folkstyle and barely follow FS… think wrestling needs to do a team dual championship or something like the bowl games in college football… get more fans into it.. some stakes involved otherwise it’s just two random guys scrapping .. and for that why would ppl care.. maybe that’s y I could never really get that into freestyle wrestling….

Didn’t he and his father bash Rutgers during the recruiting process more or less saying Rutgers was beneath them? Probably shouldn’t have burned some bridges, oops
I don't know the details, but I saw a few instances where that vibe was put out there (too good for RU). I never really liked the kid after seeing him place the shoes in the mat for the Flo event.

Not sure where Knox ends up weight wise but I wonder if his commitment is was led to Smith’s decommitment. I think Knox is going to be good enough to go the Yianni route of not needing to do a year at Finger Lakes so if Cornell’s plan was to send Smith there, then each guys four years would overlap each other
Smith is way smaller than Knox. I think there is a chance Smith has trouble making 125. And if he does could be at that weight his whole career.

• Wow
Reactions: Leonard23
They say FS is more fun to watch then folkstyle but idk y.. can’t get into it.. maybe bc there’s no emotional attachment or team sport element to it idk much prefer folkstyle and barely follow FS… think wrestling needs to do a team dual championship or something like the bowl games in college football… get more fans into it.. some stakes involved otherwise it’s just two random guys scrapping .. and for that why would ppl care.. maybe that’s y I could never really get that into freestyle wrestling….
Yeah, need a team. People who follow folkstyle usually become fans of guys who they like from their freestyle teams

Smith is way smaller than Knox. I think there is a chance Smith has trouble making 125. And if he does could be at that weight his whole career.
Heard smith is pretty small.. hopefully he gets a little bigger to compete in the big ten at 125.

• Wow
Reactions: Leonard23
Heard smith is pretty small.. hopefully he gets a little bigger to compete in the big ten at 125.
And bc of that he might be a little under ranked, about ranked 80 on flo’s big board, so there’s def upside… love the fact he won a prestigious National tournament, beast of the East(I value winning these more then any state titles), and beat fresh phenom Paul Kenny… love in his interviews he’s focused on improvement too… this recruiting class prolly a top 10 class now w Smiths inclusion.

Peterson has 2 years of eligibility after this season. I would think Smith will most likely redshirt next year and then there’s one overlap year. In other words, he’ll have something like 20 months after his season ends this year to put on 12 pounds before competing for a starting spot, and if all is still well with Peterson at that point Smith could have another 12 months before he’s looked at to be the starter. Pretty much 2.5 calendar years. No reason to be concerned about his size at this point.

Peterson has 2 years of eligibility after this season. I would think Smith will most likely redshirt next year and then there’s one overlap year. In other words, he’ll have something like 20 months after his season ends this year to put on 12 pounds before competing for a starting spot, and if all is still well with Peterson at that point Smith could have another 12 months before he’s looked at to be the starter. Pretty much 2.5 calendar years. No reason to be concerned about his size at this point.
Not even 12 pounds.. he’s wrestling at 120 rn

Reactions: Bobbynieds
If our coaches went after him, Cornell had him committed, I am sure he's got the frame to go 125. You need the right frame to fill out the weights in college.

Size will come as needed, considering most frosh need to hit the gym hard to acclimate to college anyway.

Plus, the weight cut for some of these 125 is brutal especially the career 125 guys. It’s not natural for a fully grown man to weigh so little. Also, Rivera was at a similar weight at the same age and finished up at 141. So keep that in mind.
We’ll see I guess., everyone is different. He seems like a talented kid.

Ayden Smith is wrestling in Escape the Rock this weekend. He is the #1 seed at 114 and is currently in the quarterfinals. We could see a potential rematch with Paul Kenny in the finals if they both win out.

Alex Nini is also at Escape the Rock. He is seeded #3 at 145. Also in the quarterfinals and if he wins out he will get a potential rematch against Jack Consiglio from Malvren Prep (ranked #2 nationally at 145 and heading to Stanford) who beat him at Powerade

Conner Harer is wrestling at Mid-Winter Mayhem and is currently in the finals. He is absolutely decimating the field with 3 TFs and 2 falls thus far.

Ayden Smith is wrestling in Escape the Rock this weekend. He is the #1 seed at 114 and is currently in the quarterfinals. We could see a potential rematch with Paul Kenny in the finals if they both win out.

Alex Nini is also at Escape the Rock. He is seeded #3 at 145. Also in the quarterfinals and if he wins out he will get a potential rematch against Jack Consiglio from Malvren Prep (ranked #2 nationally at 145 and heading to Stanford) who beat him at Powerade

Conner Harer is wrestling at Mid-Winter Mayhem and is currently in the finals. He is absolutely decimating the field with 3 TFs and 2 falls thus far.
Both Harer’s win in the finals. Connor with a 3-2 win and the Brandt beats PSU recruit Gibson 3-1. Big win!

Both Harer’s win in the finals. Connor with a 3-2 win and the Brandt beats PSU recruit Gibson 3-1. Big win!
Thats a big win.

Anyone with intel on Gibson? A few years ago he was "unbeatable" and now he's an ordinary top 100 wrestler. Which is still pretty awesome, but it looks like hes dropped off a bit and has a few losses.

Thats a big win.

Anyone with intel on Gibson? A few years ago he was "unbeatable" and now he's an ordinary top 100 wrestler. Which is still pretty awesome, but it looks like hes dropped off a bit and has a few losses.
If I had to guess he matured faster than most as he was probably held back as well, which caused him to be more dominant early on. At this point in HS, I think most people caught up to him in terms strength and overall development. He obviously has talent but he’s just not an elite outlier anymore.

Hopefully Conner continues has a great experience at RU because it was be awesome to land Brandt in a year or so as well.
What other schools were recruiting Connor? His experience at Rutgers may influence his brother's choice, as well as any other attractive offer$. If beating Gibson is any indication, he may be recruited heavily.

Blanchette lost in the finals to the #3 seed 3-1. I'm wondering if he can cut to 165.

Smith wins 5-1 and Kenny wins 8-0. They will meet in the Finals

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT