ADVERTISEMENT

Report: Michigan working on a lifetime contract for Jim Harbaugh

Crazy. If they actually negotiated this, I hope they include what is a fireable offense or similar items, just in case. Can't imagine them really doing this, though.

Makes sense. Not like the guy has a track record of wearing thin on institutions he's worked for in the past.
I don't think the wearing thin thing is a big deal because 2 out of the last 3 stops he left for bigger opportunities. It's also college so faces are changing all the time.

But even though I like him as coach and don't really care about his eccentricities, there's no reason for it if the report is true. You can continually extend why the need for a lifetime contract? How does a buyout even work or is it some predetermined number, should you ever want to fire him.

Jeez they already pay the guy $9 mil., what's a lifetime contract worth? Guaranteed completion of his own personal Death Star. Hell the Emperor couldn't even deliver on that one.

Last edited:
Reactions: brgRC90
It does make sense. Name one coach they could get realistically that would be better. Just one

Sounds impressive.......... but, I have inside information:

i01182m.gif

Harbaugh's record so far in things that matter most to Wolverine fans:

vs. Ohio St: 0-2
vs. MSU: 1-2
0 Big Ten Championships
0 Playoff appearances

He's also just 7-9 against teams with winning records (43.8%), and just 3-7 against Big Ten teams with winning records (30%). He's also just 1-1 in bowl games.

If that trend continues, I don't see Michigan being too eager to keep him around.

Reactions: TRU2RU
It doesn't make sense to me. I figured the Michigan faithful would be starting to get frustrated with him by now. He's turned the program around from the RichRod-Brady Hoke days but he's fallen short every single season in trying to get them back to elite status, and I don't think you can just chalk it up to needing another year or two to recruit his players. He's had great teams stocked with talent that are close to winning the big games but they keep losing the really big games, consistently. Some coaches are like that. They just can't win the biggest games.

He's had great teams stocked with talent that are close to winning the big games but they keep losing the really big games, consistently. Some coaches are like that. They just can't win the biggest games.
Would that be considered a Schottenheimering or Reiding?

I'll admit, right up front, that I didn't read any of the posts in this thread.

I'm assuming, however, that some number of people have expressed a profound lack of caring. I'd like to add myself to those voices.

This is likely nothing more than a PR stunt to quell rumors like he leaving for the NFL or he wearing out his welcome. While it might be "lifetime" it likely has buy out clauses that really makes it not different then any other contract.

That was my thought as well, though it would be great to see Michigan get Bobby Bonilla’d

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT