ADVERTISEMENT

RTCs: SKWC, NJRTC, PRTC, NYCRTC, LHVWC

To answer why AA left, all I can tell you what he told me and then interpret what was not said. He said he left to devote all his energy to competing at the highest level which he could not do while coaching. I believe if he stayed here he might be drawn into coaching our kids taking him away from his goal. My interpretation of what he said. Regarding Martin I think he is in Florida away from wrestling? Leo is not working I believe.
Don't resident athletes train with the college kids. Aren't we asked to donate so we can get resident athletes to help make our college wrestlers better. Are you saying that Ashnault will not have to wrestle with the Columbia kids at the NYCRTC? I am confused.

Don't resident athletes train with the college kids. Aren't we asked to donate so we can get resident athletes to help make our college wrestlers better. Are you saying that Ashnault will not have to wrestle with the Columbia kids at the NYCRTC? I am confused.
Yeah, good point. When I asked what responsibilities the RAs had, I was told "to wrestle". I was trying to get at the very substance of what you're asking. I'm thinking the RTC needs to redefine itself (not re-imagine - gawd, I hate that expression). If the RTC is not there for the Rutgers wrestlers' benefit, it's not an effective use of money. I'm not complaining about Buxton being paid to be there and in fact, would like to think he could have a greater role in the overall development of the kids. I hope he is still there.

We can’t do the things Penn State does. They have history, championships, individual champions, money, and a big name brand. We’re not there yet. We can’t do the same things right now. As much as we all want that to change it’s going to require some patience. If you have some realistic suggestions on how to expedite the process I’ll listen.
New coaching staff

AA said”I need to work on different things and a change” so interpret that as you will. He said he loves Rutgers and always will. He hopes to be back coaching some day!

Resident athletes have their own practices but they will help with the college kids. It depends what is in AA contract. Remember resident athletes are working towards being World and Olympic champions. When Myles didn't have RTC practice he was helping the college kids. Will AA help Columbia kids he most likely will.

McKenna, Snyder, Hall, McFadden, Gwiz, Gilman, Burroughs, Green, Oliver and Cox all train wrestlers to compete against their alma mater.

Resident athletes have their own practices but they will help with the college kids. It depends what is in AA contract. Remember resident athletes are working towards being World and Olympic champions. When Myles didn't have RTC practice he was helping the college kids. Will AA help Columbia kids he most likely will.

McKenna, Snyder, Hall, McFadden, Gwiz, Gilman, Burroughs, Green, Oliver and Cox all train wrestlers to compete against their alma mater.
Good point. These wrestlers are all doing what is best for them, training wise and/or financially. While probably every RU wrestling fan is disappointed, we shouldn't be butt hurt that he went elsewhere. Hopefully AA comes full circle and returns to the Banks to help our kids and improve the squad in the (near!) future.

Good point. These wrestlers are all doing what is best for them, training wise and/or financially. While probably every RU wrestling fan is disappointed, we shouldn't be butt hurt that he went elsewhere. Hopefully AA comes full circle and returns to the Banks to help our kids and improve the squad in the (near!) future.
Remember AA didn't leave the state he trains in Hoboken at the Edge wrestling club. I'm pretty sure AA will make a couple appearances to the room.

You're right, there is no way to spin all that positively. Saying Ashnault left for a new scenery makes it sound like he wanted flower pots in the corners of the wrestling room. What has happened is Anthony left because the Rutgers program and RTC cannot provide the training needed to be competitive at the high levels.

I didn't know that Leo left; it's another example of the secrecy around information flow. When I ask questions, I'm essentially told I don't have a right to know. And there's one genius that thinks I want to steal all Rutgers coaching secrets to help Penn State. Think about that for a moment.

So now the coaching staff is down the most talented addition since Donnie. Martin left after how long? How often was he actually there? Is Buxton still there? Is our annual WTF? moment going to come even earlier this year?

Watch, here come the cheerboys.
You are here: Home / Homepage Featured / Welcome SKWC Executive Director Joe Pollard
February 18, 2022 By SKWC Leave a Comment

After nearly 15 years of service with the Rutgers Wrestling team and SKWC, John Leonardis has stepped down from the role as Executive Director and is passing the baton to Joe Pollard.
SKWC Co-President Tom Perrotti noted “As our first Executive Director, John has been instrumental in the transformation of SKWC. With Joe Pollard as Executive Director and Jeff Buxton as Head Coach, John is leaving us in capable hands. We thank him for all of the work he has done and in his future endeavors.”
SKWC Executive Director Joe pollard
Having joined Rutgers program in 2011, Joe Pollard is very well-known to the Rutgers fans and the wrestling community. He remains the Rutgers Wrestling Director of Operations.
Joe Pollard noted, “My friend John Leonardis leaves big shoes to fill and I will work hard to fulfill the mission of the SKWC that John sought to bring to fruition. The SKWC is entering the next Olympic cycle and we have high aspirations for our RTC athletes including Myles Martin, Anthony Ashnault, Sebastian Rivera, Kamol
Begakov, and Jordan Pagano. Coach Buxton and I will work to have the best RTC possible and also to keep the Rutgers Wrestling team working with top athletes and role models.”
cats.svg

NOT A SECRET!!!

https://scarletknightswrestlingclub.com

What are we waiting for? We need a heavyweight coach and some resident athletes. Rivera is doing great as a resident athlete.

I have the credentials but not the patience. I prefer fly fishing. But thanks anyway
No you Don't ...Where have you ever coached and Won Anything? A 2x 7th place finisher (Great career) from 40 years ago and no coaching experience probably doesnt have The Credentials to take over a B1G Program And I think that post was a joke about you and your other other screen name you use...

Head Coach- RUCrackers
Associate Head Coach- PessimisticallyHopefulPragmatist

Both You!

Last edited:
No you Don't ...Where have you ever coached and Won Anything? A 2x 7th place finisher (Great career) from 40 years ago and no coaching experience probably doesnt have The Credentials to take over a B1G Program And I think that post was a joke about you and your other other screen name you use...

Head Coach- RUCrackers
Associate Head Coach- PessimisticallyHopefulPragmatist

Both You!
Ha...pipe down, you nobody.My credentials up to 8th grade probably outshine yours as an adult. You're a little late with the " Rutgers sophomore" material.Like almost a year late. Come up with some new material... that maybe only 2% of the posters haven't mentioned to me.

Ha...pipe down, you nobody.My credentials up to 8th grade probably outshine yours as an adult. You're a little late with the " Rutgers sophomore" material.Like almost a year late. Come up with some new material... that maybe only 2% of the posters haven't mentioned to me.
You may well have college wrestling "credentials", but I have difficulty believing that you're Anthony Surage. Me thinks you're lying...again.

You may well have college wrestling "credentials", but I have difficulty believing that you're Anthony Surage. Me thinks you're lying...again.
And apparently you dont have a backround in forensics.Guess again my friend. Even if I was a wrestler that you guys guessed on or figured out, and I played into the bait and trap with comebacks, I still wouldn't reveal who I am. Even if I was asked in public( which I was).As most or you are anonymous, I wish to stay that way. I personally don't care if any of you say " You didnt wrestle for Rutgers". I just wish to keep my identity unrevealed. AS I am not.

And apparently you dont have a backround in forensics.Guess again my friend. Even if I was a wrestler that you guys guessed on or figured out, and I played into the bait and trap with comebacks, I still wouldn't reveal who I am. Even if I was asked in public( which I was).As most or you are anonymous, I wish to stay that way. I personally don't care if any of you say " You didnt wrestle for Rutgers". I just wish to keep my identity unrevealed. AS I am not.
Did you just tell someone they were wrong for saying you’re not AS and then admit you’re not AS five sentences later?

Being anonymous on a message board is fine. That’s not the same as pretending to be someone else who is real. That’s catfishing, not anonymity. If the real Anthony Surage or someone close to him read these boards he probably wouldn’t appreciate what you’ve done to his name and legacy.

Did you just tell someone they were wrong for saying you’re not AS and then admit you’re not AS five sentences later?

Being anonymous on a message board is fine. That’s not the same as pretending to be someone else who is real. That’s catfishing, not anonymity. If the real Anthony Surage or someone close to him read these boards he probably wouldn’t appreciate what you’ve done to his name and legacy.
C'mon. Take it easy on the guy. There could be another individual who is a two time AA, who was at Rutgers a year ago as a sophmore and took advanced mathematics with a special exemption (as a non math major i believe), AND is AS but really isn't AS...right?

Nice try..I played D1 Football on a Full ride..Also had scholarship offers to wrestle for Ohio State and Lehigh so YOUR wrong about CREDENTIALS again
We really could use some good news. Otherwise, this board seems to revert to bickering and challenging each other.

I don't care what one's credentials were years ago. Opinions and thoughts on the coaches, the team, recruiting, our opponents, and the outlook and line-up for the season are interesting.

As other have said, a great upper-weight coach and a big-time recruit like Mullen will change the dialogue. LetsGoRUWrestling, Mikemessner, and WNGarbarini seem well connected to the coaches. Can you give us an update on the coaching search.

After we have offerred some big name heavyweight coaches and been rejected, Pollard would seem like an admission that we are not an attractive place to be at. What would it be saying to recruits especially when we don’t have big guys in our RTC as training partners. Everyone says Pollard is loyal and a good guy. Just wouldn’t have the credentials of a Big Ten coach. While I don’t know, how many Big Ten schools have only one All American as a coach? Would be harder to sell Rutgers to recruits with only 25% of the staff being an All American.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
We don't need anyone from Princeton. Sean Gray put out on twitter that Jackson was staying with them. Good keep Jackson we don't need him.

Put the post back up Gray.

Reactions: LetsGoRUwrestling
After we have offerred some big name heavyweight coaches and been rejected, Pollard would seem like an admission that we are not an attractive place to be at. What would it be saying to recruits especially when we don’t have big guys in our RTC as training partners. Everyone says Pollard is loyal and a good guy. Just wouldn’t have the credentials of a Big Ten coach. While I don’t know, how many Big Ten schools have only one All American as a coach? Would be hard to sell Rutgers with only 25% of the staff being an All Americans.
My thoughts exactly. Pollard to me screams small time and settling. Are we a B1G program or a EIWA program?

Reactions: RUmb20
After we have offerred some big name heavyweight coaches and been rejected, Pollard would seem like an admission that we are not an attractive place to be at. What would it be saying to recruits especially when we don’t have big guys in our RTC as training partners. Everyone says Pollard is loyal and a good guy. Just wouldn’t have the credentials of a Big Ten coach. While I don’t know, how many Big Ten schools have only one All American as a coach? Would be harder to sell Rutgers to recruits with only 25% of the staff being an All American.
That's a stupid post. You clearly know nothing about coaching or Joe Pollard.

Aside from his well qualified credentials, his hiring also says once you’re here you’re treated like family for the rest of your life.

That's a stupid post. You clearly know nothing about coaching or Joe Pollard.
Sorry that my post was stupid. Just don’t understand who will workout with our big guys and how we will be attractive to high school kids. Understand that Pollard is loyal and everyone loves him. When looking at our competition they seem to have higher profile guys who are know throughout the country for recruiting purposes. Is Pollard a known name in Pa and Ohio? Does he have good relationships with kids from other states. Great guy-Just doesn’t fit the bill for me.

• Haha
Reactions: Leonard23
Seems like LetsGoRUWrestling,mikemessner, and SCNJ might be testing a trial balloon to see if Pollard has support. No question he is loyal and will be a good representative of the program. I think we would all support him. He would just be a disappointing hire for many fans.

Azz Clown Gray put out on twitter saying Goodale and Rutgers stop poaching our coaches...He's staying with Us.

Princeton keep Jackson
Seems like LetsGoRUWrestling,mikemessner, and SCNJ might be testing a trial balloon to see if Pollard has support. No question he is loyal and will be a good representative of the program. I think we would all support him. He would just be a disappointing hire for many fans.
We don't hire for the fans. They hire who's best for the program.

Goodale has tried to hire a big man coach, all of them have said no. Jackson used his Azz friend Gray to say no on twitter.

Sorry that my post was stupid. Just don’t understand who will workout with our big guys and how we will be attractive to high school kids. Understand that Pollard is loyal and everyone loves him. When looking at our competition they seem to have higher profile guys who are know throughout the country for recruiting purposes. Is Pollard a known name in Pa and Ohio? Does he have good relationships with kids from other states. Great guy-Just doesn’t fit the bill for me.
Yes, Pollard is known in Ohio and PA.

Reactions: Leonard23
I will always support my friend but he doesn't need it because he has the credentials. Pollard is a great coach that deserves to be on a D1 coaching staff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT