ADVERTISEMENT

RU and Amercia lost a Great Hero and One Helluva Guy last Wednesday

SantaFeScarlet

All American
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2001
Kevin Stewart, age 61, (RC ’78 and a member of Chi Psi fraternity) a lifelong Jersey City firefighter, beloved husband and father, devoted son and brother, civil servant and hero, passed into the Lord’s hands on July 6, 2016. Kevin will be greatly missed by his fireman brothers along with his loving family and countless friends.

As a third generation member of the Jersey City Fire Department, Kevin saved literally hundreds of lives, while the men he taught saved possibly thousands more. His career advanced steadily over his 37 years with the fire department, to his final rank of Deputy Chief/City-Wide Tour Commander.

He was a member of FEMA, Lakehurst NJ Barracks, where he served as Task Force Leader, NJ Task Force 1 Urban Search and Rescue. His task force was the first self-contained unit to arrive on the scene at the WTC after the 9/11 attacks, and Kevin and his men worked tirelessly over their 10-day rescue mission. He was recognized during President Bush’s visit to the WTC site, and was keynote speaker at a moving post-9/11 remembrance event at Liberty Park attended by thousands. He also served during Hurricane Sandy and led search and rescue efforts in boats in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. Kevin’s search and rescue expertise with the 9/11 Foundation sent him to South Africa and Paraguay, where his training was highly instrumental to the development of local rescue initiatives.

Kevin’s friendly demeanor, approachability and can-do attitude earned him the respect of his men and the admiration of his friends and family. A man of great character and strength, a jokester, and protector of his family and his sisters, he was a rock and mentor to many, disliked by none. Kevin was inspired with life and lived it to the fullest.

An avid Rutgers, Yankees and Giants fan, his zeal and high-decibel rooting and critiquing were legendary. He was also known for his incredible tailgating in the yellow lot and cooked as only a lifelong firefighter could, serving up delectable meals for dozens.

Kevin leaves behind his loving wife Irene Boczar who he met at Rutgers and his beautiful daughter Maeve, who attends Coastal Carolina University and who Kevin got an internship with the NJ State Police’s Intelligence Division this summer, which brought him tremendous satisfaction that his daughter also has the desire to serve.

Kevin and I did many RU road trips together including the 2006 football game at WVU where the Mountaineers' pulled off a triple-overtime win 41-39 over then No. 13 Rutgers denying RU our first BCS berth. Our tailgating that weekend was legendary!

Kevin I will forever love you my brother and my you rest in peace.

If any of you knew Kevin and would like to recognize his life, donations may be sent to Saint Barnabas Burn Center (https://www.barnabashealth.org/Saint-Barnabas-Medical- Center/Giving/Give-Now.aspx)

Rob,I met him briefly with you and the late great RC78 Steve Tracy. Great guy. You just dropped one of the most heartfelt obits of all time on us.
I am blown away..

So sorry to hear Sante Fe...RIP...Kevin seemed like he was a real hero in a time where we need them...far too young to lose. Thoughts and prayers go out to Kevin's friends and family.

I'm glad you wrote this.

We probably have met onetime or another at the many tailgates Kevin invited me to (and always reminded me to bring my Dad) over the years.

The way he took care of his dad and my Dad (also both members of the Jersey City Fire Department) at said tailgates showed how a true gentleman treats their elders....he always made it a point to make sure the Chief (my Dad) was taken care of. I am away and won't be able to make the wake or funeral but I will be sure to show this to my parents as I am sure they (especially my Dad) very pleased to read it.

Well done, @SantaFeScarlet . Well done indeed.

Very well said SantaFeScarlet! May Kevin rest in peace. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Have been part of Kevin's tailgates for several years now. He was everything stated in the obit and more. A great guy who will be missed in many arenas, not just in the yellow lot. May he rest in peace.

This was beautiful. Hubs is one of those JCFD that DC Stewart trained and worked alongside. He was so well respected in the JCFD and beyond. He will be missed by so many. Thanks for sharing.

RIP Kevin Stewart, my condolences to his family plus all that knew and cared for Kevin

I was saddened on Thursday when I heard of Stewarto's passing. He was a fraternity brother of mine. Anytime I've thought of him over the last 15 years, it revolved around the work he did at Ground Zero. Though he never complained, I know he had health problems from breathing in that toxic air. I will never forget his sacrifice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT