ADVERTISEMENT

OT: After 13 Seasons, 1,154 Games and 4,494 Plate Appearances.......

colbert17

Heisman Winner
Aug 30, 2014
Bangkok, Thailand
... the nearly 34 year old Drew Maggi finally makes it to the major leagues. You have to love a guy like this who stuck to his dream all of these years. Seeing his mom in tears makes you think about all that the family went through to reach this day. I wish there was a story book ending to this but there isn't. On the first pitch he hit a loud foul but he ended up striking out.
Congratulations kid. You made it.

Last edited:
Good for Drew, no matter if only a bried time playing in majors, his dream did come true
This time he did get to bat/
Last call up in 2021 the Twins had him on their roster for two days and sent him back to the minors without getting in any games

Now just 10 more years in the bigs and he can collect his pension. Seriously though really happy he made it up.

Silly me. I misread the heading and thought the last was posts appearances, and that either Knightshift, Dr. Worm or White Bus had retired. When all is said and done, Maggi had at least one MLB plate appearance which is one more then most of us.

Reactions: JCin128
What a feel good story... the guy persevered more than most guys would. He got to live his dream; hopefully it lasts a bit longer for him.

When Baltimore and Minnesota came to talk to my mother she laughed when they told her how much minor league ball players make and what the odds are of making it and apparently this guy never got that advice and is probably going to get relegated to some s***** job when this is over. He should have quit a long time ago and gotten an education or a start on a career.

Cool story but the sad reality is many don't get that one night in the light and fade away broke

When Baltimore and Minnesota came to talk to my mother she laughed when they told her how much minor league ball players make and what the odds are of making it and apparently this guy never got that advice and is probably going to get relegated to some s***** job when this is over. He should have quit a long time ago and gotten an education or a start on a career.

Cool story but the sad reality is many don't get that one night in the light and fade away broke
In a sea of bad posts, thus one is one of your worst.

guy just got 2 hits- he now has a legit MLB line to show his kids and grandkids. AB 6 R 1 H 2 RBI 1 .333 BA

But, I do get 95's point.

Though, Maggi should be very close to being able to get his degree at Arizona St if he doesnt have it yet- he play ball there for 4 years.
Another way to look at it in the new world. So many kids (lol) don't get serious about their real careers until into their 30's now anyway. And he will have a "story" to at least get him in the door somewhere. But, there are thousands of players that hang on like this and never get that shot and just fade away into life.

guy just got 2 hits- he now has a legit MLB line to show his kids and grandkids. AB 6 R 1 H 2 RBI 1 .333 BA

But, I do get 95's point.

Though, Maggi should be very close to being able to get his degree at Arizona St if he doesnt have it yet- he play ball there for 4 years.
Another way to look at it in the new world. So many kids (lol) don't get serious about their real careers until into their 30's now anyway. And he will have a "story" to at least get him in the door somewhere. But, there are thousands of players that hang on like this and never get that shot and just fade away into life.
Or, you could look at it like this....he's not building towards some end result in life. He's living. In fact, unlike 99% of the world, he's livivng his dream. When he's too old to play, he'll decide what's next. But for now, there doesn't have to be more. This is probably the happiest he could possibly be at this stage in his life. Why discount that for some theoretical future that we don't even know he wants?

Reactions: RU at the shore
Or, you could look at it like this....he's not building towards some end result in life. He's living. In fact, unlike 99% of the world, he's livivng his dream. When he's too old to play, he'll decide what's next. But for now, there doesn't have to be more. This is probably the happiest he could possibly be at this stage in his life. Why discount that for some theoretical future that we don't even know he wants?
I have no problem with that. It is more of a concern with some guys that goes through this at 18k per year and yes, they may love it for 10 years and then give up on their final dream, have great memories but feel unfulfilled and have a hard time moving forward.

What a story with no name Pirates in first place

And arguably their best player still out a while.

Also they have three top tier prospects in the minors. One of them, the catcher Henry Davis, is ripping up double A.

I'm sure Maggi values your life and career advice, particularly since you were never in his shoes. Meanwhile, he got not play the game he loved.

Reactions: redking
I'm sure Maggi values your life and career advice, particularly since you were never in his shoes. Meanwhile, he got not play the game he loved.
Maggi might use his sudden fame to get a few money making opportunities .
With the publicity he's receiving I wouldn't be surprised if we will soon be seeing his face pitching products.

As for his years in minor leagues, can't say if he would have been up the creek because of years in minors when it comes to getting a good paying job when he hits the job market .
But can't say that he didn't make some connections along the way that he could use for employment opportunities after his playing days were over.

Maggi might use his sudden fame to get a few money making opportunities .
With the publicity he's receiving I wouldn't be surprised if we will soon be seeing his face pitching products.

As for his years in minor leagues, can't say if he would have been up the creek because of years in minors when it comes to getting a good paying job when he hits the job market .
But can't say that he didn't make some connections along the way that he could use for employment opportunities after his playing days were over.
And who knows, there might be a manager’s job opening up in Azeliah next season.🙂

Reactions: mikebal9
And who knows, there might be a manager’s job opening up in Azeliah next season.🙂
He has to start somewhere and if all goes well , see him move from there to manage the New York Knights and prove he's the next Casey Stengel
While finding opportunities pitching products on TV because of his sudden fame that everyone know his name and "cheers" for his success

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT