ADVERTISEMENT

RU loses to St Johns

MADHAT1

Hall of Famer
Apr 1, 2003
loss SJU 65 > RU 39
let the bashing begin and the way this season has been ( so far),complaining is about all there will be when talking about the games , until the team starts being more competitive.

No bashing just the stark reality that we will probably not win another game all year

Over/under on reaching 1,000 now? She is 68 and is going to need to coach well into her 70's to reach it considering how they play. This season is a wash now and was paramount to reaching it, imo.

Cali, not sure how you calculate the #'s. I believe she is about 27 wins shy of 1,000. I don't think she needs to coach "well into her 70's". I could be wrong though.
On another note, I am glad to see you and others post over on this board. JMHO, but it is good to see others opinions even if I don't totally agree with them.

Cali is correct she is going to win at best 1 or 2 more games this year and will need at least 3 more years to reach 1000 wins so not well into her 70's but into her 70's. I hope this women isn't so stubborn and realizes its time to go and to not hurt this program anymore. Everyone is all excited about the transfers next year. Well the year after we have nothing again as we graduate 5 next year. Same cycle we have been going through for a while now

We all know that college sports is basically a business or we would not be paying salaries in 7 figures to the coaches. Although I hope Stringer can make the 1,000 game plateau, should RU have to bare the brunt of seasons like this for her to get there?

Move along nothing to see here..more blowouts to lesser schools
SJU - a lesser school? You keep telling us they passed us by years ago along with SHU, and others. You wanted Kim B-E to come here. We understand this will be a horrific year. She will be here beyond this year. Live with it. PH understands the situation and has made the decision. Move along.

Reactions: Scarletwoman
No bashing just the stark reality that we will probably not win another game all year
Right :thumbsdown:
But thanks, last time that was said RU had only 1 win and it became 2 shortly after that BS was posted. If a win comes soon after this garbage : I'm be posting poo poo like this myself after a loss [cheers]

SJU - a lesser school? You keep telling us they passed us by years ago along with SHU, and others. You wanted Kim B-E to come here. We understand this will be a horrific year. She will be here beyond this year. Live with it. PH understands the situation and has made the decision. Move along.

oh so now they have passed us by...point is RU used to be a top 25 program....programwise its not a top 50 program...and its attendance is probably no longer in the top 50 or even 60...talking actual not the inflated number

what is the end game for the CVS supporters...do you see a NCAA run..lmao

How is St Johns? Did anyone see the game and can comment on how we played?

Short term its readily clear that Stringer reaching 1000 wins has more importance than moving forward with a coaching change.It will take at least 3 seasons to win 28 games based on the few wins expected this season.

Short term its readily clear that Stringer reaching 1000 wins has more importance than moving forward with a coaching change.It will take at least 3 seasons to win 28 games based on the few wins expected this season.
If the talent that isn't playing is as good as some advertise - and I have no idea - with Scaife back and with the returners - there is an outside possibility that she could get to 1000 next year. I'm not optimistic, sadly. Teams have not been performing as well as they could for the last few years, I suspect last year's issue was chemistry and a lack of leadership, but what do I know. This year, even lacking a "star", I am surprised we cannot do better against lower level teams.

How is St Johns? Did anyone see the game and can comment on how we played?
St Johns is a slightly above average D-1 team. They have decent height and very good shooters. Their leading scorer against us went 6-7 from 3 (even with hands in her face). They shot a lot more free throws than we did - they shot 27 fts to our 3 over the first 3 quarters.

We played poorly (typical of our performance this year-we shot very badly). We were 1-17 in the second quarter and had 20 turnovers for the game. As CVS mentioned in her press conference after Monday's game, we have no one who takes the ball into the paint. Kandiss had done this in previous games but not last night.

Surprisingly we did out rebound them. Desiree Keeling is probably the most improved player on the team. She had 9 rebounds but shot terribly last night (she had been shooting much better I. Previous games). Last night Freshman Jordan Wallace showed some spark finishing with 8 points and 8 boards in 19 minutes.

How this helps.

Losing Tyler this year is obviously a major lose. I predicted last year we would finish just below .500 this year and the following year would be much worse.

Hopefully CVS or Hobbs will do the right thing for everyone and the program and not allow IMO at best the just below .500 record next year.

Knight time..I always appreciate optimism, but there is no outside chance at all that CVS will come close to reaching 1000 by next year.

As I stated in my last post, CVS's winning records in recent years and the over blown NIT championship were due to her under utilization of having excellent talent right up to last year.

This year was the first season since maybe her first year at RU that CVS has not had a lot of talent on paper and you see what the result is. Give Geno this same time and I guarantee we would be above .500 right now
now.

This has become such a sad affair. We get the Home News. I remember when they would do a big article on game day. Now you don't even see a small article every post game.

Teams have not been performing as well as they could for the last few years, I suspect last year's issue was chemistry and a lack of leadership, but what do I know. This year, even lacking a "star", I am surprised we cannot do better against lower level teams.

In addition to the reasons you gave for the problems last year, I believe having all new assistant coaches and the illness and death of Vivian's mother contributed to the teams' lack of focus and cohesion. Last year, the talent was there and the team underperformed. This year it isn't just the lack of a star, but also a group of young players that haven't played together as a team before and the lack of a team leader. They are also pretty undersized. That was very noticeable to me against Duke.

In addition to the reasons you gave for the problems last year, I believe having all new assistant coaches and the illness and death of Vivian's mother contributed to the teams' lack of focus and cohesion. Last year, the talent was there and the team underperformed. This year it isn't just the lack of a star, but also a group of young players that haven't played together as a team before and the lack of a team leader. They are also pretty undersized. That was very noticeable to me against Duke.

Every reason for this bad season you stated (except CVS's Mom) is the responsibility of a good coach to deal w. A 30 plus loss to a winless Princeton can not be blamed on these reasons.

I do not want to talk about CVS's Mom's passing, but wasn't that last year.

She is a happy soul right now.

Losing Tyler this year is obviously a major lose. I predicted last year we would finish just below .500 this year and the following year would be much worse.

Hopefully CVS or Hobbs will do the right thing for everyone and the program and not allow IMO at best the just below .500 record next year.

Knight time..I always appreciate optimism, but there is no outside chance at all that CVS will come close to reaching 1000 by next year.I

As I stated in my last post, CVS's winning records in recent years and the over blown NIT championship were due to her under utilization of having excellent talent right up to last year.

This year was the first season since maybe her first year at RU that CVS has not had a lot of talent on paper and you see what the result is. Give Geno this same time and I guarantee we would be above .500 right now
now.

This has become such a sad affair. We get the Home News. I remember when they would do a big article on game day. Now you don't even see a small article every post game.
I am assuming a slightly over .500 record next year and a few more wins this year - there are a couple very bad teams in the B1G that we could defeat if we show improvement. If we don't, we won't. As I said, it would still be unlikely - but I just want the entire affair over-with. I believe that other posters are correct and the decision is made. My biggest worry is that the folks not playing this year are not as good as some are advertising.

We all get that CVS is trailing off. If she wasn't a HOF coach or approaching 1000 wins - and had had the same record since 2007 as she has, I believe she would have been terminated. Not because it was or wasn't deserved, but because that is how it is done in sports. If the level drops, the coach is replaced. You can see it all the time, Oregon football is a good example. I accept the reasons why this hasn't happened, and root for her to have success, but I am tired of reading the constant posts complaining about the state of affairs. It is what it is.

Reactions: RUClassof67
Are the CVS supporters hanging on like a loose tooth just to see her get 1000 or do you care enough about the program to see it fall into the abyss.

Every reason for this bad season you stated (except CVS's Mom) is the responsibility of a good coach to deal w. A 30 plus loss to a winless Princeton can not be blamed on these reasons.

I do not want to talk about CVS's Mom's passing, but wasn't that last year.

She is a happy soul right now.

Yes her mom passed last year - which is what I stated were factors for the team underperforming last year. Dealing with an entirely new staff - which IMO she was forced to change by Julie and was not her choice - while dealing with her mother's illness caused her to not have the time or focus to supervise them properly and make sure everyone was on the same page. Don't forget the team also had to deal with the new staff - a staff that now knew less than some of them did about Vivian's methods. That is a recipe for chaos. She only has one new staff member this year, so I agree that is not an excuse for the performance of the team this season.

Reactions: dmd78
Are the CVS supporters hanging on like a loose tooth just to see her get 1000 or do you care enough about the program to see it fall into the abyss.
I am a CVS supporter. As such, I would "pass" if asked as a fan should she stay or should she go. I would not suggest she be kept just to get to 1000 wins, nor would I say that she "had to go". If I was the AD I would have more access to more information than I have as a fan, and would make the decision based on that information. I would not, even as a supporter, recommend simply keeping her to have her get 1000 wins - there has to be some idea that the team will be performing better.

Reactions: MADHAT1
There are no signs that this team will get better they may come clost to 500 next year but that is the max and they lose 5 girls next year and her recruiting going forward is awful so I would let her go as soon as this season is over

There are no signs that this team will get better they may come clost to 500 next year but that is the max and they lose 5 girls next year and her recruiting going forward is awful so I would let her go as soon as this season is over
We get it, you think that she should go. I'm [not] going to agree or disagree, but I've lost track of the number of times you've said this. You're by far not the only poster who is doing this, so I'm asking that all of you please review the Scarletnation.com message board rules, especially this one:

No repetitive negative posting. What makes a repetitive post? If you come to the forum and consistently say the exact same thing about the exact same topic day in and day out, that is being repetitive. Be sure to understand that no one is saying that you can not be critical. But this site will not be overrun by the same people coming on the site day after day saying the same negative things.

Last edited:
I am assuming a slightly over .500 record next year and a few more wins this year - there are a couple very bad teams in the B1G that we could defeat if we show improvement. If we don't, we won't. As I said, it would still be unlikely - but I just want the entire affair over-with. I believe that other posters are correct and the decision is made. My biggest worry is that the folks not playing this year are not as good as some are advertising.

We all get that CVS is trailing off. If she wasn't a HOF coach or approaching 1000 wins - and had had the same record since 2007 as she has, I believe she would have been terminated. Not because it was or wasn't deserved, but because that is how it is done in sports. If the level drops, the coach is replaced. You can see it all the time, Oregon football is a good example. I accept the reasons why this hasn't happened, and root for her to have success, but I am tired of reading the constant posts complaining about the state of affairs. It is what it is.

sorry Scarlett about thinking u were talking about this year. Go RU kick some spaceman butt today!!!

Over/under on reaching 1,000 now? She is 68 and is going to need to coach well into her 70's to reach it considering how they play. This season is a wash now and was paramount to reaching it, imo.

I was bashed incessantly last year for predicting that she wouldn't reach 1000 over the course of the next 2 seasons. It's a shame, it really is, but SHE SHOULD have retired then and now, instead, more and more and more and more programs pass us by and leave us in the dust. She's not even going to come close to 1000 by the end of next season. What a shame both for CVS, and the program, IMHO.

I was bashed incessantly last year for predicting that she wouldn't reach 1000 over the course of the next 2 seasons. It's a shame, it really is, but SHE SHOULD have retired then and now, instead, more and more and more and more programs pass us by and leave us in the dust. She's not even going to come close to 1000 by the end of next season. What a shame both for CVS, and the program, IMHO.
Please see my comment above regarding repetitive posts. thank you.

Reactions: suzebe

I know what you mean. I started that thread. It is amazing that a poster today stated that CVS will turn it around in 2 years. Can u imagine where our program would be if we give CVS 2+ more seasons!

Please see my comment above regarding repetitive posts. thank you.

You worry about repetitiveness - which I can understand sometimes - yet when people are attacked on this board, for speaking the truth about where the program currently stands, you let the attacker get away with it due to the fact that they're defending CVS. Not exactly fair, wouldn't you say?

Last edited:
You worry about repetitiveness - which I can understand sometimes - yet when people are attacked on this board, for speaking the truth about where the program currently stands, you let the attacker get away with it due to the fact that they're defending CVS. Not exactly fair, wouldn't you say?

DMD You will always be in my heart as a great RU fan and you have been the most important person in reference to this site flourishing. But AreyouNUTS has a point. You are not a blind CVS fan that greatly affects your administration of this site. But it does affect you a little bit. AreyouNUTS's post is an example.

But you still are the best and I am so glad I have been able to agree and disagree w u on our common love...The RU WBB team.

Can you please identify the thread where this happened? I can't comment unless I see it or it is reported. thanks

Not nearly as much as we have endured for MBB and FB.

And we have changed coaches -- frequently, in fact -- in men's basketball and football over the years, especially the former. So if you use that line to defend Stringer, think again.

And football makes money even when it's god-awful. Women's basketball loses money, mostly because of her contract.

And we have changed coaches -- frequently, in fact -- in men's basketball and football over the years, especially the former. So if you use that line to defend Stringer, think again.

And football makes money even when it's god-awful. Women's basketball loses money, mostly because of her contract.
Not Stringers salary causing loss, it’s most College WBB programs losing money
from Nov 12, 2013
financial numbers reported by the schools that have had the best attendance in women's basketball over the last four years

Revenue Expenses Net Revenue Contributions

Baylor

Connecticut $4,704,571 $6,037,412 ($1,332,841) $389,033
Iowa $761,941 $3,932,286 ($3,170,345) $181,941
Iowa St. $850,536.77 $2,823,446.78 ($1,972,910) $54,701
Kansas St. $294,215 $2,698,929 ($2,404,714) $31,188
Kentucky $616,135 $3,617,060 ($3,000,925) *
Louisville $959,351 $3,279,449 ($2,320,098) $193,074
LSU $571,004 $3,743,747 ($3,172,743) $168,856
Maryland $668,528 $2,904,054 ($2,235,526) $10,219
Michigan St. $876,379 $3,504,478 ($2,628,099) $234,002
Nebraska $908,656 $3,311,810 ($2,403,154) $50,959
New Mexico $754,080 $1,745,921 ($991,841) $55,057
Oklahoma $2,720,788 $4,962,681 ($2,241,893) $1,173,382
Penn St. $811,031 $2,700,022 ($1,888,991) $270,788
Purdue $924,154 $3,092,201 ($2,168,047) $402,060
Tennessee $4,538,252 $6,586,982 ($2,048,730) $1,079,926
Texas $1,582,747 $4,859,904 ($3,277,157) $512,907
Texas A&M $1,585,615.74 $4,831,244 ($3,245,628) $39,127
Texas Tech $2,220,464 $4,379,690 ($2,159,226) $1,264,750
Wisconsin $1,680,300 $3,280,275 ($1,599,975) $1,108,999
Baylor is a private university and not subject to Freedom of Information acts. Kentucky does not break down its contributions by sport. For the other programs listed above:Average revenue: $1,475,197
Average expenses: $3,280,275
Average net revenue: -$2,329,623

http://www.swishappeal.com/2013/11/12/5090384/ncaa-womens-college-basketball-profits-donations

And we have changed coaches -- frequently, in fact -- in men's basketball and football over the years, especially the former. So if you use that line to defend Stringer, think again..

And how has changing coaches (frequently as you state) worked?
At least in WBB I've had the excitement of playing in multiple NCAA tournaments and have enjoyed 2 Final Four experiences.
I won't count the WNIT championship year even though we deserved a NCAA bid that year at 22-9.

Reactions: MADHAT1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT