ADVERTISEMENT

RU/PSU Wrestling Preview

wngarbarini

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
May 4, 2006
Friday night PSU comes to twon off of a 22/15 loss to Ohio State.They have 8 ranked wrestlers out of 10 with their 165 pounder around #20. With Perrotti out of the lineup we reduce our chances of a win somewhat even though Alton is back in their lineup there. PSU has defeated Lehigh 24-10, Pitt 24-12, Clarion 44-0, Maryland 38-3, Virginia Tech 20-15 and Indiana 42-3. In addition they won the Southern Scuffle so they are clearly a top 5 team in the country even with the loss to OSU. We need some upsets at 125 and 133 ti have a chance of winning as well as better efforts at 197 and 285 against their top ranked Morgan McIntosh and Jimmy Lawson.

Line Up:

125 McCabe vs # 8 Jordan Conway
133 Delvecchio vs # 10 Jimmy Gulibon
141 Ashnault vs Kade Moss
149 Theobold vs #17 Zach Beitz (Van Brill upset him at the PSU Open) Big match here
157 Painton vs #8 Dylan Alton
165 Gravina vs Garett Hammond (another pivotal bout against a tough kid)
174 Backukas vs #4 Matt Brown (tough AA)
184 Hrymack vs #16 Matt McCutcheon
197 Campy vs # 4 Morgan McIntosh (upset by Snyder of OSU)
285 Smith vs #6 Jimmy Lawson

This could be a close match if we step up and wrestle our best or it could get ugly if we don't show up in some of the pivotal weight classes. This will be a good test of our ability to rebound.

Originally posted by wngarbarini:
Friday night PSU comes to twon off of a 22/15 loss to Ohio State.They have 8 ranked wrestlers out of 10 with their 165 pounder around #20. With Perrotti out of the lineup we reduce our chances of a win somewhat even though Alton is back in their lineup there. PSU has defeated Lehigh 24-10, Pitt 24-12, Clarion 44-0, Maryland 38-3, Virginia Tech 20-15 and Indiana 42-3. In addition they won the Southern Scuffle so they are clearly a top 5 team in the country even with the loss to OSU. We need some upsets at 125 and 133 ti have a chance of winning as well as better efforts at 197 and 285 against their top ranked Morgan McIntosh and Jimmy Lawson.

Line Up:

125 McCabe vs # 8 Jordan Conway
133 Delvecchio vs # 10 Jimmy Gulibon
141 Ashnault vs Kade Moss
149 Theobold vs #17 Zach Beitz (Van Brill upset him at the PSU Open) Big match here
157 Painton vs #8 Dylan Alton
165 Gravina vs Garett Hammond (another pivotal bout against a tough kid)
174 Backukas vs #4 Matt Brown (tough AA)
184 Hrymack vs #16 Matt McCutcheon
197 Campy vs # 4 Morgan McIntosh (upset by Snyder of OSU)
285 Smith vs #6 Jimmy Lawson

This could be a close match if we step up and wrestle our best or it could get ugly if we don't show up in some of the pivotal weight classes. This will be a good test of our ability to rebound.
Don't really see how it can be a close match, in all honesty.

PSU is a heavy favorite @ 125, 133, 157, 174, 184, 197 (I know Camp beat him 2 years ago, but a lot has changed and Camp is not in wrestling shape) and slight favorites @ 149 and Hvy.

This post was edited on 1/13 10:09 AM by belushijo

I said it could be closer if we get some upsets early and I realize they are favored in most of the others. I think Theo can beat Beitz and agree on Campy and Smith.

PSU is so deep. they have 5 guys redshirting, 2 AAs and 3 top 10 blue chip freshmen, and still RU is only going to be a clear favorite at 141. but I like Theobold's chances and Lawson, though built like the incredible hulk, is not unbeatable. If Smith is game i think he has a good chance at a nice very quality win. though he will have to have a different game plan than what he's been doing against top guys this season.

final score may not be pretty but if everyone wrestles as they are capable of this could be highly competitive dual.

match will be streamed on btn2go plus. with the sub you also get tOSU v Mich on Sunday, then also the RU v Wisc and RU v NW matches 3 weekends later (among others). pretty good deal for a month to month.

I am not expecting RU to win the match, to be honest don't expect the team score to be close. But I do expect to see our guys wrestle hard and not bee pushed around.

What I would like to see from RU guys.

125 - Don't be used as a takedown dummy (Iowa Match). McCabe has shown some toughness and would like to see that against the ranked guys. Keep the match close and don't give up a MD.

133 - Very easy I would like to see the Delvecchio that wrestled the 2nd and 3rd period against Zane Richards. If we get that this can be an entertaining match.

141 - Want to see Anthony come out and dominate from start to finish. When he is on bottom I want to see him explode out. Win with bonus points.

149 - This might be harsh but Theobold needs to win this match, nothing less out of him.

157 - With AP out I can't ask for too much from Painton. I guess toughness and don't get pushed around.

165 - Think we are catching Hammond at a bad time. Coming off 2 close losses to top 10 kids, can Gravina keep it close?

174 - PB has been wrestling tough and would like to see that again here. Don't expect a win but expect him to take no shit from Brown.

184 - Hate to say it but I kind of given up on this weight.

197 - Camp needs to step it up, certainly a tall task but show us something.

285 - This will give us a real look at where Billy is. Lawson is a scorer, 7 matches over 10 points this year (and one pin). Will Billy show up to wrestle. Mixed reviews after Minny match so here is his shot to redeem himself.

This post was edited on 1/13 1:07 PM by obrats

Ash- Theo- and some how Smith can get a W thats prob our best we can do. I can see Scotty D getting close at 133. He hung in there with Richards. I think Conway is on a whole another level so it will be very tough at 125. At 157-165-174 if we can keep it a dec thats a win. Camp stays within 5or 6 and shows some life late that would be a positive. Finally Smitty- all u guys have said it. If he wrestles like he is going up against a guy from Army. I feel good. If he wrestles like he knows he got a high ranked guy he is in big trouble. He needs to wrestle to win and not keep score close

If it wasn't for playing football at Montclair State, Lawson would be wrestling for us at HWT. I still remember celebrating when he committed to us to wrestle... Oh well.

Originally posted by Passe24:
Ash- Theo- and some how Smith can get a W thats prob our best we can do. I can see Scotty D getting close at 133. He hung in there with Richards. I think Conway is on a whole another level so it will be very tough at 125. At 157-165-174 if we can keep it a dec thats a win. Camp stays within 5or 6 and shows some life late that would be a positive. Finally Smitty- all u guys have said it. If he wrestles like he is going up against a guy from Army. I feel good. If he wrestles like he knows he got a high ranked guy he is in big trouble. He needs to wrestle to win and not keep score close

He needs to wrestle, period. $$$$

Lawson played football at Monmouth . Not sure of the reasons he picked PSU over RU at the time. I think we score 6or 7 points against PSU- Ash and Theo. Smith will either win by 1 or lose by 8. Loud big crowd might could Mot a surprise here or there. Brutal brutal stretch in the schedule.

that's right - it was Monmouth. I thought the reason why Lawson didn't come to Rutgers after his football is b/c Smith had taken that scholarship spot.

They were very close last year, so let's see who got better a year later. That'll tell us about our heavy wt coach vs PSU's heavy wt coach. Hope Smith comes out and surprises everyone.

Originally posted by RU93:
I also see only AA winning. It won't be pretty.
Agree but I would be content if each individual match is a brawl. Getting ridden and refusing to shoot is so dejecting to watch. I`d take major losses all night long if it meant our boys were getting caught being aggressive.

Originally posted by jreinsdorf:

Originally posted by RU93:
I also see only AA winning. It won't be pretty.
Agree but I would be content if each individual match is a brawl. Getting ridden and refusing to shoot is so dejecting to watch. I`d take major losses all night long if it meant our boys were getting caught being aggressive.
Me too! We got nothing to lose.

We are 125 people shy of our attendance record for tickets sold against Iowa the other night for the PSU match. Please try to spread the word to you friends and neighbors to show up, break the record and have the RAC rocking like it was the other night against Wisconsin in basketball.

NJcom had a good article today on Jimmy Lawson's journey from HS to Monmouth to football to State Pen. Sounds like RU was after him at least somewhat.

Go Billy, beat Jimmy ! lol

LINK

8,000. Yes Lawson committed to wrestle at RU but last minute decided to go to Monmouth for football.

Sadly I had to give my tickets away for the match (to a RU fan), but one of my best friends father passed away and services are tonight. Don't think I wont have my phone out checking for Josh's updates.

Originally posted by scarlet night:
Any reason I wouldn't be able to buy 3 tickets walking up? Print at home is a PIA for me

Posted from Rivals Mobile
Yes, you will be able to buy at the door. RAC holds 8,000, I am guessing 6,388...
cool.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Abro1975:
NJcom had a good article today on Jimmy Lawson's journey from HS to Monmouth to football to State Pen. Sounds like RU was after him at least somewhat.

Go Billy, beat Jimmy ! lol
Hated that NJcom article. They write stories about near misses for RU, but don't write many articles about NJ kids staying home and having success.

Originally posted by wngarbarini:
No way AP wrestles tonight unless he inhaled a miracle drug.
That's what I was thinking. Goodale mentioned he could be out a couple weeks when he last spoke publicly and it's only been about a week since then.

Originally posted by ScottRU93:
My sources tell me Gravina is out for the season. He reinsured his shoulder Iin practice.
For what its worth, I am hearing the same thing. Hearing Visicaro going tonight.

Shoulder problem seemed like it greatly affected Winston his last couple seasons of wrestling . Stinks.
Originally posted by belushijo:
Shoulder injuries in this port can be devastating.

Originally posted by Abro1975:
Shoulder problem seemed like it greatly affected Winston his last couple seasons of wrestling . Stinks.
Originally posted by belushijo:
Shoulder injuries in this port can be devastating.
Good Point.

If Darrion Caldwell never injured his shoulder rollerblading, its possible Kyle Dake would 'only' be a 3x'er. That would have been a great match.

Caldwell was never the same after that.

Both Alton's as well.

The transition to the B1G clearly has shown most of the Rutgers teams don't have the talent right now to successfully compete against the upper tier programs.Recruiting obviously must be improved but the reality is that elite programs have a way of sustaining themselves over time while lower tier programs have major obstacles to overcome.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT