ADVERTISEMENT

RU women's basketball recruiting news

Zippy Broughton (#24 ranking-Hoopgurlz), is announcing her decision today at 10am. She is down to Rutgers, Florida State and Kentucky!!

Hopefully she is going to be the first Rutgers commit for 2018 class. Stay tuned, should know in less than 1 hour of her decision.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
I did some digging and here is another player i discovered we are recruiting. Here name is Tyia Singleton, she is 6 foot 2 and out of the state of Florida. According to sources, she has 18 offers including one from Rutgers. If you click on the link below you can read an article written this year about her. Also, I found film on her to posted below.

Raoul‏@Raoul_000
WBB: Tyia Singleton, 6-2 F, Winter Haven HS (FL-2018), holds 18 D-I offers, including UVA, S. Carolina, UK, Rutgers http://www.newschief.com/sports/20170129/polk-players-discuss-girls-basketball-postseason…

C3bFKkSWIAA7SF9.jpg

5:50 AM - 30 Jan 2017

-ESPN Hoopgurlz bio: http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/225111/tyia-singleton

-Highlight video:

Reactions: MADHAT1
I did some digging and here is another player i discovered we are recruiting. Here name is Tyia Singleton, she is 6 foot 2 and out of the state of Florida. According to sources, she has 18 offers including one from Rutgers. If you click on the link below you can read an article written this year about her. Also, I found film on her to posted below.

Raoul‏@Raoul_000
WBB: Tyia Singleton, 6-2 F, Winter Haven HS (FL-2018), holds 18 D-I offers, including UVA, S. Carolina, UK, Rutgers http://www.newschief.com/sports/20170129/polk-players-discuss-girls-basketball-postseason…

C3bFKkSWIAA7SF9.jpg

-ESPN Hoopgurlz bio: http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/225111/tyia-singleton

-Highlight video:
Tyra announced today that she is going to Rutgers.

Raoul‏@Raoul_000

C3bFKkSWIAA7SF9.jpg

-Highlight video:
Tyia has chosen Rutgers.

Is there a source you can look to for committing players or is this a twitter thing?
Soccer has top drawer soccer, and has ncaa womens soccer commitment tracker which would hadve2018, 19, 2020
Anything like that

Last edited:
Reactions: kwrightnj
I must be dreaming. Wow. Hobbs is looking pretty smart giving CVS the extension!! Congrats to all!!!!
Exactly. Players are told to pick a school, not a coach, but everyone knows that's not what really happens. A recruit wants to know that the coach will still be there when she arrives on campus and, hopefully, when she graduates.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
Is there a source you can look to for committing players or is this a twitter thing?
Soccer has top drawer soccer, and has ncaa womens soccer commitment tracker which would hadve2018, 19, 2020
Anything like that
There are several sources including but not limited to ESPNW. I'll try to find some later for you.

We have a ton of transfers that sat out last year and are obviously contributing in some way this year because Stringer is playing all 14 each game.

How big are the contributions from those transfers relative to the recruits that came to RU directly from high school?
(Yes, I know having Tyler healthy is HUGE.)

I see we have 2 very good commits above from high school.

Are there any additional transfers on the roster sitting out this year? (None that I'm aware of.)

Was that a 1 time infusion of talent to get us back to competitive, and not necessary going forward, or should that be a good strategy to grab proven players to fill a handful of roles on the team?

Normally I'd say recruit great high school seniors so you can develop and have them for 4 years. Just wondering if the transfer route can/should be part of Stringer's strategy based on where she is with her career and her reputation as someone a transfer would want to play for. Maybe we can even get a grad transfer or 2?

Just something to discuss...

Keep winning!

"How big are the contributions from those transfers relative to the recruits that came to RU directly from high school?

Are there any additional transfers on the roster sitting out this year? (None that I'm aware of.)

Was that a 1 time infusion of talent to get us back to competitive, and not necessary going forward, or should that be a good strategy to grab proven players to fill a handful of roles on the team?"

There is currently one transfer on our roster that is sitting out this season - Arella Guirantes, a 5'11" guard from Texas Tech. She transferred to RU after her freshman season and is a player we originally recruited out of high school.

I think the transfers are contributing a little more than the new freshman - Carey and Fitzpatrick are starting, but not much more. Mack and Giles are both playing well and so far, neither is really playing like the typical freshman.

Going forward, I think transfers are going to be part of the strategy for many teams, including RU. When you see someone like Geno adopting that at UConn - he has Stevens and Camara this year and had Butler last season (who then transferred out ) - it appears it is the wave of the future. We have two signed freshman for next season plus Arella and will lose four players to graduation. I would not be surprised to see another transfer on our roster next year as we will have one scholarship available (if none of the underclassmen decides to transfer out).

"How big are the contributions from those transfers relative to the recruits that came to RU directly from high school?

Was that a 1 time infusion of talent to get us back to competitive, and not necessary going forward, or should that be a good strategy to grab proven players to fill a handful of roles on the team?"

There is currently one transfer on our roster that is sitting out this season - Arella Guirantes, a 5'11" guard from Texas Tech. She transferred to RU after her freshman season and is a player we originally recruited out of high school.

I think the transfers are contributing a little more than the new freshman - Carey and Fitzpatrick are starting, but not much more. Mack and Giles are both playing well and so far, neither is really playing like the typical freshman.

Going forward, I think transfers are going to be part of the strategy for many teams, including RU. When you see someone like Geno adopting that at UConn - he has Stevens and Camara this year and had Butler last season (who then transferred out ) - it appears it is the wave of the future. We have two signed freshman for next season plus Arella and will lose four players to graduation. I would not be surprised to see another transfer on our roster next year as we will have one scholarship available (if none of the underclassmen decides to transfer out).

Scarletbb,

I like what you are saying and agree with your observation of the team. I was talking with a DIV 1 assistant coach out of Tennessee and I told him that I believe Rutgers would also add another player to the roster via transfer. My bet is it will be a player who is currently at LSU, her name is Raven Farley from Elizabeth, N.J. (Queen of Peace HS). From what I understand, she is was recruited by Rutgers, but finally chose LSU in the end. Louisiana is a long way from New Jersey and players often get home sick!

Azana Baines is a 6-foot-1 junior (class of 2019) shooting guard for the Gloucester Catholic girls’ basketball team and is one of the highest profile players in the state and one of the most talented in recent South Jersey history

According to this article, she’s a silky smooth ball-handler, and with her height she can get to the basket at will during high school games. She’s also flashed an improved three-point shot, averaged 14.4 points last season and is approaching 1,000 for her career.

As of December 14, 2017 she has narrowed her top-15 schools to Rutgers, Temple, St. Johns, Penn State, Vanderbilt, Boston College, Virginia Tech, Michigan, Mississippi State, Miami, Wisconsin, Kentucky, West Virginia, Duke and Georgia Tech.

I believe C. Viv and crew can get her to sign with Rutgers, we are doing very well this season and I expect we will win the Big Ten title and make it the Elite 8 or possibly the final four.

This team is unlike any team I have ever seen at Rutgers over CVS tenure here, so much potential to be great and I believe they are going to do big things... its an exciting time to be a scarlet knight!

Go RU

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...ic-high-school-girls-basketball-20171214.html

I believe C. Viv and crew can get her to sign with Rutgers, we are doing very well this season and I expect we will win the Big Ten title and make it the Elite 8 or possibly the final four.

This team is unlike any team I have ever seen at Rutgers over CVS tenure here, so much potential to be great and I believe they are going to do big things... its an exciting time to be a scarlet knight!

Go RU

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...ic-high-school-girls-basketball-20171214.html

excited too but I'd tap the brake peddle a little there lol. (I'm thinking maybe 16 with a chance at Elite 8. Long way to go here...after all , we could be seeded for round two vs. UConn in Storrs again giving lol. o_O we know how the committee has historically treated RU.

Stupid link says You have reached your limit, and get a subscription. Never clicked for that paper in my life, so thanks for the quote Drayon! Class of 2019 is a long ways off, she is still a baby, and kids are known to change their minds about 100 times a day at this age. But, this is why it is so important that we do well now.

We have a ton of transfers that sat out last year and are obviously contributing in some way this year because Stringer is playing all 14 each game.

How big are the contributions from those transfers relative to the recruits that came to RU directly from high school?
(Yes, I know having Tyler healthy is HUGE.)

I see we have 2 very good commits above from high school.

Was that a 1 time infusion of talent to get us back to competitive, and not necessary going forward, or should that be a good strategy to grab proven players to fill a handful of roles on the team?

Normally I'd say recruit great high school seniors so you can develop and have them for 4 years. Just wondering if the transfer route can/should be part of Stringer's strategy based on where she is with her career and her reputation as someone a transfer would want to play for. Maybe we can even get a grad transfer or 2?

Just something to discuss...

Keep winning!
We have tremendous transfer sitting out. In TS league.

Coach Gibson said tonight at the huddle that RU only has one new player signed so far for next year - Zippy Broughton. I'm not sure what is going on with Tyra Singleton - another poster said that she had chosen RU. Does anyone know?

Coach Gibson said tonight at the huddle that RU only has one new player signed so far for next year - Zippy Broughton. I'm not sure what is going on with Tyra Singleton - another poster said that she had chosen RU. Does anyone know?

No there are two that signed with Rutgers, Zippy Broughton & Tyia "Slim" Singleton, I took this off the Rutgers women's basketball twitter page:

DPGqnvmW4AE_XWv.jpg

DOw7Qd4XcAE8HQd.jpg

Zippy Retweeted
Rutgers W.Basketball‏Verified account@RutgersWBB Nov 8
Welcome to R Family @Ovozippy. It's go time Scarlet Knights!
26ab.png
1f534.png
2694.png
1f6e1.png
1f534.png
26ab.png
#KN18GHTED

DOIPcxtWkAAXOCA.jpg

No there are two that signed with Rutgers, Zippy Broughton & Tyia "Slim" Singleton, I took this off the Rutgers women's basketball twitter page:

DPGqnvmW4AE_XWv.jpg

DOw7Qd4XcAE8HQd.jpg

Zippy Retweeted
Rutgers W.Basketball‏Verified account@RutgersWBB Nov 8
Welcome to R Family @Ovozippy. It's go time Scarlet Knights!
26ab.png
1f534.png
2694.png
1f6e1.png
1f534.png
26ab.png
#KN18GHTED

DOIPcxtWkAAXOCA.jpg
That is really bizarre. How could one of the Coaches not know this. Is there any chance that she didn't get accepted for admission to the university? I know we were supposed to have signed Jada Wright for this season and then she ended up at Trinity Valley CC.

Coach Stringer was at the No. 1 Franklin vs No. 3 Rutgers Prep game. See highschoolsports.nj.com. I think Diamond Miller from Franklin HS was at an RU game earlier this year.

Last edited:
Wow, even The Brenda was there. Since Franklin, and Rutgers Prep are basically in my backyard I should go be nosey, and take some notes. Have we ever had any girls from either of these schools?

Wow, even The Brenda was there. Since Franklin, and Rutgers Prep are basically in my backyard I should go be nosey, and take some notes. Have we ever had any girls from either of these schools?
Kristen somogyi went to prep. Im not sure about franklin

Scarletbb,

I like what you are saying and agree with your observation of the team. I was talking with a DIV 1 assistant coach out of Tennessee and I told him that I believe Rutgers would also add another player to the roster via transfer. My bet is it will be a player who is currently at LSU, her name is Raven Farley from Elizabeth, N.J. (Queen of Peace HS). From what I understand, she is was recruited by Rutgers, but finally chose LSU in the end. Louisiana is a long way from New Jersey and players often get home sick!

Doubtful that Raven would transfer back home after her boyfriend Naz Reid just signed with LSU & the primary reason he signed with LSU was because Raven also attends LSU.

Added some more info.

Date Time (ET) Matchup Network
Fri, Mar 30
11 a.m. Girls Semifinal #1
#4 Winter Haven (Fla.) vs. #1 Hamilton Heights (Tenn.) ESPNU
1 p.m. Girls Semifinal #2
#3 Central Valley (Wa.) vs. #2 Westlake (Ga.) ESPNU
Sat, Mar 31 10 a.m. Girls Championship ESPN2

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT