ADVERTISEMENT

RU Wrestlers head for NE Duals against Oklahoma, West Virginia and Buffalo

wngarbarini

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
May 4, 2006
Preview:

Against Oklahoma RU will have its hands full. The Okies have a 3-1 record defeating Baker 50-0, Shorter 34-6 and Oklahoma City 40-4 before dropping a 21-13 dual on Saturday to a tough Cornell. The Okies won the Brockport Open earlier. With Nick Gravina and Billy Smith out, the backups have to come through. It will be a good test of where we are against the # 19 ranked Okies.

125 Sean McCabe vs Ryan Milhof Fr (lost to Nashon Garrett 6-2 and Max Soria 3-1)
133 Scott Delvecchio vs Cody Brewer R-Jr (NCAA qualifier and Brockport Champ) NCAA AA
141 Anthony Ashnault vs Trae Blackwell Fr
149 Ken Theobold vs Dennis Dryden R-Jr or Tucker
157 Anthony Perrotti vs Justin DeJulius R-Jr (Brockport champ) NCAA qualifier
165 Ethan Orr vs Clark Glass (lost to Shanaman 4-1)
174 Phil Backukas vs Matt Reed R-So (lost to Pickett in OT)
184 Hayden Hrymack vs Greg Wilson So (Dean TF)
197 Ralph Normandia vs Brad Johnson R-So (lost to Owen Scott 6-5)
285 Wesley Bernard vs Ross larson (NCAA qualifier)

OU should be favored at 125, 133, 197 and 285. RU should be favored at 141, 149, 174 and 184 with 157 and 165 a tossup. Perrotti should be slightly favored on rankings and maybe Glass slightly favored over Orr. The 285 match could see a huge swing in points which would not have been the case with Smith in there. It would be nice to have Campy but he is not eligible yet until Jan 2.

West Virgina comes into this match not as strong as they have been in the past. They have a terrific new coach in the great Sammie Henson so watch that program take off. They lost their opening dual meet to Arizona State 19-13 and got a 5th place finish at the Navy Classic over the weekend. Michael Morales won the tourney and is a Jersey kid I believe. That should be a great match between Ashnault and him. Moisey got 3rd at 125, Scheffel got 4th and Dekrone and Smith got 5th.

Lineups:

125 McCabe vs Zeke Moisey Fr
133 Delvecchio vs Cory Stainbrook So
141 Ashnault vs Mike Morales Sr
149 Ken Theobold vs Jamess Dekrone R-So
157 Perrotti vs Roman Perryman Sr
167 Orr vs Tim Wheeling Jr
174 Backukas vs Ross Renzi Jr
184 Parfumi or Hrymack vs Bubba Scheffel Jr
197 Normandia vs Jake Smith So
285 Bernard vs Viscarrondo Jr

Buffalo is also experiencing a down year and competed in the NY State Championships yesterday. They are 3-1 on the year with wins over Campbell 46-6, Appalachian State 20-18 and Cumberland 50-0. They lost handily to Gardner Webb 32-7. They had a champion at Brockport with Max Soria winning at 125. Maybe we can have some reserves wrestle this last match.

Lineups:

125 McCabe or Patrick vs Max Soria
133 Delvecchio vs Sean Peacock
141 Ashnault vs Jason Estevez
149 Theobold or Hunt vs Justin Cooksey
157 Perrotti vs Alex Smythe or Rod Ndokaj
165 Orr or Visicaro vs Rod Ndokaj
174 Backukas vs Tyler Brill or Mohammed McBryde
184 Parfumi or Hrymack vs Austin Weigel or Brett Perry
197 Normandia vs Joe Ariola
285 Bernard vs Silvis

Hopefully we have a good day and show up to wrestle hard!

Great preview WNG...Oklahoma match should be tight...Your correct about Morales he's a former State Champ from Brick Memorial

Buffalo finished 4th at the NY States with Soria winning the title at 125. He is tough and 7-0 this year.

Ashnault will be looking to avenge his loss to Estevez (Buffalo) during the freestyle season.

Buffalo is really going to struggle this season. They have been banned from 2015 NCAA Tournament for the lowest APR in NCAA. HC Stutzman came over from Bloomsburg and is cleaning up the mess He had a very good recruiting class but is RS anybody good that still has a RS available. 125lb and 2x NCAA qualifier Soria already burned his RS. It won't be long before Buffalo is a very good program under Stutzman. I remember when SG started and had to deal with an APR mess.

Good call Belushi I forgot about that loss to Estevez from Livingston..
This post was edited on 11/24 6:46 PM by LetsGoRUwrestling

Oklahoma could wrestle Freshman Andrew Dixson at 197 and senior Zach Merrill at 285. Cody Brewer is ranked # 3 in the country at 133 and DiJulius is ranked #12/13 in the country. Ashnault has 3 tough bouts against all of the teams.

PS- in the Oklahoma match, I think 184 is a toss up at best between Hrymack and Wilson.

When are the weigh ins? I feel bad for the wrestlers having to watch what they eat on Thanksgiving Day, one of the best eating days of the year? Do they give the guys an allowance, weigh in late? Other?

Originally posted by Abro1975:

When are the weigh ins? I feel bad for the wrestlers having to watch what they eat on Thanksgiving Day, one of the best eating days of the year? Do they give the guys an allowance, weigh in late? Other?
No weight allowance. Weigh-ins are always 1 hour before start time(opens have a little flexibility). This being a dual meet event, I would think the 1 hour prior would apply.

I watched Mike Morales have some battles with hometown kid Jordan Beverly (who went to RU and stopped there). Morales won at districts, Beverly won at Regions, and Morales won at States. Crazy matches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT