ADVERTISEMENT

Rules Question: In the Iowa vs Wisconsin game, the announcers said you cannot advance a fumble to get a first down. MSU got one today. Why?

RCBeta79

Junior
Jun 7, 2013
Rules Question: In the Iowa vs Wisconsin game, the announcers said you cannot advance a fumble to get a first down. MSU got one today. Why?

I was confused by the call on 4th down. The ball was fumbled in the backfield on the exchange and then bounced forward where the QB recovered. The ref announced that it could only be advanced by the player who fumbled the ball and they brought the ball back a couple of yards but still a first down.
The ball was clearly fumbled in the backfield. Why wasn't it brought back to that point which would have resulted in a turnover on downs?

Edit: sorry. This was our game today in the first quarter

Last edited:
QB releasing ball on to the ground forward of his position.

Incomplete Pass, change my mind.

Reactions: bryanjints
At first I wondered the same thing but 1) the QB was the last one in control and it was a fumble, not a forward pass- but I like Screwed's thinking.
2) since it is a first down and I believe the same rule if inside the 20- only the player that fumbled can forward the ball.

It may be the single call the got right today.

Reactions: colbert17
There were 4-5 WTF calls going against Rutgers. They did all they could to help MSU. One thing MSU is a damn good team .Better than their record... meanwhile V Tech beats Wake Forest a very good ACC team…Think we softened up Wisconsin for Iowa .

Unintentional discharge
Angry Oh No GIF by CBC

I thought that the RB fumbled on the exchange in the backfield. I wonder if that's reviewable?
It was definitely on the exchange but I think the QB was going to keep it and teh RB never really had it.. meaning, either way, the Qb was the last to possess the ball. Maybe it should have counted as a botched forward "pass".. like a shovel pass.

Reactions: colbert17
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT