ADVERTISEMENT

Football Rutgers and Schiano agree to Contract Extension (6.25M/yr)!!!!!

I know but they have better long term prospects. Football is going to be the same mediocre bore for eternity, bad offense year after year.
What year is Pike in? We have a good shot at finishing last this year. I posted In another thread. We could go from last to first next year.

I am a big GS supporter and don’t love this move. First Greg had 4 more years. For any recruit he will be there for the entire period. Second, 6-6 is on track to original plan. Not above or below. One could argue with a better QB we could have done better but that’s not the case.

Also. A little disappointed in GS looking for more money given all the needs of the program. Wish he would have focused more on paying for great recruiters and coaches.

I don’t hate it but don’t love it either.

I am a big GS supporter and don’t love this move. First Greg had 4 more years. For any recruit he will be there for the entire period. Second, 6-6 is on track to original plan. Not above or below. One could argue with a better QB we could have done better but that’s not the case.

Also. A little disappointed in GS looking for more money given all the needs of the program. Wish he would have focused more on paying for great recruiters and coaches.

I don’t hate it but don’t love it either.
Believe top cords got $ too...

. I have never in my life met an athlete, that mentioned, or had thoughts - about a coaches contract length.
I have. Many of them.
Many, many years ago I was recruiting D1 athletes and the subject of coaches staying at a particular school, whether it be mine or another, came up on a number of occasions.

I have. Many of them.
Many, many years ago I was recruiting D1 athletes and the subject of coaches staying at a particular school, whether it be mine or another, came up on a number of occasions.
before the portal and NIL- that was one of the top questions. It may have changed now with the new crap

Giving a 6-6 coach an extension, is not stopping Fran out recruiting Greg. I have never in my life met an athlete, that mentioned, or had thoughts - about a coaches contract length.
And Maryland still owns us. Yikes

Too soon
edit to add:
Greg did great this year, but shown some flaws that kept the season from being better.
He has enough tome left on his contract for Hobbs to have waited till the 2024 season was over to talk extension.
Making sure 2024 was a winning year before extending Greg
An easy to make bonus added to Greg's 2024 salary could be from $1 mil up to $3 mil
so Greg could get the money extension gives him then talk years after the season.
No bowl, no extenuation .
6-6 no extension, but a nice bonus
7-5 only 2 years and extra mil plus chance for more based in record
8-5 give him 4 and $3 mil a year raise

Last edited:
I think it is a joke that Greg gets a $ 2.5 million dollar raise after going 6-6 and 18-28 since his return. This year he defeated Northwestern which was 1-11 the previous season with the one win over RU and they just fired their coach weeks before that opening game of the season. After that we defeated Temple which was horrible, Virginia Tech which was not good as well and Wagner which is like playing a d-3 school. So we get to 4-0 and finish only 3-6 in the BIG Ten and 6-6 overall after a 6-2 start. Steve Pikiell makes $ 2 million a year and he has won at least 10 games in the BIG Ten for four consecutive season. I believe Greg must have a winning record against Big Ten teams and a winning season before he gets any raise. Next fall he will have a cake schedule not playing Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State. That is taking the 3 toughest teams off the schedule. I feel he must step up and definitely go at least 5-4 against BIG Ten teams this coming season. He still had 4 years on his contract and I just don't think he needed to be extended to 2030. He is lifetime well under .500 for his coaching at RU. He has never won a championship and never defeated West Virginia or Miami when we were in the Big East. I just don't get this at all. He was already making a fortune and he is lucky RU took him back as a coach. He failed at Tampa Bay where the players didn't really like him and than he coached at Ohio State which is in the Top 5 in the country every year whether he was there are not. It is easier to coach a team that gets almost every player that they want. Greg has been given everything he wants at RU over the years and I think he should have done more. He claims he knows every high school in the state but he still is not making big strides in recruiting our in state athletes.

Why so angry? The only reason why we haven’t won anything big is because we don’t have enough talent. Schiano recruited 4 and 5 stars to Miami. He recruited 4 and 5 stars to OSU. He’s struggled to recruit the same caliber athlete to Rutgers. Why? Because this fanbase does not support a Championship Caliber program. We need a Fieldhouse built and increased NIL support. We do these two things and in time we will win Championships of our own.

To recruit the talent we need, we need a Fieldhouse and increased NIL support.

Good now the smart AD can ask GS to use his 1st new contract check to buy RU a QB on the open NIL market.
Why ? You don’t have the balls to tell him… 😜

I think it is a joke that Greg gets a $ 2.5 million dollar raise after going 6-6 and 18-28 since his return. This year he defeated Northwestern which was 1-11 the previous season with the one win over RU and they just fired their coach weeks before that opening game of the season. After that we defeated Temple which was horrible, Virginia Tech which was not good as well and Wagner which is like playing a d-3 school. So we get to 4-0 and finish only 3-6 in the BIG Ten and 6-6 overall after a 6-2 start. Steve Pikiell makes $ 2 million a year and he has won at least 10 games in the BIG Ten for four consecutive season. I believe Greg must have a winning record against Big Ten teams and a winning season before he gets any raise. Next fall he will have a cake schedule not playing Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State. That is taking the 3 toughest teams off the schedule. I feel he must step up and definitely go at least 5-4 against BIG Ten teams this coming season. He still had 4 years on his contract and I just don't think he needed to be extended to 2030. He is lifetime well under .500 for his coaching at RU. He has never won a championship and never defeated West Virginia or Miami when we were in the Big East. I just don't get this at all. He was already making a fortune and he is lucky RU took him back as a coach. He failed at Tampa Bay where the players didn't really like him and than he coached at Ohio State which is in the Top 5 in the country every year whether he was there are not. It is easier to coach a team that gets almost every player that they want. Greg has been given everything he wants at RU over the years and I think he should have done more. He claims he knows every high school in the state but he still is not making big strides in recruiting our in state athletes.
Have you told him to his face?😜

Fran can recruit we all know that but I when think back when Cuse fans raved about Babers and recruiting . We will still get our share…. Fran better win immediately or the shine will be off once again.

What year is Pike in? We have a good shot at finishing last this year. I posted In another thread. We could go from last to first next year.
He's already given us lots of thrills and headlines, which give reason for hope. Schiano has not.

For now but let's see what the future brings now that they no longer have the leading passer in B1G 10 history.
They just got a qb from the portal. He was a solid qb for NC State. Don’t know that he’ll be as good as TT though.

Last edited:
Reactions: colbert17
Expected and needed to retain Greg. I hate how high coaching salaries are, but it's a necessary evil.
Retain? Where was he going to go with 4 years left on his contract and nobody knocking on his door to coach at their school?
I'm more in line with @MADHAT1 's approach. See how he does next season, but offer him performance incentives in advance for the 2024 season.

Extending him out 7 more years from this season after 6-6 is over the top.
This is not saying I don't want him to stay. But the rules of negotiation are what is the other party's next best alternative. What was Greg's next best alternative currently?

Reactions: RW90 and bac2therac
Retain? Where was he going to go with 4 years left on his contract and nobody knocking on his door to coach at their school?
I'm more in line with @MADHAT1 's approach. See how he does next season, but offer him performance incentives in advance for the 2024 season.

Extending him out 7 more years from this season after 6-6 is over the top.
This is not saying I don't want him to stay. But the rules of negotiation are what is the other party's next best alternative. What was Greg's next best alternative currently?
Good Managers are proactive, and his compensation was well below market. I’ve never minded paying for quality talent. Ticket sales are up, concessions are up, parking is up. You can justify his increase solely based on the incremental revenue he has brought to the table. Most importantly, Big Ten distribution revenue is way up, thx to the newcomers. We can pay now or pay later.

We are still paying for hiring Kyle Flood, an error which was compounded by hiring Chris Ash. We thought we were getting a bargain. Between the two of them, our season ticket fanbase was nearly destroyed. Never again.

Schiano is too important to lose. No one can replicate the job he’s done. He’s got the right strategy for moving Rutgers forward, and is worth every penny.

Good Managers are proactive, and his compensation was well below market. I’ve never minded paying for quality talent. Ticket sales are up, concessions are up, parking is up. You can justify his increase solely based on the incremental revenue he has brought to the table. Most importantly, Big Ten distribution revenue is way up, thx to the newcomers. We can pay now or pay later.

We are still paying for hiring Kyle Flood, an error which was compounded by hiring Chris Ash. We thought we were getting a bargain. Between the two of them, our season ticket fanbase was nearly destroyed. Never again.

Schiano is too important to lose. No one can replicate the job he’s done. He’s got the right strategy for moving Rutgers forward, and is worth every penny.
You have numbers to back up? And not tickets given away

Ticket sales are up, concessions are up, parking is up.

Same for incremental revenue. Show us the money, not a bunch of feel good hoo ha. You got links?
Prefer to pay later when we see a consistent product. One mediocre year does not make a product or show a trend.

IDGAS about Flood and Ash. They have nothing to do with this any more. Nobody is suggesting we hire them or anyone else on the cheap. That dog won't hunt.

Too important to lose? Replicate 6-6 after 4 years and losing to Maryland badly 3 years in a row?
Right strategy on defense- sure. Special teams and offense are still open questions. That's 2/3 of the team that is a work in progress.

As noted, I like Greg and the job he is doing. Just not at a more than 50% raise and an additional 3 years for the current record and results on the field. He was NOT going to be plucked away from Rutgers. Facts.

You have numbers to back up? And not tickets given away

Same for incremental revenue. Show us the money, not a bunch of feel good hoo ha. You got links?
Prefer to pay later when we see a consistent product. One mediocre year does not make a product or show a trend.

IDGAS about Flood and Ash. They have nothing to do with this any more. Nobody is suggesting we hire them or anyone else on the cheap. That dog won't hunt.

Too important to lose? Replicate 6-6 after 4 years and losing to Maryland badly 3 years in a row?
Right strategy on defense- sure. Special teams and offense are still open questions. That's 2/3 of the team that is a work in progress.

As noted, I like Greg and the job he is doing. Just not at a more than 50% raise and an additional 3 years for the current record and results on the field. He was NOT going to be plucked away from Rutgers. Facts.
Season tickets went from 16,585 during the last year of Ash, to 19K this year, excluding Complementary tickets given this year. And we should see another solid increase for next year.

For ‘24, our media payout will be well above $70M, and could be as high as $80M - $100M

He was NOT going to be plucked away from Rutgers.
100% accurate.
I really like GS and the job he's done but Rutgers will be his last coaching job. His current overall record doesn't justify the real big teams going after him and he's not going to leave again. He's already learned that lesson. Barring some unforeseen scandal he's here to stay so the haters need to get use to it.

Season tickets went from 16,585 during the last year of Ash, to 19K this year, excluding Complementary tickets given this year. And we should see another solid increase for next year.

For ‘24, our media payout will be well above $70M, and could be as high as $80M - $100M

Assuming your season ticket numbers are correct, being generous, the additional 2,415 season tickets at $500/ticket (and that is VERY generous) equates to $1,207,500/year. So, Rutgers just overspent by $1M on Greg's salary , not including the added salaries for the coordinators. Brilliant!!!

Greg has absolutely nothing to do with the media deal and should not get any fringe benefits from that. The deal was done regardless who the coach was a struggling/middling B1G school like Rutgers.

As detailed elsewhere, including yourself, Rutgers wants to build a fieldhouse. Money is at premium. No need to squander it away foolishly the moment comes in. A penny saved is a penny earned. Haste makes waste. Save it for a rainy day. But not with athletics!!! Spend, spend, spend with reckless abandon.

It's sad that spending is not run prudently like a business. Instead, it's spent like politicians throw money at things and down ratholes with reckless abandon.

Reactions: RW90 and bac2therac
I like GS just fine, but this is just stupid. Four years left on the contract - what’s the need to tack on more and that salary is just ridiculous. Hobbs didn't want to hire the guy and now he's throwing money unnecessarily at him.

Unfortuntately that's not permissable. However, he did donate $250,000 towards a spinal cord treatment room at JFK Rehab Center in Edison named in Eric's honor and forewent a higher comp package in his prior contract to increase the pool of $$$ avaiable for the coaching staff he was putting together.

$250K Donation
Permissible by who?

hooray for mediocrity

If Schiano had the same NIL money that OSU and Michigan do, he would destroy them. He's a great coach doing a great job with very little NIL money. If you want a better record, then pony up.

Last edited:
I am not crazy about this but I recognize if u want to play big boy football you have to do this. I don’t see a joke on the field anymore and RU plays in the toughest conference in College. Yea I know the sec yada yada but 6-6 today is like 8-4 in Schiano 1.0 the schedule is light years tougher

Seems premature to me yet I am not at all surprised. I don’t buy the argument that he needs atleast 5 years on his deal to recruit effectively particularly in the current environment.

I tend to be conservative on these matters but this is just a continuation of the madness going on throughout the Industry.

I think we may be close to the GS ceiling but time will tell. 50/50 at best that this decision ages well.

Reactions: bac2therac
I like it. It says we are serious about football. Now GS really needs to deliver. He is no longer a value play.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT