ADVERTISEMENT

Football Rutgers and Schiano agree to Contract Extension (6.25M/yr)!!!!!

Good Managers are proactive, and his compensation was well below market. I’ve never minded paying for quality talent. Ticket sales are up, concessions are up, parking is up. You can justify his increase solely based on the incremental revenue he has brought to the table. Most importantly, Big Ten distribution revenue is way up, thx to the newcomers. We can pay now or pay later.

We are still paying for hiring Kyle Flood, an error which was compounded by hiring Chris Ash. We thought we were getting a bargain. Between the two of them, our season ticket fanbase was nearly destroyed. Never again.

Schiano is too important to lose. No one can replicate the job he’s done. He’s got the right strategy for moving Rutgers forward, and is worth every penny.
rutgersal you can try and explain the why it was done NOW to posters but that is fruitless Funny some claim a business sense….cough cough…it was done for all the reasons you list or others who are pro Schiano . The name of the game is perception and stability . We have many who detest Greg… just because he’s Greg. Other are obviously somewhat jealous of coaches being paid astronomical salaries. Still others hate or disagree just for the sake of. Sort of like “ John “ from South Brunswick . Now that was a Rutgers hater.

I guess everyone is forgetting that Schiano had a contract that guaranteed a field house be built in a certain number of years that has not been met thus violating terms of the contract & probably allowing him to be paid the full contract & leave

Reactions: rutgersal
I guess everyone is forgetting that Schiano had a contract that guaranteed a field house be built in a certain number of years that has not been met thus violating terms of the contract & probably allowing him to be paid the full contract & leave
I don't think there was any timetable put on it, just that earnest efforts would be made and it was a priority.

From the article:

And once Rutgers and Greg Schiano each gave a little on the issue to get a deal done, it has become one of the bigger questions following his return to the Scarlet Knights: How long will it take to build a new football-only facility - and potentially two of them - now that he is back as head coach?

There is no firm timetable, athletics director Pat Hobbs said after Wednesday’s introductory press conference, but he added Rutgers is not looking at a standing start on the matter.

Schiano also initially asked for a facilities out clause in his contract that would allow him to leave the job with no buyout penalty if Rutgers did not meet deadlines for beginning construction on a new football facility or a drop-dead move-in date. That was a non-starter for Rutgers and contributed to the original breakdown of talks. But when the deal was revived, the facilities compromise served as a microcosm for the concessions made in both camps to finalize the reunion.

Rutgers “acknowledges that a new football operations center and adjoining multi-sport indoor practice facility would be both necessary and desirable” in Schiano’s memorandum of agreement, and commits to obtaining renderings and cost projections for the project. The MOA then calls for Hobbs and Schiano to privately fundraise at least half of the projected cost, at which point “the university agrees it shall initiate the Board of Governors’ finance and facilities committee approvals process, included in which shall be the athletics department’s proposed strategy to fund the debt service on any remaining cost applicable to the aforementioned project.”

Translation: When Schiano raises the money - and based on how he has been received so far by well-heeled boosters, it may not take long - shovels will be in the ground soon after.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Assuming your season ticket numbers are correct, being generous, the additional 2,415 season tickets at $500/ticket (and that is VERY generous) equates to $1,207,500/year. So, Rutgers just overspent by $1M on Greg's salary , not including the added salaries for the coordinators. Brilliant!!!

Greg has absolutely nothing to do with the media deal and should not get any fringe benefits from that. The deal was done regardless who the coach was a struggling/middling B1G school like Rutgers.

As detailed elsewhere, including yourself, Rutgers wants to build a fieldhouse. Money is at premium. No need to squander it away foolishly the moment comes in. A penny saved is a penny earned. Haste makes waste. Save it for a rainy day. But not with athletics!!! Spend, spend, spend with reckless abandon.

It's sad that spending is not run prudently like a business. Instead, it's spent like politicians throw money at things and down ratholes with reckless abandon.
Then you have to add in increased parking revenue, increased concessions, and increased licensing. Plus season tickets will again increase this year and you have to consider increased walk up sales that occurred this year.

The media deal was just used to say we have the resources to pay our staff fairly. Schiano is receiving the market rate for a middle of the road Big Ten Coach, which is very fair.

We spent money prudently over our first 100+ years and football was a loss leader, which lost money mostly. Now football has a chance to be built into a cash cow, once consistent success is achieved. We can pay our staff fairly, build the needed facilities, and succeed.

I think most of us are not concerned about a raise- it is the timing of the extension. Is there any reason we could not have rewarded him for this year by giving him a raise for the remainder of his current contract(maybe up to the conference average) with the understanding that with a 2nd bowl in 2024 - he gets an extension.

Now- my take on Greg being here for the next 7 years and what he has done so far.

First- As most know- This was the year I was giving him to prove he has moved the team forward. In his first 3 years- he did mostly, what asked. Fix the program and get us back to respect. He did that- but my concern was that I did not see the program progressing. He had earned his money in those first 3 years but if I didn't see a noticeable forward step on the field, I felt we should move on.

2023- Not only does he continue to keep us moving forward as a program and perception- recruiting has also picked up and we are seeing some of our biggest players are staying here rather than leaving. It says something. And then, the team won every game it should have won. He won at least 2 more games then everyone expected. We were not embarrassed by Michigan, OSU. Greg brought in a HR hire with Coach Fitz. The product on the field became at least equal or near equal to half of the B1G.

He won me over this year.

Those who are now knocking "just 6-6" are so full of shit. We have had PSU/OSU/Mich on our schedule every year. We are not even close to equal to those programs, but neither are anyone else.

The extension was too soon- but I sort of look forward to see where this can bring us. I also hope that Rutgers will also play like a big boy going forward- other teams in the B1G have bought out contracts if a Coach is mediocre even shortly after extensions.

If Greg stops moving forward- we should not be afraid to make a change.

rutgersal you can try and explain the why it was done NOW to posters but that is fruitless Funny some claim a business sense….cough cough…it was done for all the reasons you list or others who are pro Schiano . The name of the game is perception and stability . We have many who detest Greg… just because he’s Greg. Other are obviously somewhat jealous of coaches being paid astronomical salaries. Still others hate or disagree just for the sake of. Sort of like “ John “ from South Brunswick . Now that was a Rutgers hater.
I do claim it's business sense. Is it smart business to pay for unknown results? Was it smart business for A&M to give out a 10 year deal (who knows the heck will happen next year let alone over 10 years) at 75M for Fisher and then "refresh" to 10 again after about 3 years and increase the salary to 9.5M. They're going to pay him 77M to go away. Is that whole ordeal, smart business? No way. The numbers are astronomical for A&M but the general gist is the same across CFB. IU just paid Tom Allen 15M to go away (luckily it wasn't 20) off two good years, not even one.

Paying long term, largely guaranteed or fully guaranteed contracts on unknown future results isn't smart business. Fisher got up to rank 5 for 1 year and still had 7 years left on his deal and A&M for some crazy reason decided to alter the contract. For what?

So many examples across CFB of boosting salary and length based on short term performance. It's not smart at all. This idea of perception and stability is bunk and just a facade to justify making a bad financial decision. Winning is what helps perception most. Paying coaches more for not really good reasons doesn't help anything. Spending money just to spend it, isn't good business.

Plus what do these contract boosts get the school. Quite often coaches can still leave if they want to, so what is the school getting. Elko and Smith are just two examples from this offseason. So if they're good they can still leave if they want but if things turn south you're stuck with cumbersome contract. Take on all the downside risk but not much of the upside.

Look at Miami giving Cristobal also a 10 year deal at 80M. He's 5-7 and 7-5 in 2 years back and lots of NIL to help. The guy didn't even know when to kneel the ball to easily win a game. He basically has to compete with FSU and Clemson in the ACC and that's it. Right now he's way overpriced. He's got a lot to accomplish to live up to that salary.

Throwing money at things doesn't suddenly make things better. If this was gov't there would be a lot of complaints but it's CFB so it's okay.

I don't have jealousy of the millions coaches earn. I don't blame them or their agents either, if someone is willing to give it to you why wouldn't you take it. I would. I'm about pay for performance. You can pay Nick Saban 20M/yr and I wouldn't bat an eyelash. Give big annual bonuses that raise the level of salary based on performance and wins. I'm fine with that. It's fair to both sides. If you're winning you get paid, possibly a lot if you win big, and if you're not you'll have some reasonable base salary which will still be millions of dollars.

Having money is a good thing, spending it is fine but using it wisely (especially when you have less) is the most important.

Last edited:
  • Love
Fran can recruit we all know that but I when think back when Cuse fans raved about Babers and recruiting . We will still get our share…. Fran better win immediately or the shine will be off once again.
With a favorable schedule in the bloated ACC, that's entirely possible. They didn't get the cream of the Pac-12 in Cal and Stanford, and SMU wasn't recruiting at a P conference level the last couple of years.

Brown can sell Syracuse and the ACC. let's see how the enhance playoff picture goes and if Syracuse has a chance of giving playoff access before we anoint him a real threat to us. At this point we should be able to see ourselves along with the chance to play B10 competition. AND -- NIL/transfer portal changes everything.

With a favorable schedule in the bloated ACC, that's entirely possible. They didn't get the cream of the Pac-12 in Cal and Stanford, and SMU wasn't recruiting at a P conference level the last couple of years.

Brown can sell Syracuse and the ACC. let's see how the enhance playoff picture goes and if Syracuse has a chance of giving playoff access before we anoint him a real threat to us. At this point we should be able to see ourselves along with the chance to play B10 competition. AND -- NIL/transfer portal changes everything.
I think he’s going to struggle on the field. He’s going to kill recruiting but the type of kid he’s going to get may be talented but might have a lot of other things on the mind then football. Culture is real. All the dudes he’s recruiting seem like they just wanna play for the homies. Why would a player like Fadil leave the SEC to play at Syracuse? I think our offer threw a monkey wrench in them plans cuz he ain’t leaving that visit uncommitted if Coach wants him. Trust me.

I do claim it's business sense. Is it smart business to pay for unknown results? Was it smart business for A&M to give out a 10 year deal (who knows the heck will happen next year let alone over 10 years) at 75M for Fisher and then "refresh" to 10 again after about 3 years and increase the salary to 9.5M. They're going to pay him 77M to go away. Is that whole ordeal, smart business? No way. The numbers are astronomical for A&M but the general gist is the same across CFB. IU just paid Tom Allen 15M to go away (luckily it wasn't 20) off two good years, not even one.

Paying long term, largely guaranteed or fully guaranteed contracts on unknown future results isn't smart business. Fisher got up to rank 5 for 1 year and still had 7 years left on his deal and A&M for some crazy reason decided to alter the contract. For what?

So many examples across CFB of boosting salary and length based on short term performance. It's not smart at all. This idea of perception and stability is bunk and just a facade to justify making a bad financial decision. Winning is what helps perception most. Paying coaches more for not really good reasons doesn't help anything. Spending money just to spend it, isn't good business.

Plus what do these contract boosts get the school. Quite often coaches can still leave if they want to, so what is the school getting. Elko and Smith are just two examples from this offseason. So if they're good they can still leave if they want but if things turn south you're stuck with cumbersome contract. Take on all the downside risk but not much of the upside.

Look at Miami giving Cristobal also a 10 year deal at 80M. He's 5-7 and 7-5 in 2 years back and lots of NIL to help. The guy didn't even know when to kneel the ball to easily win a game. He basically has to compete with FSU and Clemson in the ACC and that's it. Right now he's way overpriced. He's got a lot to accomplish to live up to that salary.

Throwing money at things doesn't suddenly make things better. If this was gov't there would be a lot of complaints but it's CFB so it's okay.

I don't have jealousy of the millions coaches earn. I don't blame them or their agents either, if someone is willing to give it to you why wouldn't you take it. I would. I'm about pay for performance. You can pay Nick Saban 20M/yr and I wouldn't bat an eyelash. Give big annual bonuses that raise the level of salary based on performance and wins. I'm fine with that. It's fair to both sides. If you're winning you get paid, possibly a lot if you win big, and if you're not you'll have some reasonable base salary which will still be millions of dollars.

Having money is a good thing, spending it is fine but using it wisely (especially when you have less) is the most important.
Your expectations are unrealistic for this market, and you are not understanding the value that Schiano and Cristobal bring to the table, which is recruiting. Both are far out recruiting their predecessors, but it will take time for both to see significant success. Christobal was making 4.4M at Oregon, so it took 3.6M / year to pry him away. Look at Miami’s recruiting classes and you will see that Mario is doing what he is paid to do. 13 4 ⭐️ and 2 5 ⭐️. Big success should come for Cristobal in year 5, if not sooner. Rutgers is further away and is building its WR and TE Corp, and plays in the Big Ten. So we should be competitive with everyone within two years. Schiano’s recruiting is better than what we’ve been able to get historically.

Good coaches aren’t going to wait around to be paid correctly. They’ll leave, if another opportunity comes along, such as when Cristobal left Oregon for Miami. Rutgers can’t afford to wait for the market to correct Schiano’s salary.

• Haha
Your expectations are unrealistic for this market, and you are not understanding the value that Schiano and Cristobal bring to the table, which is recruiting. Both are far out recruiting their predecessors, but it will take time for both to see significant success. Christobal was making 4.4M at Oregon, so it took 3.6M / year to pry him away. Look at Miami’s recruiting classes and you will see that Mario is doing what he is paid to do. 13 4 ⭐️ and 2 5 ⭐️. Big success should come for Cristobal in year 5, if not sooner. Rutgers is further away and is building its WR and TE Corp, and plays in the Big Ten. So we should be competitive with everyone within two years. Schiano’s recruiting is better than what we’ve been able to get historically.

Good coaches aren’t going to wait around to be paid correctly. They’ll leave, if another opportunity comes along, such as when Cristobal left Oregon for Miami. Rutgers can’t afford to wait for the market to correct Schiano’s salary.
Fisher recruited very well at A&M, even beat out Saban causing a little kerfuffle between them regarding NIL and buying off players. Lot of good that did him. Recruiting and money and all of it is just a means to an end and that’s winning. If you’re not doing that then spending tons of money or recruiting tons of stars is inconsequential.

Retain? Where was he going to go with 4 years left on his contract and nobody knocking on his door to coach at their school?
I'm more in line with @MADHAT1 's approach. See how he does next season, but offer him performance incentives in advance for the 2024 season.

Extending him out 7 more years from this season after 6-6 is over the top.
This is not saying I don't want him to stay. But the rules of negotiation are what is the other party's next best alternative. What was Greg's next best alternative currently?
How much did this extension contract cost you personally? People whine whenever they believe it is costing them $$$$. How much would it have cost for say another experienced HC ? And would that be better? At this point Rutgers AD made a logical decision . Greg had 3 years left on the original contract. All it did was re establish contract # 1 and bring his salary to middle of the B1G.

Fisher recruited very well at A&M, even beat out Saban causing a little kerfuffle between them regarding NIL and buying off players. Lot of good that did him. Recruiting and money and all of it is just a means to an end and that’s winning. If you’re not doing that then spending tons of money or recruiting tons of stars is inconsequential.
Every school is taking a risk. It’s not a guarantee. Some risks will work out, some won’t.

You seem to only want to pay coaches for past results, but that isn’t how the market works. Miami is paying Cristobal in anticipation for the winning that he will bring. Rutgers is doing the same for Schiano. LSU is doing the same for Brian Kelly, etc.

Reactions: RUBOB72

One thing I’m looking forward to is our first victory over a Miami team regardless of how many guys think otherwise. Perception will out way the talking heads who will certainly make excuses in a Rutgers victory. Oh and that includes some current Rutgers board posters.

I think he’s going to struggle on the field. He’s going to kill recruiting but the type of kid he’s going to get may be talented but might have a lot of other things on the mind then football. Culture is real. All the dudes he’s recruiting seem like they just wanna play for the homies. Why would a player like Fadil leave the SEC to play at Syracuse? I think our offer threw a monkey wrench in them plans cuz he ain’t leaving that visit uncommitted if Coach wants him. Trust me.
Actually I’m quite sure Greg Schiano is very happy and proud for Fran Brown . Another coaching tree guy who became a P5 HC. People tend to overlook that fact at Rutgers.

Every school is taking a risk. It’s not a guarantee. Some risks will work out, some won’t.

You seem to only want to pay coaches for past results, but that isn’t how the market works. Miami is paying Cristobal in anticipation for the winning that he will bring. Rutgers is doing the same for Schiano. LSU is doing the same for Brian Kelly, etc.
That's exactly how it should be. It's not like you're not paying them very well but to get to high level compensation, yes it should be based on performance not what you think or hope might happen.

Most coaches end up getting fired so why would you do anything but that knowing the success rate isn't great.

There are certainly qualified coaches that would take such great opportunities. Let some other school hold the bag if they want to be foolish with their resources.

I think people are discounting that this may have been connected to our undisclosed bagmen/bagwomen as per the other thread.

All of a sudden GS and assistants are signed up as every major playmaker returns (very rare in p5)....and as Dylan signs too...

The "big donors" are big fans of GS. They could have made this request and be financing it. And the guys coming back could have wanted it too.

Didn't mens basketball just beat Seton Hall?
UHQe.gif

You did not respond to a single point he made.
You just plugged your ears and sang your usual horseshit empty platitudes. Gave multiple examples. Artur was going to be the next Joe Burrow. Stanley King was going to be the shit. Could go on and on with you. If you called stock picks, I would short every pick of yours and make millions.

I think people are discounting that this may have been connected to our undisclosed bagmen/bagwomen as per the other thread.

All of a sudden GS and assistants are signed up as every major playmaker returns (very rare in p5)....and as Dylan signs too...

The "big donors" are big fans of GS. They could have made this request and be financing it. And the guys coming back could have wanted it too.
This may be the best and fairest take on the situation. Outstanding. If that is indeed the case, it is hard to argue with it.

raf,750x1000,075,t,fafafa:ca443f4786.jpg

Reactions: NotInRHouse
How much did this extension contract cost you personally? People whine whenever they believe it is costing them $$$$. How much would it have cost for say another experienced HC ? And would that be better? At this point Rutgers AD made a logical decision . Greg had 3 years left on the original contract. All it did was re establish contract # 1 and bring his salary to middle of the B1G.
First of all, you are wrong about what Greg had left on his contract. It was 4 years.
IDGAS what the middle of the B1G pays. He made and 8 year deal. He and his agent should have thought ahead to put a clause in his contract that he would be adjusted to be paid the mean/median of B1G football coaches.

Second, has nothing to do with paying for another experienced HC. Nothing. Greg was not going anywhere. So why bring up a red herring because that's all you have.

I never brought up it costing me money. Actually, it may have saved me money. Thinking about tapping out and being done with throwing money at this silly folly where mediocrity is rewarded, and the increased pay and years on the contract are not tied to results.

That's exactly how it should be. It's not like you're not paying them very well but to get to high level compensation, yes it should be based on performance not what you think or hope might happen.

Most coaches end up getting fired so why would you do anything but that knowing the success rate isn't great.

There are certainly qualified coaches that would take such great opportunities. Let some other school hold the bag if they want to be foolish with their resources.

First of all, you are wrong about what Greg had left on his contract. It was 4 years.
IDGAS what the middle of the B1G pays. He made and 8 year deal. He and his agent should have thought ahead to put a clause in his contract that he would be adjusted to be paid the mean/median of B1G football coaches.

Second, has nothing to do with paying for another experienced HC. Nothing. Greg was not going anywhere. So why bring up a red herring because that's all you have.

I never brought up it costing me money. Actually, it may have saved me money. Thinking about tapping out and being done with throwing money at this silly folly where mediocrity is rewarded, and the increased pay and years on the contract are not tied to results.
This 2023 is season 4… he originally signed a 7 year contract ( but apples and oranges) at 4 mil per year … so 4+ 3 = 7 … 4+4= 8 . No my point was Greg is here to stay … actually thought this was about Kirk C . Which it was . Ciarrocca wasn’t going anywhere but staying with Schiano. Hey , you just confirmed the “ costing me money” . I’m going to take my ball and go home. Go … Tell us big guy. You predicted a bowl game and a chance to be quite improved in 2023? Highly unlikely… have a nice sleep.

• Haha
This 2023 is season 4… he originally signed a 7 year contract ( but apples and oranges) at 4 mil per year … so 4+ 3 = 7 … 4+4= 8 . No my point was Greg is here to stay … actually thought this was about Kirk C . Which it was . Ciarrocca wasn’t going anywhere but staying with Schiano. Hey , you just confirmed the “ costing me money” . I’m going to take my ball and go home. Go … Tell us big guy. You predicted a bowl game and a chance to be quite improved in 2023? Highly unlikely… have a nice sleep.
You continue to be wrong old man. Go scream at a cloud or something or tell some young ones to get off your lawn.

There are a lot of reasons this was unnecessary, as mentioned no one seeking his services, no winning record yet 2nd go round, regularly being mauled by Locksey who makes less, still four years on this contract. As someone lukewarm on Schiano I find it a downer we are locked in for another 7 years. If we had beaten Miami and then went with the extension it would have looked a little better.

You continue to be wrong old man. Go scream at a cloud or something or tell some young ones to get off your lawn.
Listen … I have refrained from calling you names . You got my reply and what I said to you about Schiano sticks.You now go back on ignore . That is where you now will stay. 😁🤡🤫

Listen … I have refrained from calling you names . You got my reply and what I said to you about Schiano sticks.You now go back on ignore . That is where you now will stay. 😁🤡🤫
My heart is broken. I'll offer your a bowl of prunes as an olive branch. Your posts are full of assumptions about other people and posters and insults that are dead wrong, and you get offended when someone calls you to the carpet. Thin-skinned.
And no, "this" is actually going to save me a lot of money in the end. I'm laughing all the way to the bank. Sweet dreams.

Only at Rutgers do we pay a man more money who quite literally could not find equal employment anywhere else.. we continue to shoot ourselves in the foot at every turn.

It’s moves like this that ensure we will always be a throwaway program. What a horrible decision for Rutgers athletics.

My heart is broken. I'll offer your a bowl of prunes as an olive branch. Your posts are full of assumptions about other people and posters and insults that are dead wrong, and you get offended when someone calls you to the carpet. Thin-skinned.
And no, "this" is actually going to save me a lot of money in the end. I'm laughing all the way to the bank. Sweet dreams.
Still on your normal routine of calling anyone you disagree with a troll and using the ignore button as you’re gavel of power i see…🤣🤣🤣

Quite literally, is there another P5 program in the country that rewards a coach who finished the season 0-4 being outscored 126-46 with a raise and an extension? Name one other program so desperate for relevance they would agree to that? This is a pathetic extension. Asanine is a word that comes to mind…. Hobbs should have consulted the business school. You don’t give an extension and raise to a man who literally no one else wants…. Particularly when that man is still under contract for 4 years.

This will go down as one of the worst moves in program history. We just signed ourselves up for mediocrity at best further hampering our already broke program… what a shame, RIP to Rutgers football

Why so angry? The only reason why we haven’t won anything big is because we don’t have enough talent. Schiano recruited 4 and 5 stars to Miami. He recruited 4 and 5 stars to OSU. He’s struggled to recruit the same caliber athlete to Rutgers. Why? Because this fanbase does not support a Championship Caliber program. We need a Fieldhouse built and increased NIL support. We do these two things and in time we will win Championships of our own.

To recruit the talent we need, we need a Fieldhouse and increased NIL support.
Al, have you yet to address the quote from Mike Locksley that directly contradicts your delusion regarding the field house?

So while you continue to harp on about a field house, the head coach of Maryland states the direct opposite. So are you suggesting you are more qualified to speak on the current state of college football and player priorities than the current HC at Maryland?

Let’s see how you Dance around that one and inevitably move the goalposts to not have to directly answer the question

I’m sorry you’re ok with never beating Penn State and the next 7 years being nothing but endless ‘how do we fix the offense’ posts
If you are not ok with it, stroke a check for 1.5mm for the Org St QB. Another 1mm can give you 2 good WRs. Let’s be honest with ourselves. We are bring a knife to a gun fight when we are talking about OSU, Mich and PSU. My hope is that we have a really long knife and their gun jams once in a while. O wasn’t an issue for GS when we had all the players. Everyone thinks we can turn it around quickly with NIL but NIL only works if you have a sugar daddy. Is that you?

All the haters going to hate. 😀
To whom are you referring?
Very little hate, but instead reasoned debate regarding what some believe is the insanity of what college football coaches are paid, how their contracts are structured, and how universities and their ADs move in lockstep to propagate and expand the insanity because "everyone is doing it, why shouldn't we?". As usual @rutgersguy1 makes some excellent points, and he provides many examples where these scenarios do not work out so well.

In summary, the coach and the university signed an eight year contract that was perfectly acceptable in 2019 and would make that coach wealthier well beyond the top 1% of people in this country. This is for a state University, whose mission is EDUCATION. The parties could have put in clauses to adjust compensation, but they did not. So, with signs of some, but mediocre progress in a program that was extremely downtrodden, the University doubles down for another seven years and pay raise of more than 50%. While the details are not known, the contract probably has no provision if the program falters and goes backwards, and the University will be on the hook for more than $40 million should the program regress. All the while, the coach can leave on a whim if something better comes along. Great work if you can get it.

Yeah, haters are going to hate. Hate the game, not necessarily the individual "players" who play the Universities. Except for the guys at Michigan and Penn State.

You did not respond to a single point he made.
You just plugged your ears and sang your usual horseshit empty platitudes. Gave multiple examples. Artur was going to be the next Joe Burrow. Stanley King was going to be the shit. Could go on and on with you. If you called stock picks, I would short every pick of yours and make millions.

I’m not wasting my time, responding to his points, because the reason his ideas are impractical is due to the scarcity of successful college football coaches. The number of college football coaches who have succeeded at Rutgers = one.

He and you don’t understand the scarce skillset that Schiano brings to the table and the challenges this job brings. You seem to think other coaches could succeed at Rutgers, but you’re wrong. Some of you Shore guys think Al Golden is the answer and would like to see him as head coach.

Al Golden failed spectacularly at the University of Miami, because he didn’t properly monitor the players, to ensure they were doing the right thing. This is why they were smoked by Clemson, 58-0, and failed to fulfill expectations, which is why he was fired. Miami should never lose to Clemson by that margin, because they can recruit the 4 and 5 stars that schools like Rutgers cannot.

This job requires drill sergeant football coach and Schiano is perfect for the job, because human nature is to slack. Schiano makes sure kids in our program don’t slack.

These days our Rutgers players self monitor, because Schiano recruits players that are self motivated. Our National Championship culture is what makes Rutgers Football Successful. We may never win a National Championship, because we lack the support to recruit the caliber of talent needed to do so. We need a Fieldhouse and stronger NIL support to recruit the 4 and 5 stars needed.

But the players we do recruit will work hard enough to be the best they can be. And that’s all I can ask for.

Most years we should fall into the 5-8 win range, though we might turn in a clunker now and then. On the other hand, we may have the potential for a special season every and then as well.

The supply of coaches makes the market, not some poster on a messageboard spouting platitudes about how coaches should be compensated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT