ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers athletic director Pat Hobbs abruptly resigns

He’d have a special benefit package and might still be able to keep it after he retires. So contemplating his wife’s benefits doesn’t get us anywhere.
Health insurance benefits would be the least of his worries (plus he can presumably use his wife's). Otherwise their dual incomes can easily support an insurance premium which would be a drop in the bucket and then he would go on Medicare.

Reactions: patk89
Why would both spouses have their own insurance when working ? Wouldn’t it be cheaper for one to be on the others state insurance as a dependent. Usually the spouse that makes less money can get the premium cheaper
Not necessarily. Some employers only offer single and family coverage. And family coverage is usually more than 2x the cost for single coverage (and typically even more than that)

Explain why SL is holding the story. They never have before! But all of sudden they want to protect Rutgers😂😂😂 Funniest crap I've ever heard on this board!
yea I agree with you on the SL point, in case you misunderstood me.

Explain why SL is holding the story. They never have before! But all of sudden they want to protect Rutgers😂😂😂 Funniest crap I've ever heard on this board!
I never said they want to protect Rutgers, I merely stated it’s a possibility

Is it likely, no, but with all the speculation running rampant around this case, I wouldn’t roll anything out

The only thing I would rule out though is you attending more games, as a wee bit of rain tends to keep you away (from homecoming, no less) and you couldn’t be bothered to go to our first bowl game in a decade in the scary Bronx

One would think the minds at Rutgers and Hobbs camps would put out a statement refuting the Reddit rumors if they were unfounded. They have been silent.
If there is nothing there, there is nothing to refute. Totally disagree here, and I usually agree with you on a lot of stuff. Several months back, a prominent faculty member at Stanford who has a very popular podcast, Andrew Huberman, was the subject of a major hit piece by the New Yorker on his romantic life. He is not married. The hit piece was very strangely put together, and had anecdote from what seemed like a couple/few jilted ex-girlfriends. Twitter was abuzz for a short while. Unless I missed it, Huberman never responded or addressed the story. It went away where it should have been in the first place, to a non-story.

The Star Liar/NJ.com need to be very careful with any story involving the gymnastics coach, if one exists. I don't recall they picked up on the Reditt thread of the several ex-gymnasts who complained about her being a bad coach.

A few years ago, they did a glowing piece on the gymnastics coach and how her grandfather was a civil rights pioneer.

If there is nothing there, there is nothing to refute. Totally disagree here, and I usually agree with you on a lot of stuff. Several months back, a prominent faculty member at Stanford who has a very popular podcast, Andrew Huberman, was the subject of a major hit piece by the New Yorker on his romantic life. He is not married. The hit piece was very strangely put together, and had anecdote from what seemed like a couple/few jilted ex-girlfriends. Twitter was abuzz for a short while. Unless I missed it, Huberman never responded or addressed the story. It went away where it should have been in the first place, to a non-story.

The Star Liar/NJ.com need to be very careful with any story involving the gymnastics coach, if one exists. I don't recall they picked up on the Reditt thread of the several ex-gymnasts who complained about her being a bad coach.

A few years ago, they did a glowing piece on the gymnastics coach and how her grandfather was a civil rights pioneer.

Same here, with regard to there being no need to "refute" baseless rumors and with usually agreeing with Let'sgo.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Maybe I’m jaded, but I saw this kind of stuff happened a few years back down in the 850

A head coach’s wife and a prominent defensive coordinator we’re both separately accused of such misdeeds, and unfortunately, they turned out to be true, taking part and derailing what could have, and should have been, a historic run

That’s why I am a bit skeptical, and not in a good way, about the story

Again though, I hope it is not true, as a genuinely like Pat and appreciate everything he has done for the athletic department

Or it’s the greatest cover up in history. It goes all the way up to the top.
Yeah, eventually everything will come out

I think what we can all universally agree on though is that we appreciate what Pat has done for the athletic department and hope that none of this is remotely true, and most importantly, that he gets healthy and lives a long And happy life in his well earned retirement ears

Wasted 40 minutes reading this entire thread from soup to nuts, FFS is the guy out there laying pipe or not?
100% and all the pearl clutchers and virtue signalers can GFT. His excuse insults our intelligence. He makes it sound like he called from the doctor's office.

I alluded to what happened before the Reddit post went live. When it did, I still didn’t want to be the one on this board to explicitly say what happened (because I’m a Rutgers guy and it stinks), so I just directed people to the Reddit thread.

I guess my fault was being hesitant to explicitly say it and also for not directly exposing who I heard the info from. That’s on me I guess.
Could you please share the specific Reddit link again.

Not being part of the Rutgers community, I don't know all the players involved as you all do, and of course I have no clue what is going on here. But in my opinion, nothing I've read in this thread reflects badly on Rutgers University. People are people, and every school has 'em.

The guy did an amazing job, that's all I know...

Haven't seen you or anyone else providing any actual evidence of wrongdoing, just speculation about wrongdoing or even just that "things don't add up," which is almost as bad as rumor-mongering.
look up, "circumstantial evidence" or have mr. lawyer guy explain it to you. Being a science guy, that may be a foreign concept to you. No one except Gotmee claims to know of direct evidence, but the circumstantial evidence here is compelling.

At this point there is *no* evidence that there is "other stuff." So maybe you-- and others -- should postpone speculation until there is such evidence.
Maybe you should read my comments from the beginning and you’ll see that I wasn’t suggesting something did or didn’t happen. Someone suggested that if something happened it implied lying about the health issue and I said he could still have a health issue whether other stuff is true or not.

look up, "circumstantial evidence" or have mr. lawyer guy explain it to you. Being a science guy, that may be a foreign concept to you. No one except Gotmee claims to know of direct evidence, but the circumstantial evidence here is compelling.
Here’s all I know, if I were in the situation, and there was multiple rumors flying around that I had an affair, which is what led to me resigning, and I did not have an affair, and it was legitimately health related, I would have a press conference, denying any such allegations and questions for 10 hours if I needed to to clear my name

Again, I hope that Pat is taking care of himself health wise and hope none of this is true

Maybe you should read my comments from the beginning and you’ll see that I wasn’t suggesting something did or didn’t happen. Someone suggested that if something happened it implied lying about the health issue and I said he could still have a health issue whether other stuff is true or not.
What you say is true -- but its underlying premise is that the other stuff could be true. And I think that premise is so speculative and so lacking in support in evidence that you shouldn't be using it. By using it, you are (whether you intend so or not) helping to give credence to rumors that lack any present support.

Here’s all I know, if I were in the situation, and there was multiple rumors flying around that I had an affair, which is what led to me resigning, and I did not have an affair, and it was legitimately health related, I would have a press conference, denying any such allegations and questions for 10 hours if I needed to to clear my name

Again, I hope that Pat is taking care of himself health wise and hope none of this is true
The Ralph Nader task force way back when had a study in which it concluded that Senator X was the stupidest man in the Senate. He called a press conference to deny it, and the joke in Washington was that he had therefore confirmed it. When you rebut a story, you give it legs.

The Ralph Nader task force way back when had a study in which it concluded that Senator X was the stupidest man in the Senate. He called a press conference to deny it, and the joke in Washington was that he had therefore confirmed it. When you rebut a story, you give it legs.
**** that

I’m not having mine and my families name (s) dragged through the mud, because a bunch of idiots wanna run with something (and then, due to me staying quiet about it, it gains legs) if I am legitimately innocent

When Kobe committed adultery, and his press conference, he was adamant. He did not rape the girl, admitted his wrongdoing, but would not back down on the rape claim.

Additionally, when Rafael Palmero and Lance Armstrong had press conferences and lied about their misgivings, they were shown to be hypocrites and liars, which will all come out in due time

One of the best things I’ve heard is that the truth shall set you free

In this case, if he isn’t back innocent, I would have a press conference, addressing my health situation, thanking Rutgers for the time I’ve worked there and highlight the accomplishments, and also addressing and or taking questions about the rumors

Whats being speculated can be squashed immediately, rather than staying quiet, and letting people (and possibly, multiple publicstions) run with it

The key words are "upon retirement." If you continue to work after age 65, you do not need to be in Medicare Part B so long as you are covered by group life insurance.
Just for the sake of completeness: if you do stop working after age 65, you better get into Part B immediately or you may not be allowed to ever get into it.

Do Rutgers retirees spend more money for Part B than they did for state health insurance? Yes, because Rutgers takes out the premium from pre-tax dollars, and so the employee is not, in effect, paying tax on the premium. In addition, the Part B premium becomes higher at a higher income level.

What circumstanctial, non reddit, evidence??

Two additional thoughts:

1. The SL would bury the athletics department at the earliest opportunity, that will not change.

2. As a fellow redditor, that site is the biggest conglomeration of dumbasses on the planet and does not warrant a statement from the school.

**** that

I’m not having mine and my families name (s) dragged through the mud, because a bunch of idiots wanna run with something (and then, due to me staying quiet about it, it gains legs) if I am legitimately innocent

When Kobe committed adultery, and his press conference, he was adamant. He did not rape the girl, admitted his wrongdoing, but would not back down on the rape claim.

Additionally, when Rafael Palmero and Lance Armstrong had press conferences and lied about their misgivings, they were shown to be hypocrites and liars, which will all come out in due time

In this case, if he isn’t back innocent, I would have a press conference, addressing my health situation, thanking Rutgers for the time I’ve worked there and highlight the accomplishments, and also addressing and or taking questions about the rumors

Whats being speculated can be squashed immediately, rather than staying quiet, and letting people (and possibly, multiple publicstions) run with it
It depends on how credible the charge is. Most people think that John Kerry made a serious mistake by not combating the Swift Boat accusations. But in this situation, you're calling a press conference to deny rumors for which there is no evidence and thereby doing nothing but publicizing them.

Reactions: RUChoppin
100% and all the pearl clutchers and virtue signalers can GFT. His excuse insults our intelligence. He makes it sound like he called from the doctor's office.

Not sure what is funnier. Your constant mean girl act or the improper use of "virtue signaling"?

It depends on how credible the charge is. Most people think that John Kerry made a serious mistake by not combating the Swift Boat accusations. But in this situation, you're calling a press conference to deny rumors for which there is no evidence and thereby doing nothing but publicizing them.
We don’t know if there’s any evidence, again this is all speculation, but chances are if there’s a 13 page thread on the prominent Ruckers athletics message board addressing it, at the very least Hobbs has heard about it and in all likelihood, others in the athletic department have as well

This is just a message board thing, where there was no circumstantial evidence (which, unfortunately, in my opinion, there is), and they were just a few people running with us, then I agreed to your point, I would not even bother to address it

**** that

Anyone can post anything they want on Reddit and this message board with no consequence. Most people don’t even read either so there is no reason for him to refute it unless an actual news source reported it.

Anyone can post anything they want on Reddit and this message board with no consequence. Most people don’t even read either so there is no reason for him to refute it unless an actual news source reported it.
I agree, I’m just saying that if it is reached page 13 on our message board , in my experience with these things at the college level, there is likely some truth to it

Maybe it’s PTSD from things I’ve seen in the past, but typically when it reaches this point, and with radio silence from the perpetrator, it tends to have legs

We don’t know if there’s any evidence, again this is all speculation, but chances are if there’s a 13 page thread on the prominent Ruckers athletics message board addressing it, at the very least Hobbs has heard about it and in all likelihood, others in the athletic department have as well

This is just a message board thing, where there was no circumstantial evidence (which, unfortunately, in my opinion, there is), and they were just a few people running with us, then I agreed to your point, I would not even bother to address it

Press conference will not stop the rumors. People will twist to say he is lying no matter if he is or not. If anything more people will jump in on the conversation and whispers.

Rumors continue or surface again when more information comes in. They start to fade with ensuing news cycles.

But if they are not true, why give oxygen to the rumors? If he comes out and denies something that is not true, then at this point you are fueling the rumors and giving de facto Creedence to the rumors. If they are not true they will die on their own.

But if they are not true, why give oxygen to the rumors? If he comes out and denies something that is not true, then at this point you are fueling the rumors and giving de facto Creedence to the rumors. If they are not true they will die on their own.
You make a good point, I’m saying if it gains legs in different publications, etc., I would squash them

I’m innocent and people are slandering me, there is no way I’m gonna let it continue to happen

I agree, I’m just saying that if it is reached page 13 on our message board , in my experience with these things at the college level, there is likely some truth to it

Maybe it’s PTSD from things I’ve seen in the past, but typically when it reaches this point, and with radio silence from the perpetrator, it tends to have legs

There's only 1 or 2 posters in this thread who are saying it's a "fact" that he did something improper. A bunch are responding to them. There's a bunch of others who might suspect something but are waiting for more information. Ther's a side debate on Medicare rules. There's a group of other posters taking a neutral position and there are those just wishing him health. That's how you get to 13 pages on the same subject. Not unusual for a board that generally tends towards conflict discussions

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT