ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers athletic director Pat Hobbs abruptly resigns

Even if he was covering it up..who cares. He’s gone.

The damage would be if anyone still currently at Rutgers was involved in the cover up

If the perception (whether true or not) is that he used his position of power as our AD to sweep something bad under the rug, it would be a crummy look for Rutgers, the extent of which would be determined by how bad the act he was covering up for was. I’m not implying anything like this happened. At this point, best case scenario is it’s the gymnastics coach with those rumors floating around, Hobbs has heart stuff going on in the background, Star Ledger caught wind of the affair and started probing. He panicked and resigned (perhaps because his health actually isn’t good and he knew he isn’t physically up for the scrutiny that would accompany this). Chances are there’s nothing to the issue with the gymnastics teacher in terms of the gymnasts but Star Ledger would make a huge thing of that regardless.

I already told you the facts lol. They match the rumor. I know this because person X, who is someone that would know, told me. But, to you, unless I expose who person X is, you won’t believe me lol.

Hence the standstill we’re at. Not sure what you expect me to do man…
You know we can all see your previous posts? That’s not how you started.

Reactions: Knight Shift
If the perception (whether true or not) is that he used his position of power as our AD to sweep something bad under the rug, it would be a crummy look for Rutgers, the extent of which would be determined by how bad the act he was covering up for was. I’m not implying anything like this happened. At this point, best case scenario is it’s the gymnastics coach with those rumors floating around, Hobbs has heart stuff going on in the background, Star Ledger caught wind of the affair and started probing. He panicked and resigned (perhaps because his health actually isn’t good and he knew he isn’t physically up for the scrutiny that would accompany this). Chances are there’s nothing to the issue with the gymnastics teacher in terms of the gymnasts but Star Ledger would make a huge thing of that regardless.
Isn't "the best case scenario" that Hobbs is resigning solely for the health reason he gave? Why should we assume that there is misconduct here when (so far as I can tell) no one has presented any evidence to support that?

I already told you the facts lol. They match the rumor. I know this because person X, who is someone that would know, told me. But, to you, unless I expose who person X is, you won’t believe me lol.

Hence the standstill we’re at. Not sure what you expect me to do man…
Wait, wat? Facts are based on tge rumor because x matches x?

You may be on the inside but why are posted the dumbest shit ever.

I know tge facts! They are on Reddit! It is about X who I said is X but can’t tell you who X is

Again- you may have inside info but stfu in telling everyone to just to take you on your word when you have not given your word.,,

Wait, wat? Facts are based on tge rumor because x matches x?

You may be on the inside but why are posted the dumbest shit ever.

I know tge facts! They are on Reddit! It is about X who I said is X but can’t tell you who X is

Again- you may have inside info but stfu in telling everyone to just to take you on your word when you have not given your word.,,
I alluded to what happened before the Reddit post went live. When it did, I still didn’t want to be the one on this board to explicitly say what happened (because I’m a Rutgers guy and it stinks), so I just directed people to the Reddit thread.

I guess my fault was being hesitant to explicitly say it and also for not directly exposing who I heard the info from. That’s on me I guess.

Already hedging I see huh lol
Nope, I've been consistent. The only thing you have pointed to is a Reddit thread and your representation that you "know" something. You really only know something if you have tangible proof such as photos, texts, emails, etc, and not the rumor of a close friend of a friend, family member, etc. Spill what you've got, or else stop dragging this out. Because you started out badly with nothing, and have only pointed to a Reddit thread, which means nothing.

I alluded to what happened before the Reddit post went live. When it did, I still didn’t want to be the one on this board to explicitly say what happened (because I’m a Rutgers guy and it stinks), so I just directed people to the Reddit thread.

I guess my fault was being hesitant to explicitly say it and also for not directly exposing who I heard the info from. That’s on me I guess.
You shouldn’t partially lob a grenade. If you’re confident about info, come out with it instead of deflecting to Reddit. If you’re not confident enough to do that, you shouldn’t have posted innuendo in the first place. It’s that simple. If the info is solid it’ll come out eventually and be confirmed.

Nope, I've been consistent. The only thing you have pointed to is a Reddit thread and your representation that you "know" something. You really only know something if you have tangible proof such as photos, texts, emails, etc, and not the rumor of a close friend of a friend, family member, etc. Spill what you've got, or else stop dragging this out. Because you started out badly with nothing, and have only pointed to a Reddit thread, which means nothing.
Yes you’ve been consistently wrong in your attack of me.

Let me ask you a question. Hypothetically if my mom was the head of accounting for Enron just prior to the scandal breaking and told me they were cooking the books. Would I then have direct knowledge of the situation or would that be a “rumor from a family member”?

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
You shouldn’t partially lob a grenade. If you’re confident about info, come out with it instead of deflecting to Reddit. If you’re not confident enough to do that, you shouldn’t have posted innuendo in the first place. It’s that simple. If the info is solid it’ll come out eventually and be confirmed.
Fair. Point of nuance here, though… I was never unconfident in the info, I was unconfident in my desire to explicitly share it.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
Fair. Point of nuance here, though… I was never unconfident in the info, I was unconfident in my desire to explicitly share it.
But you’re missing my point then. Don’t put it out there and just let it play out. I do think your intentions were in the right place but you couldn’t resist the urge to get attention on social.

But you’re missing my point then. Don’t put it out there and just let it play out. I do think your intentions were in the right place but you couldn’t resist the urge to get attention on social.
I agree that’s also partially fair.

But this is a message board forum. Isn’t this exactly where we talk about things like this? I guess we have different interpretations of what this space is for.

Yes you’ve been consistently wrong in your attack of me.

Let me ask you a question. Hypothetically if my mom was the head of accounting for Enron just prior to the scandal breaking and told me they were cooking the books. Would I then have direct knowledge of the situation or would that be a “rumor from a family member”?
You like to play the victim. I have not attacked you except for one reference to the anatomy of a horse, which you unwittingly teed up. I have questioned you and asked for more information. You have been very elusive, vague and defensive, which only further fuels people questioning what you have "Got," GotEmm.

To answer your question, that all depends. Maybe in her opinion, things were off and she thought they were cooking the books. Maybe in the professional opinion of the CEO and/or Board, they thought they were not. It would be an opinion from a family member that may or may not be correct.

As I have said, have seen these situation based on rumor and innuendo rarely play out as the rumors intimated. They are either completely wrong, misinterpreted, or off base. But once in a while, they turn out to be correct. That's why many others who have not attacked you have asked you to put your cards on the table. And if you were not willing to put your cards on the table, then perhaps you should not have shared what you know.

He says he didn’t learn from Reddit. He’s confirming it.

If you don’t believe him without more meat, that’s not his problem. Take it or leave it.

Isn't "the best case scenario" that Hobbs is resigning solely for the health reason he gave? Why should we assume that there is misconduct here when (so far as I can tell) no one has presented any evidence to support that?
I guess you can’t assume but his abrupt resignation makes absolutely no sense. If he had a medical condition he would take paid leave until he could no longer work and retire. Sorry, but it’s extremely likely that something else is afoot here and it’s probably not good

You like to play the victim. I have not attacked you except for one reference to the anatomy of a horse, which you unwittingly teed up. I have questioned you and asked for more information. You have been very elusive, vague and defensive, which only further fuels people questioning what you have "Got," GotEmm.

To answer your question, that all depends. Maybe in her opinion, things were off and she thought they were cooking the books. Maybe in the professional opinion of the CEO and/or Board, they thought they were not. It would be an opinion from a family member that may or may not be correct.

As I have said, have seen these situation based on rumor and innuendo rarely play out as the rumors intimated. They are either completely wrong, misinterpreted, or off base. But once in a while, they turn out to be correct. That's why many others who have not attacked you have asked you to put your cards on the table. And if you were not willing to put your cards on the table, then perhaps you should not have shared what you know.
Thought that would be a pretty black and white question lol. Nvm.

I agree that’s also partially fair.

But this is a message board forum. Isn’t this exactly where we talk about things like this? I guess we have different interpretations of what this space is for.
Possibly. But I think we can always challenge ourselves to raise the level of discussion on this board and avoid gossip and speculation. There are very smart people on this board many of whom are connected who choose not to share everything they hear. It’s not helpful in many cases and in most cases, it’s like a bad case of telephone which presents only partially correct info.

Possibly. But I think we can always challenge ourselves to raise the level of discussion on this board and avoid gossip and speculation. There are very smart people on this board many of whom are connected who choose not to share everything they hear. It’s not helpful in many cases and in most cases, it’s like a bad case of telephone which presents only partially correct info.
I’m not speculating, but I’m fine with this take. You make a fair point! Appreciate you coming at this with a tempered perspective.

Who cares

So what you are saying is if no other facts come out, you still think he did something wrong and the truth is just concealed. Of course.
NO that’s not what I’m saying. I was simply replying to your specific post.
Im personally waiting to see what ends up being the actual issue. That being said, merely pointing out that IF something comes out re those rumors it still can be true that he has a health issue and isn’t lying about it to save face. Just we wouldn’t know if that health issue in of itself would have caused him to resign on its own.

NO that’s not what I’m saying. I was simply replying to your specific post.
Im personally waiting to see what ends up being the actual issue. That being said, merely pointing out that IF something comes out re those rumors it still can be true that he has a health issue and isn’t lying about it to save face. Just we wouldn’t know if that health issue in of itself would have caused him to resign on its own.
That was my point. If something is going to come out, why bother with the health angle?

I guess you can’t assume but his abrupt resignation makes absolutely no sense. If he had a medical condition he would take paid leave until he could no longer work and retire. Sorry, but it’s extremely likely that something else is afoot here and it’s probably not good
He may feel he's at the point *now* where he can no long work. That's what he says his doctors told him. Maybe he has enough loyalty to Rutgers not to want to exploit the school when he knows he will never be able to do his job again. Some people do have that much integrity. So I disagree that his resignation "makes absolutely no sense." Indeed, it's the right thing to do under the circumstances that he has disclosed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT