ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers athletic director Pat Hobbs abruptly resigns

This is getting very strange. Why give the health reason if not true?
Can’t answer that. Don’t know. Hobbs pre-emptive damage control of some sort ?

Also inexplicable that Holloway would cite Hobbs’ health reasons if he knew this wasn’t the actual reason. Probably lawyer-advised reasons.

Still no ‘thank you and best wishes’ messaging from RU and it seems to me the silence is deafening, as they say. Why no press conference adorned with RU imaging ?

And he could have coasted through to a future retirement date collecting a lot more salary and benefits.

Hobbs may indeed have health concerns but Shelby’s read of the tea leaves suggests the sudden retirement means something unwholesome had been going on forcing this departure immediately.

You went from betting it was an affair to now attesting it's a fact.
I tried to be more subtle near the beginning (again, I didn’t want this news to come out), but then things started leaking elsewhere so figured I could be more clear since it was clearly going to come out anyway.

You’re insufferable.

Last edited:
And he could have coasted through to a future retirement date collecting a lot more salary and benefits.

Hobbs may indeed have health concerns but Shelby’s read of the tea leaves suggests the sudden retirement means something unwholesome had been going on forcing this departure immediately.
That sounds like a scummy thing you would do.

That sounds like a scummy thing you would do.
What do you mean ? Coast to a future retirement date still being paid ? That’s how it’s commonly done.

Anyhow, yes, if this only about health issues the logical ‘retirement’ process is as was stated. Health issues in white collar jobs which require immediate retirement, meaning they are sudden and potentially devastating and were previously unknown, are quite difficult to envision.

Can you explain the money thing? I’m going to guess you will post a meme and try to move on because you can’t. Just like @lakejj

eddie murphy GIF

My goodness lol. I’m telling you that I know the “rumors” on Reddit ARE FACT. Check the time stamps in this thread of when I’ve alluded to this. They PROCEED those posts on Reddit. What don’t you get? If you can’t understand what I’m saying here you’re truly helpless.
If the “rumors” are fact..then why not just spill them here. No harm if you’re telling the truth, what happened?

This thread makes me feel embarrassed that I spend time on this site. Why would anyone feel the need to opine in this situation?
Some folks drive right by a car wreck with eyes forward unfazed. Others slow down to a crawl and eagerly look for details of the incident.

Why would that make sense? If he knew the story was coming out, why bother making up this health issue?
Maybe he legitimately has a heart/health issues that he was going to ignore on their own but because of this other alleged thing it’s a way to get out and try to be under the radar moving forward.

Reactions: sct1111
Maybe he legitimately has a heart/health issues that he was going to ignore on their own but because of this other alleged thing it’s a way to get out and try to be under the radar moving forward.
And/or the high stress job amplified by a scandal probably isn't great for someone with a heart condition.

If the “rumors” are fact..then why not just spill them here. No harm if you’re telling the truth, what happened?
he stated the rumor and said it was posted in reddit like a fact , but the source that I see was someone posting the Star Ledger was going to publish and article about an affair and implied Hobbs retired when the Star Leger gave Rutgers a heads up.
Sounds to me like a seen it on the internet so it must be true type of proof.

Reactions: Knight Shift
This thread makes me feel embarrassed that I spend time on this site. Why would anyone feel the need to opine in this situation?
Really ? This is very significant and relevant to the athletics program which we all care about.

Much more important and relevant than what Joe Paterno knew, a topic that consumed this board for years. How many posts about his statue for crying out loud ?

Much more important to real RU supporters than 95% of other Rutgers sports topics.

Reactions: RULying
Maybe he was a Russian spy and using the AD job as a cover. And Rutgers intercepted an encoded message to Putin that originated from Hobb's shoe phone.

Reactions: retired711
he stated the rumor and said it was posted in reddit like a fact , but the source that I see was someone posting the Star Ledger was going to publish and article about an affair and implied Hobbs retired when the Star Leger gave Rutgers a heads up.
Sounds to me like a seen it on the internet so it must be true type of proof.
I did not see it on the internet, and, again, my allusions to it in this thread proceed ANY mention on Reddit. But I’m done trying to convince you. Believe me or don’t.

I heard he was banging the women's gymnastics coach and that she/he was covering up what a lousy job she was doing.

If that's the case then he's an idiot and a scumbag. It's all over Reddit.

Link below, and yes, Greg thanked the B1G Commissioner, President Holloway, and the BOG.

Here it is, transcribed from YouTube:

"I really feel especially appreciative for commissioner petiti the job he's done in a year he and his staff is just tremendous so
Tony thank you for for everything and I'd be remiss if I didn't thank our president Jonathan Holloway um between Jonathan and our Board of Governors I've never felt like Rutgers the university the football program have ever been more vertically aligned and that's what it takes make no mistake about it from the top to the bottom everyone has to have the same vision and I feel like we do part of the greatest conference in in college athletics and uh excited we have three three great players here today . . . . "

To answer your question about his omission of Pat, perhaps it was an oversight.

Thanks for posting the language.

You don’t really believe the part about it possibly being an oversight do you? This is Schiano we’re talking about. It’s not in his DNA to just forget something like that in a speech. We don’t know the reason (and maybe we never will), but he almost certainly did it on purpose.

I rarely agree with Shelby but it is also odd that the university hasn’t come out with a thank you statement or announced a ceremony to honor Hobbs. Maybe that’s coming, but enough hours have gone by now that it’s getting weird.

Lot of smoke about this

It’s a Friday drop, plus the university, coaches, Pat and the alledged person of interest also haven’t come out and said anything, either in support, gratitude or denial

Really hoping it’s all rumors, but there a lot of strange aspects to this

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT