ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers athletic director Pat Hobbs abruptly resigns

People are calling you out as an ahole because you seem to be relishing in the hope for a scandal. Constantly pointing out the possibility of a scandal only defines you as someone that doesn't have the best interests of RU at heart. You'd rather be right and spew negatives than shut up and be positve.
Bro… I’ve said MULTIPLE times I’m upset about the news. There’s a reason I’ve been hesitant to just come out and say it (I’ve also expressed that hesitation). It’s not the possibility of a scandal. It’s a fact.

I went to Rutgers. I LOVE Rutgers. There’s a reason I’m on this board. I freakin love it. Trust me. There’s nothing I want less than this. It gives me a pit in my stomach. I’m simply suggesting people prepare mentally for that to happen as opposed to being blindsided by it.

Reactions: MrsScrew
I haven’t either. I’m trying to locate the one referenced in this string to listen to it. I’m assuming what was stated by multiple posters on this omission is accurate. If so, it’s near certain that Schiano did it on purpose.

It doesn’t have to be a sinister reason, but everything Greg does is calculated - it’d be naive to even entertain the possibility that it was an oversight. Could certainly just be that Pat had gone MIA for a while with respect to some of his responsibilities to RU and after being called out on it finally let on about major medical issues. Maybe Pat dropped the ball on something that impacted Greg (we know he has a tendency to get “cranky” and without knowing the facts at the time of the presser - something like that could certainly explain the omission). Clearly this is speculation. I just don’t think Greg would accidently omit a shout out to his AD (direct boss).

Pat is a good guy. What Stringer did to the girls program was torture for him. I don’t think he’d want to do the same. If this issue isn’t likely to go away, I believe it’s possible he might decide to just cut ties. He wouldn’t take a leave of absence knowing that he could never return. Pat doesn’t roll that way.
Link below, and yes, Greg thanked the B1G Commissioner, President Holloway, and the BOG.

Here it is, transcribed from YouTube:

"I really feel especially appreciative for commissioner petiti the job he's done in a year he and his staff is just tremendous so
Tony thank you for for everything and I'd be remiss if I didn't thank our president Jonathan Holloway um between Jonathan and our Board of Governors I've never felt like Rutgers the university the football program have ever been more vertically aligned and that's what it takes make no mistake about it from the top to the bottom everyone has to have the same vision and I feel like we do part of the greatest conference in in college athletics and uh excited we have three three great players here today . . . . "

To answer your question about his omission of Pat, perhaps it was an oversight. Perhaps he covered it in the top to bottom remark.

Regardless, I've made it clear that perhaps we should wait for more information to come out before speculating. Some people are not like that. But I live by a couple of simple rules on social media and in life: The first is to think about how your actions and words are going to affect another person as they would affect someone close to you, such as a family member. The second, is to not engage in idle speculation. I have seen too many times what idle speculation, shit-talking, etc can do to people, reputations and relationships.

And should something bad come out later, I'm not walking back anything I said here. It does not erase all of the good things Pat Hobbs did for Rutgers. That's how I roll, and others roll differently. Sadly, some will revel in being right or celebrating some sort of bad news. As I said above, I'm comfortable in my choices and actions.

Well I went to Reddit and if what is being speculated there turns out to be true the SIGHTF! Based on the astute observations of the lack of “Accolades” rolling in from official sources brace for major incoming!

It's in the nj.com story, which is mentioned in the second post of this thread. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because I know you to be a good poster, but some of our fellow posters need to be publicly flogged for rumor-mongering.
Appreciate that but articles are updated as information comes out. It was about 45 minutes later when the health stuff was mentioned otherwise I would have never said a word. This is why I later apologized once it did come out.

Knight Shift - I think people are questioning the official version of events because it doesn’t seem to add up, not because people are looking to kick Hobbs while he’s down.

Here’s Politis take:

Here comes our old friend Politi. Guy’s looking for a story.

Reactions: eddynyse

Bro… I’ve said MULTIPLE times I’m upset about the news. There’s a reason I’ve been hesitant to just come out and say it (I’ve also expressed that hesitation). It’s not the possibility of a scandal. It’s a fact.

I went to Rutgers. I LOVE Rutgers. There’s a reason I’m on this board. I freakin love it. Trust me. There’s nothing I want less than this. It gives me a pit in my stomach. I’m simply suggesting people prepare mentally for that to happen as opposed to being blindsided by it.
GotEmmm- no worries. There was a time when some people thought the world was flat. Sadly some of their offspring post on this board. If you truly know something factual, stick to your guns. You’re on to something.

“Blind faith in your leaders or anything will get you killed “.

• Love
Reactions: GotEmmm
Link below, and yes, Greg thanked the B1G Commissioner, President Holloway, and the BOG.

Here it is, transcribed from YouTube:

"I really feel especially appreciative for commissioner petiti the job he's done in a year he and his staff is just tremendous so
Tony thank you for for everything and I'd be remiss if I didn't thank our president Jonathan Holloway um between Jonathan and our Board of Governors I've never felt like Rutgers the university the football program have ever been more vertically aligned and that's what it takes make no mistake about it from the top to the bottom everyone has to have the same vision and I feel like we do part of the greatest conference in in college athletics and uh excited we have three three great players here today . . . . "

To answer your question about his omission of Pat, perhaps it was an oversight. Perhaps he covered it in the top to bottom remark.

Regardless, I've made it clear that perhaps we should wait for more information to come out before speculating. Some people are not like that. But I live by a couple of simple rules on social media and in life: The first is to think about how your actions and words are going to affect another person as they would affect someone close to you, such as a family member. The second, is to not engage in idle speculation. I have seen too many times what idle speculation, shit-talking, etc can do to people, reputations and relationships.

And should something bad come out later, I'm not walking back anything I said here. It does not erase all of the good things Pat Hobbs did for Rutgers. That's how I roll, and others roll differently. Sadly, some will revel in being right or celebrating some sort of bad news. As I said above, I'm comfortable in my choices and actions.

KS - he also at the very beginning, 30 seconds in, mentions Pernetti. Mentioning Pernetti but not Hobbs is some oversight at big ten media day.

Since you replied to my first message, where I mentioned I found it odd at the time when Hobbs wasn’t mentioned by Schiano, to ask if I think I look stupid now, maybe you are talking about me as well. I’ve never speculated as to what has happened, just that this doesn’t add up. I have no idea what happened.

Reactions: bob-loblaw
Maybe some of you didn't read the nj.com story cited by the OP. Let me give you the key quote:

"In a letter sent to Holloway, obtained by NJ Advance Media, Hobbs explained his reasoning for the decision:

'After meeting with my cardiac team this week and having just been apprised of the results of my latest round of testing, it is clear that I can not continue to serve as Athletic Director given the requirements of the position. I recognize this is not the ideal timeline to depart, however, other factors need to take precedence.'"

Plain and simple, this is a resignation for health reasons. It has nothing to do with baseless allegations of "shenanigans" or anything else. The guy is 64, old enough to have serious cardiac issues.

All of the HIPPA discussion is also irrelevant -- *he* is making the disclosure.
I truly hope it is only about medical issues and it can be corrected or managed and he lives a long healthy life. There are some peculiar issues with this though and if medical is being used as cover for another issue he wouldn't be the first to do it. I am taking your quote as verbatim, and the "other factors need to take precedence" leaves an opening if something later comes out. Using "other" rather than "health" or "medical" raises my antenna a little. Sorry for the shiny hat.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I truly hope it is only about medical issues and it can be corrected or managed and he lives a long healthy life. There are some peculiar issues with this though and if medical is being used as cover for another issue he wouldn't be the first to do it. I am taking your quote as verbatim, and the "other factors need to take precedence" leaves an opening if something later comes out. Using "other" rather than "health" or "medical" raises my antenna a little. Sorry for the shiny hat.
Pat is smart...and a lawyer. He is smart enough to know it is better to get out in front of something on "his Terms" then try to hang on for dear life. Right now I have read some disturbing stories on reddit which if true is going to result in lots of negative publicity for Rutgers. If the stories are true Pat is doing us a huge favor by getting out now. We shall see what unfolds over the next few weeks.

GotEmmm- no worries. There was a time when some people thought the world was flat. Sadly some of their offspring post on this board. If you truly know something factual, stick to your guns. You’re on to something.

“Blind faith in your leaders or anything will get you killed “.
Thanks brother! Do you know how to send a PM on here? Lol. Send me one if you do.

So now you're a psychologist preparing us for bad news. Lol .Unless you have direct , personal knowledge of " facts" you're just a guy projecting a train wreck. Worthless ,counterproductive energy towards RU . Silence is golden "bro".

So now you're a psychologist preparing us for bad news. Lol .Unless you have direct , personal knowledge of " facts" you're just a guy projecting a train wreck. Worthless ,counterproductive energy towards RU . Silence is golden "bro".
Umm, yeah I do have knowledge of the facts. Sorry you won’t believe me.

I just poked my head into reddit on this and big surprise- the "factual" comments about a scandal are no different from the same ones we are seeing in this thread. Couldn't find an article that was not an opinion piece and all the facts are coming from comments.
I also just did a google search about Hobbs and SHU and inappropriate and after 4 pages, gave up looking for a story.

So, unless it comes out that there is an investigation, I am just going to keep wishing him and his family the best. And hope there are also no teeth to anything other.

Why not link them or post them here then....or at the very least explain how you have obtained inside information? The only thing you've indicated so far is rumors on Redditt.

If you have knowledge of the facts- then I am sure a ton of others do as well. And if they are facts- stories would already be out there in the dozens

I am not saying you don't have facts but you are either someone very close to Hobbs or whoever the inappropriate behavior happened to.

I have no facts, but actions speak louder than words so let’s think about it this way:

Scenario 1. If it were a medical matter, what would the most likely and common retirement approach be?

Scenario 2. If it were an inappropriate behavior matter, what would the most likely and common retirement approach be ?

It doesn’t prove anything, but the immediate retirement seems the logical likely action in scenario 2.

Plus, why would Gotme lie about knowing facts the rest of us don’t ? Seems like solid ground for him.

Last edited:
If you have knowledge of the facts- then I am sure a ton of others do as well. And if they are facts- stories would already be out there in the dozens

I am not saying you don't have facts but you are either someone very close to Hobbs or whoever the inappropriate behavior happened to.
That’s why I’m confident this will come out sooner rather than later. Too many people already know. To be more clear for everyone (not necessarily you): what is being speculated in that Reddit thread is accurate to what happened.

Honestly, it has to be. She was a big part of the turnaround and knows the lay of the land (and who has the money). Things seem to be humming in the department and she would probably bring continuity to all the progress made.
I think she would be great here . She’s my number one choice

That’s why I’m confident this will come out sooner rather than later. Too many people already know. To be more clear for everyone (not necessarily you): what is being speculated in that Reddit thread is accurate to what happened.
What is the "this". Tell us your specific knowledge of fact or be silent. Referring to reddit speculation is BS. Why are you so cowardly to say what you know?? Until you do you're full of shyt.

This is all speculation at this point but I am hearing that the Star - Ledger is getting ready to publish a piece of a rumored extra marital affair. That’s all I have, don’t know if any of it is true but there is a lot of weirdness with how sudden this happened and the lack of accolades coming from “official” RU sources.

Got it. You can delete your response if desired. Looks like poopy now hitting the fan…

Last edited:
I hope this does not turn out to be like another recent university executive resigning suddenly for health reasons only for stuff to come out a few weeks later. https://www.cbsnews.com/miami/news/...ring-former-u-s-senators-staffers-and-travel/
If it does then Pat is doing us a favor. He’s getting out in front of it by resigning now. Hopefully it is for the reasons he stated but the groundswell of rumors is beginning to get momentum. If it turns out the rumors are true the fallout will be mitigated by the fact he has already resigned. We will see where all this leads right now all we have is the “official” reason and speculation as to the “real”
Reason. We all wait and see at this point.

I don’t see anything on Reddit that seems credible. Maybe Im not looking at the right place. Either way, I’m sure we’ll all find out soon enough.

This is all speculation at this point but I am hearing that the Star - Ledger is getting ready to publish a piece of a rumored extra marital affair. That’s all I have, don’t know if any of it is true but there is a lot of weirdness with how sudden this happened and the lack of accolades coming from “official” RU sources.

That’s the rumor.
Seems like the SL got wind of the affair . In other places like the Sec maybe influential people at a media site would sweep it under the rug and it would be handled behind closed doors. But the SL essentially wets themselves over this stuff. In this case un like the past the SL probably gave RU a couple days heads up. Hence why they started with and have not yet changed the headline . I have to imagine the entire dept was told it was coming which aligns with why it’s been radio silence for the health support.

Either way , Hobbs is an idiot for even allowing himself to get close to a situation like this.

That’s the rumor.
Seems like the SL got wind of the affair . In other places like the Sec maybe influential people at a media site would sweep it under the rug and it would be handled behind closed doors. But the SL essentially wets themselves over this stuff. In this case un like the past the SL probably gave RU a couple days heads up. Hence why they started with and have not yet changed the headline . I have to imagine the entire dept was told it was coming which aligns with why it’s been radio silence for the health support.

Either way , Hobbs is an idiot for even allowing himself to get close to a situation like this.
Make sure RU66 sees this post. He has trouble connecting two dots on his own, and this should make it pretty clear for him.

That’s the rumor.

Has Keith Sargent been seen lurking in our parking garages??

That’s the rumor.

The heart wants what the heart wants. The (little)head wants what the (little)head wants! LOL!

KS - he also at the very beginning, 30 seconds in, mentions Pernetti. Mentioning Pernetti but not Hobbs is some oversight at big ten media day.

Since you replied to my first message, where I mentioned I found it odd at the time when Hobbs wasn’t mentioned by Schiano, to ask if I think I look stupid now, maybe you are talking about me as well. I’ve never speculated as to what has happened, just that this doesn’t add up. I have no idea what happened.
You and @GotEmmm seem to worry too much about what others think of you. We all roll differently, but in my experience, seeking validation from others on social media and the internet is not healthy. Some seem to really enjoy celebrating "being right." That's great if that works for you.

If I wanted to address either of you directly, I would respond directly or tag you directly. As for mentioning Pernetti, he has done that at least twice (maybe three times) in his B1G Media day presser. It's his way of emphasizing how he always thought Rutgers belonged in the B1G, and that has come to fruition. It's no secret that he and Tim were (and maybe still are) close. They grew up in the same town and went to the same high school.

I'll do some speculating now- I would not be surprised if there is at least a strong push for Pernetti to get rehired, and if he got rehired. On the other hand, Tim may not want to come back after the way he got thrown under the bus. Maybe he would. I would not, but that's Tim decision if it comes up.

Maybe. Would you feel differently if he said "these other factors need to take precedence."?

Pat loved being AD. This was not an easy decision for him. In my experience and observation, resignation letters/statements are written when a person may be feeling emotional about the decision. They can tend to be inarticulately worded. Maybe he vetted every word, maybe he didn't.

You and @GotEmmm seem to worry too much about what others think of you. We all roll differently, but in my experience, seeking validation from others on social media and the internet is not healthy. Some seem to really enjoy celebrating "being right." That's great if that works for you.

If I wanted to address either of you directly, I would respond directly or tag you directly. As for mentioning Pernetti, he has done that at least twice (maybe three times) in his B1G Media day presser. It's his way of emphasizing how he always thought Rutgers belonged in the B1G, and that has come to fruition. It's no secret that he and Tim were (and maybe still are) close. They grew up in the same town and went to the same high school.

I'll do some speculating now- I would not be surprised if there is at least a strong push for Pernetti to get rehired, and if he got rehired. On the other hand, Tim may not want to come back after the way he got thrown under the bus. Maybe he would. I would not, but that's Tim decision if it comes up.

I don’t know you, so your opinion about me doesn’t mean much. If anyone celebrated “being right,” it would be the person who thinks I look stupid, I’d bet. All I said is that this doesn’t add up, I have no idea as to what’s actually going on, nor do I know of any of the rumors.

We live in NJ. We have the freedom to question those in authority. I do not support dear leader at RU or in government with blinders on. Questioning facts right in front of my face, does not make me less of an RU fan. That type of thinking, I leave that to those of penn state.

It wouldn’t surprise me either, but Pernetti is on a different career path now. Either way, if I am Holloway, I call Tim for advice (and probably offer some sort of apology).

Last edited:
Like the use of "Bro". That poster is no "bro" to me. Negative energy is wasted energy.

"Bro!"- he got the facts from the Subway on Easton!!! 😜
I took a look at Reddit too. Again- even something else will come out that has been intimated there, it will not really change my opinion of what Pat achieved as AD. But if that something does turn out to be true, we will have to live with some insufferable idiots clucking over how right they were.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT