ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers athletic director Pat Hobbs abruptly resigns

Hypothetically of course, and tying this to the Ray Rice thread, would improper behavior resulting in Hobbs’ firing forever keep him out of the RU Hall of Fame no matter how much other good he’s done (couldn’t resist) ?

weak backtrack. Not about him, per se, but employers/employee health/HR in general. HIPAA applies. Patients’ (students and employees) PHI must be protected.
Employers are not bound by HIPAA, period. Happy to see a link or something other than you spouting falsehoods to say otherwise.

Except as their employee health and HR units operate, and you must know that if this is indeed your profession.
Again, you’re now making up that he’s going through employee health to try to correct your incorrect statement. I’d be willing to bet he isn’t, but that’s irrelevant. Employers aren’t bound, as employers, by HIPAA. HR absolutely positively isn’t covered by HIPAA.

Again, you’re now making up that he’s going through employee health to try to correct your incorrect statement. I’d be willing to bet he isn’t, but that’s irrelevant. Employers aren’t bound, as employers, by HIPAA. HR absolutely positively isn’t covered by HIPAA.
Please just put the jerk off on ignore. He is a POS troublemaker.

Wow. Maybe just for once in this climate, take the news at face value. Maybe the poor guy legit needs something major and is acting in the interest of his family. And also based on his age, perspective.

As a father, maybe he just knows what’s really important. Speaks to me personally because I lost my dad before I went to school even. So respect his ****ing privacy and decisions.

I wish Pat Hobbs nothing but the best, a brilliant AD for Rutgers ( except Ash), his health is way more important than his job. But why is it that when we feel like we are finally about to break into something big, we lose a key cog. This is not quite as bad as Schiano leaving, but the selfish Rutgers fan in me wishes he could have possibly stayed and kept the ship sailing in the right direction. Hobbs was a politically astute NJ insider, a hard loss.

Last edited:
He’s been trolling y’all all day. Just ignore him.
Not trolling at all. Just commenting on this story with some insight, and then got attacked because people didn’t like what I said.

Genuinely: The real story is very disappointing as a Rutgers fan (who felt like we were finally turning a corner without anything to embarrass us recently and exciting seasons ahead), so I didn’t want to be the one to just come out and say it.

If you Google Patt Hobbs Reddit, the first link now has some posts from like 9 hours ago that will shed some light for you all.

Last edited:
Not trolling at all. Just commenting on this story with some insight, and then got attacked because people didn’t like what I said.

Genuinely: The real story is very disappointing as a Rutgers fan (who felt like we were finally turning a corner without anything to embarrass us recently and exciting seasons ahead), so I didn’t want to be the one to just come out and say it.

If you Google Patt Hobbs Reddit, the first link now has some posts from like 9 hours ago that will shed some light for you all.

Where there’s smoke, there’s fire….

Reactions: MrsScrew
I have long had the gentleman on "ignore."
Hate using the language, but there are some true cretins in this board. Pat Hobbs did an excellent job as AD, and as Dean and a professor at SHLS. The man is a gentleman and truly a nice guy. He has a health emergency, and some people feel the need to kick a good man when he is down. That is lower than low. Wonder if these people would do such things if this happened to their father or mother.

Hate using the language, but there are some true cretins in this board. Pat Hobbs did an excellent job as AD, and as Dean and a professor at SHLS. The man is a gentleman and truly a nice guy. He has a health emergency, and some people feel the need to kick a good man when he is down. That is lower than low. Wonder if these people would do such things if this happened to their father or mother.

Knight Shift - I think people are questioning the official version of events because it doesn’t seem to add up, not because people are looking to kick Hobbs while he’s down.

Here’s Politis take:

"Cretin" is too nice. It implies that the problem is lack of intellectual ability. That's forgivable -- not everyone was born with intelligence. Instead, the problem is people who say outrageous things because of their desire for attention.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Rutgers isn’t his healthcare provider. They aren’t bound by HIPAA. Common misconception.

I don’t need to. I work in healthcare. Employers aren’t a covered entity.

weak backtrack. Not about him, per se, but employers/employee health/HR in general. HIPAA applies. Patients’ (students and employees) PHI must be protected.

Employers are not bound by HIPAA, period. Happy to see a link or something other than you spouting falsehoods to say otherwise.

I don’t feel like getting in a debate with you. For a rare change, Shelby and I are in agreement. You may be right that by legal definition, RU might not meet the technical definition of a covered entity - but my understanding is that for the avoidance of doubt most universities elect to be treated as such for the purpose of their privacy policies (basically they assume HIPAA would apply because it’s easier / safest to do so rather than try to separate situations where RU medical staff and affiliates are involved - for example injured student athletes who are treated by RU would definitely be subject to HIPAA).

The point is - if anything is odd about this situation - the fact that Hobbs was first to reveal information about a medical heart issue rather than the school is not it.

Knight Shift - I think people are questioning the official version of events because it doesn’t seem to add up, not because people are looking to kick Hobbs while he’s down.

Here’s Politis take:

Politi is spot on with how peculiar this was handled. That’s usually because there’s more to the story. And in this case there is…

Here’s Politis take:

Paywall on the article. Can you share what it says?

Rutgers isn’t his healthcare provider. They aren’t bound by HIPAA. Common misconception.
Regarding HIPAA- the misconception is that you are protected by it by everyone. What others are saying is true, but…
There are others protections in place- in some states, it is the right to privacy and the biggest protection, even if you are not disabled and even if an employer leaks you are perfectly healthy- the ADA protects you and you can sue an employer based on their protections.

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops

Here’s Politis take:

Politi is the head asshole of rumor-mongerng, tinfoil hat-wearing assholes. He is an ugly person inside and out.

Here’s Politis take:

Thanks for linking the article, but it is truly weird. Lots of people on this board and elsewhere criticized CVS for using sick leave when there was no reasonable chance she would be able to return. Hobbs chose not to do what she did- and the result is that people are suspicious because he did the right thing!

The business about how he should have taken a leave is weird as well. You take a leave when the condition is something that will go away -- but cardiac problems often do not, but instead remain a permanent source of risk.

Thanks for linking the article, but it is truly weird. Lots of people on this board and elsewhere criticized CVS for using sick leave when there was no reasonable chance she would be able to return. Hobbs chose not to do what she did- and the result is that people are suspicious because he did the right thing!

The business about how he should have taken a leave is weird as well. You take a leave when the condition is something that will go away -- but cardiac problems often do not, but instead remain a permanent source of risk.
I could not read the article bc it's paywalled, but I figured it was a bunch of idle, stupid speculation by a horrible writer who suffers from clickbait attention disorder.

There are more horse's asses than horses. You are a case in point.
I’m genuinely so confused here. Did you do what I said? Can you read? Why is everybody so mad at me because Hobbs did something irresponsible with a subordinate? I’m not f’n happy about this. It’s brutal for Rutgers.

If it’s already on Reddit, I assure you it will come out more wildly soon enough. And you, and all the others on this thread for attacking me and calling me names because you think I’m making things up, can come back and apologize when that happens.

Politi is the head asshole of rumor-mongerng, tinfoil hat-wearing assholes. He is an ugly person inside and out.
I am not a politi fan either. I’m an RU letter winner during the Mulchay era. We are all Rutgers fans.

But it’s been 18 hours since the news came out. Not one word of support from Schiano or Pike. Not an outpouring of well wishes from those in the athletic department.

If this is a health reason, I would have expected an outpouring of support from all those that loved Hobbs, including the coaches and his colleagues in the athletic department. He’s been here for 9 years!!

We should be seeing all these quotes from everyone in RU athletics about the successes of his tenure.

If I take my scarlet colored glasses off for a minute, this just does not add up.

Regarding HIPAA- the misconception is that you are protected by it by everyone. What others are saying is true, but…
There are others protections in place- in some states, it is the right to privacy and the biggest protection, even if you are not disabled and even if an employer leaks you are perfectly healthy- the ADA protects you and you can sue an employer based on their protections.

Yup this. There are too many risks. The bottom line is that because of HIPAA (whether direct or indirect), it isn’t odd that RU would refrain from being first to disclose medical information about Hobbs.

I’m going to go back to the Schiano presser. I didn’t notice at the time, but do agree (especially with this news) it would be odd if he didn’t mention Hobbs and gave a shout out to the others. Schiano doesn’t make administrative mistakes like that. And if he knew about about major medical issue like this, I’d think he would’ve gone out of his way to mention Hobbs. I don’t disagree that this does seem unusual.

I could not read the article bc it's paywalled, but I figured it was a bunch of idle, stupid speculation by a horrible writer who suffers from clickbait attention disorder.

Same - but don’t you think the Schiano presser thing is, in the least, odd for Greg? He doesn’t just miss big shout outs like that. I guess it’s possible Pat had been MIA and Greg was frustrated with him, not knowing why. But with Greg, the default assumption has to be that it wasn’t an accident. He’s just too polished that way.

Reactions: GotEmmm
Yeah, no. Some of choose to skip yellow journalism and swimming in cesspools.
Still, likely best to listen to all sources, even those that historically are less than sound i.e. sources that are "suspect." Especially when it comes to RU Athletics, as "we" do have a history of missteps. This remains a developing story.

Same - but don’t you think the Schiano presser thing is, in the least, odd for Greg? He doesn’t just miss big shout outs like that. I guess it’s possible Pat had been MIA and Greg was frustrated with him, not knowing why. But with Greg, the default assumption has to be that it wasn’t an accident. He’s just too polished that way.
I don't want to engage in speculation on this (we will find out when we find out) but I will say that if you're right (I didn't see the Schiano presser but will take your word for it) that would be out of character for Greg to not thank his AD. Greg is the ultimate cross t's dot i's kinda CEO.

Sorry you have to resort to name calling. You’re usually better than that.
Yeah, well, fight fire with fire. Until facts come out, people should STFU with idle speculation when the man gave serious health reasons for his sudden resignation. And even if something else does come out, that does not change the fact that the man did a remarkable job for Rutgers, and he has a serious health issue to address. But that will not stop the message board muckrakers from trying to tear a man down. Again, wonder how they would feel if this was their father or mother. I don't need your approval or anyone else's on this board. I'm comfortable and confident in my actions.

Still, likely best to listen to all sources, even those that historically are less than sound i.e. sources that are "suspect." Especially when it comes to RU Athletics, as "we" do have a history of missteps. This remains a developing story.
I will give that pile of crap organization and Politi nothing but the hope that they go out of business. They have been a cancer on Rutgers, and they get their jollies out of tearing Rutgers down.

• Love
Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
Yeah, well, fight fire with fire. Until facts come out, people should STFU with idle speculation when the man gave serious health reasons for his sudden resignation. And even if something else does come out, that does not change the fact that the man did a remarkable job for Rutgers, and he has a serious health issue to address. But that will not stop the message board muckrakers from trying to tear a man down. Again, wonder how they would feel if this was their father or mother. I don't need your approval or anyone else's on this board. I'm comfortable and confident in my actions.
I’m pretty sure you’re mostly referring to me. The thing you’re confusing, though, is that the what I’m saying is speculation instead of fact.

I’m genuinely so confused here. Did you do what I said? Can you read? Why is everybody so mad at me because Hobbs did something irresponsible with a subordinate? I’m not f’n happy about this. It’s brutal for Rutgers.

If it’s already on Reddit, I assure you it will come out more wildly soon enough. And you, and all the others on this thread for attacking me and calling me names because you think I’m making things up, can come back and apologize when that happens.
People are calling you out as an ahole because you seem to be relishing in the hope for a scandal. Constantly pointing out the possibility of a scandal only defines you as someone that doesn't have the best interests of RU at heart. You'd rather be right and spew negatives than shut up and be positve.

How about we all wait to jump to conclusions until the facts come out?

I admire and respect Pat for what he did at Rutgers, coming into a tough situation and leaving it in a much better place.

He’s truly a gentleman, and as nice of a guy as you’ll ever meet.

He’s done wonders for this athletic department and will be sorely missed

Thoughts and prayers are with him and his family, hoping he recovers and is able to overcome whatever health issues he has

Grateful for his time here - Pat will always be a loyal son

I don't want to engage in speculation on this (we will find out when we find out) but I will say that if you're right (I didn't see the Schiano presser but will take your word for it) that would be out of character for Greg to not thank his AD. Greg is the ultimate cross t's dot i's kinda CEO.

I haven’t either. I’m trying to locate the one referenced in this string to listen to it. I’m assuming what was stated by multiple posters on this omission is accurate. If so, it’s near certain that Schiano did it on purpose.

It doesn’t have to be a sinister reason, but everything Greg does is calculated - it’d be naive to even entertain the possibility that it was an oversight. Could certainly just be that Pat had gone MIA for a while with respect to some of his responsibilities to RU and after being called out on it finally let on about major medical issues. Maybe Pat dropped the ball on something that impacted Greg (we know he has a tendency to get “cranky” and without knowing the facts at the time of the presser - something like that could certainly explain the omission). Clearly this is speculation. I just don’t think Greg would accidently omit a shout out to his AD (direct boss).

Pat is a good guy. What Stringer did to the girls program was torture for him. I don’t think he’d want to do the same. If this issue isn’t likely to go away, I believe it’s possible he might decide to just cut ties. He wouldn’t take a leave of absence knowing that he could never return. Pat doesn’t roll that way.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT