ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers athletic director Pat Hobbs abruptly resigns

You and @GotEmmm seem to worry too much about what others think of you. We all roll differently, but in my experience, seeking validation from others on social media and the internet is not healthy. Some seem to really enjoy celebrating "being right." That's great if that works for you.

If I wanted to address either of you directly, I would respond directly or tag you directly. As for mentioning Pernetti, he has done that at least twice (maybe three times) in his B1G Media day presser. It's his way of emphasizing how he always thought Rutgers belonged in the B1G, and that has come to fruition. It's no secret that he and Tim were (and maybe still are) close. They grew up in the same town and went to the same high school.

I'll do some speculating now- I would not be surprised if there is at least a strong push for Pernetti to get rehired, and if he got rehired. On the other hand, Tim may not want to come back after the way he got thrown under the bus. Maybe he would. I would not, but that's Tim decision if it comes up.
Let me remind you that you replied to my post calling me an ass at 7:54 this AM. That was our first interaction in this thread…

For the record I didn’t attack anybody in here proactively. I simply responded in kind to unsolicited name calling/bashing.

Reactions: RU-AGK
did I miss it or was the reddit thread being talked about linked? If it wasn't like, can someone like it? The only 2 I have seen just have the rumors mentioned and no substance.

for context I have seen these 2:

Also strange if it ends up being the run of the mill affair. Why would he resign for that. As for reddit- can't seem to find anything outside of comments anyway.

Also strange if it ends up being the run of the mill affair. Why would he resign for that. As for reddit- can't seem to find anything outside of comments anyway.
If this is what happened, there are school policies about subordinate relationships. And on top of that, he may have lied about it.

Bobby Petrino

"Bro!"- he got the facts from the Subway on Easton!!! 😜
I took a look at Reddit too. Again- even something else will come out that has been intimated there, it will not really change my opinion of what Pat achieved as AD. But if that something does turn out to be true, we will have to live with some insufferable idiots clucking over how right they were.
It's funny- when some of these kids use "bro" "brah" etc and think us older folk don't get that it is condescending...but to them a 👍is condescending lol
And agree- regardless of what may or may not be true- the guy was an exhalent AD...

If this is what happened, there are school policies about subordinate relationships. And on top of that, he may have lied about it.

Bobby Petrino
I think it’s also just the fact that he’s the leader of a major division at a big state school. He’s supposed to exhibit leadership and strong judgement, and having an affair alone doesn’t really do that. When you, on top of that, have an affair with a married coach that reports to you? Hard to come back from that…

That’s the rumor.
Seems like the SL got wind of the affair . In other places like the Sec maybe influential people at a media site would sweep it under the rug and it would be handled behind closed doors. But the SL essentially wets themselves over this stuff. In this case un like the past the SL probably gave RU a couple days heads up. Hence why they started with and have not yet changed the headline . I have to imagine the entire dept was told it was coming which aligns with why it’s been radio silence for the health support.

Either way , Hobbs is an idiot for even allowing himself to get close to a situation like this.
I was with you until your last sentence.
Extramarital affairs happen for various reasons. Never been involved in one and never will be. But I have several close friends who have, and they are still my friends. I'm their friends, not their spouse. I'm not religious either, but a quote from The Bible seems apt:

"How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye."

Everyone has flaws. Nobody is perfect.

Reactions: letitrip2
Let me remind you that you replied to my post calling me an ass at 7:54 this AM. That was our first interaction in this thread…

For the record I didn’t attack anybody in here proactively. I simply responded in kind to unsolicited name calling/bashing.

You haven't responded to my post/question. You are presenting the reddit comments as fact. They may be or maybe not. What facts do you have or how have you acquired factual information that you seem reluctant post directly on this forum?

I was with you until your last sentence.
Extramarital affairs happen for various reasons. Never been involved in one and never will be. But I have several close friends who have, and they are still my friends. I'm their friends, not their spouse. I'm not religious either, but a quote from The Bible seems apt:

"How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye."

Everyone has flaws. Nobody is perfect.

Okay fine. But did your friends do it with coworkers ? Subordinates? Against their contract and employment agreement in an extremely visible position and risk severe reputational damage to a large organization to have their affair ?!

That’s my point. Hobbs can do whatever in his personal life. This was a risk that is not acceptable to even get close to

Reactions: GotEmmm
There are more horse's asses than horses. You are a case in point.
I was going to be more tactful about it -- thanking him for saying I was a horse, and indicating that I wasn't sure I could entirely return the compliment. In any case, he's made my "ignore" list.

Which reminds me of what a U.S. Senator said about Huey Long: "We read that in Roman times the Emperor Caligua sent his horse to the Roman Senate. Consider how much wiser he was than the good people of Louisiana. At least he sent the whole horse."

I think it’s also just the fact that he’s the leader of a major division at a big state school. He’s supposed to exhibit leadership and strong judgement, and having an affair alone doesn’t really do that. When you, on top of that, have an affair with a married coach that reports to you? Hard to come back from that…
There was a Facebook group post that was deleted. Said that because of the "relationship" he was covering up some sort of abuse from the coach to the gymnasts? They're using the heart issue to garner sympathy. Basically he new this story was coming out so he resigned ahead of time.

No idea if it's true but it would make sense.

Reactions: GotEmmm
If the affair with a coach is true, he needs to resign only bc she is a subordinate. Not sure why people care if she’s married- if she wasn’t it’s still a fireable offense. As for people making this out to be some scandalous event, I don’t really care as long as it’s not my spouse.

I truly hope it is only about medical issues and it can be corrected or managed and he lives a long healthy life. There are some peculiar issues with this though and if medical is being used as cover for another issue he wouldn't be the first to do it. I am taking your quote as verbatim, and the "other factors need to take precedence" leaves an opening if something later comes out. Using "other" rather than "health" or "medical" raises my antenna a little. Sorry for the shiny hat.
If he were doing what you suggest, he wouldn't be so specific. He would say at most that he was resigning for "personal" or "health" reasons. I think you're straining too hard to find an improper motive.

There was a Facebook group post that was deleted. Said that because of the "relationship" he was covering up some sort of abuse from the coach to the gymnasts? They're using the heart issue to garner sympathy. Basically he new this story was coming out so he resigned ahead of time.

No idea if it's true but it would make sense.
Why would that make sense? If he knew the story was coming out, why bother making up this health issue?

Reactions: retired711
Why would that make sense? If he knew the story was coming out, why bother making up this health issue?
The affair discovery issue may have caused the heart issue. That and the thought of losing a few million bucks over it, maybe

Okay fine. But did your friends do it with coworkers ? Subordinates? Against their contract and employment agreement in an extremely visible position and risk severe reputational damage to a large organization to have their affair ?!

That’s my point. Hobbs can do whatever in his personal life. This was a risk that is not acceptable to even get close to
Unless I'm mistaken, the post to which I answered did not mention coworkers or subordinates. It that is indeed the case, agreed, it's a big problem. But we don't know that at this point in time.

If the affair with a coach is true, he needs to resign only bc she is a subordinate. Not sure why people care if she’s married- if she wasn’t it’s still a fireable offense. As for people making this out to be some scandalous event, I don’t really care as long as it’s not my spouse.
The relationship isn't so much the scandal. It's the "cover up of abuse" that's the scandal.

Sure an affair with a subordinate isn’t great, but in this day and age, how much of a scandal is that really? Guy should run for President.

Link below, and yes, Greg thanked the B1G Commissioner, President Holloway, and the BOG.

Here it is, transcribed from YouTube:

"I really feel especially appreciative for commissioner petiti the job he's done in a year he and his staff is just tremendous so
Tony thank you for for everything and I'd be remiss if I didn't thank our president Jonathan Holloway um between Jonathan and our Board of Governors I've never felt like Rutgers the university the football program have ever been more vertically aligned and that's what it takes make no mistake about it from the top to the bottom everyone has to have the same vision and I feel like we do part of the greatest conference in in college athletics and uh excited we have three three great players here today . . . . "

To answer your question about his omission of Pat, perhaps it was an oversight. Perhaps he covered it in the top to bottom remark.

Regardless, I've made it clear that perhaps we should wait for more information to come out before speculating. Some people are not like that. But I live by a couple of simple rules on social media and in life: The first is to think about how your actions and words are going to affect another person as they would affect someone close to you, such as a family member. The second, is to not engage in idle speculation. I have seen too many times what idle speculation, shit-talking, etc can do to people, reputations and relationships.

And should something bad come out later, I'm not walking back anything I said here. It does not erase all of the good things Pat Hobbs did for Rutgers. That's how I roll, and others roll differently. Sadly, some will revel in being right or celebrating some sort of bad news. As I said above, I'm comfortable in my choices and actions.

I have what I think is a fair question. You won't walk back anything you said including calling people names for saying theres more to this story even if they are correct because that's how you roll? I for one am taking the story exactly how Hobbs said it and won't celebrate whether you're right or wrong but find you just as bad as the speculators and that's how I roll. Can't denigrate someone's opinion and then whitewash yours if you're totally wrong and I 100% hope you're not wrong.

Reactions: RU-AGK
Make sure RU66 sees this post. He has trouble connecting two dots on his own, and this should make it pretty clear for him.
That's the " rumor". And you call it fact. Two posts on reddit are rumors that you're relying on?? You have trouble understanding what a fact is. Again tell us what facts you know. Connecting dots is bullshyt. Hearsay is likewise.

Personally, I couldn’t care less if hecdid this or not as a morning impact my opinion of him on the job

I do understand him having to step down if it is true, but my opinion of him an an AD are extremely high and will always be that way

I certainly don’t condone it, but I do wish we had a little more southern school “ who gives a shit, just win” mentality in us as that would likely be swept under the rug at those places, and not be that big of a deal

Hell, I’d be a complete hypocrite if I judged him that way as I’ve voted twice and be voting again in November for somebody who had many extra marital affairs

That's the " rumor". And you call it fact. Two posts on reddit are rumors that you're relying on?? You have trouble understanding what a fact is. Again tell us what facts you know. Connecting dots is bullshyt. Hearsay is likewise.
My goodness lol. I’m telling you that I know the “rumors” on Reddit ARE FACT. Check the time stamps in this thread of when I’ve alluded to this. They PROCEED those posts on Reddit. What don’t you get? If you can’t understand what I’m saying here you’re truly helpless.

I have what I think is a fair question. You won't walk back anything you said including calling people names for saying theres more to this story even if they are correct because that's how you roll? I for one am taking the story exactly how Hobbs said it and won't celebrate whether you're right or wrong but find you just as bad as the speculators and that's how I roll. Can't denigrate someone's opinion and then whitewash yours if you're totally wrong and I 100% hope you're not wrong.
Well said.

What? He resigned. What money?
over your head cosplay GIF by Comic-Con HQ

My goodness lol. I’m telling you that I know the “rumors” on Reddit ARE FACT. Check the time stamps in this thread of when I’ve alluded to this. They PROCEED those posts on Reddit. What don’t you get? If you can’t understand what I’m saying here you’re truly helpless.
Time stamps my ass.So you're saying you have direct, personal information he had an affair. You know when and where and with whom ?? Did he screw you??

The info I shared was that he didn’t resign simply because of his heart. Are you dense?

Look back through my posts here. I allude to what happened. Use the minimal brain power you have to try to figure it out.
please elaborate on the reason you suspect is why he retired.or is it that you don't know a reason just making like there is one.
One can imply there's a nefarious reason , but shouldn't expect to be taken seriously unless they can provide a least a little bit of what dirty laundry was the reason for retirement .

Too often low lifes throw out accusations just trying to ruin someone's reputation just for the fun of it .
Hopefully you're not that type and will provide your reason for saying "he didn’t resign simply because of his heart."
Thanking you in advance for providing a reason for your doubting Hobbs retired because of a medical condition and sharing that thought in this thread

please elaborate on the reason you suspect is why he retired.or is it that you don't know a reason just making like there is one.
One can imply there's a nefarious reason , but shouldn't expect to be taken seriously unless they can provide a least a little bit of what dirty laundry was the reason for retirement .

Too often low lifes throw out accusations just trying to ruin someone's reputation just for the fun of it .
Hopefully you're not that type and will provide your reason for saying "he didn’t resign simply because of his heart."
Thanking you in advance for providing a reason for your doubting Hobbs retired because of a medical condition and sharing that thought in this thread
I promise you I’m not just making something up to cause strife. I’ve explained my sadness about this being the case. You can look back through my posting history. I’ve never just “made something up” for the sake of it.

As you can all tell, I’m not open to explaining how I know this, but what I’m saying is that the rumor on Reddit is true. Hobbs had an affair with the gymnastics head coach USB. It was finally coming to the surface, so he resigned in advance of the info coming out “formally” and used the heart issues as a decoy. I have no idea if he actually has a heart issue… he may! If so, i truly help he gets the medical help he needs and it improves. I’m just saying that is not the primary reason he resigned.

Period.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT