ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers athletic director Pat Hobbs abruptly resigns

I did not see it on the internet, and, again, my allusions to it in this thread proceed ANY mention on Reddit. But I’m done trying to convince you. Believe me or don’t.
my saying internet was because Reddit is on the internet and on page 8 of this thread in a reply to RU66
you stated :
"My goodness lol. I’m telling you that I know the “rumors” on Reddit ARE FACT. Check the time stamps in this thread of when I’ve alluded to this. They PROCEED those posts on Reddit. What don’t you get? If you can’t understand what I’m saying here you’re truly helpless."

Since you know, do you have a source )?), if legitimate that might convince me.
Another way will be if the so called article going to be published about Hobbs having an affair is published then I'll have no reason to doubt what you say.
Even giving a legitimate source ( not reddit) might not be enough to convince me without some way of you proving it came from that source.
So I'll just wait for the article to come out and if it does I'll admit you know what you're talking about.
If not I give you the benefit of doubt and feel you got taken in by some BS you found on the internet and, instead of checking it out to see if true, you just went and shared the BS without really knowing if it was true . Just thought it was true like many do when they see something being said on the internet about someone.

for those that didn't see the reddit talk , this is what I found when I went there to see what was being said
https://www.reddit.com/user/n00dlejester/
https://www.reddit.com/user/n00dlejester/

n00dlejester
18h ago

Around 9pm eastern, I'm seeing rumors that the Star Ledger is gonna publish a piece outlining some extramarital nonsense between Hobbs and a female coach, and that the paper gave the school a heads up. Anybody hearing similar?

https://www.reddit.com/user/ashah214/

ashah214
17h ago • Edited 17h ago

I'm hearing same. Gymnastics coach. If it's the head gymnastics coach, she's married to Aaron Beasley. 3 other coaches on the team, 2 veteran 7 yr coaches, the other has been there for 2 years.

Last edited:
I have what I think is a fair question. You won't walk back anything you said including calling people names for saying theres more to this story even if they are correct because that's how you roll? I for one am taking the story exactly how Hobbs said it and won't celebrate whether you're right or wrong but find you just as bad as the speculators and that's how I roll. Can't denigrate someone's opinion and then whitewash yours if you're totally wrong and I 100% hope you're not wrong.
That's a helluva an attempt at a gotcha post. First of all, I made a joke about GotEmm's "leading a horse to water," comment, tow which retorted about more horse's asses than horses. IMHO, something has been "off" with his posts in this thread. I despise rumor mongers. Don't beat around the bush, if you are going to post something that tears down another person's reputation, spill the beans on what you have. I don't even know what the heck you mean if I am right or wrong. I have consistently said it is wrong to post rumors and speculation based upon a Reddit thread. It was only later in the thread that GotEmm said he has information allegedly lining up with what is posted on Reddit. Opinions and facts are two different things, and your last sentence makes little sense to me. I will not respond to you further, but tried to clarify my point.

There are two sides to every story, but which story is "correct?":

former-rutgers-gymnasts-speaking-out-v0-m2ur58hh8e3d1.jpeg

former-rutgers-gymnasts-speaking-out-v0-thww591j8e3d1.jpeg

Where is this letter posted? To whom was it sent & when? What link is she referring to?

Thanks for posting the language.

You don’t really believe the part about it possibly being an oversight do you? This is Schiano we’re talking about. It’s not in his DNA to just forget something like that in a speech. We don’t know the reason (and maybe we never will), but he almost certainly did it on purpose.

I rarely agree with Shelby but it is also odd that the university hasn’t come out with a thank you statement or announced a ceremony to honor Hobbs. Maybe that’s coming, but enough hours have gone by now that it’s getting weird.
It could be an oversight, and I am not continue to debate it. I'm quite meticulous in my work habits, and sometimes I screw up. I'm human. So is Greg.

People have been wondering why Greg has been so quiet the past 24 hours. Maybe because he is doing his job and he is laser focused on preparing the team for the season? Maybe words from the horse's mouth will soothe some people's minds?

As you guys know by now, Pat’s stepping away and I just wish him the best with his health and his future,” Schiano said following his team’s scrimmage at SHI Stadium. “I think we did some really good things together here at Rutgers in the last four years. Again, I wish he and his family the best.”

Schiano, who said he has communicated with Hobbs since Friday's announcement but said the contents would remain personal, said he has confidence in the future of the department with the leadership that is already in place.

“We are vertically aligned,” Schiano said. “It starts with our governing board. We have a great new chairperson in Amy Towers. She just took over. We’ve had great leadership there. Everybody is aligned with what the role of athletics is at Rutgers and how we’re going to do it. President Holloway, he’s phenomenal. He’s a huge supporter of everything Rutgers. I think what happens is the old saying, ‘All boats rise with the tide.’”

As far as his involvement with the search – Schiano said he didn’t have any expectation about the level of input he would have.

I’m focused on getting this scrimmage graded and then turning our focus to Howard,” Schiano said. “I have a job and I’m the head football coach. I plan on trying to do that the best I can.”

"Bro!"- he got the facts from the Subway on Easton!!! 😜
I took a look at Reddit too. Again- even something else will come out that has been intimated there, it will not really change my opinion of what Pat achieved as AD. But if that something does turn out to be true, we will have to live with some insufferable idiots clucking over how right they were.
I hope it's not true but if it is it will not negate all the positives Pat achieved as AD, for me! More importantly is that the administration and BOG takes the time and care needed to pick the best candidate to lead the program forwards. Rutgers because of Mulcahy, Pernetti and Hobbs is a very desirable school to be an AD. We are in the heart of two of the biggest media markets in the country with oodles of potential tie ins and advertising. So far Rutgers has tapped only a fraction of its potential.

Reactions: koleszar
Where is this letter posted? To whom was it sent & when? What link is she referring to?
In the same Reddit thread that was linked to the other posts from the upset gymnasts.

IIRC, weren't there complaints about the softball coach at one point, and she/he was not fired? I forget. Athletes who are dismissed often complain publicly about how they were treated. Sometimes their complaints are well-founded. Sometimes not.

There are two sides to every story, but which story is "correct?":

former-rutgers-gymnasts-speaking-out-v0-m2ur58hh8e3d1.jpeg

former-rutgers-gymnasts-speaking-out-v0-thww591j8e3d1.jpeg

At this point it’s all still speculation but what you posted is the reality I’m hoping for because it seems most plausible outcome that doesn’t hurt RU much. If Hobbs was having an affair with a coach who was investigated and cleared for wrong doing and the affair came out - I’d think he would step down to protect everyone and avoid embarrassment. If he has a heart condition, it would also make sense to use that as the publicly stated reason (same logic - to avoid embarrassment not only for himself but others). It would also make sense that Schiano would avoid speaking of Hobbs like the plague. But it wouldn’t really have an impact on RU unless it comes out that Hobbs protected his girlfriend from wrongdoing. It would also make sense that the university is taking its time with announcements.

I won't believe why you dragged this out into a multiple page thread when you could have been more transparent instead of "horsing around." Have a good day.
I’ve said a couple different times by now that I wasn’t as clear at the start because I didn’t want the news to come out. Only when it was clear that it was imminent did I share more clearly what I knew. The only reason there has been a significant back-and-forth on this is because people like you decided to attack me for sharing the information.

If you go back and read the whole thread, I think you’ll realize that what I’m saying here in this post is accurate. I’ve simply defended myself against people like you, who started name-calling because you didn’t like what I had to say and assumed I didn’t know what I was talking about.

It will soon become clear, I’m sure, that I did know what I was talking about. And you and the others who started calling me names are gonna have to eat your words.

Byeeeeeee

It could be an oversight, and I am not continue to debate it. I'm quite meticulous in my work habits, and sometimes I screw up. I'm human. So is Greg.

People have been wondering why Greg has been so quiet the past 24 hours. Maybe because he is doing his job and he is laser focused on preparing the team for the season? Maybe words from the horse's mouth will soothe some people's minds?

As you guys know by now, Pat’s stepping away and I just wish him the best with his health and his future,” Schiano said following his team’s scrimmage at SHI Stadium. “I think we did some really good things together here at Rutgers in the last four years. Again, I wish he and his family the best.”

Schiano, who said he has communicated with Hobbs since Friday's announcement but said the contents would remain personal, said he has confidence in the future of the department with the leadership that is already in place.

“We are vertically aligned,” Schiano said. “It starts with our governing board. We have a great new chairperson in Amy Towers. She just took over. We’ve had great leadership there. Everybody is aligned with what the role of athletics is at Rutgers and how we’re going to do it. President Holloway, he’s phenomenal. He’s a huge supporter of everything Rutgers. I think what happens is the old saying, ‘All boats rise with the tide.’”

As far as his involvement with the search – Schiano said he didn’t have any expectation about the level of input he would have.

I’m focused on getting this scrimmage graded and then turning our focus to Howard,” Schiano said. “I have a job and I’m the head football coach. I plan on trying to do that the best I can.”

There’s a first time for everything so I agree it’s not impossible. In the least though, it would be very “un-Greg” like to accidentally forget to thank his direct boss (in a speech where he allocated time to say he’d be remiss not to take time to acknowledge others above Hobbs). He did it in a way where it didn’t sound weird (focusing on alignment at the highest levels) but that’s Greg. He’s a master of delivery.

he stated the rumor and said it was posted in reddit like a fact , but the source that I see was someone posting the Star Ledger was going to publish and article about an affair and implied Hobbs retired when the Star Leger gave Rutgers a heads up.
Sounds to me like a seen it on the internet so it must be true type of proof.

I couldn’t find the Reddit rumor, so glad that he at least posted it here.

Seems like a Hobbs issue and not a Rutgers issue..so even if true it’s not too damaging to the school

For some reason I find myself not really interested in this saga. Hobbs may or may not have bagged a coach ala Porkys starring Kim Cattrel. We will find out soon enoughHe resigned for health or whatever reason. I am sure there will be bad press but big deal. Rutgers is well situated in the Big 10 and this isnt like a decade ago

We are in the NIL era...in the big picture no one gives a shit what the AD did as long as money keeps rolling in to the players

Reactions: Knight Shift
For some reason I find myself not really interested in this saga. Hobbs may or may not have bagged a coach ala Porkys starring Kim Cattrel. We will find out soon enoughHe resigned for health or whatever reason. I am sure there will be bad press but big deal. Rutgers is well situated in the Big 10 and this isnt like a decade ago

We are in the NIL era...in the big picture no one gives a shit what the AD did as long as money keeps rolling in to the players

Completely agree. As long as it doesn’t come out he was covering up a scandal for the coach he was in bed with I don’t care either.

please elaborate on the reason you suspect is why he retired.or is it that you don't know a reason just making like there is one.
One can imply there's a nefarious reason , but shouldn't expect to be taken seriously unless they can provide a least a little bit of what dirty laundry was the reason for retirement .

Too often low lifes throw out accusations just trying to ruin someone's reputation just for the fun of it .
Hopefully you're not that type and will provide your reason for saying "he didn’t resign simply because of his heart."
Thanking you in advance for providing a reason for your doubting Hobbs retired because of a medical condition and sharing that thought in this thread
Apparently Hobbs was having an affair with the Gymnastics coach. At least that's the rumor. Not sure why it was so hard for him to post that but there you go

Reactions: bac2therac
I was with you until your last sentence.
Extramarital affairs happen for various reasons. Never been involved in one and never will be. But I have several close friends who have, and they are still my friends. I'm their friends, not their spouse. I'm not religious either, but a quote from The Bible seems apt:

"How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye."

Everyone has flaws. Nobody is perfect.
Just curious from a Bible perspective, you just gonna completely overlook the whole "thou shall not commit adultry" part of the 10 commandments where it specifically calls out that action as a sin?

Weird

Completely agree. As long as it doesn’t come out he was covering up a scandal for the coach he was in bed with I don’t care either.

Even if he was covering it up..who cares. He’s gone.

The damage would be if anyone still currently at Rutgers was involved in the cover up

I hope it's not true but if it is it will not negate all the positives Pat achieved as AD, for me! More importantly is that the administration and BOG takes the time and care needed to pick the best candidate to lead the program forwards. Rutgers because of Mulcahy, Pernetti and Hobbs is a very desirable school to be an AD. We are in the heart of two of the biggest media markets in the country with oodles of potential tie ins and advertising. So far Rutgers has tapped only a fraction of its potential.

I’d rather the rumor be true than Hobbs having some life altering health issue.

Maybe he legitimately has a heart/health issues that he was going to ignore on their own but because of this other alleged thing it’s a way to get out and try to be under the radar moving forward.
So what you are saying is if no other facts come out, you still think he did something wrong and the truth is just concealed. Of course.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Thanks for posting the language.

You don’t really believe the part about it possibly being an oversight do you? This is Schiano we’re talking about. It’s not in his DNA to just forget something like that in a speech. We don’t know the reason (and maybe we never will), but he almost certainly did it on purpose.

I rarely agree with Shelby but it is also odd that the university hasn’t come out with a thank you statement or announced a ceremony to honor Hobbs. Maybe that’s coming, but enough hours have gone by now that it’s getting weird.
For the record, Shelby isn’t claiming anything. But he finds the the circumstantial evidence that Hobbs indeed engaged in improper behavior much more convincing than Hobbs’ claimed cardiac matter being the reason for the immediate retirement.

Shelby also believes the pervasive unquestioned acceptance of Hobbs’ explanation is stunningly naive.

Gun to his head, with what we know so far, Shelby thinks the university, after an investigation, gave him the opportunity to resign immediately else be fired for cause. That’s the completed puzzle as Shelby sees it now.

Officially retiring probably affords benefits he’d lose if he were fired. Now, Rutgers can no longer fire him for cause. They threw him a bone to recognize the good job he’s done here.

Reactions: lakejj
If not true, everyone who is helping spread the rumors are idiots and scumbags.
So spreading rumors that turn out to be true is ok. Spreading rumors that turn out to be false? Scumbaggery. Check.

What if you believe the rumor you are spreading to be true but it turns out false? Partial credit? Just a douche?

Until something comes out besides rumors being taken as fact , I believe it was a health issue that caused Pat Hobbs to retire.
One rumor ( repeat" rumor" not proven fact) is that the Star Ledger gave Rutgers (Hobbs?) a heads up about an article going to be published about an affair Hobbs allegedly had and that caused Hobbs to quickly retire and implied that was not health issue was the reason.

So I would take a guess the Ledger has everything they need and Sunday ( 6/18/24) would be when the article would come out as the first part of a series of articles covering an affair Hobbs had ( according to rumors) in a hope to increase circulation citing the public's right to know what's going on with Rutgers Athletics .
If the Star Ledger doesn't put out an article tomorrow, it could be there was no article planed, maybe no affair to report and the retirement was for medical reasons , nothing else..

Why tomorrow, Sunday 8/18/24 , the longer they wait after the retirement was announced, the less interest it draws and people won't buy their paper or be willing to pay a subscription fee to read about it online

Until something comes out besides rumors being taken as fact , I believe it was a health issue that caused Pat Hobbs to retire.
One rumor ( repeat" rumor" not proven fact) is that the Star Ledger gave Rutgers (Hobbs?) a heads up about an article going to be published about an affair Hobbs allegedly had and that caused Hobbs to quickly retire and implied that was not health issue was the reason.

So I would take a guess the Ledger has everything they need and Sunday ( 6/18/24) would be when the article would come out as the first part of a series of articles covering an affair Hobbs had ( according to rumors) in a hope to increase circulation citing the public's right to know what's going on with Rutgers Athletics .
If the Star Ledger doesn't put out an article tomorrow, it could be there was no article planed, maybe no affair to report and the retirement was for medical reasons , nothing else..

Why tomorrow, Sunday 8/18/24 , the longer they wait after the retirement was announced, the less interest it draws and people won't buy their paper or be willing to pay a subscription fee to read about it online
You have absolutely no idea what the SL’s timeline would or should be.

💯
Just win

As someone who could truly not give a rats ass about the ramblings and testaments of the unbelievably self-righteous who have exposed themselves in this thread I for one am happy to go on record saying if there IS scandal (and most know where there is smoke, there is fire) I'm glad it is personal scandal and not something that has the ability to tear down all the good work done to raise Rutgers image and perception over the last decade. Do I care if Hobbs did "X" in his personal life? Not at all. He did good work for the thing I care about which is Rutgers Athletics and for the most part, did it with personality. If he has a heart issue I hope for a full and speedy recovery.

I was girding myself for something sanction worthy which was the gist of my post on Page 1 which the new board voice of righteousness attacked with much vigor and name calling. Whatever, clown shoes. I'm a Rutgers Sports fan with over 30 years experience in taking one step forward and two steps back time after time after time. When sketchy INCOMPLETE news breaks, yeah, I think the worst. You want to shoot rainbows out of your ass because that's your personal philosophy? AWESOME! I won't criticize you for it. But shut the merry f*ck up about how I approach it.

So spreading rumors that turn out to be true is ok. Spreading rumors that turn out to be false? Scumbaggery. Check.

What if you believe the rumor you are spreading to be true but it turns out false? Partial credit? Just a douche?
Generally, spreading rumors about anyone is douchey. If you have inside info that are facts, please do share.

As someone who could truly not give a rats ass about the ramblings and testaments of the unbelievably self-righteous who have exposed themselves in this thread I for one am happy to go on record saying if there IS scandal (and most know where there is smoke, there is fire) I'm glad it is personal scandal and not something that has the ability to tear down all the good work done to raise Rutgers image and perception over the last decade. Do I care if Hobbs did "X" in his personal life? Not at all. He did good work for the thing I care about which is Rutgers Athletics and for the most part, did it with personality. If he has a heart issue I hope for a full and speedy recovery.

I was girding myself for something sanction worthy which was the gist of my post on Page 1 which the new board voice of righteousness attacked with much vigor and name calling. Whatever, clown shoes. I'm a Rutgers Sports fan with over 30 years experience in taking one step forward and two steps back time after time after time. When sketchy INCOMPLETE news breaks, yeah, I think the worst. You want to shoot rainbows out of your ass because that's your personal philosophy? AWESOME! I won't criticize you for it. But shut the merry f*ck up about how I approach it.
You reap what you sow. You couldn't walk in my shoes. Guarantee it. Put me on ignore, sweetheart.

Reactions: RUinPinehurst
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT