ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers athletic director Pat Hobbs abruptly resigns

Dude. I know you’re not very smart. But do you genuinely think I’m just making this up for fun lol?
Oh absolutely!! A clown who's signed up here in 2012 but your are never on here. I'm guessing you're the famous guy with many screen names and found an old batch that didn't get blocked. Again you haven't posted a single fact, quote. Something you can not dispute. I'm the smart one you're the guy in Mom's basement!

Reactions: rubigtimenow
How many of them significant cardiac issues?
Define significant. We all develop cardiac issues as we age. In Hobbs’ case, he may have serious issues but that would also be a convenient excuse if something else was going on which is the real reason he’s leaving effective immediately.

Just saying just because Hobbs (or anyone) says something doesn’t mean it’s true.

Define significant. We all develop cardiac issues as we age. In Hobbs’ case, he may have serious issues but that would also be a convenient excuse if something else was going on which is the real reason he’s leaving.

Just saying just because Hobbs (or anyone) says something doesn’t mean it’s true.

I don’t think it came from Hobbs. Attributed to sources at RU who were privy to his internal email.

I don’t think it came from Hobbs. Attributed to sources at RU who were privy to his internal email.
Doesn’t matter to my point. Maybe urgent cardiac issues are why he’s retiring on the spot. Maybe that’s not the reason. It’s unwise to believe everything one is told. I believe it’s reasonable to question if the stated reason is the truth.

Oh absolutely!! A clown who's signed up here in 2012 but your are never on here. I'm guessing you're the famous guy with many screen names and found an old batch that didn't get blocked. Again you haven't posted a single fact, quote. Something you can not dispute. I'm the smart one you're the guy in Mom's basement!
Did you just talk crap because I don’t post here that much lol? Wow how embarrassing!

That was not the point in response to the post. Many people do not retire at 65 if they are healthy and enjoy their work.
" Many people do not retire at 65 if they are healthy"
very true, but>key word< "healthy"

As for way it was announced, maybe it was felt the best way to do so without having a press conference and possibly being put in a position that might bring more added stress to the stress being felt over hearing the bad news about his health
( this is only a guess )

" Many people do not retire at 65 if they are healthy"
very true, but>key word< "healthy"

As for way it was announced, maybe it was felt the best way to do so without having a press conference and possibly being put in a position that might bring more added stress to the stress being felt over hearing the bad news about his health
( this is only a guess )
Hard to believe this is the reason for no press conference. It’s just as plausible, if not more likely that Rutgers didn’t want him representing it publicly anymore due to some ugly matter. The more I think about it, the more fishy this sudden retirement sounds.

Maybe ‘cardiac issues’ is the reason he resigned without any notice. I’m not convinced.

YOU DIDN’T SHARE ANY INFO

THAT’S THE POINT
The info I shared was that he didn’t resign simply because of his heart. Are you dense?

Look back through my posts here. I allude to what happened. Use the minimal brain power you have to try to figure it out.

The info I shared was that he didn’t resign simply because of his heart. Are you dense?

Look back through my posts here. I allude to what happened. Use the minimal brain power you have to try to figure it out.
Ah…your hinting 😂😂😂

Bye troll

I hope Pat and his family all the best and health takes number 1 priority.
And if the heart issue is enough to make someone resign from a job like this, just let it be.
I’m going to bet the man has a net worth enough to retire comfortably. And maybe he takes a much less stressful job. The guy has a great personality and could most likely be very good on TV.

Regardless- he did a good job and is leaving Rutgers in a much better place than when he got here.
Also- in the search forward- we are in the B1G- no longer a laughing stock and media and everyone else is starting to notice. Football and MBB are trending up- Olympic sports are even better and even the world stage- Women’s Soccer has had Rutgers talked about for years.
We are now getting a full share-
All this has finally made Rutgers a destination. We should be able to get an A list AD

Rutgers is bound by HIPPA for medical stuff. The message about health stuff would have to come straight from Hobbs. He just received what was obviously really bad news in a medical report. It’s not that unusual that he doesn’t want to talk about it. Also - not every heart condition can be treated with surgery. After what happened with Stringer, maybe he’s happy with where his legacy sits now and doesn’t want to be that guy who drags along a leave of absence knowing the chance of a return is low. Who knows? I’m not sure why one would assume something sinister over something like this.
Rutgers isn’t his healthcare provider. They aren’t bound by HIPAA. Common misconception.

False. Employers too.
Employers are not a covered entity.

“HIPAA, or the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, covers both individuals and organizations. Those who must comply with HIPAA are often called HIPAA covered entities. HIPAA covered entities include health plans, clearinghouses, and certain health care providers.”

Maybe some of you didn't read the nj.com story cited by the OP. Let me give you the key quote:

"In a letter sent to Holloway, obtained by NJ Advance Media, Hobbs explained his reasoning for the decision:

'After meeting with my cardiac team this week and having just been apprised of the results of my latest round of testing, it is clear that I can not continue to serve as Athletic Director given the requirements of the position. I recognize this is not the ideal timeline to depart, however, other factors need to take precedence.'"

Plain and simple, this is a resignation for health reasons. It has nothing to do with baseless allegations of "shenanigans" or anything else. The guy is 64, old enough to have serious cardiac issues.

All of the HIPPA discussion is also irrelevant -- *he* is making the disclosure.

Reactions: Kbee3 and newell138
Employers are not a covered entity.

“HIPAA, or the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, covers both individuals and organizations. Those who must comply with HIPAA are often called HIPAA covered entities. HIPAA covered entities include health plans, clearinghouses, and certain health care providers.”
Keep reading. Don’t stop there.

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops
Keep reading. Don’t stop there.
I’ll let ChatGPT weigh in…
No, employers are generally not considered covered entities under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). HIPAA applies to specific entities, including:

1. **Healthcare Providers**: Those who transmit any health information in electronic form in connection with a HIPAA transaction.
2. **Health Plans**: Health insurance companies, HMOs, company health plans, etc.
3. **Healthcare Clearinghouses**: Entities that process nonstandard information they receive from another entity into a standard (i.e., standard electronic format or data content), or vice versa.

Employers, in their capacity as employers, do not fall into any of these categories and are not subject to HIPAA’s privacy and security rules. However, if an employer operates a self-insured health plan for its employees, the health plan itself (not the employer) would be considered a covered entity under HIPAA.

In such cases, the employer would be required to implement measures to keep employee health information separate from employment records and ensure that only authorized individuals have access to it.

I’ll let ChatGPT weigh in…
No, employers are generally not considered covered entities under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). HIPAA applies to specific entities, including:

1. **Healthcare Providers**: Those who transmit any health information in electronic form in connection with a HIPAA transaction.
2. **Health Plans**: Health insurance companies, HMOs, company health plans, etc.
3. **Healthcare Clearinghouses**: Entities that process nonstandard information they receive from another entity into a standard (i.e., standard electronic format or data content), or vice versa.

Employers, in their capacity as employers, do not fall into any of these categories and are not subject to HIPAA’s privacy and security rules. However, if an employer operates a self-insured health plan for its employees, the health plan itself (not the employer) would be considered a covered entity under HIPAA.

In such cases, the employer would be required to implement measures to keep employee health information separate from employment records and ensure that only authorized individuals have access to it.
See, you are wrong as shown in the end of your own post. RU Employee health (covered entity) and HR have legitimate access to protected health information and need to secure/maintain privacy. The university writ large cannot make public someone’s health condition. Illegal.

Maybe some of you didn't read the nj.com story cited by the OP. Let me give you the key quote:

"In a letter sent to Holloway, obtained by NJ Advance Media, Hobbs explained his reasoning for the decision:

'After meeting with my cardiac team this week and having just been apprised of the results of my latest round of testing, it is clear that I can not continue to serve as Athletic Director given the requirements of the position. I recognize this is not the ideal timeline to depart, however, other factors need to take precedence.'"

Plain and simple, this is a resignation for health reasons. It has nothing to do with baseless allegations of "shenanigans" or anything else. The guy is 64, old enough to have serious cardiac issues.

All of the HIPPA discussion is also irrelevant -- *he* is making the disclosure.
I am surprised you, especially as a legal expert, accept Hobbs’ explanation at face value. Was Menendez truthful ? Nixon? OJ ?

People lie all the time. You know that. Maybe Hobbs is lying. Maybe he isn’t. We don’t know.

It was not originally reported when the news first came out. It just said he was resigning or the news outlets did a poor job of getting the full information out.
It's in the nj.com story, which is mentioned in the second post of this thread. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because I know you to be a good poster, but some of our fellow posters need to be publicly flogged for rumor-mongering.

It's in the nj.com story, which is mentioned in the second post of this thread. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because I know you to be a good poster, but some of our fellow posters need to be publicly flogged for rumor-mongering.
‘Questioning’ is fair game.

See, you are wrong as shown in the end of your own post. RU Employee health (covered entity) and HR have legitimate access to protected health information and need to secure/maintain privacy. The university writ large cannot make public someone’s health condition. Illegal.
Maybe illegal, but nothing to do with HIPAA from an HR standpoint. You’re making the jump that he is being treated by RU Employee Health. No where is that reported. Nice try though.

Maybe illegal, but nothing to do with HIPAA from an HR standpoint. You’re making the jump that he is being treated by RU Employee Health. No where is that reported. Nice try though.
weak backtrack. Not about him, per se, but employers/employee health/HR in general. HIPAA applies. Patients’ (students and employees) PHI must be protected.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT