ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers athletic director Pat Hobbs abruptly resigns

Yes could be a health issue but that normally would have been stated in the resignation letter.

from https://www.nj.com/rutgers/2024/08/...at-hobbs-abruptly-resigns.html?outputType=amp

After meeting with my cardiac team this week and having just been apprised of the results of my latest round of testing, it is clear that I can not continue to serve as Athletic Director given the requirements of the position. I recognize this is not the ideal timeline to depart, however, other factors need to take precedence.

Huh, wow, wish him well with his health. Absolutely the best move for him if he is having any sort of cardiac or heart issues. Best wishes to him and his family and getting it figured out and resolved. Scary stuff.

Wish Pat the best. He set us on a great trajectory.

Sorry to hear it is health related. Hope he is well.

But for RU it is next up. Moving on, the future is bright.

As an executive search task selling this job now versus what we had to offer when he was hired is a huge difference. It was a tough sell then. Now serious candidates will look closely and see potential for something big.

Our recent searches the pool was basically NJ/RU connected insiders of one sort or another. We got lucky and landed candidates from good to outstanding. (Seems I blocked out the one example were we went outside that group and landed a dud.) We shouldn't have to settle for some sort of political sinecure.

Last edited:
Well. Health related is negative for Hobbs.

Yeah, now I wish he had just smashed a couple of interns and had to step down. This sucks.

Don’t think anyone could have expected more than what he managed over the last 9 years. And good for him prioritizing his health and his family over this.

Thanks for everything AD Hobbs. You’ll be missed as AD - but hope you stick around as a fan.

Huh, wow, wish him well with his health. Absolutely the best move for him if he is having any sort of cardiac or heart issues. Best wishes to him and his family and getting it figured out and resolved. Scary stuff.
Agree, he’s was a very good AD, all the best to him. Wish RU would get on bended knee and beg Tim to step back in; although I know that ship has sailed.

Wish RU would get on bended knee and beg Tim to step back in; although I know that ship has sailed.

After the way powers that be shoved him under the bus?!?!? I have to assume he has far more pride than that.

Also agree with point made above - that we have to be in a much better position now than previous hires and we should be able to attract very good candidates

Last edited:
Reactions: AdventureHasAName
"Alleged" relationship shenanigans from his tenure at the Hall.
Either idiot post of the year or you have piss poor sources. Either way, looks like a massive fail on your part
Winner for the biggest loser award ^^^ welcome to the ignore list for your fake news and BS
Beat me to it.

This guy did a very good job. Hired Pike and Schiano and the Olympic teams have gotten somewhat better. From where Rutgers was to get to where they are now was a significant accomplishment! Best wishes in retirement!

I wouldn't have guessed this was the case "the stint of the athletic director with the longest continuous tenure within the Big Ten". I assume that was since Gene Smith retired from OSU?

Reactions: Rufaninga
Tell me about Ryan Pisarri. I admittedly know next to nothing about him. Say he keeps things on an even keel for the fall, any shot he could be permanent?

Well, maybe he has another gig lined up. That would be the best cast scenario.

Obviously, we’re all going straight to scandal, which would be very Rutgers.

Right at a time when the overall athletic department has more momentum than I can remember in my lifetime.
My thoughts exactly

Hope his health situation improves. Best of luck to him.

As to the next AD, I’d wonder about Brian White the FAU AD. His father was an AD at ND and Duke, brother Danny was AD at Buffalo when they hired Leipold and UCF and Tenn when he hired Heupel at both places. Brian hired Dusty May who took FAU to final 4 two years ago and tourney last year and is now at Michigan. He hired Tom Herman for football who just finished his first year. Seems like a solid record and pedigree.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT