ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers athletic director Pat Hobbs abruptly resigns

Hope his health situation improves. Best of luck to him.

As to the next AD, I’d wonder about Brian White the FAU AD. His father was an AD at ND and Duke, brother Danny was AD at Buffalo when they hired Leipold and UCF and Tenn when he hired Heupel at both places. Brian hired Dusty May who took FAU to final 4 two years ago and tourney last year and is now at Michigan. He hired Tom Herman for football who just finished his first year. Seems like a solid record and pedigree.
I don’t want a mid major guy . Go poach someone that is high ranking already In semipro/professional sports .

We are not allowed to have nice things.

When Tardatoriums like State Penn, Ohio St., etc have nice things no one bats an eye. Rutgers has nice things? "We need to find out why."

Why would he leave abruptly on the cusp of what could be one of our finest hours, that he is directly responsible for, unless there is crippling scandal?

Edit: Turns out it is for health reasons. Wishing all the best for him in his retirement assuming he is retiring. Seriously though, go ahead and throw stones if you didn't think exactly what I did. That just makes you a liar.
THats the "Ad Copy" reason. If it is for health reasons I wish Pat all the best. If it is for a better more prestigious job, then lying about it would be very bad in my opinion.

Best case scenario he was sleeping with students or subordinates. A personal scandal but not a university scandal.

I mean, if that was the case then it sucks for him that he's going out under a cloud, but at least he got the action in the first place. Might even have been worth it!
I'm going to bet this is exactly what it is. No way this is just a health thing.

Reactions: scottsdaleal
You don’t like about that
You lie about “spending more time with family “.
I agree. Pat has been a very good AD. I am just speculating that it would be very bad for him to lie using health reasons as the excuse. In this age where many employment contracts have reductions based on certain circumstances that occur health would be one of the ones that would not fall into the reduction category. If he ends up at a more prestigious program or as head of a league in 6 months to a year I think we will have our answer. We shall see!

A possible candidate that knows the lay of the land

Sarah Baumgartner, Texas​

Position: Executive senior associate athletic director for sports administration
+ Has been at Texas since August 2021. Supervises coaches, directors of operations and program administrators for all 20 sports
+ Responsible for assisting each sports program with development and monitoring of budgets and approval of expenses. Oversees equipment operations and serves as liaison to Nike
+ Previously at Rutgers (2013-21), where she served as deputy AD for the final five years of her time there. Was involved in, among other things, budgeting, capital projects/master planning, contract negotiations and donor solicitation strategy
+ Was at Missouri from 2006-13, where she was associate AD for development and served as the sport administrator for men’s basketball. Was behind the fundraising plan to go along with Missouri’s move from the Big 12 to the SEC
+ A 2004 alum of Illinois, where she played softball

Bet you feel pretty stupid right now.

Prayers for Pat Hobbs. A great man and a great AD.
I think this thread is an excellent reminder not to jump to conclusions and post the first thought that jumps into your head. I have to admit, I thought the worst when I first read the news (e.g.- scandal), but decided to shut up and reserve judgement. I hope he is going to be okay. But not going to speculate since it can be a bunch of different things if it's cardiac related. Hopefully it's something he can treat effectively and that he needs to reduce his stress level by moving away from this 24/7 grind.

Position: Executive senior associate athletic director for sports administration
+ Has been at Texas since August 2021. Supervises coaches, directors of operations and program administrators for all 20 sports
+ Responsible for assisting each sports program with development and monitoring of budgets and approval of expenses. Oversees equipment operations and serves as liaison to Nike
+ Previously at Rutgers (2013-21), where she served as deputy AD for the final five years of her time there. Was involved in, among other things, budgeting, capital projects/master planning, contract negotiations and donor solicitation strategy
+ Was at Missouri from 2006-13, where she was associate AD for development and served as the sport administrator for men’s basketball. Was behind the fundraising plan to go along with Missouri’s move from the Big 12 to the SEC
That’s a good hire

I think this thread is an excellent reminder not to jump to conclusions and post the first thought that jumps into your head. I have to admit, I thought the worst when I first read the news (e.g.- scandal), but decided to shut up and reserve judgement. I hope he is going to be okay. But not going to speculate since it can be a bunch of different things if it's cardiac related. Hopefully it's something he can treat effectively and that he needs to reduce his stress level by moving away from this 24/7 grind.

You’re not alone. Were kind of used to it.

Reactions: RUPete

Honestly, it has to be. She was a big part of the turnaround and knows the lay of the land (and who has the money). Things seem to be humming in the department and she would probably bring continuity to all the progress made.

The issue that I think is puzzling people is that unless it is an end of life scenario, why wouldn't there be a LEAVE OF ABSENCE, to see if recovery would allow him to retun say next year. Recall the fball program had DL coach take a leave of absence and returned, albeit in a differenc capcity.
Maybe the situation caused him to re-evaluate priorities and he wants to take care of himself and just enjoy life without the stress. Again, we know nothing.

Maybe the situation caused him to re-evaluate priorities and he wants to take care of himself and just enjoy life without the stress. Again, we know nothing.
At 64 he's no spring chicken and might feel it's best for Rutgers to find a permanent replacement rather than see if his health allows him to return for a few more years rather than find someone that can be expected to be on the job for at least 10 .

When it comes to health, better safe than sorry and retiring might be the safest way to keep his health problems at bay and not be put in job related stressful situations that can affect ones health

The issue that I think is puzzling people is that unless it is an end of life scenario, why wouldn't there be a LEAVE OF ABSENCE, to see if recovery would allow him to retun say next year. Recall the fball program had DL coach take a leave of absence and returned, albeit in a differenc capcity.

Different situation. Without knowing the exact diagnosis it's al speculation.

At 64 he's no spring chicken and might feel it's best for Rutgers to find a permanent replacement rather than see if his health allows him to return for a few more years rather than find someone that can be expected to be on the job for at least 10 .

When it comes to health, better safe than sorry and retiring might be the safest way to keep his health problems at bay and not be put in job related stressful situations that can affect ones health
I didn’t know he was 64 - that puts things in another context. Not old per se, but close enough to retirement age where you evaluate everything in life.

Reactions: newell138
This is my thought exactly. Heart bypass, heart replacement? Serious issues and life threatening but unless he was thinking of calling it quits but signed the extension just in case he had a change of mind, a leave of absence would have been the better play.

You just really don’t see this ever. It’s usually at least initially a leave of absence. But the timing, the forecasted success this year, etc.

This is almost certainly a cover up for something that is at least embarrassing.

It will come out eventually.
maybe covering up he's 64 and decided leave now instead of trying to come back at 65 ( if health permits) and work for a few more years . Then call it quits

I’ve no expertise or insight into these kinds of matters but it seems to me that even with a serious health condition he could have either taken leave or set a retirement date in a few months and assist with finding his successor while still getting paid,

But, what matters most is his health and if this is what he feels he needs to do, so be it.

You just really don’t see this ever. It’s usually at least initially a leave of absence. But the timing, the forecasted success this year, etc.

This is almost certainly a cover up for something that is at least embarrassing.

It will come out eventually.
You don’t see some one resign due to a cardiology issue?

But you’d rather push some mystery narrative that you made up in your head

Creep

I’ve no expertise or insight into these kinds of matters but it seems to me that even with a serious health condition he could have either taken leave or set a retirement date in a few months and assist with finding his successor while still getting paid,

But, what matters most is his health and if this is what he feels he needs to do, so be it.
All due respect, hate that I agree with you. But this is spot on.

Reactions: scottsdaleal
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT