ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers athletic director Pat Hobbs abruptly resigns

Did you assume as well ("we")? I wasn't personally assuming per se. I was trying to give clarity that if something did happen, a PR department might get involved.

I’m not assuming anything happened. No evidence points to anything happening. Doesn’t mean nothing did or didn’t, I have no clue.

I’m not assuming anything happened. No evidence points to anything happening. Doesn’t mean nothing did or didn’t, I have no clue.
I was only busting your chops a little as you said "how bout we stop assuming", meaning both of us. Technically you did include yourself. Your words. As for me and again, I was taking the viewpoint of if something happened, how a PR department could get involved. Not me saying I assume. I'll make it very clear, I am not assuming he did or did not do anything. And I'll end it on that.

I was only busting your chops a little as you said "how bout we stop assuming", meaning both of us. Technically you did include yourself. Your words. As for me and again, I was taking the viewpoint of if something happened, how a PR department could get involved. Not me saying I assume. I'll make it very clear, I am not assuming he did or did not do anything. And I'll end it on that.

gotcha. Fair points. Good chat

Reactions: Knight Shift

Apparently his heart was well enough to fly 7 hours across the Atlantic to vacation in Ireland

4b7c8f50-ca9d-4a70-8147-c8cb37469c14_text.gif

Did a little checking and found this doing a quick google and it seems flying might not have been out of the question once Hobbs received the medical news that caused him to retire ..
these are some things I found that makes the trip look not as bad as it might seem.

>Having heart failure shouldn't prevent you travelling or going on holiday, as long as you feel well enough and your condition is well controlled. But check with your doctor before you travel. It may be advisable to avoid travelling to high altitudes or hot, humid places because this may put extra strain on your heart.<
(this is basically he same)
>According to the Air Travel Checklist for Heart Patients, most people with heart conditions, including heart failure, can fly without further risking their health. However, you should always check with your doctor or medical team before booking a flight.<
Travel and Heart Disease | American Heart Association
>Getting up and walking around when possible is recommended for long flights,<
Planning to Travel? Don’t Let Heart Disease Stop You
>Are you planning a trip or vacation? If you have heart disease, it’s especially important to do some advance planning.

“By preparing well, you can focus on enjoying yourself,” says Benico Barzilai, MD, Head of Clinical Cardiology at Cleveland Clinic.<

• Love
Did a little checking and found this doing a quick google and it seems flying might not have been out of the question once Hobbs received the medical news that caused him to retire ..
these are some things I found that makes the trip look not as bad as it might seem.

>Having heart failure shouldn't prevent you travelling or going on holiday, as long as you feel well enough and your condition is well controlled. But check with your doctor before you travel. It may be advisable to avoid travelling to high altitudes or hot, humid places because this may put extra strain on your heart.<
(this is basically he same)
>According to the Air Travel Checklist for Heart Patients, most people with heart conditions, including heart failure, can fly without further risking their health. However, you should always check with your doctor or medical team before booking a flight.<
Travel and Heart Disease | American Heart Association
>Getting up and walking around when possible is recommended for long flights,<
Planning to Travel? Don’t Let Heart Disease Stop You
>Are you planning a trip or vacation? If you have heart disease, it’s especially important to do some advance planning.

“By preparing well, you can focus on enjoying yourself,” says Benico Barzilai, MD, Head of Clinical Cardiology at Cleveland Clinic.<

Especially if the diagnosis was due to stress…

What could be better than a stress free vacation?

• Love
let me be clear, I’m not calling a press conference simply to deny this, but I would have a press conference to announce my retirement (and, given what he has done for Rutgers , he has certainly earned that right), and, as such, if this issue came up in the press conference, or was a prevalent news story in the mainstream media, and I would absolutely address it
If you call a press conference, then you better be willing to talk about your health issues. If you don’t want to discuss it because it’s private, you don’t call a press conference.

Who has said it’s a “catastrophic health emergency”?
my understanding is Hobbs just said results from a test
>“After meeting with my cardiac team this week and having just been apprised of the results of my latest round of testing, it is clear that I can not continue to serve as Athletic Director given the requirements of the position,” Hobbs wrote in an email to school president Jonathan Holloway. “I recognize this is not the ideal timeframe to depart, however other factors need to take precedence.”<

So it could be just avoiding the type of stress it takes to run a successful Athletic Department .

my understanding is Hobbs just said results from a test
>“After meeting with my cardiac team this week and having just been apprised of the results of my latest round of testing, it is clear that I can not continue to serve as Athletic Director given the requirements of the position,” Hobbs wrote in an email to school president Jonathan Holloway. “I recognize this is not the ideal timeframe to depart, however other factors need to take precedence.”<

So it could be just avoiding the type of stress it takes to run a successful Athletic Department .

This is exactly what I think…

Doctors advising him lots of stress causing some heart issues. Advises he takes a less stressful job or retires. So he retires and takes a vaca

If you call a press conference, then you better be willing to talk about your health issues. If you don’t want to discuss it because it’s private, you don’t call a press conference.
So wrong...I cannot imagine any scenario where RU doesn't publicly acknowledge Hobbs' excellent work here and also wish him well unless impropriety. Wouldn't even have to be a press conference. How about a public statement from Holloway? Also, were there to be a press conference he attends, he would absolutely not have to talk about his personal health issues. That's an obvious off-limits question easy to dodge even if a jackass reporter pursued that line of questioning.

What he would risk, and Ru would too, would be questions about improper activities. Neither party would want to answer poorly and/or later be caught in a lie. That's one reason not to have a press conference or any other official notification and well-wishing .

Last edited:
Reactions: RU_DIO
Yup, my wife would punish me for cheating by taking me on a vacation. It all adds up.
invalid assumption....could also be an attempt to restore a failing relationship after an affair. Just like the 'cardiac' story, things aren't always as they seem. Means nothing one way or the other. Posting the photo even seems strange given the speculation he's certainly aware of.

Almost all of us are speculating one way or the other. One claims to know for sure. Maybe he's right.

invalid assumption....could also be an attempt to restore a failing relationship. Just like the 'cardiac' story, things aren't always as they seem. Means nothing one way or the other. Posting the photo even seems strange given the speculation he's certainly aware of.

So many assumptions in this post. Ugh

This might be worthy of its own thread.

Catastrophic health emergency to resign immediately from RU Athletics 12 days before football season…

But you can vacation in Ireland the next day?

Something doesn’t add up. At all
Oh boy, now everyone is an amateur cardiologist. @MrsScrew is a nurse, and she can add to this. But I (not a cardiologist either) could think of situations where he was told to stop working to reduce stress, but he decided to take a break before getting treatment. Not going to speculate, but I know people who have done similar things.

Oh boy, now everyone is an amateur cardiologist. @MrsScrew is a nurse, and she can add to this. But I (not a cardiologist either) could think of situations where he was told to stop working to reduce stress, but he decided to take a break before getting treatment. Not going to speculate, but I know people who have done similar things.

A quick Google search can confirm that yes, people are advised all the time to quit jobs by cardiologists. This isn’t abnormal at all

‘Cause it’s so very difficult to not engage in speculation about other’s private lives?

Almost all of you: “But everyone else does it, so it’s okay.”

Hm.
You can do better. How often have you speculated about Shelby ? More to the point: Hobbs is a public figure. The spotlight comes with the territory.

Yup, my wife would punish me for cheating by taking me on a vacation. It all adds up.

I just ask Mrs Shift if I cheated on her would she go on vacation with me. Her answer, I would kill you first, and then go on a vacation. . . . . .😐

I heard there was a post on Reddit quoting the head Constable of the Irish Garda Siochana somewhere in the County Clare (at the rocky base of the cliffs of Moher) … he quoted a petite newly widowed Yank woman he was interviewing after a tragic accident. She said “ I was frolicking at the cliffs edge with my lovely Patty when he stumbled, I then pushed, er, I mean I reached out my hand, but alas it was too late, dear Patty was gone.” So you never know.

PS - reading through this thread brought me back to Jr High School… 😉

• Haha
Everything is about messaging. Late Friday afternoon in the summer with no press conference delivers a message. Even if Pat isn’t healthy enough, a brief Zoom or old fashioned conference call would’ve sufficed.

“All - I’m going to keep private the specifics of my health beyond what has already been released, but I love RU, we’re going to have a great year, and I thank everyone for their support and dedication the past 9 years, especially my staff, the coaches and the student athletes. It was truly a team effort and God willing you’ll see me around as much as possible. Thank you and go RU.”

But for whatever reason that didn’t happen. Like I said, messaging.

Patrice is an Administrative Judge for the State of NJ. She is a very nice person.

That information on her employer is readily available on LinkedIn. So now we can stop the speculation on his insurance coverage.

That covers that one then. Not weird that he left abruptly. Schiano’s behavior is what was odd. And even Pike. Neither one of them seem to want to talk about Hobbs.

What circumstanctial, non reddit, evidence??
Al’s post sums it up. Excellent summary.
I might as well share my take:

1. Something really BAD involving Pat Hobbs happened
2. There was an investigation and finding of fact during the time Schiano gave the Big Ten Press Conference. This is why Schiano did not mention him, but curiously mentioned Holloway instead.
3. The investigation concluded and Pat was asked to resign
4. Exit conditions were negotiated and NDAs were agreed to, which might include benefits for a period of time and a golden parachute
5. The fact that the Governor and Holloway have been mum, and Schiano’s praise has been understated for what really has been an exemplary tenure at Rutgers looms large. We are in much better shape than we were 9 years ago. The field house and Jersey Mikes projects remain.
6. The “health” reason rationale was given to minimize the damage to Pats and Rutgers reputation

The possibly salacious details really don’t matter.

Time to move on.

Well done here Al. Way to leave it at “something bad”. Could literally be anything - and as you say, as long as the wrongdoing is specifically on him and the university handled it properly, who cares at this point? I’m with you.

Pat and Patrice were on a date in Ireland today per the post above. They looked happy. How many couples go on a date in another country when one of them cheated? Not many.

Al’s right. It could literally be anything. May not be infidelity. Or maybe they are trying to work things out. Who knows? It doesn’t really matter what it is. Al is right though that Schiano’s behavior throughout this whole thing supports the probability that there was more to the story. He avoided any questions about Hobbs like the plague in the scrimmage presser.

Last edited:
You can do better. How often have you speculated about Shelby ? More to the point: Hobbs is a public figure. The spotlight comes with the territory.
Where is it written that public figures cannot have private lives outside their professional public duties? It might be common for people to think they have some right to know, but IMO, they’re wrong; and it’s shitty behavior.

I have never once speculated about your private life. I have no interest. It’s none of my business, same as with Hobb’s private life.

Reactions: RU848789
Sorry, my post should have been clear. Not many couples would go on a date in Ireland after one of the two got caught cheating. As of now, there is no verifiable evidence that anyone cheated or did anything wrong. None.
How can you be so obtuse? Surely, you must know that traveling to Ireland immediately after announcing a resignation due to cardiac issues absolutely proves shenanigans of the highest order have taken place. Worst case scenario. 😍

• Haha
How can you be so obtuse? Surely, you must know that traveling to Ireland immediately after announcing a resignation due to cardiac issues absolutely proves shenanigans of the highest order have taken place. Worst case scenario. 😍
I mean seriously, the more stuff that happens that seems to indicate the reddit stuff has not and will likely not be substantiated raises more questions in the minds of some posters.

@PSAL_Hoops --you are a great fan and a poster, but methinks you are giving @rutgersal 's theory way too much credence. al's a good guy and an enthusiastic fan, and he gets points for creativity, but IMO, too many people are reaching for something that is likely not there. At this point, Pat is no longer the AD. His private life is (and always was) private. I wish Pat well, and a life of happiness in his retirement. He did a great job here. As far as Schiano answering questions- you missed the part where he said his job is to get his team ready for the football season, not to clutch pearls or wring his hands over why his boss left and how is ex boss is doing. He is laser focused on getting the team ready for the season, which is TOTALLY in character for Greg. Just my opinion.

Reactions: NYSportsFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT