ADVERTISEMENT

Football Rutgers Football games versus USC, Washington both moved to Friday night

Not happy about the UW move as we picked our 2 week rental in ocnj from 9.14 to 9.28 thinking I wouldn't miss any games, but now it's unlikely I'll be able to go to the UW game. I can live with game times being fluid, but IMO they ought to be able to schedule the game dates further in advance as people make plans in advance. Oh well...

But the cost is, the team has to play at 11pm est and the logistics for those traveling to the game are not optimal. Will probably fly out Thursday night. Saturday would have been much better
With our team full of potential All Americans, our superior talent, and ability to run the ball........ USC needs all the help they can get.

I say we win by 30 on a Friday night! And the East Coast wakes up to see the start of our National Championship push.

I figure that is likely but I recall FOX delaying the start of some games the past few years on Fri/Sat nights. I am one of those idiots that actually watches the late games. Also the NHL playoff late games get delayed somewhat to make sure the first game is over. If overtime then they go to an overflow channel.
Nope. I watch west coast football every Saturday night until I fall asleep. Games always start on time.

Wow, 16 Fri night games each season? Fox just announced 9 so 7 more then on FS1 and BTN. Hope we don't get a 3rd. If everyone gets a Fri night, it's certainly better to be on Fox. It'll be interesting to see if tOSU, UM, and PSU get any of those remaining 7 slots or if IU, Wisc, and MN get 2 with another school getting a 2nd or 3rd.
I don't think anything is really surprising except the Friday 11pm start. I figured starts 7-9pm most Fridays with an occasional 10pm if they had a double header between Fox owned networks.

I said back before expansion extra tv packages/windows (as in Friday nights, Saturday after dark) are how you get the more money so that's happening now. I also said I wouldn't expect OSU, PSU, Michigan to be in those slots...everyone else including Oregon, USC could be in those slots. If by some chance OSU/PSU/Michigan found themselves in a Friday night matchup I'd think it would only be early season OOC creampuff games or lesser opponent in conference games. That's usually when you get might get a Thursday/Friday night game with a higher status team but I still tend to think it won't happen or it'll be rare.

I'd be curious to know if there's language written into the contracts to allow those three places to make their own rules. WTF do they think they are?

I don't think OSU and UM have but Sandusky played a Friday night game at Maryland in 2019.

Last edited:
I'd be curious to know if there's language written into the contracts to allow those three places to make their own rules. WTF do they think they are?

I don't think OSU and UM have by Sandusky played a Friday night game at Maryland within the past couple years.
I bet it is.

CBS, NBC and FOX would need to know what games are available to pick and who they can pick. Fox would need to know that they have to put Wisconsin@OSU because on FOX Noon as their other option of Iowa@USC would need to be on a Friday Night.

This goes back to, (Although i can't find the article), there was an article about the Media Contract not being finalized because Warren promised NBC and/or CBS with Title games that belonged to FOX. And in order to address the discrepancy, Penn St and Michigan(i believe) conceded to "something". That something might have been a Friday Night or Non-typical Saturday game to make FOX whole.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leonard23

I don't think OSU and UM have by Sandusky played a Friday night game at Maryland within the past couple years.
I'd assume those schools wouldn't want any or extremely few Friday night games but also I'd think the networks wouldn't want to use high rating grabber teams in those slots as well. They'd probably want them for Saturday and really Fox is the only one who would have Friday slots available . They'd probably want to reserve the opportunity for ratings grabber teams for Big Noon.

Reactions: Leonard23
I bet it is.

CBS, NBC and FOX would need to know what games are available to pick and who they can pick. Fox would need to know that they have to put Wisconsin@OSU because their other option of Iowa@USC would need to be on a Friday Night.

This goes back to, (Although i can't find the article), there was an article about the Media Contract not being finalized because Warren promised NBC and/or CBS with Title games that belonged to FOX. And in order to address the discrepancy, Penn St and Michigan(i believe) conceded to "something". That something might have been a Friday Night or Non-typical Saturday game to make FOX whole.
Yea PSU agreed to a short week black Friday game at MSU (Ford Field IIRC). It was a concession to help finalize the contract. I think OSU agree to a late home game against MSU as well to help. These are one off kind of things though, not sure it'll become par for the course.

I don’t mind 1 Friday night game at home. Especially if it means we get less noon starts.
The road game doesn’t bother me. Follows the World Series game; we kicked butt in 2 previous late night west coast games; and this means a late night for fans, but now I have a free Saturday.
Following the World Series can be a disaster.
If it runs long some of our game won’t be shown live.

Reactions: RutgersSC
Apparently Fox has World Series as a lead in to Rutgers/USC so thats why the really late kickoff.

Could get a huge TV number. Start time sucks though for many reasons.
All the more reason not to have this game on Friday night late.

Are you new to TV and sports? The game will start on time on an overflow channel like FS1. Like happens to plenty of games each week.
F the overflow channel.
The game should not be a 11:00pm EST time start…. In the B1G’s primary markets.
Brilliant decision by the B1G brass.

• Haha
Reactions: RutgersSC
Saturday breakfast and the DVR. Fast forwarding every commercial as usual. $$$$

I don't think OSU and UM have but Sandusky played a Friday night game at Maryland in 2019.
Franklin needs Friday nights free to meet with and shake down his medical staff.
Michigan has Friday night film review with Conor Stalions.
Ohio State? They are Ohio State.

Reactions: Local Shill
An 11:00 PM (at best) kickoff time stinks.

As for a couple of the teams mentioned, tOSU played at Indiana in 2017 and at Minn in 2021 in couple openers not on a Saturday, along with a Friday game at NW in 2019. PSU played away Friday games in 2018, 2019, and 2023.

An 11:00 PM (at best) kickoff time stinks.

As for a couple of the teams mentioned, tOSU played at Indiana in 2017 and at Minn in 2021 in couple openers not on a Saturday, along with a Friday game at NW in 2019. PSU played away Friday games in 2018, 2019, and 2023.
Apparently PSU and OSU do not want Friday Home Games. Michigan opposes anything on friday.

I have no problem with it.... Put on on Weekday nights on a Major Network.... vs 12 games on BTN and Peacock

With our team full of potential All Americans, our superior talent, and ability to run the ball........ USC needs all the help they can get.

I say we win by 30 on a Friday night! And the East Coast wakes up to see the start of our National Championship push.
I don’t think we are 30 points better than USC and I would submit it will be in the range of 35-24 Rutgers.

I don't think anything is really surprising except the Friday 11pm start. I figured starts 7-9pm most Fridays with an occasional 10pm if they had a double header between Fox owned networks.

I said back before expansion extra tv packages/windows (as in Friday nights, Saturday after dark) are how you get the more money so that's happening now. I also said I wouldn't expect OSU, PSU, Michigan to be in those slots...everyone else including Oregon, USC could be in those slots. If by some chance OSU/PSU/Michigan found themselves in a Friday night matchup I'd think it would only be early season OOC creampuff games or lesser opponent in conference games. That's usually when you get might get a Thursday/Friday night game with a higher status team but I still tend to think it won't happen or it'll be rare.
Big blue bloods definitely get special treatment . The league doesn’t even try to hide it anymore .

Big blue bloods definitely get special treatment . The league doesn’t even try to hide it anymore .

Quite frankly nobody should be boo hooing because they get handled with kid gloves. It is what it is just ask Penn State how long 2nd tier membership lasted for them. We are in year what as a member? Just got full membership this season or last.The team could care less and it will be great to see us as an underdog going against USC and beat them in the Rose Bowl.

I’m being smart here. I predicted early on if the teams health is not an issue and QB play improves we can go 9-3 with a 10th win in a bowl game . That’s how negative I am🤫

Lol I never said that , nice that you did an entire write up and put my name to it. Clever.

Is there going to be a Rutgers hotel, or at least a bus to the game from meeting spot?
I don’t know about Friday rush hour driving, $50 parking at the Coliseum, or relying on Uber late night after game..

Reactions: Scarlet1984
Is there going to be a Rutgers hotel, or at least a bus to the game from meeting spot?
I don’t know about Friday rush hour driving, $50 parking at the Coliseum, or relying on Uber late night after game..
Many RU fans staying in Santa Monica.. Hilton, etc. There is a train that runs from there directly to the Coliseum. Easy ride back and forth from the game.

That Santa Monica ( train or tram) is located 25 miles from the stadium yes-no? It’s fairly inexpensive or was but takes forever to get there. A taxi can run over $100 + one way … Uber ? For those who actually go to the game it is hard to fathom Rutgers is playing USC .

That Santa Monica ( train or tram) is located 25 miles from the stadium yes-no? It’s fairly inexpensive or was but takes forever to get there. A taxi can run over $100 + one way … Uber ? For those who actually go to the game it is hard to fathom Rutgers is playing USC .
$2.00 each way on the Tram from Santa Monica to the Stadium. And it only takes 42 minutes.
Good luck driving on rush hour on a Friday afternoon in LA traffic getting to game. A couple of hours easy.

$2.00 each way on the Tram from Santa Monica to the Stadium. And it only takes 42 minutes.
Good luck driving on rush hour on a Friday afternoon in LA traffic getting to game. A couple of hours easy.
Spent many days trying to avoid the 5 when in LA. I do have fond memories though of staying on Sunset Blvd. in Brentwood and walking over to the UCLA campus. Coed city.

Good luck driving on rush hour on a Friday afternoon in LA traffic getting to game. A couple of hours

Or drive in early on game day park and find a fantastic eatery and have a great day. If you’re flying to California to watch Rutgers play football you already paid for flights hotel and a rental car and it’s part of a mini vacation. Most won’t do it because they can’t afford it. The ones that can will plan accordingly and have a blast.

Decided I am going to stay downtown by Union station Thurs& Fri nights.., but Flying to San Diego Wednesday, which I know very well. Surfliner up on Thursday. Friday will Uber to USC campus/Coliseum area early afternoon. Hoping Uber is easy after game, flying back from Lax Saturday afternoon, watch more college football on the plane..

Or drive in early on game day park and find a fantastic eatery and have a great day. If you’re flying to California to watch Rutgers play football you already paid for flights hotel and a rental car and it’s part of a mini vacation. Most won’t do it because they can’t afford it. The ones that can will plan accordingly and have a bla

Reactions: Rutgers Chris
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT