ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers head coach Greg Schiano interview with Kathyrn Tappen

Does anyone doubt we will hear him say ‘it’s a process’ and ‘6 year rebuild’ when we are 1-2 to start the season ?

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Maybe not him but Al certainly will trot out 6 years if things go badly.
I think Schiano and Al coordinate excuses. Al’s excuses are ‘we don’t have a fieldhouse’ and ‘it takes time to develop FCS players into Big10 studs (and Schiano is the only one who can do that).

What is this thing with Taylor ham? I barely remember it from my childhood. It's just a cheap, overly salty blob of pork snouts, uteruses and tails served with runny diner eggs and toasted white bread with a lot of butter.
So you also rant against other types of sausage?
How do you feel about bratwurst? Or blood pudding? How about haggis? Or scrapple?

Yes
No
Gross
Depends
Kinda funny how people will differentiate between sausages.

For the record, I had haggis in Scotland a few years ago and it was delicious.
("modern" haggis, which is just a sausage patty when served - not the whole sheep's stomach thing)

Pork Roll / Taylor Ham is just a more delicious, spicier version of fried bologna.

Which is sort of my issue with it. He's paid to win games first and foremost, not raise good citizens. I certainly prefer a program with integrity that helps people grow over one that churns out reprobates but the expensive football program does not exist as Greg's Charm School for Young Men, to lose games but do it with class, style and integrity. It's an athletic team.
If you listen to Schiano’s interviews, he doesn’t shy away from needing to win. At all.

I am of the opinion that he can recruit and develop good young people, and win. And I think he can do both at a relatively high level.

Have you ever coached young athletes?

Reactions: newell138
He keeps talking about camp counselor/minister type stuff, sending them off to life to be good husbands, etc. I'm not sure that mindset leads to great games on the field and if it's a screen for falling short.
What you continue to fail to understand is that to win great games, you need great players. And to get great players, you need a great infrastructure, like what Michigan has. That is going to take people donating to the football Fieldhouse campaign.

Or you pay players a premium to what they could get from powerhouse programs.
Which we don’t have the capacity to do. So we take non-nil players and develop them to the best they can be. Which takes time.

This isn’t the NFL where there is competitive parity and coaching is a differentiator. This is college, where in most cases you will not have a chance of winning unless you have a competitive baseline of talent. Of course, upsets happen but they are the exception rather than the rule.

Once this is built, we should be a 5-8 win team most years.

• Haha
What you continue to fail to understand is that to win great games, you need great players. And to get great players, you need a great infrastructure, like what Michigan has. That is going to take people donating to the football Fieldhouse campaign.

Which we don’t have the capacity to do. So we take non-nil players and develop them to the best they can be. Which takes time.

This isn’t the NFL where there is competitive parity and coaching is a differentiator. This is college, where in most cases you will not have a chance of winning unless you have a competitive baseline of talent. Of course, upsets happen but they are the exception rather than the rule.

Lol. Hit the needle.

Then he’s not the guy.

• Love
If you listen to Schiano’s interviews, he doesn’t shy away from needing to win. At all.

I am of the opinion that he can recruit and develop good young people, and win. And I think he can do both at a relatively high level.

You certainly jest asking that question. I still want the answer to bratwurst, haggis , sausage.

That was a great interview. Schiano said all of the right things, and he knows that he's recruiting kids' moms and dads as well as the kids themselves. A coach who emphasized culture, education, "good kids" and being a genuine nice guy will likely give us the number one recruiting class in another major sport. Not too long a go, people were calling for his head. It's a smart strategy and I also think it's the right strategy as well. I'm proud to be a Rutgers alum.

Scarlet Jerry

What do you mean he’s not the guy. This is big ten college football not fantasyland football. There’s no one we can hire that could do a better job, and anyone who thinks otherwise is a goddamn fool.

Either people pony up or shut up.
We've ponied up and put up with enough. It's win or good-bye and on to the next guy. Stop enabling mediocrity.

That was a great interview. Schiano said all of the right things, and he knows that he's recruiting kids' moms and dads as well as the kids themselves. A coach who emphasized culture, education, "good kids" and being a genuine nice guy will likely give us the number one recruiting class in another major sport. Not too long a go, people were calling for his head. It's a smart strategy and I also think it's the right strategy as well. I'm proud to be a Rutgers alum.

Scarlet Jerry
Wow Jerry, good thing no other coaches across the country are also recruiting players’ families and espousing those virtues !!! I must admit, he does a better job recruiting non-P5 talent families than all other P5 head coaches. He seems to be the best at that.

Last edited:
What do you mean he’s not the guy. This is big ten college football not fantasyland football. There’s no one we can hire that could do a better job, and anyone who thinks otherwise is a goddamn fool.

Either people pony up or shut up.
For 5 wins? Your words…
There are plenty.

Scarlet Jerry
Those calls will continue from those who don’t think 5 wins is enough most years.

I thought it was a very good interview. He was genuine.

Ash’s last two recruiting classes were BAD and an awful 2022 record could have been predicted years ago. Greg worked the transfer portal to salvage it as best he could.

Al save your breath since most of the negatives are from the same who in the past criticized him in 2005-2006-2007… the same ones hated him back in his initial hiring. The same hate him because he was offered his current long term stint. Do they actually think we don’t want wins ? Stupidity is rampant when a Greg Schiano discussion is involved. 3+ years ago he was the ONLY choice . We definitely see improvement but $$$$ is and always was the X factor. Keep posting … it’s your right as an alum , fan and donor. 6 years ago I read the $$$$ amount donated per ticket holder in football lifetime. Shocked I was well above most of our fanbase. Rutgers posters for the most part talk but in actuality we don’t as someone said “ put up”.

I thought it was a very good interview. He was genuine.

Ash’s last two recruiting classes were BAD and an awful 2022 record could have been predicted years ago. Greg worked the transfer portal to salvage it as best he could.
Yes … yet we have some here who find that inadequate and weak. The man said exactly what was appropriate in this interview. We are as bad as some other fanbases when it comes to castrating our own.

Last edited:
Wow Jerry, good thing no other coaches across the country are also recruiting players’ families and espousing those virtues !!! I must admit, he does a better job recruiting non-P5 talent families than all other P5 head coaches. He seems to be the best at that.
Some don't.
Some claim to be, but it's a lie.
Some fanbases claim they want good citizens in the program
then bash a coach who makes it part of his/hers

Greg makes it part of his roster building because it requites discipline among his players and a disciplined team usually is a winning one.
Jook at the trye of team Greg had after his 4th year in the G1 era and you'll see player made to toe the line and after 4 years of buliding the roster with recruits that met his good citizenship standards and those he could mold into good people ,as well as contribute as players, the 5th year proved a winner and constant bowl bids
Was he 100% successful in keeping RU players on the straight and narrow, not completely , but enough to say he did a great job of it and have winning seasons once he slowly built up the roster with his kind of players

Reactions: newell138
Rutgers head coach Greg Schiano sits down with Kathyrn Tappen to explain what's different between coaching now compared to a decade ago, and preview the 2023 college football season

Great interview. Too bad their network doesn’t want to show the BIG team that plays a 40 min train ride away from their tv studios.

GO RU

We've ponied up and put up with enough. It's win or good-bye and on to the next guy. Stop enabling mediocrity.
No, we haven’t ponied up enough, compared to our Big Ten Peers. Maryland just built a $300M Football Fieldhouse. Penn State is spending 6 Figures to renovate their own.

The next guy would not be able to recruit as well as he does because it is very difficult to recruit to Rutgers. The reason why he has such a strong ‘24 class is due to his relationships and tireless efforts.

Some don't.

Greg makes it part of his roster building because it requites discipline among his players and a disciplined team usually is a winning one.
Jook at the trye of team Greg had after his 4th year in the G1 era and you'll see player made to toe the line and after 4 years of buliding the roster with recruits that met his good citizenship standards and those he could mold into good people ,as well as contribute as players, the 5th year proved a winner and constant bowl bids
Was he 100% successful in keeping RU players on the straight and narrow, not completely , but enough to say he did a great job of it and have winning seasons once he slowly built up the roster with his kind of players
Hattie -

I forget, was it his 4th or 5th year as you say above when we really started rolling, beating Miami, BC, VaTech and WVU?

Also, help me remember what year we finished 2nd in the BigEast ?

So long ago I have a hard time remembering.

Some don't.

So it’s worth $4 million a year to pay a guy for character-building and consistent losing ? Why not just pay a life-coach $250K instead, since winning apparently isn’t important to some.

Hattie -

I forget, was it his 4th or 5th year as you say above when we really started rolling, beating Miami, BC, VaTech and WVU?

Also, help me remember what year we finished 2nd in the BigEast ?

So long ago I have a hard time remembering.

I think Year 4 was the year a car load of DBs got rammed and injured by a drunk driver leaving the stadium after a game and set back the program. So it was Year 5

Reactions: Rutgers8086
The quality of one's post is usually determined by the likes they receive and from who. You have only Shelby, enough said!
That's some rich shit right there
I don’t do likes.

But agree with the person your quoting.
Is KTT8813 the guy/girl in the Geico commercial who gets all giddy by the number of likes he/she got on social media?
Compared to @rutgersal 's delusions, my post quality are Grade A.

I think Year 4 was the year a car load of DBs got rammed and injured by a drunk driver leaving the stadium after a game and set back the program. So it was Year 5
2004 was the tragic accident on the bridge. Schiano spent days at the hospital with one of our players in critical condition. We were maybe 4-1 or maybe 4-0 but it did prevent Rutgers from possible bowl birth instead of 2005.

So in year 5 we beat those teams ? You have a better memory than I !

Year 5 was a bowl year.
That wasn’t my question. Hattie noted we really got cooking in year 4 or 5, and I asked him if that was when we beat those teams. What was our highest conference finish ?

For 5 wins? Your words…

There are plenty.
Far be it from me to defend al... but this is the Big Ten.. we would need some significant.. I dunno.. miracle?.. to occur to get to a point where we never see a losing season. That's not on Schiano or any coach.. it is just the big scheme of things.. where teh money is.. the support systems...

I think we really should plan for losing years by loading teh roster to have a significant experience edge every 3-4 years (by sacrificing experience and depth it other years.. to develop players). But the new "free agency" in college football kinda screws that plan. You never know who is going to stay after you invest in them.

That wasn’t my question. Hattie noted we really got cooking in year 4 or 5, and I asked him if that was when we beat those teams. What was our highest conference finish ?

College​

YearTeamOverallConferenceStandingBowl/playoffsCoaches#AP°
Rutgers Scarlet Knights (Big East Conference) (2001–2011)
2001Rutgers2–90–78th
2002Rutgers1–110–78th
2003Rutgers5–72–57th
2004Rutgers4–71–56th
2005Rutgers7–54–33rdL Insight
2006Rutgers11–25–2T–2ndW Texas1212
2007Rutgers8–53–4T–5thW International
2008Rutgers8–55–2T–2ndW Papajohns.com
2009Rutgers9–43–4T–4thW St. Petersburg
2010Rutgers4–81–68th
2011Rutgers9–44–3T–4thW Pinstripe

Far be it from me to defend al... but this is the Big Ten.. we would need some significant.. I dunno.. miracle?.. to occur to get to a point where we never see a losing season. That's not on Schiano or any coach.. it is just the big scheme of things.. where teh money is.. the support systems...

I think we really should plan for losing years by loading teh roster to have a significant experience edge every 3-4 years (by sacrificing experience and depth it other years.. to develop players). But the new "free agency" in college football kinda screws that plan. You never know who is going to stay after you invest in them.
That’s not what he or I said.

He said the average should be 5-8 wins once the thing is set up. And only one man could do it.

I said there are plenty of coaches who could get us to a 5 win season with the increased budget and better infrastructure that is happening going forward.

Reactions: brgRC90
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT