ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers head coach Greg Schiano interview with Kathyrn Tappen

That’s not what he or I said.

He said the average should be 5-8 wins once the thing is set up. And only one man could do it.

I said there are plenty of coaches who could get us to a 5 win season with the increased budget and better infrastructure that is happening going forward.
there are coaches out there in coaching land that can lead RU to the winner's circle
If RU is willing to pay the price to get a name brand, no one should get upset if Schiano is relived of command if the team doesn't show it's on the way to winning this year by the way it plays .
If no bowl game next year replace Schiano with someone who can make Rutgers a winner and don't pinch pennies on him or his staff.

Reactions: Knight Shift
there are coaches out there in coaching land that can lead RU to the winner's circle
If RU is willing to pay the price to get a name brand, no one should get upset if Schiano is relived of command if the team doesn't show it's on the way to winning this year by the way it plays .
If no bowl game next year replace Schiano with someone who can make Rutgers a winner and don't pinch pennies on him or his staff.
I’m saying for the same price we can get a coach who can get us to 5 wins on the regular.

But someone else disagrees and thinks only one man can do that.

I’m saying for the same price we can get a coach who can get us to 5 wins on the regular.

darn I'm a big Greg fan and feel he's the right coach to build a winner, but question his capabilities of making RU a contennder.
I also feel there are other coaches out there that can bring home 5 wins a year, but wonder if Rutgers would have met their price and given them the tools they had to give Schiano because of the support he received from the RU Fanbase.
I belive when Greg was hired others would have come , but not with the salary and support Rutgers was offering.
RU was a position that they used to used to eother claim they were looking for work orto be used in negotiations for other HC openings

Now like any other HC , it's put up or be gone.
This year put out a tram that is highly competitive, next year it must be a winner.

How much did Pikiell get paid compared to other P5 coaches when he started beating ranked and even #1 teams? Now he has the #2 recruit in the country and a shot at #1. Salary is a BS excuse for poor results.

Reactions: GillesDeleuze
2016–17Rutgers15–183–1514th
2017–18Rutgers15–193–1514th
2018–19Rutgers14–177–13T–10th
And without massive infusions of cash somehow he managed to get to March Madness, beat 4 ranked teams in a row, beat the #1 team in the country two years in a row, etc. Even now with subpar facilities he's attracting elite talent. How is that happening?? So Schiano doesn't need hundreds of millions to build with and he needs to start beating someone already. No more excuses.

College​

YearTeamOverallConferenceStandingBowl/playoffsCoaches#AP°
Rutgers Scarlet Knights (Big East Conference) (2001–2011)
2001Rutgers2–90–78th
2002Rutgers1–110–78th
2003Rutgers5–72–57th
2004Rutgers4–71–56th
2005Rutgers7–54–33rdL Insight
2006Rutgers11–25–2T–2ndW Texas1212
2007Rutgers8–53–4T–5thW International
2008Rutgers8–55–2T–2ndW Papajohns.com
2009Rutgers9–43–4T–4thW St. Petersburg
2010Rutgers4–81–68th
2011Rutgers9–44–3T–4thW Pinstripe
Again Hattie, did we beat those good teams I mentioned ? I’ll be clearer. Or was the league gutted by then, with C-USA teams added to replace those teams I mentioned and with new bowls added to 36. Please put the Schiano’s bowl legacy in context for people like me who don’t remember.

Also, was the Texas Bowl the BE’s #2 slot in 2006 ? Memory hazy.

Again Hattie, did we beat those good teams I mentioned ? I’ll be clearer. Or was the league gutted by then, with C-USA teams added to replace those teams I mentioned and with new bowls added to 36. Please put the Schiano’s bowl legacy in context for people like me who don’t remember.

Also, was the Texas Bowl the BE’s #2 slot in 2006 ? Memory hazy.

Good wins is all that counts and the replacement programs weren't pushovers
beat a #3
beat a #2
beat a #17
beat a #23
but made it to bowl games just about every year after the team started winning
Rutgers fans have nothing to be ashamed about when talking the G1 era

No, we haven’t ponied up enough, compared to our Big Ten Peers. Maryland just built a $300M Football Fieldhouse. Penn State is spending 6 Figures to renovate their own.

The next guy would not be able to recruit as well as he does because it is very difficult to recruit to Rutgers. The reason why he has such a strong ‘24 class is due to his relationships and tireless efforts.
Al,

If Greg 2.0 doesn’t win will you point the finger at RU fans who didn’t pony up enough?

That's some rich shit right there

Is KTT8813 the guy/girl in the Geico commercial who gets all giddy by the number of likes he/she got on social media?
Compared to @rutgersal 's delusions, my post quality are Grade A.
Killing you that you still only have Shelby agreeing with you. Don't sit on my ass watching Geico ads so no clue what you mean. As for Al I will take his posts all day long. He is the true meaning of a fan! Better than reading whiny crap by most on this Board.

Killing you that you still only have Shelby agreeing with you. Don't sit on my ass watching Geico ads so no clue what you mean. As for Al I will take his posts all day long. He is the true meaning of a fan! Better than reading whiny crap by most on this Board.
Try living in reality and not an 8 year promise, then get back to me. Don't enable al's promotion of perpetual mediocrity and "only one man can do it" nonsense. Blind faith in silly mantras leads to bad results. That's not whining. That's reality.

But...we're bad. Big time football is, for better or worse, big money. We can be Ivy League or big time. Not both.
What was our record after 3 years of G.S. 1.0?

Im pretty sure it was worse than the 3 years in 2.0 - with a much harder schedule this time.

I just dont think people get how long it takes to turn around a doormat program. If we continue to be bad this year AND NEXT, only then will i worry.

What was our record after 3 years of G.S. 1.0?

Im pretty sure it was worse than the 3 years in 2.0 - with a much harder schedule this time.

I just dont think people get how long it takes to turn around a doormat program. If we continue to be bad this year AND NEXT, only then will i worry.

This. Pretty much everything that could have gone wrong injury wise went wrong for us last year and the timing of when it happened made adjustments very difficult. Let’s see how things unfold throughout this season.

He keeps talking about camp counselor/minister type stuff, sending them off to life to be good husbands, etc. I'm not sure that mindset leads to great games on the field and if it's a screen for falling short.
Pretty sure this whole thing is a big part of his recruiting pitch, which is of course eminently important to winning games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scarlet83
What you continue to fail to understand is that to win great games, you need great players. And to get great players, you need a great infrastructure, like what Michigan has. That is going to take people donating to the football Fieldhouse campaign.

Or you pay players a premium to what they could get from powerhouse programs.
Which we don’t have the capacity to do. So we take non-nil players and develop them to the best they can be. Which takes time.

This isn’t the NFL where there is competitive parity and coaching is a differentiator. This is college, where in most cases you will not have a chance of winning unless you have a competitive baseline of talent. Of course, upsets happen but they are the exception rather than the rule.

Once this is built, we should be a 5-8 win team most years.
We're contributing money for 5 wins?

you're going by this board? His job isn't to hold hands and let's sing kumbaya, his job is to build a winner and he's failing

your priorities and view of what is important are not aligned with a big10 team
How is he failing? If he gets better each year that’s all we can ask for

Reality check.
Continue to live in LALA land.

• Haha
So in year 5 we beat those teams ? You have a better memory than I !
all you have to do is check yourself.
if you have to ask about everything, you might know nothing.
Rutgers from the time it went big to B1G times was mainly a putrid program , except in the Greg1 era starting year 5.
When Dr.John and Frank Burns were winning RU HCs they played a FCS type schedule.
The when RU went big time Frank Burns couldn't put a truly competitive team on the field with the small time budget he was allowed
Rutgers was a losing program until Schiano made it a winner going to bowl games.
Yet some on her don't care about the past and try to make past winning look like a disgrace just to make hope for the future look like the rantings of maniacs when they express optimism.

I;m surprised some RU fan's knowledge about the program doesn't include past history and post question a suspected troll might think would be a nice putdown.

all you have to do is check yourself.
if you have to ask about everything, you might know nothing.
Rutgers from the time it went big to B1G times was mainly a putrid program , except in the Greg1 era starting year 5.
When Dr.John and Frank Burns were winning RU HCs they played a FCS type schedule.
The when RU went big time Frank Burns couldn't put a truly competitive team on the field with the small time budget he was allowed
Rutgers was a losing program until Schiano made it a winner going to bowl games.
Yet some on her don't care about the past and try to make past winning look like a disgrace just to make hope for the future look like the rantings of maniacs when they express optimism.

I;m surprised some RU fan's knowledge about the program doesn't include past history and post question a suspected troll might think would be a nice putdown.
I knew the answers all along, Hattie. It is you who is in the dark. Schiano never beat any of those teams one time. When 3 left, and 4-5 new bowls were created for added ESPN programming, Schiano’s bowl streak started. Of course UConn and every other BE school except for RU and USF IIRC did win the conf championship. You knew all that but it didn’t fit your narrative. BFD we went bowling. It was almost impossible NOT to go bowling with our suddenly easy schedule and 10 more bowl slots.

Imagine the top half of the B10 leaving, enabling RU to finish 7th and going to a bowl. That ain’t evidence of good coaching.

But now the gig is up. The top programs aren’t leaving and we see the true capability of the HC.

Last edited:
I knew the answers all along, Hattie. It is you who is in the dark. Schiano never beat any of those teams one time. When 3 left, and 4-5 new bowls were created for added ESPN programming, Schiano’s bowl streak started. Of course UConn and every other BE school except for RU and USF IIRC did win the conf championship. You knew all that but it didn’t fit your narrative. BFD we went bowling. It was almost impossible NOT to go bowling with our suddenly easy schedule and 10 more bowl slots.

Imagine the top half of the B10 leaving, enabling RU to finish 7th and going to a bowl. That ain’t evidence of good coaching.

But now the gig is up. The top programs aren’t leaving and we see the true capability of the HC.
when were those bowl games created, or do you just make your own info.
Seems from 2022 to2005 they were the same.
So when you clain to know, you seem not to

2006 was when 4 more bowls were added from the time RU first went bowling in 2005
The 2006 (11-2)team had a final ranking of #12, and the later 8-5 /9-4 records other years would get invites with 4 less bowls .
So your BS putdown lacks the type of facts that would back you up
Me thinks you didn't know, just thought you could fake it

Please try to learn something about Rutgers' history before trying to act like you know it.

when were those bowl games created, or do you just make your own info.
Seems from 2022 to2005 they were the same.
So when you clain to know, you seem not to

2006 was when 4 more bowls were added from the time RU first went bowling in 2005
The 2006 (11-2)team had a final ranking of #12, and the later 8-5 /9-4 records other years would get invites with 4 less bowls .
So your BS putdown lacks the type of facts that would back you up
Me thinks you didn't know, just thought you could fake it

Please try to learn something about Rutgers' history before trying to act like you know it.
Exactly my point, not yours. Let’s simplify so you understand and others see your fallacy.

Three of the four teams he never beat left, coinciding with many more new bowl slots. Only then the Schiano bowl streak. Even multiple BE replacements won the league. He did not.

If you can’t see this ironclad explanation disproving true sustained program improvement and real coaching success, everyone else will.

Fact we play in probably the toughest league and definitely conference in the country. We were in a 5-6 year rebuild . If everyone on this board were being honest they would realize between 2016-2019 after Ash’s debacle we were a D 1 AA at best. Forget Schiano’s first year as a joke. We were lucky to get him back because even if they ponied up more he was the ONLY logical choice. Put it this way… if we fire Schiano after 2024. Does anyone not believe we have much better talent and coaching overall. Other than the Schiano haters onboard who have hated his first hire and this one . What sayeth you?

Reactions: RUbacker
Fact we play in probably the toughest league and definitely conference in the country. We were in a 5-6 year rebuild . If everyone on this board were being honest they would realize between 2016-2019 after Ash’s debacle we were a D 1 AA at best. Forget Schiano’s first year as a joke. We were lucky to get him back because even if they ponied up more he was the ONLY logical choice. Put it this way… if we fire Schiano after 2024. Does anyone not believe we have much better talent and coaching overall. Other than the Schiano haters onboard who have hated his first hire and this one . What sayeth you?
Some will say more time will be needed by the present staff.

That’s not the issue for me. The entire structural elements are now in place for this football program . Recruiting. Staff, actual players are in their infancy. We need to maintain and add for this cycle the top players most of the 2nd tier B1G schools have consistently had. Not looking through rose colored glasses but we all should hope for the programs continued growth and success if you really are a Rutgers alum and fan.

Reactions: RUbacker
Lol give it up dude. You don't like your boy Schiano being attacked so you lash out like a child and insult me. And then whine when I give it back to you. Have a seat.
The “old homophobe “ comment YOU made the other day , had to be a close relative of yours . You must have had a great upbringing . Bergen County ? So how did you become so bitter and detached from reality. Sad , little boy.

The “old homophobe “ comment YOU made the other day , had to be a close relative of yours . You must have had a great upbringing . Bergen County ? So how did you become so bitter and detached from reality. Sad , little boy.
Omg go away old man. If your sole defense for Schiano is personal attacks on his critics then you've got nothing. That's juvenile. Normally I would be shocked to see a 70 year old man act like a teenager online but thanks to the former president I'm sadly aware of how common it is.

Omg go away old man. If your sole defense for Schiano is personal attacks on his critics then you've got nothing. That's juvenile. Normally I would be shocked to see a 70 year old man act like a teenager online but thanks to the former president I'm sadly aware of how common it is.
The only reason I returned today was to show there is a big distinction from what I said, “ a jilted lover” and your inaccurate retort calling me an “ old blankety blank”. You are a very troubled person dear boy ….scary that you proclaim to be a highly educated person from Rutgers and in what else psychology . You know it relates back to your early years of life. You need to have that seat .

• Haha
Reactions: brgRC90
The only reason I returned today was to show there is a big distinction from what I said, “ a jilted lover” and your inaccurate retort calling me an “ old blankety blank”. You are a very troubled person dear boy ….scary that you proclaim to be a highly educated person from Rutgers and in what else psychology . You know it relates back to your early years of life. You need to have that seat .
"Jilted lover" = you don't like someone's criticism of the coach but can't come up with a reply so you insult them. And it's juvenile to keep trying to use my sexuality against me, as many of the RWCJ try to do, and it's passé. The rest of the world outside of Putin and Muslims doesn't think it's a big deal. Only old fossils do. Now take a seat and stop trying to insult someone for simply disagreeing about the coach and then doubling down with more silly (and very unoriginal) insults when called out on it. You should be embarrassed.

"Jilted lover" = you don't like someone's criticism of the coach but can't come up with a reply so you insult them. And it's juvenile to keep trying to use my sexuality against me, as many of the RWCJ try to do, and it's passé. The rest of the world outsude of Putin and Muslims doesn't think it's a big deal. Only old fossils do. Now take a seat and stop trying to insult someone for simply disagreeing about the coach and then doubling down with more silly (and very unoriginal) insults when called out on it. You should be embarrassed.
You know exactly what and why I defended Schiano. As The Bee Gees song says ….” We’re living in a world of fools when we only want them to let us alone”. See you started this several years ago …you prove it with your continuous negative posts . Remember letting it go …. Goes both ways.

• Haha
Reactions: brgRC90
You know exactly what and why I defended Schiano. As The Bee Gees song says ….” We’re living in a world of fools when we only want them to let us alone”. See you started this several years ago …you prove it with your continuous negative posts . Remember letting it go …. Goes both ways.
No I don't know why you defend Schiano. I don't follow you breathlessly, believe it or not. Nor do I care. And it's still no excuse for personal attacks. It means you have no real defense.

"Jilted lover" = you don't like someone's criticism of the coach but can't come up with a reply so you insult them. And it's juvenile to keep trying to use my sexuality against me, as many of the RWCJ try to do, and it's passé. The rest of the world outside of Putin and Muslims doesn't think it's a big deal. Only old fossils do. Now take a seat and stop trying to insult someone for simply disagreeing about the coach and then doubling down with more silly (and very unoriginal) insults when called out on it. You should be embarrassed.
I’m embarrassed for you … criticizing a coach is one thing but you and several others are way over the top. He ‘s not going anywhere win or lose this year or next. Maybe not for 3-4 more years. So as I posted earlier it is time for alums and fans to support the program . It will play out soon enough.

No I don't know why you defend Schiano. I don't follow you breathlessly, believe it or not. Nor do I care. And it's still no excuse for personal attacks. It means you have no real defense.
Yes you do …. It is quite obvious . So I will end it now… 😊

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT