ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Hoops and the NIL

We no longer offer memberships, we do events and brand deals for athletes. We have some set monthly payments from individual donors which helps us pay for events up front to make sure Rutgers fans enjoy the events we put on.

The brand deals is more “real nil” where we help companies become more noticed and relevant on social media through student athlete promo
Geo: you said the impact of NIL is overestimated by fans. I honestly have no idea but I’m curious. Question: can the players take out insurance policies against future lost earnings in case of career ending injuries? I’m just trying to make sense of how a kid that doesn’t come from wealth can pass up a big guaranteed payday that would change the lives of their family, just because they love Pike or a particular school. An insurance policy could help offset the risk.

The former

1. Top 5 star studs have been getting paid since forever. Why do you think it's not happening now in the NIL era?

2. When has it ever been announced who is paying recruits? Strange to expect it now

3. Yes. Yes we do
Prior to NIL how do you think they paid players and got around paying taxes? Best money laundering ever?

Prior to NIL no disgruntled player or coach ever turned informant on a school isn’t that odd?

Strange to expect people supposedly paying millions for NIL to want something in return?
Why do college buildings have names on them?

Geo: you said the impact of NIL is overestimated by fans. I honestly have no idea but I’m curious. Question: can the players take out insurance policies against future lost earnings in case of career ending injuries? I’m just trying to make sense of how a kid that doesn’t come from wealth can pass up a big guaranteed payday that would change the lives of their family, just because they love Pike or a particular school. An insurance policy could help offset the risk.

Great point. It doesn’t make sense
NIL isn’t what many are making but out to be

Reactions: Eagleton96
Which sounds more realistic?
  1. There are a bunch of billionaires out there in a bidding war for basketball recruits - willing to pay a million dollars to guys like Ace Bailey
  2. Every single one of them demands to be anonymous
  3. Rutgers has one of them
OR
  1. NIL isn't as big as everyone is making it out to be, especially among HS recruits
We are beating out SEC schools for these kids. I hope you believe SEC can and do pay kids a lot of coin and have been doing so forever. They are getting paid. The Rutgers collectives do not pay recruits, that money is used for retaining players.
So it is one of two things:

1. These kids love Pike, love the color red and think the RAC pretzels are great.

2. Boosters are paying them.

Why do you think the "going rate" is a million dollars?
It's not.
Where do you think that million would come from? An anonymous source?
That's a complete fantasy. A lot of people are enjoying that fantasy but it's a fantasy.

Geo posted what he posted and nobody cares.
Richie went on record confirming ace had multiple 7 figure offers.

Reactions: Scangg
Great point. It doesn’t make sense
NIL isn’t what many are making but out to be
This is a crazy thing to say given how many people on this board alone are tied into different athletic departments across the landscape. It’s common knowledge there are schools that have gotten to 8 figure NIl budgets in 2023.

Reactions: Scangg
The former

1. Top 5 star studs have been getting paid since forever. Why do you think it's not happening now in the NIL era?

2. When has it ever been announced who is paying recruits? Strange to expect it now

3. Yes. Yes we do
Don’t get me wrong there will definitely be NIL on the table for all the guys… i just don’t like the downplaying of the great recruiting and connections by the coaches. They’re doing an amazing job

This is a crazy thing to say given how many people on this board alone are tied into different athletic departments across the landscape. It’s common knowledge there are schools that have gotten to 8 figure NIl budgets in 2023.
Common knowledge? Post links

Don’t get me wrong there will definitely be NIL on the table for all the guys… i just don’t like the downplaying of the great recruiting and connections by the coaches. They’re doing an amazing job

The irony is that on the football board, the excuse for lack of recruiting is usually "Well HC GS is a great recruiter still. But HC recruiting and connections don't matter anymore. NIL has changed the game and its all about money."

Pretty interesting how one staff is getting better under NIL (built the program first through wins) and the other appears to stagnating (attempted to build through recruiting first).

Last edited:
Reactions: King of S
Prior to NIL how do you think they paid players and got around paying taxes? Best money laundering ever?

Prior to NIL no disgruntled player or coach ever turned informant on a school isn’t that odd?

Strange to expect people supposedly paying millions for NIL to want something in return?
Why do college buildings have names on them?
So players aren't getting paid now nor were they ever getting paid. You're so naive. You might be the only person in America who believes this

Gift tax returns are not public information. Also, NIL is income for the athlete and not subject to gift tax by the donor, thus no need to report it. You don't go to jail for failure to report/pay gift tax, there's just a hefty penalty.
I know what info is public or not . And who is discussing NIL -- that was done already-- an athelete providing a service i.e. an NIL, usually becomes an independent contractor or an employee and those monies are reported and taxes paid along with the usual. However many were discussing nonchalantly that under the table "gifts" in the millions for no services would be handed out by billionaires as if candy. Hefty fines for hiding that and not paying can get you more than penalties. Now if you're
an ordinary citizen giving a little more than the yearly limits you usually never get caught. But for guys like Towers , he'll get caught cause of discussions like this if he doesn't report. Many of us have spent years and money trying to pass $ to our kids legally. Hey even the BIdens set up tons of LLC.s to hide $---LOL.

Check out the average NIL money it's no where millions a year/ athelete.

And by the way I know there are aggregate total amounts before taxes kick in both federal and state .Which I pray are not lowered. However reporting still required over the annual limits.

So players aren't getting paid now nor were they ever getting paid. You're so naive. You might be the only person in America who believes this
College sports boosters and athletes are the best money launderers and tax evaders ever?
I don’t believe it
“Everyone says so” isn’t a convincing argument to me

A) Jeff is on our executive committee.

B) I wish that we had billionaires giving us 7 figures, lol.

C) All the folks giving KTR $10 - $500 a month are making a significant impact as that money keeps adding up month after month. We need many more of them.

D) We don’t offer deals to anyone who is not a Rutgers student athlete. Period.

Best,

Jon

A) Jeff is on our executive committee.

B) I wish that we had billionaires giving us 7 figures, lol.

C) All the folks giving KTR $10 - $500 a month are making a significant impact as that money keeps adding up month after month. We need many more of them.

D) We don’t offer deals to anyone who is not a Rutgers student athlete. Period.

Best,

Jon
I know KTR had a lot of success with the donation matching a few months back but everything has kind of gone dark in terms of visibility. Maybe that's by design on your part, maybe not. How is the collective working on raising it's profile with the general RU community?

The irony is that on the football board, the excuse for lack of recruiting is usually "Well HC GS is a great recruiter still. But HC recruiting and connections don't matter anymore. NIL has changed the game and its all about money."

Pretty interesting how one staff is getting better under NIL (built the program first through wins) and the other appears to stagnating (attempted to build through recruiting first).
The NIL matters, but also GS lost momentum and the recruits and NIL donors have short memories. I’m rooting for him but he’s got some chopping to do.

Obviously lol

Ace isn't the average. He's a top 3 player in the country

Dean getting offered 70k but people think Ace isn't getting big money? Come on people
Dean getting offered 70K = two years of the cost of living stipend + academic bonus + housing allowance (and a place to get a relatively inexpensive apt off campus) + 10-20K of NIL - with the condition being a bunch of personal appearances and social media posts.

To me the success of recruiting is how bringing in new players translates in to winning games.

Success on paper isn't success.

Let's look back in 4 to 5 years and see where the program is and how many wins we have.

On paper recruiting you wasn't a success.

Funny story...one day early in the morning I was getting breakfast in my hotel in PA and i had a beat up Seton Hall baseball shirt. Nice lady said oh you are a Seton Hall fan. I said no i hate them, but I know the baseball coach and he gave me the shirt. She then said she was at the RAC and loved it said and they (Michigan) beat us. She then raved about our guard Geo Baker. Apparently she said you either played with or against her son in AAU and had great things to say about you.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Dean getting offered 70K = two years of the cost of living stipend + academic bonus + housing allowance (and a place to get a relatively inexpensive apt off campus) + 10-20K of NIL - with the condition being a bunch of personal appearances and social media posts.
You should really consider joining premium where some more tidbits about money are given

To me the success of recruiting is how bringing in new players translates in to winning games.

Success on paper isn't success.

Let's look back in 4 to 5 years and see where the program is and how many wins we have.

On paper recruiting you wasn't a success.

Funny story...one day early in the morning I was getting breakfast in my hotel in PA and i had a beat up Seton Hall baseball shirt. Nice lady said oh you are a Seton Hall fan. I said no i hate them, but I know the baseball coach and he gave me the shirt. She then said she was at the RAC and loved it said and they (Michigan) beat us. She then raved about our guard Geo Baker. Apparently she said you either played with or against her son in AAU and had great things to say about you.
Seton Hall shirts should only be used for drying cars after the car is washed

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT