ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers I come in peace

Don’t let everyone fool you, we’ve had a few tough breaks lately:

• Ohio State: Let’s be honest. They caught us coming off an emotional win against Texas State. Coach Ash really didn’t have enough time to gameplan for this one. Come on, only a week?
  • Kansas: Apparently they were tired of the “worst team in P5” label; the future of the Big 12 if you ask me
  • Buffalo: Just so happens they have the next Nick Saban roaming the sidelines
  • Indiana: Look at the game tape. We literally didn’t put anybody out on the defensive side of the ball for the second quarter. Why you ask? Small blip in the radar during our 16 year rebuild. We’ll figure it out.
  • Illinois: We need to keep a few cupcakes around. I firmly believe we took a dive just to take Lovie off the hot seat.
  • Maryland: We managed to put up over 7 yards passing against their daunting defense, but they still squeaked out the win somehow
I hope that helps you out OP. Had the ball bounced the other way a couple more times, you could easily be looking to upset the #6 ranked 7-0 Scarlet Knights this Saturday. But as it stands, just going to have to add you guys to the list as another win:

2018 win list:
Texas State

Wow, fellas. Buck up. I have never encountered such dejection in a fan base ever. Even the Illini attempt to pretend they have a chance every year no matter how awful they are.

Consider that we are known to play up to or down to our competition.

The last time we were 20 pt favorites, we lost.

Dude you guys win by 40 minimum. This is the worst football team I’ve ever seen

What hurts most is that our current coach is extremely unlikely to turn things around, and we are stuck with him for a few more years. It's hard to envision Ash getting show the door, and even if he had the coaching acumen, he's in such a deep hole that it will take years for anyone to turn it around here.

We thought there was hope when Flood got fired. KF would have us in the same spot by now. Ash is finishing the job that Flood started.
flood was 27-24 with 3 bowl games, ash wont win 27 games if he stayed 10 years

Reactions: rurichdog
Wow, fellas. Buck up. I have never encountered such dejection in a fan base ever.

welcome-to-the-party.gif

Thanks for coming by shakes3858. Under normal circumstances, this fan base would be ecstatic to break down the team for you as there are dozens of people on this board that love to get into the weeds about stats and analyze the match-up of the two teams. Please don't judge us on the apathy that you're seeing here. This fan base has been battered by 7 straight years of completely incompetent coaching and poor recruiting, compounded by the fact that the only coach to ever do anything at Rutgers is now pounding our ass from the Ohio State sideline. The fanbase simply cannot take what's been dealt to them anymore. As a NW fan you may understand this as I know you guys have had some bad periods in the 80s / 90s. Other than a decade of decency, Rutgers history has been plagued by mediocrity and it's hard to believe we're back to where we are.

And to answer your question about Flood. His only success came from Schiano run-off. He was mindbogglingly incompetent. Ash has proven to be clueless as how to do more with less and is giving Flood a run for his money on his lack of football IQ.

That said, hope you have a great time at the game.

I remember you guys had a winless season back in (I think) ‘98. I remember your running back was Jackie Crooks (I thought he was pretty good, BTW). I also remember you guys bounced back to win 5 or 6 games the following season. Then came Shea and that amazing win over Louisville a few years later!

A string of bad seasons suck, but things will get turned around for you again.

Wow, fellas. Buck up. I have never encountered such dejection in a fan base ever. Even the Illini attempt to pretend they have a chance every year no matter how awful they are.

As bad as we've been over the years, the fanbase has always pretended to have a chance too.

Until now.

You have to understand it's not just getting blown out by Kansas/Buffalo/Illinois/Maryland etc. It's not just the fact our recruiting has been a joke. It's us facing the reality that we're stuck with this for the forseeable future because for whatever reason, we gave Ash a 7 year contract. Unless you guys can lend us $10M for the buyout fund?

Anyway, enjoy beating the sh*t out of us Saturday. It's gonna be fun.

I remember you guys had a winless season back in (I think) ‘98. I remember your running back was Jackie Crooks (I thought he was pretty good, BTW). I also remember you guys bounced back to win 5 or 6 games the following season. Then came Shea and that amazing win over Louisville a few years later!

Nope, you've got that all backwards. Shea came in in 1996 and was responsible for our winless 1997 season, then a 5-6 1998 season which won him Coach Of The Year in the old Big East. That was followed by a 1-10 1999 season and a 3-8 2000 season, which got him fired. Overall he went 11-44, a .200 winning percentage. Schiano came on in 2001 and led us to the Louisville game in 2006.

Northwestern fans, i want a full share of the money. That is what I have to say.

I feel a little bad for saying this, but this has quite possibly been my favorite thread on this board since the season started. Some hilarious comments here. This thread is kind of therapeutic or cathartic for us.

Nope, you've got that all backwards. Shea came in in 1996 and was responsible for our winless 1997 season, then a 5-6 1998 season which won him Coach Of The Year in the old Big East. That was followed by a 1-10 1999 season and a 3-8 2000 season, which got him fired. Overall he went 11-44, a .200 winning percentage. Schiano came on in 2001 and led us to the Louisville game in 2006.

Ahh yes...thank you. I got Shea and Schiano mixed up. You guys storming the field after the Louisville win is a memory I won’t forget.

I haven't watched Rutgers football recently. What is the style of offense?
Bad. Very bad. Really, really, very, very bad. Let's put it this way, the past three years, if we had a game with 200+ yards passing, it would practically be the highlight of the season. And the sad thing is I'm not even kidding. Go check the box scores. And this is the eighth or ninth year in a row we've had a new offensive coordinator. Except this year, the new OC was an old one. He also ran our offense ten years ago.

You failed to note that Illinois blew us out by three touchdowns a few weeks ago.
Cheers. [cheers]

EvanstonCat, one thing you have to keep in mind about Rutgers is that we may well be THE worst college football team in the country right now, (and, in fact, I highly doubt there's any question about it), and that's no exaggeration. We currently are the Keystone Cops of the gridiron. So bad, in truth, that it seems as though we literally can't complete a forward pass, (at least not to guys wearing RU uniforms). The amount of ineptitude displayed on the field would be hard to imagine, let alone believe, if Rutgers fans hadn't actually witnessed it ourselves, (and even after seeing it for the last 6 straight games, it's still truly hard to process the reality of it all).

You mentioned the last time you were favored by 20pts. you lost. The key factor here, however, is that you weren't playing Rutgers, but apparently were playing a squad that had the ability to generate a pulse, (at least on occasion). -But I think you can rest assured you won't have any such problem to deal with this upcoming weekend. ...And yeah, I know that, theoretically, on any given Saturday any team can beat any other team...but quite honestly, Rutgers disproves that.

Now, regardless of what I've written above I'm truthfully not a defeatist, and RU is my team win or lose. But I've followed the Knights for close to 60 years, and to be perfectly frank I've never seen things at this level of futility before...and believe me, that's saying an awful lot.

Last edited:
@Aging Booster @CatMan2006 instead if talking about grammar behind my back on another message board, how about you grow a set and say it to my face. Good to know aging, that you can’t type on your flip phone and don’t know what autocorrect is. Catman, you should know how autocorrect works but you need to Get a life instead of proofreading message bored [sic] grammar.

Last edited:
flood was 27-24 with 3 bowl games, ash wont win 27 games if he stayed 10 years

Please stop with Flood. He won with Schiano's players and then slowly but surely eroded the program from the inside out. It was a three year colon cancer that eventually eviscerated the abdomen and spewed out came the intestines. He started this mess.

Harvest Moon Brewery is another solid selection, and they prefer non-Rutgers fans anyway.

Harvest Moon is on the permanent ban list for their past history against Rutgers.

You may be shocked how bad we are. Worst Rutgers team since I’ve been watching regularly (1977).

Unfortunately I am pretty much with you in that thought process.

Speaking of 50/50s, ours may struggle to reach $1,000 this week

For some reason, the 50//50 seems to do very well even when the stadium is empty. I predict more than 1K.

EvanstonCat, one thing you have to keep in mind about Rutgers is that we may well be THE worst college football team in the country right now...

....and to be perfectly frank I've never seen things at this level of futility before...and believe me, that's saying an awful lot.

And to think we all had pretty high hopes this year after a small amount of success last year. What the hell happened?

I always look forward to going to Stuff Yer Face when I'm back in New Brunswick. Try a "stromboli" any other place in the country, and you'll know what I mean. That's my recommendation.

When I saw this game on the schedule, I thought it was going to be an Algonquin Roundtable discussion with a peer. But now we have no peers in the B1G, let alone P5.

Even before the season went to pot, I had to bail on this game because I have traveled four weeks in a row and couldn't do a "pleasure" trip at my wife's expense. Now I 'm sure she would rather have me at the game than at home.

Northwestern should run the ball on Rutgers, even with a depleted RB corps. Oh no, did I just give away a trade secret?

I can't speak for others, but NW is what I aspire Rutgers to be. You have a puncher's chance and put together some solid seasons, plus your teams improve during the season.

Maybe we should hire Ray Lucas as our coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: StreamCat
Last week vs Maryland we had more interceptions than completions and it wasn't close. 5 vs. 2.

That's all you need to know about our team.

Reactions: Rokodesh
Sounds like you're in dire need of help at RB. RU has 3 B1G quality RBs, one (Hilliman) a grad transfer. I propose a trade. Hilliman and either Blackshear or Pacheco for Pat Fitzgerald.

Trade Schmade we'll be lucky if Blackshear or Pacheco don't transfer after this fiasco is over.

No one really believes that anymore. 1869 was the high point.

Reactions: cicero grimes
I always look forward to going to Stuff Yer Face when I'm back in New Brunswick. Try a "stromboli" any other place in the country, and you'll know what I mean. That's my recommendation.

When I saw this game on the schedule, I thought it was going to be an Algonquin Roundtable discussion with a peer. But now we have no peers in the B1G, let alone P5.

Even before the season went to pot, I had to bail on this game because I have traveled four weeks in a row and couldn't do a "pleasure" trip at my wife's expense. Now I 'm sure she would rather have me at the game than at home.

Northwestern should run the ball on Rutgers, even with a depleted RB corps. Oh know, did I just give away a trade secret?

I can't speak for others, but NW is what I aspire Rutgers to be. You have a puncher's chance and put together some solid seasons, plus your teams improve during the season.

Maybe we should hire Ray Lucas as our coach.

If it's new coaches you be needing, then we have a wonderful one by the name of Adam Cushing whom you guys would love. He's been with the program for over 10 years now, is super close to Fitz (their kids play together). His OL committed just one penalty this past weekend while giving up just 2 sacks with 64 pass attempts. He's destined to move on to an opportunity that is better suited to his talents, and Rutgers would be a great fit it seems. If he's going to leave, we mind as well keep in the B1G family.

@Aging Booster @CatMan2006 instead if talking about grammar behind my back on another message board, how about you grow a set and say it to my face. Good to know aging, that you can’t type on your flip phone and don’t know what autocorrect is. Catman, you should know how autocorrect works but you need to Get a life instead of proofreading message bored [sic] grammar.
Shakes , I miss you over there.

RU fans, what Evanston Cat didn't fully explain: the last time we were favored by 20 we lost...this year...at.home...to Akron...after leading 21-3 at the half. So we have our demons. I believe we will win, but I would never ever bet on it. Ever.

Thanks for coming by shakes3858. Under normal circumstances, this fan base would be ecstatic to break down the team for you as there are dozens of people on this board that love to get into the weeds about stats and analyze the match-up of the two teams. Please don't judge us on the apathy that you're seeing here. This fan base has been battered by 7 straight years of completely incompetent coaching and poor recruiting, compounded by the fact that the only coach to ever do anything at Rutgers is now pounding our ass from the Ohio State sideline. The fanbase simply cannot take what's been dealt to them anymore. As a NW fan you may understand this as I know you guys have had some bad periods in the 80s / 90s. Other than a decade of decency, Rutgers history has been plagued by mediocrity and it's hard to believe we're back to where we are.

And to answer your question about Flood. His only success came from Schiano run-off. He was mindbogglingly incompetent. Ash has proven to be clueless as how to do more with less and is giving Flood a run for his money on his lack of football IQ.

That said, hope you have a great time at the game.

1. It's NU, not NW. The "w" in "Northwestern" is not capitalized.

2. The bad periods began in the 1970's. I know. I was there. We were 3-30-1 in my four years (one win and the tie were to Illinois--it figures), and the Loss Streak started my senior year (79-80). I never left a game sober. It only helped a little.

I'm worried about rutgers surviving the Michigan game. We go to the road games but we're not going to that one. 84 to 0? If there is a way to cancel I'm in favor of it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT