ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Men’s Lacrosse Set for Fall Competitions

Heard they looked good. It's very early and we are integrating a lot of new guys but they all seem to be great culture fits and are going to give the staff options. Expect to see a couple of freshman get early time. The event was solid. Great turnout.

Fall ball is all about building comradery and seeing the new pieces you have. The staff adding Brown for a scrimmage in a couple of weeks is telling. The staff very much likes to internalize during the fall. The fact they added this scrimmage tells me they are liking what they see enough to see how it stacks up against another team. Unusual for fall at Rutgers as it's always been a time for focusing on integrating the new guys.

It's not surprising the new players fit into our culture. Almost all of they transfers were captains at their previous schools. Guys with leadership skills like that typically understand team dynamics.

On a side note, we have a really good program. From how the guys are cared for to the vibe of the team itself, it's really interesting to speak to some of these guys that come from other schools. We have a really good thing going that Brecht and staff have put together.

Just adding my $.02 as I saw probably 3 quarters of play, maybe less and unfortunately can't add much detail on individuals as I don't have numbers associated with names for the transfers and freshmen yet.

Our offense was not in prime form BUT this is a take you can throw away as the scrimmage focus seemed to be run for freshman and transfers so it won't be the same 10 on the field in February and there didn't appear to be the same level of substitution for offensive middies as I would expect so I think Brian was getting a feel for which D Mids can really play both sides of the field.

We didn't score on the 2 man ups I saw.

I liked what I saw from the goalies, Stoller and Wimmershoff were strong and Wimmershoff had a bounce pass on the clear that was a thing of beauty.

The faceoff battle between Soutar and Brams was tight, I would probably give Soutar the nod to start but both battled. Desmarius will need to settle in, continue to get reps and develop.

C Kurdyla will be a player for us, he was very involved and was inches from converting multiple times so just needs to tighten up the accuracy a little bit.

One of the new players that kept popping on short stick D and in the clear was #10 the transfer from UMBC, I think he had the best motor on the field and just seemed to be making plays whenever he was out there.

I thought close D looked good but TBH I was more focused on our short sticks.

Hard to take away much from that game. There were too many guys either sitting out or playing very sparingly. The best thing was seeing all of the alums that come back. The guys that come through that program care. Many come back to give. I'll tell you what, the alum squad we brought back could compete with a bunch of teams. By my count we had 7 guys who are playing professional lacrosse or did. You know the program is in good shape when you see those guys all so involved. I'm certain it made a big impact on the team.

The Brown scrimmage will be much more telling. As to the fogos, we are going to need both of them. Good to see the competition. Hearing number 10 at SSDM has been making a lot of plays in practice. Also heard Machecha looks like he took another step after a very good freshman campaign. Excited to see what the SSDM's can do when the lights come on.

Reactions: mattkamish
As to the fogos, we are going to need both of them. Good to see the competition.
Yeah you could see that they both want to be the guy and they both can contribute.

On one draw Brams sold out going for a ball, someone caught his leg and he got up a little gingerly.

One one hand I was thinking - chill guys its preseason, stay healthy, and on the other I was glad to see the fire.

Yea it’s tough. We have a physical program. Guys put work in. Only real way to stop is simply not have guys suit up.

Our program isn’t for the feint of heart.

Reactions: mattkamish
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT