ADVERTISEMENT

No. 17/18 Rutgers Men’s Lacrosse Opens Big Ten Play Sunday Hosting No. 13/11 Johns Hopkins

11-7
Last two goals not great
Goalie should have had 1.
The first one there wasn’t much resistance by the d

This team is literally allergic to scoring in a half field set. Like I said, does this OC scheme guys open? This is 2 years now of subpar offense.

Our offense seems like the lacrosse version of iso ball in hoops. But it doesn’t work when the defense is effective and decisive with their slides and our guys don’t pass to the open man.

Reactions: DowntownT_Brown
Unfortunately it seems like next week’s game against OSU will be a battle for 5th place, our last best chance for a conference win.

Our offensive scheme relies too much on individual effort. That can work when you are getting goals in transition, keeping the defense on their heels and play strong defense. But we are not a transition team and our defense is weak. If we are going to play a ball control 6v6 offense, we need to have a much bet scheme. One guy dodging and 5 watching is not getting it done. Hopkins was going early all game long. That should be the easiest defense to beat at this level. But we did not adjust at all to take advantage.

Our offensive scheme relies too much on individual effort. That can work when you are getting goals in transition, keeping the defense on their heels and play strong defense. But we are not a transition team and our defense is weak. If we are going to play a ball control 6v6 offense, we need to have a much bet scheme. One guy dodging and 5 watching is not getting it done. Hopkins was going early all game long. That should be the easiest defense to beat at this level. But we did not adjust at all to take advantage.
Seriously...where's the movement? Ball screens? Backdoor cuts to the cage? Like you said...a LOT of ball watching and ISO in the half field. This scheme doesn't work when we don't have a significant athletic advantage over the defense that we are facing.

Need more two man games. But I get back to the same thing. Lacrosse is completely reliant on on person beating their man and finding the cracks inside or spinning it to the match ups in space. We simply have Attackman who cannot go one on one. You can get away with one finisher in Kulas. You can’t have the third spot that is no threat. The staff sees it. They tried 3 guys and none did anything. I’ve never seen a team short two attackmen. That’s how little fear they have of our attack. It’s completely locking Ross down. He’s a standup kid and would never say anything but he must be secretly boiling. Keep in mind he had four points when he suited up for Canada against team USA. He’s just completely locked down with our other options. Middies are doing what they can but it’s tough sledding. Two thirds of the attack just present no threat.

Kelly sitting in street clothes again is a really bad sign.

Need more two man games. But I get back to the same thing. Lacrosse is completely reliant on on person beating their man and finding the cracks inside or spinning it to the match ups in space. We simply have Attackman who cannot go one on one. You can get away with one finisher in Kulas. You can’t have the third spot that is no threat. The staff sees it. They tried 3 guys and none did anything. I’ve never seen a team short two attackmen. That’s how little fear they have of our attack. It’s completely locking Ross down. He’s a standup kid and would never say anything but he must be secretly boiling. Keep in mind he had four points when he suited up for Canada against team USA. He’s just completely locked down with our other options. Middies are doing what they can but it’s tough sledding. Two thirds of the attack just present no threat.

Whatever NIL deal it takes to get CJ Kirst next year, give it to him.

I would agree in previous games attack was a big issue. Not that it wasn’t an issue in this game but every time Scott or the middies initiated Hopkins slid immediately. The dodgers dumped to adjacent but we never had any cutters. If the first cutter is covered then the backside crease or second cutter should be wide open. But we had practically zero off ball movement. We let them double without consequences.

Last edited:
That a high D1 program fresh off tournament appearances can’t field three dangerous attackers is unfathomable to me. I’m not saying 6 guys rolling 2 deep I’m saying 3…three. That’s a terrible indictment on the staff. Call it recruiting or developing it doesn’t matter. Like Cali said, it’s “embarrassing” at this level.

Reactions: Wagram97
We’re so wildly handicapped financially, you’d be surprised. I expect more, but it’s starting to take its toll recruiting wise. Schools like Umich, UMD, etc dont have the problems we have

This says it all. You simply can't expect Scott and Knoblock to carry all the water. The defense simply slides and double teams them constantly while the rest of the offense stands around in admiration. The good offensive teams make you pay dearly for doubling their top guys. We don't, so that leads to urgency and poor shots and turnovers are the result. I think I've seen more offensive turnovers than ever this year.

Don't think we are going to see Kelly, and next week we face a very good OSU defense. Not good.

What's tough is that over the past couple of years, the one consistent good thing about the team was the attack. Even when struggling at other positions, think 2019 with FO issues (like the game at SU), or 2020 with FO/goalie play (till the season got cancelleed), the attack was still always good. Henningburg/Mulllins, plus others, to Mullins/AC and others, followed by the '21 and '22 teams. Then we seem to be clicking at the other positions this year but for attack and it's tough to watch. The one thing that has been fairly consistent for years just now seems off.

So again doesn’t this fall on Brecht and his lack of recruiting that we lose one man and we have zero depth to replace him

Reactions: Roy_Faulker

I know a team that has had their starting 3 attack on the field together for less than one game this whole season. And have had 2 of the 3 on the field together for only 3+ games. Plus their best close defenseman(Jersey kid) hasn't played at all. Sound familiar?

Yea. And it’s been a lot more than that.

Life in D1 but man are we getting some rough breaks. Feel bad for the kids more than anything.

I'd honestly be good with dismissing both coordinators after the season.

We’re so wildly handicapped financially, you’d be surprised. I expect more, but it’s starting to take its toll recruiting wise. Schools like Umich, UMD, etc dont have the problems we have

But we live in a hotbed. I can’t imagine BU is throwing more resources at their lax program than Rutgers and they field highly competitive teams…or High Point. These last few years you never get the feeling RU is going to pull off a shocker.

At what time does BB’s seat get hot? We’ve changed coordinators how many times and have won a fraction of recruiting battles - and that was the case before NIL became a thing.

But we live in a hotbed. I can’t imagine BU is throwing more resources at their lax program than Rutgers and they field highly competitive teams…or High Point. These last few years you never get the feeling RU is going to pull off a shocker.

At what time does BB’s seat get hot? We’ve changed coordinators how many times and have won a fraction of recruiting battles - and that was the case before NIL became a thing.

Rutgers is consistently, though not always, better than those schools. Remember, both those schools have a much more of a chance reaching the tournament via AQ than Rutgers. The AQ of the Big 10 would easily qualify for the tournament as an at large. Not so for them

Rutgers is consistently, though not always, better than those schools. Remember, both those schools have a much more of a chance reaching the tournament via AQ than Rutgers. The AQ of the Big 10 would easily qualify for the tournament as an at large. Not so for them
Exactly. RU plays in a significantly harder conference and schools like Boston U would MAYBE win 1 B1G game. The grind of B1G season would break them.

Reactions: Caliknight
BU has Army’s number…I think BU has beaten good Army teams multiple times in the last 3-4 years…sometimes it’s a matchup…BU got blown out by Bryant…BU was in a dog fight the entire game with Loyola finally beating them 12-10…

Michigan got run off the field by ND - embarrassed a week ago right after what I’d also call a bad loss at home to Harvard…then they beat Maryland…they have the Terps number…they have beaten Maryland three straight.

Sometimes it’s just an odd matchup…

There is a lot of parity…the margin of error is very very thin.

Don’t quit on these kids…lots of big games left…the time for assessing staff and long term program pivots is after the season. RU needs to have a good week of practice and beat Ohio State this weekend. It’s possible…the mindset right now is playing “one game” seasons now every week…

I’ll point out aside from a hot 10 days last May, Michigan had done nothing in its 11 year existence and the coach was on the hot seat…won three games in 7 days and boom…they got hot at the right time

I’d also add the key to Michigans success is tied to their OC…one of Rutgers own…🤨

Unfortunately it seems like next week’s game against OSU will be a battle for 5th place, our last best chance for a conference win.
Personally, I don't think it's that bleak. Aside from Hopkins, I think the league is pretty balanced this year, if not very strong. There are plenty of opportunities for Rutgers victories, especially as players get healthier (I don't know who is injured, just going by comments here on this board about injuries). Just my opinion...

Oops, I guess Penn State is pretty solid as well.

Reactions: Wagram97
A note about BU. The OP noted NJ is a hotbed. Long Island sends a ton of kids to BU, and not just lacrosse players. They are very well established on the Island.

BU has Army’s number…I think BU has beaten good Army teams multiple times in the last 3-4 years…sometimes it’s a matchup…BU got blown out by Bryant…BU was in a dog fight the entire game with Loyola finally beating them 12-10…

Michigan got run off the field by ND - embarrassed a week ago right after what I’d also call a bad loss at home to Harvard…then they beat Maryland…they have the Terps number…they have beaten Maryland three straight.

Sometimes it’s just an odd matchup…

There is a lot of parity…the margin of error is very very thin.

Don’t quit on these kids…lots of big games left…the time for assessing staff and long term program pivots is after the season. RU needs to have a good week of practice and beat Ohio State this weekend. It’s possible…the mindset right now is playing “one game” seasons now every week…

I’ll point out aside from a hot 10 days last May, Michigan had done nothing in its 11 year existence and the coach was on the hot seat…won three games in 7 days and boom…they got hot at the right time

I’d also add the key to Michigans success is tied to their OC…one of Rutgers own…🤨
This, great post. Still a ton of lacrosse left and a lot of opportunities remaining for some good wins. Plus, one of the best things the conference did was open the conference tourney to all B1G teams (don't know whose idea for only the top 4 teams prior to 2021, but that was BS). Now maybe you get hot at the right time and can play for the AQ.

I'll also take your Michigan and raise you OSU. With all of OSU's resources, they have made the playoffs once in the last 5 seasons, and for that 1 playoff only made it to the first round. Just shows that it's tough to win with all the parity, and sometimes it's a little bit of luck. We talk about '21 and '22, but what if Kirst didn't turn out to be the amazing goalie he was - not a sure thing? Or if Jacoby was a miss.

Speaking of OSU, starts next week at home against them, and they are coming off a game against PSU that they had then just collapsed.

This, great post. Still a ton of lacrosse left and a lot of opportunities remaining for some good wins. Plus, one of the best things the conference did was open the conference tourney to all B1G teams (don't know whose idea for only the top 4 teams prior to 2021, but that was BS). Now maybe you get hot at the right time and can play for the AQ.

I'll also take your Michigan and raise you OSU. With all of OSU's resources, they have made the playoffs once in the last 5 seasons, and for that 1 playoff only made it to the first round. Just shows that it's tough to win with all the parity, and sometimes it's a little bit of luck. We talk about '21 and '22, but what if Kirst didn't turn out to be the amazing goalie he was - not a sure thing? Or if Jacoby was a miss.

Speaking of OSU, starts next week at home against them, and they are coming off a game against PSU that they had then just collapsed.
To your point on all 6 teams making the B1G tourney…

If it was the old rule…Michigan would not have even made the field…hence no run, no hot week…no NCAA’s

Not to go round and round and I’m certainly not gonna make excuses for RU…but it is VERY hard to make the NCAA and yes, you need luck…

2-3 years ago, teams like RU and Maryland struck gold in the portal

Duke and ND hit portal magic last year as the big winners…

Too early to write this year but Michigan had a very good portal offseason and even then, aside from the 1goal Maryland win, they have not been great this year…they might be, but lots of season left…

Good point on OSU…they are loaded fiscally…they have had little success in the last 5 years…

What has Syracuse done in the last 5 years…nothing! Now they are playing well this year but lots of games left…

Its a fine line…almost zero margin forcerror

Again, no excuses, RU needs to play better, recruit better and continue to invest in the program…because everyone else is investing…

Portal activity tappers off this year and next…that will have an impact moving forward…

People need to calm down. We've been wildly more successful than BU. Scrimmages don't matter but when those two teams were on the field together preseason the size and speed differential was vast. These is no question who's roster any coach would take.

Great win for BU. But people need to pump the breaks when making that comparison.

We spend money on our program in the same level as our peers now. We need two things to be truly competitive across the entire spectrum. The stadium which will be done and NIL. NIL is massive in lacrosse.

Hopkins goalie making all those saves yesterday is a perfect example.

To your point on all 6 teams making the B1G tourney…

If it was the old rule…Michigan would not have even made the field…hence no run, no hot week…no NCAA’s

Not to go round and round and I’m certainly not gonna make excuses for RU…but it is VERY hard to make the NCAA and yes, you need luck…

2-3 years ago, teams like RU and Maryland struck gold in the portal

Duke and ND hit portal magic last year as the big winners…

Too early to write this year but Michigan had a very good portal offseason and even then, aside from the 1goal Maryland win, they have not been great this year…they might be, but lots of season left…

Good point on OSU…they are loaded fiscally…they have had little success in the last 5 years…

What has Syracuse done in the last 5 years…nothing! Now they are playing well this year but lots of games left…

Its a fine line…almost zero margin forcerror

Again, no excuses, RU needs to play better, recruit better and continue to invest in the program…because everyone else is investing…

Portal activity tappers off this year and next…that will have an impact moving forward…

Without Tevlin and Fake (Yale getting their extra year) last year ND doesn't make the Final Four.

Dartmouth announced today they just received a a $140 million bequest directed at tuition and will raise the "zero parent contribution" amount for all students to $125,000. It's not just NIL

Reactions: biazza38
Dartmouth announced today they just received a a $140 million bequest directed at tuition and will raise the "zero parent contribution" amount for all students to $125,000. It's not just NIL
So in layman's terms, if a student gets into Dartmouth and their family income is under $125K, they go completely free of charge in terms of tuition?

So in layman's terms, if a student gets into Dartmouth and their family income is under $125K, they go completely free of charge in terms of tuition?

The student may need a work-study job for 8 hours a week or a job during their leave term (all students go their sophomore summer quarter and take 1 quarter off during Sept-June before they graduate) but everything else is covered. Parents pay nothing. They assume a $5k contribution from the student

People need to calm down. We've been wildly more successful than BU. Scrimmages don't matter but when those two teams were on the field together preseason the size and speed differential was vast. These is no question who's roster any coach would take.

Great win for BU. But people need to pump the breaks when making that comparison.

We spend money on our program in the same level as our peers now. We need two things to be truly competitive across the entire spectrum. The stadium which will be done and NIL. NIL is massive in lacrosse.

Hopkins goalie making all those saves yesterday is a perfect example.
bu is very obviously a better team than rutgers this year.... this is why you should pay no attention to scrimmages

• Haha
Reactions: Caliknight
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT