ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers men's soccer...Donigan...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys the Dave Masur ship has sailed along time ago. He is not only the head coach at St. Johns but he is also the associate athletic director so I cannot see any scenario where he would come here at this point in time.

Has there been any word on a coaching change?

Thanks.

I don't see a reason to wait but am not familiar with recruiting/hiring a college soccer coach. Maybe Hobbs has already started putting feelers out there behind the scenes, but I wouldn't do that with there still being a sitting coach under contract or it could come back to bite him.

Unless he needs to procure outside funding for the dismissal and cost of a replacement that is proving difficult, there is no reason this should not have happened.

Like I said previously, I’m pretty sure the paper was wrong, I believe he has three years left on his contract and is not in his final season Otherwise I believe this would’ve happened already. I’ll try to find out

Like I said previously, I’m pretty sure the paper was wrong, I believe he has three years left on his contract and is not in his final season Otherwise I believe this would’ve happened already. I’ll try to find out
I had heard from coaches elsewhere that it was one more year, but they still thought that would stop a move from happening. 3 years is terrifying.

I had heard from coaches elsewhere that it was one more year, but they still thought that would stop a move from happening. 3 years is terrifying.
If a coach has 1 more year on his contract and we cannot let him go because of money than we are in deep trouble. He has got to go immediately no questions asked!!!

Day 8 of the Donigan hostage crisis.

If he has 3 years left, then that's a major blunder. You don't think nj.com reviewed his contract before reporting that it was a 2 year extension expiring after 2017? Even if he has 3 years left on his contract, he makes $140,000/yr, so pay the $420,000 buyout over the next 3 years & move on yesterday.

If he has 3 years left, then that's a major blunder. You don't think nj.com reviewed his contract before reporting that it was a 2 year extension expiring after 2017? Even if he has 3 years left on his contract, he makes $140,000/yr, so pay the $420,000 buyout over the next 3 years & move on yesterday.
Julie Hermann with a parting gift before getting the axe?

Usually a buyout clause is not the full amount either way we have to move on and get this program back where it belongs

Reactions: Leonard23
If he is staying,should Pat Hobbs say something so recruiting can get some life to it.

I don’t think he’s going anywhere. If they were going to make a move why would they wait this long? It is a puzzling decision to not release him but it looks like that is what Hobbs’s intention is. He should at least be held accountable by making some kind of statement about the situation. Wish the ledger or Trentonian would publish an article about this mess.

I don’t think he’s going anywhere. If they were going to make a move why would they wait this long? It is a puzzling decision to not release him but it looks like that is what Hobbs’s intention is. He should at least be held accountable by making some kind of statement about the situation. Wish the ledger or Trentonian would publish an article about this mess.

Just a guess but perhaps he would not be let go until Hobbs found a suitable replacemenr. Just a thought not solid info.

Just a guess but perhaps he would not be let go until Hobbs found a suitable replacemenr. Just a thought not solid info.
That would make sense. I guess my thinking is that Hobbs has had ample time through this season that never had a bright spot, to have been working on a replacement. Especially because coming into the season things already were shaky. Since there is really no reason for Donigan to still be here and that’s been known for awhile, why not put the new person in place ASAP to then get winter and spring workouts going under a new regime. Also the recruiting might be able to be somewhat salvaged if a replacement was to step in now. But you may be right in that these things are not necessarily easy processes to complete. I just have a feeling that for some reason Hobbs is going to give him another year.

If you do not fire him first than our you going to bring in the proper pool of possible replacements if you cant even advertise the job so to speak. He must be let go immediately Hobbs has really blown this one already by keeping him here this year.

I am starting to think he is staying as well. I don't think you keep him around while looking. As I speculated earlier the only other scenario that makes sense is that he is owed more money than we think and Barchi is not covering it. Thus Hobbs needs to find it before making a change.

If Donigan doesn't get fired, this is the classic example of why our sports programs have always been poor. We always do things on the cheap. Then when it's time to cut bait, we wait a year or two too long. So instead of digging out of a small ditch, we are climbing out of a giant crater. There is absolutely no reason for him to not get fired. None.

I can't see how he would still have 3 years left after this year. Counting this year that would make 4 and last year would be 5. If we gave him an extension before last year that gave him 5 years total at that point, then our administration should be up for a public flogging in the middle of Yurcak Stadium. This program should be a top 15 team annually with all of the talent in NJ, Eastern PA, NY and MD. Absolutely terrible where we are at at this point. Pay the guy off and get him out. Start acting like a B1G program.

Every day that goes by is a day lost in the traction and momentum that a new coaching staff could be gaining with respect to recruiting and implementing their system, culture, etc. This is truly a sad state of affairs for Rutgers Soccer.

C'mon Hobbs....just do it!

If Donigan doesn't get fired, this is the classic example of why our sports programs have always been poor. We always do things on the cheap. Then when it's time to cut bait, we wait a year or two too long. So instead of digging out of a small ditch, we are climbing out of a giant crater. There is absolutely no reason for him to not get fired. None.

I can't see how he would still have 3 years left after this year. Counting this year that would make 4 and last year would be 5. If we gave him an extension before last year that gave him 5 years total at that point, then our administration should be up for a public flogging in the middle of Yurcak Stadium. This program should be a top 15 team annually with all of the talent in NJ, Eastern PA, NY and MD. Absolutely terrible where we are at at this point. Pay the guy off and get him out. Start acting like a B1G program.
Every day that goes by is a day lost in the traction and momentum that a new coaching staff could be gaining with respect to recruiting and implementing their system, culture, etc. This is truly a sad state of affairs for Rutgers Soccer.

C'mon Hobbs....just do it!

I wonder if Donigan and Hobbs have a friendly history that goes back some years. There must be some reason like this that flies in the face of rationality that might best explain what is going on here. Just thinking about this situation from an athletic coaching standpoint, how can a coach legitimately hold his players accountable for their play if the players can see that he is not being held accountable for his coaching?

I'm going to say it again: I'm 99% sure that Danny has 3 years left on his contract and - IF SO - there is no way in hell Hobbs is firing him at this point (regardless of if he deserves to be fired or not...) and anybody here who follows RU athletics, knowing full-well we still have major $$$ issues due to the fact that we're nowhere near being a fully-vested member of the B1G, should know damn well that we're not firing anyone with 3 years left on a deal UNLESS someone steps up with the $$$ to do so. Also, again "if so" - I'm pretty sure on this but not 100% positive - the deal was an extension of his original contract and done by the previous administration (not by Hobbs).

Don't shoot the messenger, I agree that Dan has not gotten the job done here, just trying to clarify some things.

I'm going to say it again: I'm 99% sure that Danny has 3 years left on his contract and - IF SO - there is no way in hell Hobbs is firing him at this point (regardless of if he deserves to be fired or not...) and anybody here who follows RU athletics, knowing full-well we still have major $$$ issues due to the fact that we're nowhere near being a fully-vested member of the B1G, should know damn well that we're not firing anyone with 3 years left on a deal UNLESS someone steps up with the $$$ to do so. Also, again "if so" - I'm pretty sure on this but not 100% positive - the deal was an extension of his original contract and done by the previous administration (not by Hobbs).

Don't shoot the messenger, I agree that Dan has not gotten the job done here, just trying to clarify some things.
Julie Hermann...haunting us even 2 years after we fire her.

I wonder if Donigan and Hobbs have a friendly history that goes back some years. There must be some reason like this that flies in the face of rationality that might best explain what is going on here. Just thinking about this situation from an athletic coaching standpoint, how can a coach legitimately hold his players accountable for their play if the players can see that he is not being held accountable for his coaching?

I don't believe they have any pre-existing relationship. I think Hobbs has been great so far. But one thing about him is that he is going to move in a conservative fashion when it comes to making changes with coaches especially with the fiscal climate this school operates under from outside pressures. It's understandable but I believe he can't let it tie his hands to making changes like these. We must act like a major college program in how we handle the failure of our coaches and programs. Conservative and prudent is fine, but when it's time, it's time. Get it done.

I don't think this is a done deal yet either way that Donigan returns or is let go. Men's Soccer should be a flagship sport for this athletic department. We have a history of success. We are surrounded by talent and in a great conference. If is about money, he needs to find a way to get this done. We're all watching Hobbs on this one because we all know what needs and has to be done.

I've attached an article from NJ.com from March 2017. Here is an excerpt about Donigan's contract if you don't want to click:

" Dan Donigan (men's soccer)
In 2016, Rutgers men’s soccer coach Dan Donigan earned $139,340.

His initial four-year contract signed in July 2012 paid him a base salary of $120,000. In February 2016, he agreed to a two-year extension through the 2017 season. His current base salary is $140,000. If he met all of his incentives for on-field and academic achievements, Donigan could earn an additional $56,000.

Donigan is the second-lowest paid men’s soccer coach in the Big Ten, with the median salary standing at $235,500. Maryland’s Sasho Cirovski is the highest-paid Big Ten coach at $649,120."

I don't know whats left but Hobbs just needs to find a way to get it done.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i..._how_much_rutgers_coaches_earn_and_where.html

Not-for-nothing....BUT....a lot of the same guys in this thread were screaming about the Field Hockey coach, and have been screaming about the women's lax coach as well, for years now, however....

...Field Hockey came *this* close to making the NCAA's (only a 16-team field) for the first time since 1986, finishing 21st in the RPI following a huge breakout season in the B1G, finishing 5th (out of 9 teams) with an incredibly young and talented roster.

...women's lax, IIRC, started showing some signs of life while playing a schedule absolutely loaded with Top 20 programs.

I'm not saying Dan is the answer, or will turn this around, just pointing that sometimes maybe we don't always know more - or better - than the other guy knows. [cheers]

I've attached an article from NJ.com from March 2017. Here is an excerpt about Donigan's contract if you don't want to click:

" Dan Donigan (men's soccer)
In 2016, Rutgers men’s soccer coach Dan Donigan earned $139,340.

His initial four-year contract signed in July 2012 paid him a base salary of $120,000. In February 2016, he agreed to a two-year extension through the 2017 season. His current base salary is $140,000. If he met all of his incentives for on-field and academic achievements, Donigan could earn an additional $56,000.

Donigan is the second-lowest paid men’s soccer coach in the Big Ten, with the median salary standing at $235,500. Maryland’s Sasho Cirovski is the highest-paid Big Ten coach at $649,120."

I don't know whats left but Hobbs just needs to find a way to get it done.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i..._how_much_rutgers_coaches_earn_and_where.html

So if his contract is up as per the article excerpt, then there doesn't appear to be a financial hurdle to overcome by Hobbs.

Just need to get some new blood in there and move forward.

Not-for-nothing....BUT....a lot of the same guys in this thread were screaming about the Field Hockey coach, and have been screaming about the women's lax coach as well, for years now, however....

...Field Hockey came *this* close to making the NCAA's (only a 16-team field) for the first time since 1986, finishing 21st in the RPI following a huge breakout season in the B1G, finishing 5th (out of 9 teams) with an incredibly young and talented roster.

...women's lax, IIRC, started showing some signs of life while playing a schedule absolutely loaded with Top 20 programs.

I'm not saying Dan is the answer, or will turn this around, just pointing that sometimes maybe we don't always know more - or better - than the other guy knows. [cheers]
I know you're personal friends with the guy, but he came in dead last in the B1G 2 years in a row. Far cry from FH or Womens lax which were hovering around .500 or so.

FH and Women's Lax have no historical success. The expectations for those programs is much, much lower right now.

Men's soccer has had final four and numerous NCAA appearances. For that program to die on the vine and post dead last two years in a row, in very embarrassing fashion, all while players transfer out and recruiting is not very good, isn't acceptable.

One thing that needs to happen either way is the soccer alums needs to step up their donation game. When a program is most down is when they are most needed, but the hardest time to raise money.

I wonder how well Men's Soccer letterwinners from the recent or distant past are connected to the program today and if the A.D. has been successful over the years at cultivating donors from that group.

FH and Women's Lax have no historical success. The expectations for those programs is much, much lower right now.

Men's soccer has had final four and numerous NCAA appearances. For that program to die on the vine and post dead last two years in a row, in very embarrassing fashion, all while players transfer out and recruiting is not very good, isn't acceptable.

One thing that needs to happen either way is the soccer alums needs to step up their donation game. When a program is most down is when they are most needed, but the hardest time to raise money.

A few things:

- the "glory" of this program ended a very long time ago, under the same guy who got it there, mainly because he refused to evolve, to change with the times, much like a lot of other long-tenured coaches OTB. Rutgers only made it to the Sweet 16, IIRC, twice after '94 and not the Elite 8 a single time? Just going off the top of my head may be wrong with those #'s.

- by the time Bob retired RU was in a very bad place with not only the big-time high schools in NJ but, more importantly, with the club teams

- Dan DID take us to an NCAA 2nd round in 2015, finishing 29th in the RPI and to the semi's of the B1G's after finishing 4th in conference play that season but, typically, the haters here continually forget that season.

..unfortunately injuries have crushed this program the last couple of years, along with some very unfortunate transfers - no question - but it is what it is and, you're right, this program SHOULD be a perennial powerhouse. Just pointing out that, well, it's been a damn long time since we have been, unfortunately, but it's not just on Dan.

I wonder how well Men's Soccer letterwinners from the recent or distant past are connected to the program today and if the A.D. has been successful over the years at cultivating donors from that group.

The AD has been here for 2 years. The "glory days" Reasso era guys, from what I've seen/heard, have donating habits similar to those of the Schiano-era football guys (see:not much to talk write home about) Obliviously there are exceptions as has been the case with the donations, IIRC from a former player's family (now deceased?) - for the new practice fields.

2nd round or not 2 years ago, he hasn't won a B1G game in 2 years. He lost 6-2 to the 2nd worst B1G team at home in humiliating fashion in his 8th year as HC. Would you at least acknowledge the fact that coaches in his position should be terminated? Because frankly, you sound like a Floodie around this time 2 years ago defending Flood.

A few things:

- the "glory" of this program ended a very long time ago, under the same guy who got it there, mainly because he refused to evolve, to change with the times, much like a lot of other long-tenured coaches OTB. Rutgers only made it to the Sweet 16, IIRC, twice after '94 and not the Elite 8 a single time? Just going off the top of my head may be wrong with those #'s.

- by the time Bob retired RU was in a very bad place with not only the big-time high schools in NJ but, more importantly, with the club teams

- Dan DID take us to an NCAA 2nd round in 2015, finishing 29th in the RPI and to the semi's of the B1G's after finishing 4th in conference play that season but, typically, the haters here continually forget that season.

..unfortunately injuries have crushed this program the last couple of years, along with some very unfortunate transfers - no question - but it is what it is and, you're right, this program SHOULD be a perennial powerhouse. Just pointing out that, well, it's been a damn long time since we have been, unfortunately, but it's not just on Dan.

Can't agree with that. When a program loses players, isn't recruiting, and isn't sniffing the success that had been reached by the previous coach, as long ago as that was, it's most certainly on the coach. There may be some other factors at play, but you can't look at those factors, along with coming in last place two years in a row with horrible loses all over the place, and say that doesn't fall squarely on the head coach.

I know MSOC is viewed very highly in the department. I don't know what is going on behind the scenes, but I would be shocked if Donigan is coaching at Rutgers next season based on his results. Seems like a lifeline was given this season and it wasn't grabbed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT