ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers men's soccer...Donigan...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't agree with that. When a program loses players, isn't recruiting, and isn't sniffing the success that had been reached by the previous coach, as long ago as that was, it's most certainly on the coach. There may be some other factors at play, but you can't look at those factors, along with coming in last place two years in a row with horrible loses all over the place, and say that doesn't fall squarely on the head coach.

What can't you "agree" with? The fact that the program had been on a downhill trajectory, for years, under Reasso? I'm not sure I'm following you here? Dan DID get us back to the NCAA 2nd round, finishing 4th in the B1G, just 2 seasons ago. It's been the past 2 years that, without question, have turned disastrous due to injuries an recruiting but there is also absolutely ZERO question that recruiting had already started taking major hits the last decade or so under Reasso.

BTW nowhere - not once - have I stated that the last 2 years don't fall squarely on Dan REGARDLESS of the injuries and transfers. They do, and quite honestly, he accepts that and owns up to it. I promise you that much.

The AD has been here for 2 years. The "glory days" Reasso era guys, from what I've seen/heard, have donating habits similar to those of the Schiano-era football guys (see:not much to talk write home about) Obliviously there are exceptions as has been the case with the donations, IIRC from a former player's family (now deceased?) - for the new practice fields.

Understood. By saying A.D. and "over the years", I was actually referring to the athletic department in general over the course of time, not the current director in the past couple of years.

That said, not surprised I guess to hear that former players haven't been that generous. I also wouldn't be surprised if relationships between them and the university/department/program haven't been fostered or maintained. Leads to a state of apathy when things don't go well for a sustained period.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Understood. By saying A.D. and "over the years", I was actually referring to the athletic department in general over the course of time, not the current director in the past couple of years.

That said, not surprised I guess to hear that former players haven't been that generous. I also wouldn't be surprised if relationships between them and the university/department/program haven't been fostered or maintained. Leads to a state of apathy when things don't go well for a sustained period.

While definitely a part of it I think maybe there's more to it than the athletic department's side and/or apathy hence my comments re: Schiano-era football players (especially the ones in or previously in the NFL).

Reactions: RUnTeX
I'm going to say it again: I'm 99% sure that Danny has 3 years left on his contract and - IF SO - there is no way in hell Hobbs is firing him at this point (regardless of if he deserves to be fired or not...) and anybody here who follows RU athletics, knowing full-well we still have major $$$ issues due to the fact that we're nowhere near being a fully-vested member of the B1G, should know damn well that we're not firing anyone with 3 years left on a deal UNLESS someone steps up with the $$$ to do so. Also, again "if so" - I'm pretty sure on this but not 100% positive - the deal was an extension of his original contract and done by the previous administration (not by Hobbs).

Don't shoot the messenger, I agree that Dan has not gotten the job done here, just trying to clarify some things.
Why do you keep posting this & ignoring that nj.com posted his contract extensions was through 2017? Crickets when I keep asking. You don't think nj.com filed an OPRA request to review his contract extension before writing the article?
Not-for-nothing....BUT....a lot of the same guys in this thread were screaming about the Field Hockey coach, and have been screaming about the women's lax coach as well, for years now, however....

...Field Hockey came *this* close to making the NCAA's (only a 16-team field) for the first time since 1986, finishing 21st in the RPI following a huge breakout season in the B1G, finishing 5th (out of 9 teams) with an incredibly young and talented roster.

...women's lax, IIRC, started showing some signs of life while playing a schedule absolutely loaded with Top 20 programs.

I'm not saying Dan is the answer, or will turn this around, just pointing that sometimes maybe we don't always know more - or better - than the other guy knows. [cheers]

A few things:

- the "glory" of this program ended a very long time ago, under the same guy who got it there, mainly because he refused to evolve, to change with the times, much like a lot of other long-tenured coaches OTB. Rutgers only made it to the Sweet 16, IIRC, twice after '94 and not the Elite 8 a single time? Just going off the top of my head may be wrong with those #'s.

- by the time Bob retired RU was in a very bad place with not only the big-time high schools in NJ but, more importantly, with the club teams

- Dan DID take us to an NCAA 2nd round in 2015, finishing 29th in the RPI and to the semi's of the B1G's after finishing 4th in conference play that season but, typically, the haters here continually forget that season.

..unfortunately injuries have crushed this program the last couple of years, along with some very unfortunate transfers - no question - but it is what it is and, you're right, this program SHOULD be a perennial powerhouse. Just pointing out that, well, it's been a damn long time since we have been, unfortunately, but it's not just on Dan.

What can't you "agree" with? The fact that the program had been on a downhill trajectory, for years, under Reasso? I'm not sure I'm following you here? Dan DID get us back to the NCAA 2nd round, finishing 4th in the B1G, just 2 seasons ago. It's been the past 2 years that, without question, have turned disastrous due to injuries an recruiting but there is also absolutely ZERO question that recruiting had already started taking major hits the last decade or so under Reasso.

BTW nowhere - not once - have I stated that the last 2 years don't fall squarely on Dan REGARDLESS of the injuries and transfers. They do, and quite honestly, he accepts that and owns up to it. I promise you that much.
You're friends, we get it, but the overwhelming evidence supports firing yesterday. He has 2 winning seasons in 7 years & 1 of those was with mostly Reasso's players in his 1st season. He chased away top players Corboz & Wright, isn't recruiting well enough & the style & play on the field is abysmal. What else do you need to see? The money is peanuts, if he's even owed anything, which he may not be based on the nj.com article. If we're too cheap to eat $140,000, $280,000 or $420,000, then we should stop playing.

Why do you keep posting this & ignoring that nj.com posted his contract extensions was through 2017? Crickets when I keep asking. You don't think nj.com filed an OPRA request to review his contract extension before writing the article?

Crickets? I've answered the question already: I've been told it's 3 years. I don't have to answer, again, just for to appease you, sorry. Now...that being said...since when is everything the SL prints correct? You're kidding, right? Maybe they are - who knows - but the people telling me 3 years have ZERO reason to lie to ma. Just sayin'.

You're friends, we get it, but the overwhelming evidence supports firing yesterday. He has 2 winning seasons in 7 years & 1 of those was with mostly Reasso's players in his 1st season. He chased away top players Corboz & Wright, isn't recruiting well enough & the style & play on the field is abysmal. What else do you need to see? The money is peanuts, if he's even owed anything, which he may not be based on the nj.com article. If we're too cheap to eat $140,000, $280,000 or $420,000, then we should stop playing.

He didn't "chase away" Corboz and Wright. They CHOSE to leave on their own (maybe they didn't like DD, however, that's far from "chasing them away."

I'm gonna say it for like the 80th time the past 12 months or so since, apparently, some of you just don't listen:

IF Dan is let go - for whatever reason - I am not going to argue against it at this point. Been saying it for a year now about the 2017 season!

...my ****ing Lord some of you guys I swear SMDH.

I'm gonna say it for like the 80th time the past 12 months or so since, apparently, some of you just don't listen:

IF Dan is let go - for whatever reason - I am not going to argue against it at this point. Been saying it for a year now about the 2017 season!

...my ****ing Lord some of you guys I swear SMDH.
What? You have reading comprehension issues, and you still haven't answered my question, which is about the contract expiring in 2017, as reported by nj.com or some magical undisclosed 3 more years that you posted. I never posted anything about you having a problem with him being fired.

What? You have reading comprehension issues, and you still haven't answered my question, which is about the contract expiring in 2017, as reported by nj.com or some magical undisclosed 3 more years that you posted. I never posted anything about you having a problem with him being fired.

Actually I quite clearly answered your question about NJ.com you may want to read the response again and look just below your initial comments in "bold and italics." Don't ever question my reading comprehension again, thanks.

The "him being fired" part is just a general statement to all.

What I find most baffling about all of this is NO ONE has ANY idea what his current contract terms are, because IF his contract was up, we should know if he was renewed or not.

Where is a soccer insider when we need 'em...

Actually I quite clearly answered your question about NJ.com you may want to read the response again and look just below your initial comments in "bold and italics." Don't ever question my reading comprehension again, thanks.

The "him being fired" part is just a general statement to all.
I guess I'm talking to a wall. Nowhere in this entire thread did you address my comments/questions asking why you think your info of some 5 year extension is accurate when nj.com reported it was 2 years ending in 2017. You don't think they filed an OPRA request to review the contract before reporting the extension terms?

I guess I'm talking to a wall. Nowhere in this entire thread did you address my comments/questions asking why you think your info of some 5 year extension is accurate when nj.com reported it was 2 years ending in 2017. You don't think they filed an OPRA request to review the contract before reporting the extension terms?

HOLY SHIT dude look up to my very first response to you and READ THE ENTIRE QUOTED POST - OF YOURS - IN WHICH I CLEARLY RESPOND, IN BOTH "BOLD" AND "ITALICS" to your questions. Un****ingreal! I believe it's post #88,999 for crying out loud lol!

HOLY SHIT dude look up to my very first response to you and READ THE ENTIRE QUOTED POST - OF YOURS - IN WHICH I CLEARLY RESPOND, IN BOTH "BOLD" AND "ITALICS" to your questions. Un****ingreal! I believe it's post #88,999 for crying out loud lol!
Repeating over and over without any supporting facts that you think he has 3 years left and nj.com was wrong isn't responsive, and that's all you've posted.

Repeating over and over without any supporting facts that you think he has 3 years left and nj.com was wrong isn't responsive, and that's all you've posted.

First off, you can apologize for being an ass and continually calling me out when I did, in fact, respond to you multiple posts ago...but I'm sure you won't. Second, since when is NJ.com the bastion of facts and truths? SERIOUSLY??!!! Third, in 15-years or so year, tell me how many times I've misrepresented anything whatsoever to these boards (aside from opinions)? I'll tell you how many: ONCE...and you can blame Tim Pernetti, the University of North Carolina, the people who run the bowl game in North Carolina, and the shiity-ass Pitt fan base, for that "lie."

I've got no reason not to believe what I was told and, nor do I have any reason to make shit it - it does nobody any good - but the fact that DD hasn't been let go yet, despite and in spite of everything, should lead us all to believe that maybe, just maybe, NJ.com was wrong/misinformed?

First off, you can apologize for being an ass and continually calling me out when I did, in fact, respond to you multiple posts ago...but I'm sure you won't. Second, since when is NJ.com the bastion of facts and truths? SERIOUSLY??!!! Third, in 15-years or so year, tell me how many times I've misrepresented anything whatsoever to these boards (aside from opinions)? I'll tell you how many: ONCE...and you can blame Tim Pernetti, the University of North Carolina, the people who run the bowl game in North Carolina, and the shiity-ass Pitt fan base, for that "lie."

I've got no reason not to believe what I was told and, nor do I have any reason to make shit it - it does nobody any good - but the fact that DD hasn't been let go yet, despite and in spite of everything, should lead us all to believe that maybe, just maybe, NJ.com was wrong/misinformed?
Nuts has a point here. He hasn;t been let go and he should have been by all accounts. Time for some to think he might be smarter than the average NJ.com flunkey.

Listen numbnuts, you posted that you weren't even sure if your info was accurate. Nj.com is good with making OPRA requests & reporting contract details. Unless, you've seen the contract or talked to DD, then you're just guessing. Regardless, keeping him shows that we don't care about soccer or winning.

I agree it was Reasso's time to go. But using his record later in his tenure after achieving tons of success isn't a good reason to keep Donigan. It should be noted that Reasso's last year at the helm was much more successful than this year under Donigan. There is no reason to keep Donigan at this point, unless there is something behind the scenes we don't know about, like contract details. Finished last 2 years in a row, best player transferred, and recruiting is way below par. There isn't one data point that can be looked at as a reason to not make move other than Reasso didn't reach the level he set. That's not fair, especially when you look at Reasso's overall record, 3 final fours, and 13 NCAA appearances. He set a bar that wasn't being reached later in his career, and the current coach isn't close to reaching.

Good to hear he owns up to the programs lack of success. If/when a change is made, he will likely understand the reasons. Hopefully, he lands on his feet somewhere good when that happens. I don't know him and have no issues with him personally.

Reactions: RUnTeX
Nuts has a point here. He hasn;t been let go and he should have been by all accounts. Time for some to think he might be smarter than the average NJ.com flunkey.

I really have zero reason to make shit up - ever!! [cheers]

Listen numbnuts, you posted that you weren't even sure if your info was accurate. Nj.com is good with making OPRA requests & reporting contract details. Unless, you've seen the contract or talked to DD, then you're just guessing. Regardless, keeping him shows that we don't care about soccer or winning.

I'm done. All I'm doing is offering some information that I was given - by someone who SHOULD know the facts - as a reason to answer the question "WHY" in regards to the fact that DD hasn't been fired. If you want to believe NJ.com, and assume that I'm purposely lying - FOR WHAT REASON I have no idea; makes zero sense for me to do so - then so be it.

Hey I'm gonna just assume you're Steve Politi because, well, I've got no reason not to do so! [pfftt]

Last edited:
If he is here next season, you have to think there is more to the contract issue than the SL would have people believe to be true. You also have to believe that soccer alums aren't stepping up in the event that's accurate.

Maybe those on this thread who feel strongly about the issue should express their thoughts to Hobbs’s office via phone calls or email. It might help to remind the athletic director that this is an unacceptable situation. Check out this stat: in the big ten this year rutgers was 6GF 26GA, overall 23GF, 49GA. Certainly worst in th league by far and maybe one of the worst ratios in the nation.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Is there a chance potential recruits are not comng here because of the current facilities and Hobbs thinks Donnigan may be able to get the job done with the new lacrosse and soccer center?

Going to hard to help get that facility soccer raise when the team is doing very little winning.

Indeed...I've pledged as part of the B1G Build campaign to direct some of my donation toward the new soccer/lax complex, because I believe in the potential of the programs for whom the facility will be built and it is sorely needed. But the big-dollar donors may be harder for Hobbs to reel in if there is disillusionment due to men's soccer's slide in stature over the past decade or so. Hopefully that can be offset from a raising capital perspective by highlighting men's lax climbing into prominence as well as women's soccer growing visibility on the national stage.

Is there a chance potential recruits are not comng here because of the current facilities and Hobbs thinks Donnigan may be able to get the job done with the new lacrosse and soccer center?

The facility might be at the center of Donigan staying. If you look at the information about the plans for it and the fundraising needs, it seems entirely possible that Donigan has inserted himself as a key to securing certain big donor commitments and for Hobbs, that potential promise of $ towards the facility via Donigan is far more relevant than his ineffectiveness as a coach.

Also, Hobbs can probably add to this justification the fact that next year, the msoc performance almost has to be better simply by virtue of there being really nowhere to go but up. This last point may not be true though! But perhaps by the end of next season, enough fundraising wheels will be in motion that canning Donigan at that point will be easier for Hobbs. I don’t agree with this logic if any of it is true, but just some thoughts . . .

Interesting comments in response to this article announcing Donigan’s hiring:

http://www.nj.com/sports/njsports/index.ssf/2010/01/rutgers_names_dan_donigan_mens.html

One has to wonder what happened in Donigan’s career between St. Louis and Rutgers. His records are almost inverted.
Despite Donigan's success at SLU, there were quite a few local coaches, HS and College, that thought he was the wrong choice for RU. Now, some of that comes after the fact, so who knows if the reasoning for those thoughts was correct. I remember thinking it was a decent choice. Hasn't turned out as such.
The fact that he hasn't been let go yet would lead me to believe it isn't going to this year, and NUTS is probably right about the contract, although I've heard they wouldn't let him go if there was one year remaining. Another wasted year and falling farther behind upcoming.

Wondering if the camps that Donigan runs for youth during the winter through Rutgers is still being announced/happening. That would probably be one telltale sign of Hobbs’s plans to retain or release.

Reactions: bigmatt718
And that's the chief reason I believe we need to fire Donigan. How can Hobbs with a straight face fund raise for new soccer facilities with a dead weight HC manning the men's soccer team?

Keep getting back to the same point. Soccer alums need to step up. As do all alums, but especially them right it would appear.

Penn State coach retiring opens a big10 Soccer coaching position. Wonder if any Rutgers possibilities to replace Donigan might also be on psu list? That team looks to be on upswing faster than RU in my opinion.

So it appears that perhaps the past few days, Hobbs has been distracted by the women's swimming & diving program and having to dismiss the coach earlier today over apparent abuse allegations (from thread on football board).

Maybe starting tomorrow Hobbs' attention can turn to men's soccer.

So it appears that perhaps the past few days, Hobbs has been distracted by the women's swimming & diving program and having to dismiss the coach earlier today over apparent abuse allegations (from thread on football board).

Maybe starting tomorrow Hobbs' attention can turn to men's soccer.
It would certainly be an acceptable reason for the delay on Donigan.

Let’s hope this is the case. Seems like the Donigan run Rutgers Soccer Academy winter camp is scheduled for January though.

Let’s hope this is the case. Seems like the Donigan run Rutgers Soccer Academy winter camp is scheduled for January though.
Now obviously we had to let the diving coach go because of the abuse allegations but let’s not keep harping on the money side. Compared to what we throw out in football we can easily come up with the money to buy out Donigan. As I said before this is just such a head scratcher. If we hire the right coach we can return to national prominence very quickly with all the New Jersey talent in soccer

Reactions: Leonard23
It just might be that Hobbs doesn’t have men’s soccer as high priority at all. And why should he? For a state with such prominence in youth Soccer, it is striking how low the volume is regarding the state university’s men’s soccer program. Very little media coverage (maybe this isn’t unusual nationally) and almost no noticeable public discussion of the program. This forum is great, but when is the last time that Hobbs has been forced or simply volunteered any public sentiments about the Soccer program? An opinion piece in the Targum might be a good thing. The trentonian and nj com could also offer some space to focusing on this crisis in RU men’s soccer.

I can tell you 100% that MSOC is a high priority to Hobbs. I heard that directly from him.

Reactions: asgot
Exactly. Why no comments now after back to back horrible seasons. Either a presser to announce a new direction or one that justifies staying the course-would be good to hear as evidence that Soccer is indeed a high priority.

Reactions: Leonard23
Agreed. Which tells me there is more going on than we know. You only make an annoucement like this if there is a change. Hobbs getting up there and saying we suck, but we can't do anything because we don't have the money isn't going to happen. Silence also can speak volumes.

I also know that soccer donations have been lagging, which at a school like Rutgers with very limited funds, is a big problem when moves need to made.

I think Nuts is very likely right when it comes to his contract. There is likely more there and the SL got it wrong. And if the alums or other donors aren't stepping up, that makes the challenge that much harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT