ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers men's soccer...Donigan...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s actually an unbelievable feat on Donigan’s part. To be able to perform so poorly for an extended period of time and maintain a prime coaching position. He might have tapes with incriminating evidence on all of these ADs.

Really curious about the incoming recruiting class (when do they usually announce this?) and wonder if Hobbs has given Donigan an ultimatum regarding what he needs to do to keep his job after next year.

I dont think its just rutgers because only 22 names appear in all

This is "' Ncaa 2018 mens soccer commitment tracker "'

the only ru name there is jan carlos de jesus Passaic tech.. The womens tracker has all 8 of the 2018 commits included and the 3 for 2019 . So I dont think it accidental to not have reports

I dont think its just rutgers because only 22 names appear in all

This is "' Ncaa 2018 mens soccer commitment tracker "'

the only ru name there is jan carlos de jesus Passaic tech.. The womens tracker has all 8 of the 2018 commits included and the 3 for 2019 . So I dont think it accidental to not have reports
Can you send link to the tracker?

btw the womens site just change men to women
the differerence is they give 2018--- 2019-----2020

To be perfectly honest, as a general fan of the game and in the best interest of development in this country, I'd be happier if we cut Men's soccer. It's a terrible product on the field and calendar restrictions hinder player development. I use to attend games as a student and worked in the AD but I know longer see the point to investing in Men's soccer (as a fan of the game...as a fan of the university I get it).

Reactions: ruready07
Perhaps, given the product that is currently being offered/invested in. But there’s no reason that it shouldn’t be a top tier program nationally which, even though it’s not a revenue sport, would still bring some positive attention to the athletic program and university.

Also, given your experience working in AD, how responsive do you think the office is to the input/opinions of fans/alumnae/donors? Is there any avenue for those of us who are concerned about the state of men’s soccer, to express concerns to AD?

To be perfectly honest, as a general fan of the game and in the best interest of development in this country, I'd be happier if we cut Men's soccer. It's a terrible product on the field and calendar restrictions hinder player development. I use to attend games as a student and worked in the AD but I know longer see the point to investing in Men's soccer (as a fan of the game...as a fan of the university I get it).
In terms of calendar restrictions, does anyone know where the proposal to make men’s Soccer a calendar year sport with a two part fall and spring season is?

I know this was proposed maybe a year ago but never heard if it will likely be adopted. I think it’s a no-brainer if Soccer wishes to remain relevant as a college sport. The compressed fall schedule and frankly joke of a pseudo spring season currently, seems like a contributing factor in the underdevelopment of college soccer players in relationship to the US soccer system. My understanding is that the MLS and USSDA are on board for the proposed modifications to the college soccer schedule as the 10 month system is more in accordance with the other parts of US Soccer. It does seem that such a shift might put more emphasis on development even at this advanced stage of college play because it still is necessary even though many assume that development ceases after 18-which seems quite false. Much current college coaching seems to reflect this misunderstanding as programs generally seem inclined to rely on sheer athleticism with some technical skill and very little attention to more advanced tactical strategy and decision making.

The only legitimate reason that he is still coach is because Hobbs doesn’t have men’s soccer on his radar, or Donigan has something on him. Hobbs just got a new contract and should be on the ball without having to look over his shoulder. No rational logic as to why he hasn’t acted yet.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
So why should the players be expected to put forth their best efforts if the coaching staff can consistently perform subpar yet be rewarded? It seems hard to argue that the expectation for the program is success based on how coaching staff is evaluated.

Wisconsin coach: 107-85-48
Michigan coach: 37-43-15
Penn State coach: 73-50-16
Michigan State Coach: 90-58-22
Northwestern coach: 141-88-25 (roughly)
Indiana: 84-41-27
Maryland: 374-137-49
Ohio State: 198-151-57

Jason Wright this season at Clemson-8 goals, 3 assists. Semifinal loss to wake in acc tourney. Second round NCAA loss to coastal Carolina. Not a bad year for him and man could we have used his talents up top. But it was clear he had lost faith in Donigan and it was time for him to move on. Which makes one wonder how we might expect a player at that level of talent to decide to come play here if they look at the Wright situation. Have to imagine that it’s very likely Donigan has soured his Jamaican recruiting connections with Wright and Mckoy not working out (and I realize those are two very different stories). Looking back at when Wright left like a year ago, everyone was calling for Donigan to be fired right then. Not only did he get a new lease on coaching life, he went on to equalize the previous failing season and is still able to continue. It’s really something beyond unbelievable. Hope he can somehow make positive use of this latest second chance.

Did we all forget our president's #1 mission? Reduce the subsidy. Barring a scandal that's still his only mission. We're only receiving $14.6 mil. from the B1G this year and next year's bump to $24 mil. will mostly go to reducing the subsidy and paying back the loan. They'll be some bump in athletic spending and I'm sure soccer is on the list. Problem is there's still no money, Hobbs has extended himself as far as the president and BOG will allow him. It sucks but that's how your president and BOG want it. Reduce the subsidy at all costs, they're in this to cash checks.

Holy Crap are ALL of this guy's posts within this thread LOL! Anyway, gonna try here:

It’s actually an unbelievable feat on Donigan’s part. To be able to perform so poorly for an extended period of time and maintain a prime coaching position. He might have tapes with incriminating evidence on all of these ADs.

He took the team to the NCAA's exactly 2 season ago. Just stop. Yes, there have been serious problems, since, for a # of reasons - good, bad, and ugly - discussed ad nauseum here so not gong to bother right now.

Also, given your experience working in AD, how responsive do you think the office is to the input/opinions of fans/alumnae/donors? Is there any avenue for those of us who are concerned about the state of men’s soccer, to express concerns to AD?

I worked in the athletic department as well and input/opinions are (almost) always welcomed by those in charge (and often listened to, obviously, depending on the topics some not quite so much lol...). Of course, obviously, the more you donate/do for the AD/school, and the more sensible of an e-mail/phone/face-to-face conversation you have with those in charge, the more likely you are to get a response that is timely, appreciative, and sensible. Donate $100/year and send an e-mail similar to some of these posts and, quite honestly, you're not going to warrant let alone receive a response.

The only legitimate reason that he is still coach is because Hobbs doesn’t have men’s soccer on his radar, or Donigan has something on him. Hobbs just got a new contract and should be on the ball without having to look over his shoulder. No rational logic as to why he hasn’t acted yet.

Stop. This post is just ignorant beyond all belief. First off, Hobbs absolutely DOES have "soccer on his radar" and if you actually followed Rutgers Athletics you would know that there s currently a major fundraising project underway that includes brand new and renovated soccer/lacrosse facilities. Second, Donigan certainly doesn't have "something" on Hobbs, my Lord, not everyone is a douche bag like a former assistant hoops coach. Third and, again, IF you are familiar with Rutgers Athletics - in any way whatsoever - you would know that Hobbs took over an AD in horrible financial condition, with a slew of issues to deal with - many of which have been and/or are being dealt with - and isn't going to just go firing coaches (without cause) left-and-right due to 2 bad seasons (and with multiple years left on their contracts...). Hobbs has a plan for everything here and is a HUGE proponent of Olympic Sports, includng both Men and Women's Soccer, but he can't change everything overnight. Next year we start getting more $$$ from the B1G, and it will increase each year thereafter, and we're going to see some wonderful things - FINALLY - happen within our AD, but everyone needs just *thismuch* more patience.

I, for one, would bet dollars-to-donuts that if DD has not turned this thing back around, prior to the end of his current deal, he most certainly WILL be let go by Hobbs and that we will "open the wallet" for the next guy.

So why should the players be expected to put forth their best efforts if the coaching staff can consistently perform subpar yet be rewarded? It seems hard to argue that the expectation for the program is success based on how coaching staff is evaluated.

Is this a serious question? SMDH.

**** just got trolled...this guy's account just opened 11/17 and 35 of 36 posts WITHIN this thread!!!

imageproxy.php

At times he does appear to be having a conversation with himself. I think most of us have reluctantly moved on.

Losing to hapless PSU 3-1, at home right now.

Penn State had scored 1 goal against B1G competition entering this game.

Donigan's fate was presumably decided prior to this game, but this HAS to be the end. No questions asked.

We will find out soon after October 25th (their last game).
So is my original post the coldest take of all time? Yikes.

Just so we're clear, here's Donigan's record by years.

2010 4 - 11 - 1
2011 10 - 7 - 4
2012 7 - 7 - 1
2013 7 - 11 - 2
2014 6 - 12 - 1
2015 12 - 7 - 2
2016 1 -14 - 2
2017 4 -13 - 1

Total is 51W - 82L - 14T

That is HORRIBLE, even for this department in a talent rich area.

I'm not sure how anyone can argue for keeping him. And I don't want to hear about the stupid minuscule buyout by major college athletic department standards. This is why this athletic department has performed so poorly. So yea, let's keep him for another 2 years and watch how hard it is for the next guy to dig out of the hole that he's dug us.

Reactions: Leonard23
Agreed. I kind of see the point nuts is making about the buyout but to make that point and still defend Hobbs as on top of men’s soccer situation is troubling because unless I am misunderstanding something, we wouldn’t even be having this conversation if Hobbs had let Donigan go after last season when contract was up. Extending him after a winless season and with his top player leaving seems like an unwise decision on Hobbs’s part. Maybe some of that is hindsight, but I think that he could have gotten good Soccer advice on the situation last year that would have encouraged him to go in a different direction.

Also just to respond to other comments, obviously Donigan isn’t blackmailing Hobbs but the point was just that it’s too bad the Soccer situation is one where the coach comes off looking to be beyond any real accountability. But as nuts and others point out, this is all part of a bigger plan that will lead to the success and glory of Rutgers Soccer if we are patient. I hope this happens and it would be great to see Donigan turn this all around. Even though many of us have been critical of him, I’ve got no issue pulling for him to right the ship if he’s being given another chance.

Agreed. I kind of see the point nuts is making about the buyout but to make that point and still defend Hobbs as on top of men’s soccer situation is troubling because unless I am misunderstanding something, we wouldn’t even be having this conversation if Hobbs had let Donigan go after last season when contract was up. Extending him after a winless season and with his top player leaving seems like an unwise decision on Hobbs’s part. Maybe some of that is hindsight, but I think that he could have gotten good Soccer advice on the situation last year that would have encouraged him to go in a different direction.

I don't believe the extension took place last year, or by Hobbs, but I could be wrong (believe that was just an assumption made in this thread...). I'm pretty sure his current deal was done by Julie will see if I can find out more.

Thanks for trying to clarify this. It’s frustratinngly hard to find much clear info in media about these things. I remember seeing something in on the banks in spring of 2016 saying that Hobbs needed to extend Donigan at some point that year. Not sure when that would have happened though but it seems like it was Hobbs who did it. But please share any more info you can figure out.

Jim McElderry who is the Head Coach at Fordham is an interesting candidate if the administration decides go in a new direction. Extremely well liked guy within in the coaching circles from the NYC metro area( a Stamford CT resident) and graduated from Fairfield U. Good recruiter and has gotten the Rams into the Elite 8 of the 2017 NCAA men’s cup besides winning the A10 3 of the last 4 years.

That would be great but he has a good thing going there. I guess maybe the lure of big ten could be attractive. But anyone coming in has to know they will have a mess to deal with. Seems like a tough sell to a coach who has settled into winning ways in a program that seems well supported. But hey, it would be great to bring in this kind of young coach with a fresh and winning perspective.

People keep bringing up the facility issue.
As they exist right now, our facilities for men’s soccer are better then 80 percent of the programs in the country
Locker rooms are at the Hale and are beautiful, film room a mini theater, training room and practice field are first rate
6000 seat stadium with a large and beautiful field
Minor cosmetic improvements to Yurcak could make it one of the best Soccer specific college stadiums in the country
The field house issue is as much an issue to create more room for football as it is to improve the Soccer situation

Donate money. That’s your best avenue. And not $100 expecting to have an opinion that matters.

People keep bringing up the facility issue.
As they exist right now, our facilities for men’s soccer are better then 80 percent of the programs in the country
Locker rooms are at the Hale and are beautiful, film room a mini theater, training room and practice field are first rate
6000 seat stadium with a large and beautiful field
Minor cosmetic improvements to Yurcak could make it one of the best Soccer specific college stadiums in the country
The field house issue is as much an issue to create more room for football as it is to improve the Soccer situation

The exact opposite is true for MLAX. But making Hale football only is a big part of this. But we are way behind in lax in every facility way compared to peers, and even many non peers.

If Donigan is going, I think it would have to happen in the next week or two. Before the holidays and before we get too close to spring season. I doubt he’s going anywhere though.

If Donigan is going, I think it would have to happen in the next week or two. Before the holidays and before we get too close to spring season. I doubt he’s going anywhere though.

He is obviously not going anywhere at this point. Shame. Who knows....maybe some big donor for the new soccer facility is a Donigan guy. That kind of stuff cuts both ways.

True. Seems like it could be something like that. I can’t see how he would be retained based on likelihood that things will significantly turn around next year. So many holes other than goalie. Imagine if the goalie decides he’s had enough and leaves. That atrocious goal differential would be magnified. It just seems like this will be a nightmare recruiting year given the past two years and no change in coaching.

From my understanding, that's the problem. There aren't any of those.

This. Like I said earlier it seems as though the “Reasso guys” - who played professionally and/or otherwise - simply never have given (for the most part). Similar to the Schiano guys.

no wins, no morale, no legitimate hope/optimism, no notable recruits on horizon (it would seem), and no significant $ being given (presumably). Why not move in another direction now?

no wins, no morale, no legitimate hope/optimism, no notable recruits on horizon (it would seem), and no significant $ being given (presumably). Why not move in another direction now?
Why not, indeed.

There was guy in Steve Allen's troupe whose trademark remark was: why not. Would make a great gif, or whatever those little images are called.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT