ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers men's soccer...Donigan...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually I posted it ion OCTOBER 22ND but nice try buddy! 3 years left, as in "this isn't his final season" - as the NJ.com article claimed and everyone here was using - which gave him the rest of 2017 PLUS 2 more seasons. How on EARTH was I "wrong"? Unreal.
Just stop. You really expect us to believe that you were including the 2017 season, which had 2 weeks left at the time you posted "Be very interesting to see if Hobbs eats a deal with 3 years left (IIRC)."????? There was nothing to eat for 2017 and only 2 years left from the new extension.

Just stop. You really expect us to believe that you were including the 2017 season, which had 2 weeks left at the time you posted "Be very interesting to see if Hobbs eats a deal with 3 years left (IIRC)."????? There was nothing to eat for 2017.

Dude I was the only one here claiming his contract was NOT up this year and that it had a couple of more years on it. Period. The NJ.com article you and others were using against me, however, was wrong (or simply outdated...) and you guys were using that in an attempt to make me look like I was full of shit when, in fact, I wasn't. That's all.

Any news on incoming recruits? I can only imagine that Donigan will be able to get some PDA second tier players, and maybe a foreign player or so who just wants to come to the US and will take an offer from a program that is in as bad a position as Rutgers.

There are no "issues." If Dan doesn't turn things around the next 2 seasons he'll be gone, plain and simple, sound good? We ARE in the middle of a huge fundraising campaign, for both lax AND soccer, maybe Hobbs felt it best not to stir the pot at this exact moment when he's got a lot of other things on the table.

Yes, I know, it's not the ideal scenario even I can't argue with that, but it is what it is for now. Hobbs has a plan, and he's working it very well thus far, give him a chance to get this right when he's ready to make a move.
I would have to say if he doesn't get it done next year he's gone. With the bump in pay from $14.6 mil to $24 mil. next year. I'm sure they'll be able to buy out his last year and pay a respectable amount for a replacement even if it has to be back loaded. Because whoever takes it will be given the full rebuild years. That's how far it's fallen and that's a shame.

Last edited:
I would have to say if he doesn't get it done next year he's gone. With the bump in pay from $14.6 mil to $24 mil. next year. I'm sure they'll be able to buy out his last year and pay a respectable amount for a replacement even if it has to be back loaded. Because whoever takes it will be given the full rebuild years. That's how far it's fallen and that's a shame.

If the soccer community wanted it done this year they should have ponied up. But they didn't and their contributions to the RFund have been pitiful. No one wants to donate from that sport to have their name on anything.

Actually, no, they haven't been "pitiful." That's not the case at all, which surprised me, but let's not make stuff either. At this moment there are actually MORE "naming opps" covered, or to-be-covered, for men's soccer than men's lax:

http://d81ldo19jx3e0.cloudfront.net...plex/Lacrosse-and-Soccer-Complex-10-12-17.pdf

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Any news on incoming recruits? I can only imagine that Donigan will be able to get some PDA second tier players, and maybe a foreign player or so who just wants to come to the US and will take an offer from a program that is in as bad a position as Rutgers.

Not sure haven't spoken to Danny in a bit. There are a couple posters here, "Snowboarder" in particular, who are much more in-tune to the club/high school/recruiting-scene than I am, for sure, not my expertise I'll admit that much lol!

From a recruiting standpoint, things are not looking great. As I can see, we have two commits. One a PDA Academy Player that will be a solid player.
The other is a bit of an unknown. There is much to replace with the graduation of most of the team's impact players.
The way I see it, the team is without at threat at striker and no true play makers in the center midfield. The defense will return many of its players but much of what I saw last year would not make me optimistic at this point in that regard.
Donigan is not pulling in the top NJ players anymore. Correa, Corboz,Sa, R Tetro and Hambleton were all top 10 NJ players. In addition, Tainter was probably the top kid in Conn. We are not talking about High School accolades here, we are talking about the top guys on the top Academies in the country. Since Guzmon, I dont see any of these type recruits from the North East.
My guess is that there will be a foreign look to this up coming class, it appears to be the only option at this point.

Thanks for this. I agree with your assessment of the current roster configuration especially in light of graduating guys. Defense is not inspiring confidence given that abysmal goal differential and the fact that the goalie basically stood on his head to save prolly 10-15 should have been goals. Mounting a threatening attack seems unlikely based on the current personnel and tactics but maybe ther will be a new key face or two that will brighten these prospects.

Some interesting transfers... I apologize if this has already been discussed in this thread as I have missed a couple of pages. Would love to hear some of the experts thoughts on this.

Interesting. Don’t know about the matchfit kid but he’s an attacking player which could be promising but who knows if he’ll ever see the field. The goalie looks great but the current goalie might be the best player on the team. Guess you can never have too much of a goood thing, but 5 goalies seems like a heavy load for the roster. 2 of them might be in trouble.

Interesting. Don’t know about the matchfit kid but he’s an attacking player which could be promising but who knows if he’ll ever see the field. The goalie looks great but the current goalie might be the best player on the team. Guess you can never have too much of a goood thing, but 5 goalies seems like a heavy load for the roster. 2 of them might be in trouble.

Well 2 are seniors, then a R-Jr, Jr, and a soph (I think...). Being that most kids get partial schollies you might look at RS'ing 2 of these guys this season including the transfer from UCLA who...wow...started the last 12 games of 2016 and all 18 games in 2017!

True. Guess I would just say that depending on what the transfer rules are and how they might impact the UCLA guy, they should let current starter and UCLA battle it out for starting position and then keep the next year sophomore as extra backup. The other two might not be necessary.

I wonder why Silva would leave a starting job at UCLA to come to Rutgers to fight for a spot. Maybe feels big ten is superior? But UCLA is such a better program . . . However he ended up falling into Donigan’s lap, it’s great but too bad he isn’t a striker or attacking Center mid.

Possibly. He’s from PA though, so close enough that he’d prolly already know. Besides, I doubt that even the quality of the ladies could outweigh the issues of Rutgers team. I’m sure Donigan gave him one of those cliche filled talks about turning things around though, and made it clear that the team is really actually great, just not getting the results.

The resurgence of Jason Wright. Transfers to Clemson. 8 goals, 3 assists, 19 points. Doubling the goal total of Rutgers top scorer and accounting for a third of Rutgers goal total on his own. Even though his junior year here wasn’t great, that’s a huge loss—not only of Wright but also in the sense that other elite players might see Donigan as a coach who can’t handle talent.

The resurgence of Jason Wright. Transfers to Clemson. 8 goals, 3 assists, 19 points. Doubling the goal total of Rutgers top scorer and accounting for a third of Rutgers goal total on his own. Even though his junior year here wasn’t great, that’s a huge loss—not only of Wright but also in the sense that other elite players might see Donigan as a coach who can’t handle talent.

He "handled talent" just fine at St. Louis. Silly.

Possibly. He’s from PA though, so close enough that he’d prolly already know. Besides, I doubt that even the quality of the ladies could outweigh the issues of Rutgers team. I’m sure Donigan gave him one of those cliche filled talks about turning things around though, and made it clear that the team is really actually great, just not getting the results.

Dude, I was joking.

He "handled talent" just fine at St. Louis. Silly.
Not really. How long ago was St. Louis? Like seven or more years ago. Wright was just in the immediate past. Seems more relevant than St. Louis. But with that being said, certainly those situations aren’t solely on the coach. Who knows what all may have gone into Wright’s decision. Just sucks that things went downhill with him being here and then picked right back up when he left.

St Louis Billikens Men's Soccer was one of the greatest , if not the greatest, sports dynasties of all time. National Champs--1959,60,62,63,65,67,69,70,72,73.
Runner Up-- 1961,64,71,74.
Qtr Final--1966.
2ND Round-- 1968.
IST Round to Qtr Final--1975,76,77,78,79,80,81,83,84,86,87,88.

St Louis Billikens Men's Soccer was one of the greatest , if not the greatest, sports dynasties of all time. National Champs--1959,60,62,63,65,67,69,70,72,73.
Runner Up-- 1961,64,71,74.
Qtr Final--1966.
2ND Round-- 1968.
IST Round to Qtr Final--1975,76,77,78,79,80,81,83,84,86,87,88.
UCLA John wooden like. They were in the finals 6 years in a row.

Who cares about St. Louis that is ancient history the problem here and now is Rutgers where he is further driving this program into the depths. Hobbs has really blown this one. If we can come up with money for football and basketball then to me his buyout should be a drop in the bucket let alone how Hobbs gave him an extension one will never know but it is just so sad to see soccer which should be a top program just be so bad

Who cares about St. Louis that is ancient history the problem here and now is Rutgers where he is further driving this program into the depths. Hobbs has really blown this one. If we can come up with money for football and basketball then to me his buyout should be a drop in the bucket let alone how Hobbs gave him an extension one will never know but it is just so sad to see soccer which should be a top program just be so bad
Beg your pardon! The Billikens had been brought up by two other posters. Thought that it was of note that Donigan had inherited a storied & monumentally successful program at St Louis. Beyond that, I believed that that info was appropriate to note for discussion on a soccer discussion board. Beyond that, yes it is pitiful what has happened to our heretofore outstanding program & it needs to be addressed & corrected.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Beg your pardon! The Billikens had been brought up by two other posters. Thought that it was of note that Donigan had inherited a storied & monumentally successful program at St Louis. Beyond that, I believed that that info was appropriate to note for discussion on a soccer discussion board. Beyond that, yes it is pitiful what has happened to our heretofore outstanding program & it needs to be addressed & corrected.

Don't bother with that guy.

Information about the historical success of Billikens is awesome. I’m not sure that it says much about Donigan but that is some dynasty.

Information about the historical success of Billikens is awesome. I’m not sure that it says much about Donigan but that is some dynasty.
Thanks Ironhead. When I was in college 1960-66, they were the gold standard.

UCLA John wooden like. They were in the finals 6 years in a row.

Actually looks like 7 in a row ('59-'65) and then another 6 in a row ('69-'74)...total of 14 out of 16 years in the final between '59 and '74. Despite the dominance, never more than 2 championships in a row during that stretch (but did so 4 times). Was it a single, Wooden-like, head coach leading SLU during that impressive run?

Actually looks like 7 in a row ('59-'65) and then another 6 in a row ('69-'74)...total of 14 out of 16 years in the final between '59 and '74. Despite the dominance, never more than 2 championships in a row during that stretch (but did so 4 times). Was it a single, Wooden-like, head coach leading SLU during that impressive run?
Not sure. Believe one guy for a long stretch of that run. Checked it out. One guy coached the first five championship teams & another guy the second five.

Reactions: RUnTeX
Well, kind of going back to how this recent part of the thread started, besides Wright, who is the last “blue chip” type recruit Donigan has brought in?

Out of 24 2018 graduating seniors in NJ who have committed to programs, Soccer Wire has 2 listed for Rutgers, one of whom has no profile from what I can tell. One from PDA of course, but lots of PDA and Red Bull players from NJ seem to be going to places like (not surprisingly) duke, gtown, Stanford, penn, Colgate, etc. I guess there should be an announcement soon about the incoming RU class so we can learn more then. Two transfers already. Maybe some foreign players, and I guess some out of staters. Tough to get top in state talent I imagine, given how things are going.

Too bad that Donigan couldn’t recruit Diop from Pennington. Just the kind of offensive threat that RU needs. All American, Mercer county player of the year. Uconn bound.

Too bad that Donigan couldn’t recruit Diop from Pennington. Just the kind of offensive threat that RU needs. All American, Mercer county player of the year. Uconn bound.

Trust me...a Mercer guy (Danny and I went to Steinert/Hamilton-East), going to UConn (where DD was a POTY in the BE twice), probably "stings" just a tad right now.

Do you know if Donigan was able to get Rutgers in the decision mix for Diop, or was he uconn all the way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT