ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers men's soccer...Donigan...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Donigan is staying, it would be good to have a perspective from him on the past season. Like an interview with someone from nj com or the trentonian. So that he can speak to what he feels went wrong and how he plans to move forward. What are the major needs he hopes to address through recruiting and basically what a realistic set of goals are for the team going into next season.

I fear that, unfortunately, you should count from today all the way through next season for the hostage crisis because this situation is clearly not going to be addressed until at least then. And the Rutgers athletic department should be ashamed of itself.

Maybe this week we will get news of moving in new direction with coaching change. . .have to admit though that on one hand it seems unlikely (complete silence of AD) but on the other hand it seems absolutely necessary (program is going nowhere fast).

At this point maybe Hobbs plans to steal away the Stanford coach and, as a courtesy, he is just waiting until after the national championship game today to announce the hiring. Well, at least one can dream....

At this point maybe Hobbs plans to steal away the Stanford coach and, as a courtesy, he is just waiting until after the national championship game today to announce the hiring. Well, at least one can dream....
I think that dreaming is all one can really do in terms of Hobbs’s intentions with Soccer. Because he seems to say nothing at all over the course of the last two seasons.

I wonder how this current roster would do vs. D3 Rutgers Newark? It seems like there is a more effective coach and successful program at the D3 level for Rutgers Men’s Soccer.

Seems likely that any good young players on the team might be trying to transfer. Who knows what will happen but could be a perfect storm of players leaving and a weak recruiting class leading to another dismal season.

Seems likely that any good young players on the team might be trying to transfer. Who knows what will happen but could be a perfect storm of players leaving and a weak recruiting class leading to another dismal season.

I'm stunned that you're still allowed to post here. What you have done (51 of 52 posts in a single thread, 52 posts bashing Donigan) is completely against board regulations, from what I can recall, and...to be honest...is a tad scary. You are completely obsessed.

That being said, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, but "let it go" my friend. This can't be healthy for you! [cheers]

Reactions: TRU2RU
Thanks for your concern and the holiday wishes! Happy holidays to you as well. No worries here. If posting on one topic is a violation then I guess they’ll let me know but I am pretty exclusively a Soccer follower. Maybe creating more threads about MSOC is one way that the focus on Donigan won’t be so intense-although it’s not like the performance over the last two years puts him outside of tough criticism. I’ve just lived in several areas with legit college soccer and have never seen a situation quite like this. Especially being in such a respected conference and in a state that is so Soccer focused. It is what it is though, so I’ll see if I can be more positive and maybe I’ll start posting on wrestling and swimming threads too so that you won’t be so concerned.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
It's obvious he will be here next year. Was at a wedding this weekend of a buddy who played in the MLS for many years. Lots of soccer guys there. Had some good conversations about Rutgers. It's pretty clear, when this job does become available, there are going to be some big names trying to get it.

It's obvious he will be here next year. Was at a wedding this weekend of a buddy who played in the MLS for many years. Lots of soccer guys there. Had some good conversations about Rutgers. It's pretty clear, when this job does become available, there are going to be some big names trying to get it.
It's a crime that it isn't available now or won't be in less than 2 weeks. Huge screw up. We've shown that we really don't care.

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
Maybe this is material for a new thread but I’m curious how the election of new US Soccer president could relate to college game—in the sense that it seems that whoever is elected will need to spend some time focusing on relationship between academy system, NCAA, MLS, and national team.

Looks like Rutgers own Peter Vermes is the odds on favorite to get the manager role from what I heard.

Seems like a great option. Very well respected and organized.

Reactions: RUnTeX
Got any evidence of this!?!?!? I love the move, by the way.

Talked to guys who would know, including a current assistant. It isn't a done deal, but if there were bets being made, he was it. This is for the national team btw, not Rutgers.

No real insight into Rutgers other than it seems to me the job isn't opening this year. But when it does, I was told there will be a lot of interest in it. Especially from Jersey guys.

Reactions: IsItLuck
Thanks for your concern and the holiday wishes! Happy holidays to you as well. No worries here. If posting on one topic is a violation then I guess they’ll let me know but I am pretty exclusively a Soccer follower. Maybe creating more threads about MSOC is one way that the focus on Donigan won’t be so intense-although it’s not like the performance over the last two years puts him outside of tough criticism. I’ve just lived in several areas with legit college soccer and have never seen a situation quite like this. Especially being in such a respected conference and in a state that is so Soccer focused. It is what it is though, so I’ll see if I can be more positive and maybe I’ll start posting on wrestling and swimming threads too so that you won’t be so concerned.

All good! Just enjoy it here a little my friend!

Talked to guys who would know, including a current assistant. It isn't a done deal, but if there were bets being made, he was it. This is for the national team btw, not Rutgers.

No real insight into Rutgers other than it seems to me the job isn't opening this year. But when it does, I was told there will be a lot of interest in it. Especially from Jersey guys.

I love the idea of Vermes for the USMNT. My only curiosity is that he seems to have pushed back on this idea. It probably comes with the territory, to deny.

R Soccer is frustrating. It is a good job, but perhaps not as good as it once was given the changing landscape of college soccer and post-HS soccer. Kids can go anywhere now - and anywhere includes non-college options.

I definitely wouldn't expect to have him named before President is, regardless of who the choice is. I didn't ask about the President role, though I wished I had. I'll ask when I get back to The States.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Day 59 of the Donigan hostage crisis...guess I'll have to keep this going all year...

Yeah I guess at this point we are going to have to suffer through another horrible men's soccer season!! Just can't figure out what Hobbs is doing on this one and I don't know what day we will be up to on the Donigan hostage crisis but it may be longer than the Iran hostage crisis

I think it stops being a hostage crisis when nobody decides to pay...everyone just walks away and it turns into some kind of uncomfortable sleepover.

Or , in full view of other not performing coaches, you simply kill him and everyone will try harder

Yeah I guess at this point we are going to have to suffer through another horrible men's soccer season!! Just can't figure out what Hobbs is doing on this one and I don't know what day we will be up to on the Donigan hostage crisis but it may be longer than the Iran hostage crisis

Maybe there is fear that getting rid of Donigan and staff would hurt the relationship between PDA and RU men’s soccer—not that it’s really led to much success for RU of late—but many still see PDA as a premier academy and I think almost the whole staff at RU has some connection there.

There are a number of people who would be interested in the RU job with very strong relationships there.

Personally, and I have no inside information, I think it is a contract thing. Soccer donors don't seem to be stepping up, so buying him out is probably one less spend that the department doesn't want to take on. Right now, even though it likely isn't much.

Olympic sports can very much be driven by alumni, especially at a cash strapped school like ours. Based on the lack of fundraising for the facility from that group, I am guessing there was just the same appetite for helping make a coaching change move. If the alums aren't too interested, well...

More guessing, Hobbs will go all in on soccer after some of these other more important initiatives are stabilized.

There are a number of people who would be interested in the RU job with very strong relationships there.

Personally, and I have no inside information, I think it is a contract thing. Soccer donors don't seem to be stepping up, so buying him out is probably one less spend that the department doesn't want to take on. Right now, even though it likely isn't much.

Olympic sports can very much be driven by alumni, especially at a cash strapped school like ours. Based on the lack of fundraising for the facility from that group, I am guessing there was just the same appetite for helping make a coaching change move. If the alums aren't too interested, well...

More guessing, Hobbs will go all in on soccer after some of these other more important initiatives are stabilized.
Maybe if Hobbs made a move the soccer alums would step up. It’s the old chicken or the egg as to which one would happen first

Reactions: Leonard23
Maybe, but there has to be some drive from alums. Just how it works. A change in lacrosse wasn't made, even though it should have been a least 2 or 3 years before it was if not more, until there was a concerted effort from alumni.

That buy out means a lot to other Olympic sports, assuming there is one. If I am Hobbs, right now, I am doing what he likely is. Putting those funds towards a program (s) that are doing well and have a real opportunity to take the next next step. Like MLAX or women's soccer.

Go to the soccer alums, solicit funds for buy out. If you don't get it, you know where you stand. Play out the string, focus where success is more immediate, and when the pay outs continue to increase, the facility is built, you will be in better position to make a splash hire who will be able to hit the ground running.

We aren't Texas or USC. It's very much a zero sum game. Some programs are going to do better than others and get more attention when our funds are so limited. Those closest to success deserve the additional support.

Just my two cents.

Bobby just posted on the Round Table that Hobbs signed Donigan to another 2 yr extension in 2017 through 2019, so the nj.com report was right that his initial 2 yr extension ended after the 2017 season. Abysmal.

Bobby just posted on the Round Table that Hobbs signed Donigan to another 2 yr extension in 2017 through 2019, so the nj.com report was right that his initial 2 yr extension ended after the 2017 season. Abysmal.
If that is true info, then Hobbs really can’t be excused and something weird must be going on. Maybe there is some kind of bookkeeping issue, but if this 2 year deal happened after the failing 2016 season then why not a 1 year extension with an extra year option that Hobbs could pick up if the 2017 season showed improvement? Now Hobbs put himself in a position where the only escape is a buyout of final year which would probably incur more cost than he feels can be taken on right now. Sad.

Actually I was "right" when I told you guys he had 3 (now 2) years left. NJ.com reported this was his FINAL season so how on Earth are THEY "right"?? I mean you and others shot me down and now you're trying to spin it?? Un****ingreal lol!

I've always been 100% honest with things here that I have known to be fact OR have been told to be factual. No reason for me to make shit up, ever, maybe one of these days you (and some others) will actually believe me but I doubt it. Oh well.

Last edited:
If that is true info, then Hobbs really can’t be excused and something weird must be going on. Maybe there is some kind of bookkeeping issue, but if this 2 year deal happened after the failing 2016 season then why not a 1 year extension with an extra year option that Hobbs could pick up if the 2017 season showed improvement? Now Hobbs put himself in a position where the only escape is a buyout of final year which would probably incur more cost than he feels can be taken on right now. Sad.

There are no "issues." If Dan doesn't turn things around the next 2 seasons he'll be gone, plain and simple, sound good? We ARE in the middle of a huge fundraising campaign, for both lax AND soccer, maybe Hobbs felt it best not to stir the pot at this exact moment when he's got a lot of other things on the table.

Yes, I know, it's not the ideal scenario even I can't argue with that, but it is what it is for now. Hobbs has a plan, and he's working it very well thus far, give him a chance to get this right when he's ready to make a move.

Actually I was "right" when I told you guys he had 3 (now 2) years left. NJ.com reported this was his FINAL season so how on Earth are THEY "right"?? I mean you and others shot me down and now you're trying to spin it?? Un****ingreal lol!

I have never once - NOT ONCE - stated something here as a fact without it being as such or purposely mislead this board. Not one time in, what, 15-years now?
Nice try. You were wrong. In Nov 2017, you posted that he had 3 years left, which would've taken him through 2020, not 2019. The nj.com link from March 2017 reported that his contract ended after the 2017 season. After that article, he signed a 2 yr extension through the 2019 season, an abysmal decision by Hobbs.

Nice try. You were wrong. In Nov 2017, you posted that he had 3 years left, which would've taken him through 2020, not 2019. The nj.com link from March 2017 reported that his contract ended after the 2017 season. After that article, he signed a 2 yr extension through the 2019 season, an abysmal decision by Hobbs.

Actually I posted it ion OCTOBER 22ND but nice try buddy! 3 years left, as in "this isn't his final season" - as the NJ.com article claimed and everyone here was using - which gave him the rest of 2017 PLUS 2 more seasons. How on EARTH was I "wrong"? Unreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT