ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers men's soccer...Donigan...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess its just me on a friday sfternoon but that does not seem the way to handle this. If you come out in support at least a recriit may take a chance with Donigan. Granted our alums and boards would freak but there is a larger agenda.
Hobbs absolutely, if this is the answer, come out then and show support.since silence will certainly breed confusion and recruiting uncertainty.

Our issue is there are only very few kids in last years sophomore class . The freshman class does have a full compliment of recruits though.

Going forward we cannot have a second pathetic class that will sink the program for a decade.

Agreed. Which tells me there is more going on than we know. You only make an annoucement like this if there is a change. Hobbs getting up there and saying we suck, but we can't do anything because we don't have the money isn't going to happen. Silence also can speak volumes.

I also know that soccer donations have been lagging, which at a school like Rutgers with very limited funds, is a big problem when moves need to made.

I think Nuts is very likely right when it comes to his contract. There is likely more there and the SL got it wrong. And if the alums or other donors aren't stepping up, that makes the challenge that much harder.

Thumbs up to Cali on this point, right here. I do not think our collective fan base (read: alumni) truly understand how vital money is to the entire university. They see tax dollars going in, tuition being collected, and corporations funding things and think that is it. Those first two revenue streams keep the basics going. The third helps get new ideas off the ground. But, in order to provide a sustainable operation, every university in the country needs private philanthropy to improve itself. Aside from the service academies, there is not an elite university of any stripe who became elite (and stayed elite) without alumni making gifts regularly. Tuition is capped by the state and tax revenue is at the mercy of the voters. The corps will all tell the university, “we’ll get you going, but you need to be able to fund this idea on your own after five years”. We need our alumni to raise their hand and stay involved, no matter the level.

Soap box moment: A common argument against personal giving is, “well, what’s my $$$ going to matter when they need millions upon millions?” Truly: every gift counts when cobbled together with other small gifts. And, keep in mind: there is not a single million dollar+ donor out there who didn’t start off by making $25 gifts.

Exactly right.

Biggest issue right now is the lax/soccer facility. That MUST get done. It's effecting a lot of areas in the department.

#donate

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Just thinking about recruiting and wondering how Donigan might be evaluated over say the last 3 years in terms of getting top NJ talent. It seems to be decent but not very good. I mean of course the stud recruits like toye are going to be sought after by all of the top programs, but it would be nice to see more dynamic athletic type players being brought in. Maybe it’s not necessarily an NJ recruiting issue, but the one thing that seems consistent lately is the reliance on the PDA pipeline. And that is not really paying dividends it seems. But once again, maybe it’s not the players who are recruited as much as the system they are put in. I guess I would just say that there seems to be a lack of athleticism on the roster overall in comparison to other teams. A factor which seems especially detrimental to a team who often reverts to a kick and run approach. Also, besides the new Center back, the defense seems very weak. It seems like they often use non-defenders on the wings and I saw lots of defenders just getting beat too easily.

I asked the question a few years ago. Does anyone in the administration really care about mens soccer? Is anyone even paying attention?
I have watched and been critical for a few years now, I genuinely believe that I may be paying more attention then your AD.
In year 8, with the record that has been produced, would the Head Basketball or Football coach still be at Rutgers?
This has nothing to do with facilities. This is an ideal situation for any competent college soccer coach.
In his first years at RU, Donigan recruited pretty well.
Correa, Brucoleri,Tainter, Corboz, Ross Tetro, Sa, Hambleton, and Greczek were all top quality guys.
Jason Wright would have completed the lineup if Corboz had stayed.
The staff miss used the group to an extent that your best player had enough and decided to leave.
Corboz was the type of player that a coach cannot lose.
Maybe he was smart enough to see the hand writing on the wall.
The recruiting tailed off after the players I mentioned.
I do not see one impact player from NY or NJ in any of the subsequent classes.
Next year the squad will be even worse.
Rutgers will be losing most of its quality players.
Sa,Tetro,Guzmon,Hambleton,Perez and Decker are probably 6 of your best players.
Who is the impact midfielder or striker that can change games for you next year.
All six I mentioned were quality players for PDA academy and NY Redbulls.
Sa, Tetro, Hambleton, and Decker all played for US Youth National teams.
Guzmon was the captain of the PDA Academy team that won the national championship.
The top players at these academies are all going to be impact guys in college.
Many of the support players at these academies will not.
The quality in the Rutgers program going forward is nowhere near where it should be.

Totally agree and I wonder if PDA has been on some degree of a slide over the past few years as it seems like that is a Rutgers pipeline with the coaching staffs of PDA and RU basically being the same—and the (I think) regular influx of PDA guys are not really making a positive difference. I wonder if Red Bull, philly Union, and cedar stars are turning out more top academy talent and therefore making what seems like a sweet pipeline between RU and PDA, not so great anymore. I think one Red Bull and cedar star recruit in current freshmen group, and maybe 3 PDA. Haven’t taken time to closely evaluate each of the new players who have seen time, but on a broad level, the results don’t reflect well on them. Of course, we always have to ask, is the coach putting them in best system to produce though.

I am not a soccer guy by any means but, I know a head HS coach for Soccer who had a player just graduate. He says that he does not believe that Donigan is getting fired and that one of his biggest issues is recruiting, he is not getting any of the top level players and he said that he is affiliated with the Red Bull program? ( I am not sure if that is true but, this guy would know.) The problem is that he is not getting the top kids from that program and not even the 2nd their kids but the kids below that.

I was also told that the fund raising for the Soccer/lacrosse facility is well behind schedule as they have only received 20% of the money they need to start, and it has mostly come from Men's Lacrosse. When I spoke to Mr. Hobbs he said that the key to Hale center expansion (what I am interested in) was the Soccer and Lacrosse facility and if I wanted to help football we needed to get those teams out of the Hale Center first.
I terms of recruiting both Men's lacrosse and Women's soccer have been fairly successful in recruiting with the same facilities. Actually I think that soccer have dedicated grass practice field and their own stadium for games. I do not even know where lacrosse practices or plays there games

I am not a soccer guy by any means but, I know a head HS coach for Soccer who had a player just graduate. He says that he does not believe that Donigan is getting fired and that one of his biggest issues is recruiting, he is not getting any of the top level players and he said that he is affiliated with the Red Bull program? ( I am not sure if that is true but, this guy would know.) The problem is that he is not getting the top kids from that program and not even the 2nd their kids but the kids below that.

I was also told that the fund raising for the Soccer/lacrosse facility is well behind schedule as they have only received 20% of the money they need to start, and it has mostly come from Men's Lacrosse. When I spoke to Mr. Hobbs he said that the key to Hale center expansion (what I am interested in) was the Soccer and Lacrosse facility and if I wanted to help football we needed to get those teams out of the Hale Center first.
I terms of recruiting both Men's lacrosse and Women's soccer have been fairly successful in recruiting with the same facilities. Actually I think that soccer have dedicated grass practice field and their own stadium for games. I do not even know where lacrosse practices or plays there games
The B1G build fund is really stagnating. Sad.

Reactions: Leonard23
Kind of chicken and egg situation. Is a stronger coach and direction of program needed in order to get more donor support, or is the new facility necessary in order to attract a more high profile and effective coaching staff and level of recruits?

Kind of chicken and egg situation. Is a stronger coach and direction of program needed in order to get more donor support, or is the new facility necessary in order to attract a more high profile and effective coaching staff and level of recruits?
Facilities aren't holding back our men's soccer team. Women's soccer is successful. Men's LAX is successful. Donigan is holding back our team.

Reactions: mighty_knights
Sounds like Donigan is not only striking out on the recruiting front, but on the fundraising side as well. Anyone know what kind of relationships he has with soccer alumni, does he keep them actively involved in the program? That is a huge part of college coaching nowadays, can't leave it up to the fundraising teams. My buddy almost refuses to allow anyone else meet with soccer donors with out him, to keep the relationships up, and ensure the $ allocated correctly.

Recipe for a B1G men's soccer coach:

- Poor recruiting :100points:
- Poor style of play & coaching :100points:
- Poor fundraising :100points:
- Losing often :100points:

:(:gun:

Reactions: Esipos1
Facilities aren't holding back our men's soccer team. Women's soccer is successful. Men's LAX is successful. Donigan is holding back our team.

MLAX is successful in spite of our facilities. They are the worst in the B1G. And it isn't even close. We are way behind the eight ball there, which is putting it mildly.

Imagine what Coach Brecht will do when he is playing on an even playing field as it relates to facilities and more funding.

Reactions: RickB113
MLAX is successful in spite of our facilities. They are the worst in the B1G. And it isn't even close. We are way behind the eight ball there, which is putting it mildly.

Imagine what Coach Brecht will do when he is playing on an even playing field as it relates to facilities and more funding.
Exactly my point. The right coach overcomes facilities.

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
Exactly my point. The right coach overcomes facilities.

The can for a certain time. This isn't sustainable though. Because you can look at the other side of it. A coach who is successful at a place with sub par facilities gets noticed. Those same coaches who are successful without being on an even playing field, will want to be on an even playing field to win even bigger. The same goes for players. Players want facilities.

A guy like Coach Brecht has a ton of drive. And by drive I mean win big. He is very happy at Rutgers. Right now. If the facilities don't change and he is tasked with recruiting against programs who have all the bells and whistles, and one of those programs comes calling, well, I wouldn't shocked some day if he left. Things are always changing, and Rutgers needs to too. In this instance, we MUST get this facility done. Coach Brecht is known in the lacrosse world. Other big programs know who he is, so this is all very imperative.

We are at a real cross road in terms of where this could go. Keep momentum by having a monster year, announce the facility, thereby telling the world that Rutgers is a player here to stay.

Or we don't get it done, are playing with one hand behind our back like always, and this will all be the good ole days. There isn't an Olympic sport right now that needs more attention than lacrosse and that facility. We will never be in a better position to seize momentum than we are right now. Do that, and under Coach Brecht, we can win big.

Donate.

Reactions: Rhuarc and TRU2RU
Look at women's soccer with the same facilities. They just keep getting better. Not saying new & better facilities wouldn't further enhance their success.

Reactions: Leonard23
Of course it would. It's no different than any other sport, namely football and basketball. There is a reason the Kentucky's of the world are always upgrading. Same concept- it attracts talent, and enhances that talent when it gets it. Lacrosse is no different. We have the worst facility in the B1G.

That undoubtedly needs to change to keep pace.

I think that soccer has that dedicated practice facility across from Yurchak plus they have Yurchak. Which I am assuming is better than where ever the Lacrosse team plays and practices. But, yes they have the same facilities as men’s soccer

The lax team plays in the stadium.

Oddly enough, Yurcak was a lacrosse player, not soccer player.

The biggest issue is the locker room/training facility and meeting rooms. Honestly, it’s embarrassing compared to our peers. Needs to get fixed. ASAP

Reactions: TRU2RU
My prediction:
Donigan stays
Next year the team finishes maybe 3-4 games under 500
A slightly better record but no real advancement in quality of play
The struggle contIndies

Well, look at it this way: Donigan's won as many NCAA tournament games in the last two seasons as Sasho Cirovski, at a much lower price...

This is another big recruiting year for Donigan.
As previously stated, he is losing some quality players.
He will have to find some guys that can come in and compete immediately for the team improve.
Sa and Guzmon were 4 year starters and Perez was a starter much of his junior and senior years.
Tetro also started many games over his career
Donigan brought in a big class this past year and will probably have to bring in a lot of players again.
That will tie up most of our scholarships (9.5) for awhile so he better bring in good ones

It's sad to hear that guys are already interviewing with SHU and PSU, while RU sits on its hands and does nothing to better the program.

The lower price of unwatchability.

LOL. Some of us Maryland fans are starting to feel like our team can be unwatchable as well. They spend so much time and energy looking for the perfect scoring play -- then the other team get's a haphazard rush or two and scores to win 1-0.

I'm sure Sasho will fix it. A lot of talent was wasted this year and last, though...

This is another big recruiting year for Donigan.
As previously stated, he is losing some quality players.
He will have to find some guys that can come in and compete immediately for the team improve.
Sa and Guzmon were 4 year starters and Perez was a starter much of his junior and senior years.
Tetro also started many games over his career
Donigan brought in a big class this past year and will probably have to bring in a lot of players again.
That will tie up most of our scholarships (9.5) for awhile so he better bring in good ones

Not sure if A) it’s possible for Donigan to bring in a strong recruiting class. I mean, who would want to come to this dumpster fire? And B) if he somehow could, would it really matter? Unless you get a real blue chip Jason Wright type, for the most part these academy players are pretty interchangeable (for the most part). College soccer is not a very advanced game soccer wise except for the very top tier of programs. The majority have basically similar good athletic players trained in an academy style and the difference is made by the coaching system, style, and motivation. These are things that Rutgers currently lacks and therefore I see no light at the end of the tunnel until a change in coaching occurs.

I mean the two freshmen this year who I guess are looked at as top recruits and did make big ten all freshman team, did well, but didn’t really make a difference on the overall performance of the team. And one would have hoped with their accolades and seemingly good play, that those two plus core of upperclassmen would have netted much better results. So if the upper class core will be much weaker next year, and we don’t really know how good the freshmen from this year really are (I mean they looked good to me but once again the results don’t quite support that and an argument can be made that if a freshman starts and plays virtually every minute, that they will by default get awarded all freshman team) then I’m not sure what a “great” recruiting class will actually do. Especially if it doesn’t include a difference maker up top.

On the subject of academies and college Soccer, does anyone have thoughts about how the relationship between the USSDA and D1 Soccer might evolve in a positive direction?

I mean right now, D1 programs are reaping the benefits of academy system but isn’t the end game ultimately from the perspective of USSDA to develop players that will go straight to MLS or some other professional league?

Isn’t it the case that college soccer is not really integrated into the US soccer system and if anything is seen as an outlier within the development pyramid leading to the national team system?

I mean there are certainly college players who have been and maybe are part of national team pools, but doesn’t college soccer overall represent one of the main factors that makes US Soccer so developmentally different from almost every other country in the world-and many would say that this is not a positive difference?

I mean there isn’t really any tie between NCAA soccer and US Soccer is there? So what is the role of college soccer within US Soccer vision and what does it mean that all these academy players are going to college and ceasing their development within US Soccer pyramid?

Wonder if any current players are transferring out. I mean like if I was a freshman who got time here and could move on to a better program with funding-I think I’d be seriously considering it after being recruited under a cloud of mediocrity with the positive hope for a change for the better to only see the same sad story now up close-yeah the more I think about it, I’d be gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT